PDA

View Full Version : Happy Hannukah!

Frozen Sooner
12/15/2006, 02:05 PM
Today marks the beginning of the Festival of Lights, חנכה.

Hannukah commemorates the rededication of the Temple after the desecration by Antiochus IV. Jewish tradition states that there was only enough olive oil to light the Temple's eternal flame for one day, but it miraculously burned for eight-the time needed to press and consecrate more oil to keep the flame lit.

L'chaim to the Jewish SF.com posters!

crawfish
12/15/2006, 02:10 PM
Now you've offended me! :mad:

Frozen Sooner
12/15/2006, 02:11 PM
Well, really, that's what I was hoping for.

Viking Kitten
12/15/2006, 02:20 PM
My son's first grade class is studying different holiday traditions. He told me last night he wanted to become Jewish so he could get presents for eight days. I told him to take it up with his Jewish aunt. He said in a very Seinfeldesque manner, "Oh, I will."

handcrafted
12/15/2006, 03:51 PM
You're getting perilously close to running afoul of the SF.com establishment clause, bucko.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/15/2006, 04:19 PM
In keeping with the spirit...

I have a little dreidel
I made it out of clay
And when it's dry and ready
Then dreidel I shall play!

chorus:
Oh - dreidel, dreidel, dreidel
I made it out of clay
And when it's dry and ready
Then dreidel I shall play!

It has a lovely body
With legs so short and thin
And when my dreidel’s tired
It drops and then I win!

chorus

My dreidel’s always playful
It loves to dance and spin
A happy game of dreidel
Come play now, let’s begin!

chorus

SoonerJack
12/15/2006, 04:25 PM
Growing, one of my neighbors was Jewish and observed Hannukah. I was so jealous.

Partial Qualifier
12/15/2006, 04:41 PM
My fam (on my dad's side) does Hannaukah. Messianic Judaists, not Hebrew, long story, etc. Fun Times.

Taxman71
12/15/2006, 04:44 PM
Dream your gin and tonica,
And smoke your marijuanica,
have a happy, happy, happy, happy Hannukah

Czar Soonerov
12/15/2006, 05:09 PM
Growing, one of my neighbors was Jewish and observed Hannukah. I was so jealous.

I had a couple friends who hated being Jewish, cause they were limited to 8 presents.

If we were Jewish, I'd give my kid games for his PS3 the first couple of days, but he wouldn't get the PS3 until the last day. MUHAHAHAHA....:P

proud gonzo
12/15/2006, 05:14 PM
I made sugar cookies today... some of them are shaped and decorated like dreidels. :D

crawfish
12/15/2006, 05:24 PM
My son's first grade class is studying different holiday traditions. He told me last night he wanted to become Jewish so he could get presents for eight days. I told him to take it up with his Jewish aunt. He said in a very Seinfeldesque manner, "Oh, I will."

If we were Jewish, I'd give my kid a games for his PS3 the first couple of days, but wouldn't get the PS3 until the last day. MUHAHAHAHA....

Poor kid. :D

Oldnslo
12/15/2006, 10:47 PM
Ba-ruch a-tah A-do-nai
E-lo-hei-nu me-lach ha-o-lam
a-sher kid'-sha-nu b'-mitz-vo-tav
v'-tzi-va-nu l'-had-lik neir shel cha-nu-kah

Ba-ruch a-tah A-do-nai
She-a-sah ni-sim la-vo-tei-nu
Ba-ya-mim ha-heim baz-man ha-zeh.

Ba-ruch a-tah A-do-nai
She-he-che-ya-nu v'-ki-y'-ma-nu
V'-hi-gi-a-nu laz'-man ha-zeh*

* Blessed is the Eternal our God, Ruler of the universe, by whose Mitzvot we are hallowed, who commands us to kindle the Chanukah lights.

Blessed is the Eternal our God, Ruler of the universe, who performed miracles for our ancestors in days of old at this season.

Blessed is the Eternal our God, Ruler of the universe, for giving us life, for sustaining us, and for enabling us to reach this season.

a-men.*

*so be it.

A joyous holiday season to all!

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/15/2006, 11:37 PM
I see nothing about killing non-Jewish infidels, so far. What kind of wimp religion is this?

TUSooner
12/16/2006, 01:27 PM
Ba-ruch a-tah A-do-nai
a-sher kid'-sha-nu b'-mitz-vo-tav
v'-tzi-va-nu l'-had-lik neir shel cha-nu-kah

Ba-ruch a-tah A-do-nai
She-a-sah ni-sim la-vo-tei-nu
Ba-ya-mim ha-heim baz-man ha-zeh.

Ba-ruch a-tah A-do-nai
She-he-che-ya-nu v'-ki-y'-ma-nu
V'-hi-gi-a-nu laz'-man ha-zeh*

* Blessed is the Eternal our God, Ruler of the universe, by whose Mitzvot we are hallowed, who commands us to kindle the Chanukah lights.

Blessed is the Eternal our God, Ruler of the universe, who performed miracles for our ancestors in days of old at this season.

Blessed is the Eternal our God, Ruler of the universe, for giving us life, for sustaining us, and for enabling us to reach this season.

a-men.*

*so be it.

A joyous holiday season to all!

SWEET!

Here's a "MAZEL-TOV" for use whenever appropriate. :D

Paperclip
12/16/2006, 01:47 PM
I see nothing about killing non-Jewish infidels, so far. What kind of wimp religion is this?

It's too expensive.

I keed, I keed.