PDA

View Full Version : AWACS question

OUDoc
12/15/2006, 01:52 PM
When I see those AWACS planes taking off and landing at Tinker, where do they go? I mean, are there a lot of AWACS in the air at any given time patrolling the skies? Are they only looking at military aircraft or all aircraft? Or are they mostly on training runs? How long do they stay up? Just curious. I'm sure someone here knows, it is the South Oval after all. :)

Mjcpr
12/15/2006, 01:53 PM
I read somewhere that they go to Starbucks, Target and then lunch.

OUDoc
12/15/2006, 01:54 PM
Man, there are Starbucks everywhere.

Frozen Sooner
12/15/2006, 01:58 PM
They go to Elmendorf, refuel, then come back. ;)

fadada1
12/15/2006, 01:59 PM
my uncle did some AWACS stuff. i'll ask him.

jk the sooner fan
12/15/2006, 02:12 PM
i dont think any of you are cleared for the answer

OUDoc
12/15/2006, 02:13 PM
i dont think any of you are cleared for the answer
We don't have clearance, Clarence.

ousoonerfan
12/15/2006, 02:35 PM
We don't have clearance, Clarence.

What's your vector, Victor?

TheHumanAlphabet
12/15/2006, 02:59 PM
Do you like looking at men in tight shorts?:rolleyes:

Paperclip
12/15/2006, 03:14 PM
A lot of those flights are 11 hours or so in duration. They're not just patroling the skies above Oklahoma.

fadada1
12/15/2006, 03:18 PM
i know they do "war games" over the high desert areas. those things are basically combat controlers up in the air.

mdklatt
12/15/2006, 04:53 PM
Those guys do a lot of practice landings, too.

afs
12/15/2006, 07:31 PM
a. Training Missions - self training, pilot training, controller training

b. real world missions

c. Exercises (such as the ones at Nellis) but also they assist with exercises being put on by other bases that need to be qualified working with an AWACS

d. TDY - Elmendorf, Kadena

Sooner24
12/15/2006, 08:26 PM
Those guys do a lot of practice landings, too.

If you watch them they just circle around then do a touch and go or whatever the proper terminology is.

Before 9/11 I was driving on I-40 and got off the Interstate and parked at the milk bottle looking thing on the north side of the road right across from TAFB. The AWAC was coming right over the top of me and doing a touch and go then would circle around and doing it again. I had my camera with me and took a couple of rolls of film with this thing just a hundred feet or so directly over head. I got some great shots.

If I stopped and did that today it wouldn't be five minutes before I had company. :eek:

StoopTroup
12/15/2006, 08:38 PM

I think they might be coming for you right now...lol

Sooner24
12/15/2006, 09:38 PM

I think they might be coming for you right now...lol

:eek:

reevie
12/16/2006, 09:23 AM
I read somewhere that they go to Starbucks, Target and then lunch.

Well, now that there is a Starbucks and Target across the street from the base, I doubt they're flying there.

Jerk
12/16/2006, 10:22 AM
I have a friend in which we share mutual hobbies of guns and r/c airplanes who is now a IP pilot at Vance (still lives in Edmond and commutes everyday to Enid :eek:) . He used to be an AWAX IP and before that an AWAX PIC. From what he told me, they go damned near anywhere in the world from TAFB. Alot of their missions were flying over the Gulf of Mexico looking for low flying general aviation aircraft heading north. He also flew around Iraq and Afghanistan back during the early years of teh war.

AlbqSooner
12/16/2006, 11:53 AM
Be aware that Tinker is the primary maintenance location for the 135 (awacs and refuelers). Hence, a goodly portion of the planes you see are being returned to service in their respective locations after an oil change and lube visit to Tinker.

Zbird
12/16/2006, 03:30 PM
When I see those AWACS planes taking off and landing at Tinker, where do they go? I mean, are there a lot of AWACS in the air at any given time patrolling the skies? Are they only looking at military aircraft or all aircraft? Or are they mostly on training runs? How long do they stay up? Just curious. I'm sure someone here knows, it is the South Oval after all. :)

Ask one of those guys in the impeccable gray suits and shiny shoes wearing sunglasses. They should be discretely placed within sight of you on all sides or riding in that helicopter hovering above you right now. :rolleyes:

oilmud
12/16/2006, 03:37 PM
Be aware that Tinker is the primary maintenance location for the 135 (awacs and refuelers). Hence, a goodly portion of the planes you see are being returned to service in their respective locations after an oil change and lube visit to Tinker.

you said lube. :D :D :D

OUHOMER
12/16/2006, 03:46 PM
they do touch and goes at Will Rogers all the time. Funny thing is most of the time they never touch. they get within a few feet and take off again. Saving rubber I guess