PDA

View Full Version : If you were to come up with a medical definition...

Ike
12/15/2006, 05:25 PM
of "undead" what would that be?

Previously, I would have claimed that an animated being with no pulse would fit the bill. But then I saw this today:

http://www.theglobeandmail.com/servlet/story/RTGAM.20061213.wheart1213/BNStory/specialScienceandHealth/home

MONTREAL — A 65-year-old Quebec man who received a new long-term mechanical heart last month is being described as the only living Canadian without a pulse.

Dr. Renzo Cecere implanted the “Heartmate II” mechanical heart into Gerard Langevin in an three-hour operation Nov. 23.

The new mechanical heart, which is powered by batteries located in pouches on Mr. Langevin's body, provides a continuous flow of blood so the patient has no pulse.

“Mr. Langevin happens to be the only individual currently living in Canada without a pulse and without a measurable blood pressure,” Dr. Cecere said Wednesday.

So now I'm not so sure that I have a good definition for undeadness. One could say that it would be defined as an animated creature having no blood flow, but then how do you tell since this man has neither a pulse nor a measurable blood pressure?

This is important **** people.

yermom
12/15/2006, 05:29 PM
is it the insatiable hunger for brains?

Ike
12/15/2006, 05:31 PM
is it the insatiable hunger for brains?
Obviously no, because a vampire is also considered undead, and they have no inherent interest in brains.

GottaHavePride
12/15/2006, 05:32 PM
Yeah, I think it's the brains thing. And saying Arghrgaargargghghhraragahgrg a lot.

Edit - ooh, vampires. Hang on a sec...

yermom
12/15/2006, 05:35 PM
yeah, yeah vampires, whatever

let's not get out of the realm of possibility here ;)

Ike
12/15/2006, 05:40 PM
OK, so I think I have a better definition now, but it is still problematic. The undead have no need for breathing. This doesn't mean that they don't breathe however, just that they don't need to. So, in that case, the test for undeadness is to drown the suspected undead being. If they live, they are either undead or just capable of holding their breath for a really long time.

GottaHavePride
12/15/2006, 05:41 PM
OK, so I think I have a better definition now, but it is still problematic. The undead have no need for breathing. This doesn't mean that they don't breathe however, just that they don't need to. So, in that case, the test for undeadness is to drown the suspected undead being. If they live, they are either undead or just capable of holding their breath for a really long time.

Well, she LOOKS like a witch!

StoopTroup
12/15/2006, 05:42 PM
No longer living but supernaturally animated?

Ike
12/15/2006, 05:43 PM
Well, she LOOKS like a witch!
like I said...it's problematic.

Ike
12/15/2006, 05:44 PM
No longer living but supernaturally animated?
But how would, say a doctor, who has no prior knowledge of any active supernatural effects, determine whether a person is undead or not?

In other words...how does one diagnose undeadness?