PDA

View Full Version : Jevan Snead

fwsooner22
12/15/2006, 11:21 AM
Snead now considering UNT.........according to the Dallas Morning News and the Ticket..........would post linky but I am not allowed...........;)

DalHorn
12/15/2006, 11:53 AM
not surprising. Todd Dodge is the most feared and respected coach in Texas high school ball. He also has college experience - at UNT previously.

He won't out-recruit the big 12 schools but will compete successfully with TCU, SMU and the like. If you live in the D/FW area you know what I mean. Every kid in the region wants to play for Southlake and his system.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/15/2006, 12:02 PM
Well he has just visited UH and is on to a Ole Miss visit, no mention of UNT here (http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/headline/sports/4404162.html). Houston Chronicle mentioned TCU as well. Briles a former Stephenville coach may have an inside track...

westcoast_sooner
12/15/2006, 01:11 PM
I honestly don't get what this kid is thinking. He would LIKELY have had a huge opportunity to work with the 1st team Offense for their bowl practices, and possibly start the bowl game for them.

Colt's injury didn't look healed at all in their game against a&m, and looked like it got worse with that hit. Plus the fact that their press indicates that Matt McCoy is #1 right now, since Snead decided to transfer. Their bowl game is a couple of weeks off, and with the extra month running their offense, Snead might have had the inside track going into next spring for them.

Snead going to trot off to UNT or someplace. IMO, he just threw away a great opportunity.

ashley
12/15/2006, 01:37 PM
I am sure he is the closest to the situation and knows the most about it.

colleyvillesooner
12/15/2006, 01:58 PM
Former Texas QB Snead considering visit to UNT

11:47 PM CST on Thursday, December 14, 2006

DENTON – Stephenville coach Chad Morris said former Texas quarterback Jevan Snead might add UNT to his list of schools. Snead has visited TCU and Houston and is scheduled to meet with coaches at Mississippi today. Morris said UNT's decision to hire Southlake Carroll's Todd Dodge, who will install a spread offense, caught Snead's interest.

Brett Vito

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/spt/stories/121506dnsposnead.e49d808.html#

TXBOOMER
12/15/2006, 03:59 PM
McCoy will be looking for a transfer after Brantley gets on campus.

arlington
12/17/2006, 05:59 AM
I am with westcoast on this one..If he were my kid and since the school he is transferring to hasnt started yet, i would have made sure he said nothing and stuck it out through the bowl game..Doesnt anyone finish what they start anymore? What if in the month of practice he improved greatly with the increase in snaps and played a great game? Colt was fantastic this year but there is no guarantee that he has the skillset to be "the man" for 3 more years..Bye Bye great OLine that kept me from getting hit most of the season..If the statement you are how you finish, right now Colt is a guy who due to size may spend the next 3 years dinged up if they cant line up 4 all conference OLinemen to protect him..At least enjoy your last experience with your teammates and get some free goodies from the bowl committee

AlbqSooner
12/17/2006, 06:41 AM
I am sure he is the closest to the situation and knows the most about it.
I thought the same thing about Tommy Grady.

Texas Golfer
12/17/2006, 10:37 AM
I have no problem with these kids doing what they THINK is in their best interests. But honoring your commitments should be of concern to them.

Had Tommy Grady stayed at OU, he probably would have been our starting QB this year, if not last year after our poor start. He may well have been on his way to super stardom. We will never know. What's more, HE'LL never know. Instead of being a backup at OU, he's a backup at Utah. Trying not to be an OU homer, but I think he definitely took a demotion.

Jevan Snead, had he honored his commitment, would be the starting QB in UT's bowl game and, as it's been mentioned, with a month of taking all the snaps at practice, he may have impressed many and even secure the lead into next season. Again, we'll never know. And again, what's more is HE'LL never know. Any of the programs he's looking into will definitely be a demotion.

I don't know what these kids are thinking. I don't know what their parents are thinking. Maybe they're THINKING it's in their best interests.

BOOMERBRADLEY
12/17/2006, 11:13 AM
Tommy transferred obviously because of the depth chart, but he was messing around in the classroom as well.

Jevan is a solid player and should be able to put up big numbers at a school like UNT, best of luck to the young man though.

aero
12/17/2006, 02:18 PM
He may have missed an opportunity but not to enhance his chances of starting at Texas. McCoy is Mack's man unless (or even) if he's hurt. Snead knows that and that's why he's gone. Maybe he's a better qb or at least he believes so, which any good player should, so time to move on and have a chance to show his abilities. He could have used the bowl to showcase his talents to peak interest from other schools. Yes, things change and sometimes quickly. McCoy may not heal or get hurt again but I would agree his best chance is to move on. We don't know the dynamics of the situation. Maybe there was something with the coaching staff or his teammates that told him better to cut ties and move on.

stoopified
12/17/2006, 04:40 PM
I am sure he is the closest to the situation and knows the most about it.Who cares?
Besides which anything that can messup UT is OK by me.

goodonya
12/17/2006, 05:58 PM
Just a little ditty. One of my son's friends that I've taken on outdoors adventures for the last 8-years is on the U of H baseball team. Last Thursday night Snead was at a big baseball holiday party and this friend said that Jevan had a really, really good time and was very much inclined to the Cougs. I know he is visiting other schools such as Ole' Miss but based upon what I heard in the duck blind this morning it is not out of the question that he will be a Coug. That's all.

bluedogok
12/17/2006, 06:18 PM
Look at all of the NFL quarterbacks that came from "small" schools, if you are good enough they will find you. Sitting on a bench at a "big" school will rarely get you that chance.If he goes to UH or UNT and puts up obscene numbers and wins a good amount of games he will be wanted.

westcoast_sooner
12/17/2006, 07:06 PM
Still, the problem I have with the whole situation is that before the bowl game, Snead decides to pick up his toys and go home. I guess it just goes to show how fortunes can change quickly. One minute, Texas has two QBs that are pretty good, with a third coming in next year who is also highly regarded. The next, they are starting the bowl game with a 3rd string guy who hasn't taken a snap.

IMO, :mack: screwed the pooch on this one. He probably could have found a way to keep Snead without endangering Brantley's committment. Snead screwed himself, making his dissatisfaction, and selfishness known before the end of the season, when he knew that Colt was injured.

This turmoil does not bode well, IMO, for UT.

Curly Bill
12/17/2006, 07:28 PM
Having seen Colt McCoy up close and in person I was shocked that he was named the whorns starting QB..I mean he looks no more like a D-I QB then the little kid that lives down the street. Also watched him play B-ball, which he did in HS...he wasn't the best athlete on his HS team. Maybe Snead, who does look like an athlete, and who was a big-time recruit, couldn't stand the thought of being behind McCoy...and with Brantley coming onboard...

utex74
12/17/2006, 11:17 PM
McCoy will be looking for a transfer after Brantley gets on campus.

Brantley wants to redshirt and Colt will stay at Texas regardless. He is different from Snead. Snead's goal is to build a record for a possible NFL shot. This is his third school choice in a year. Colt just wants to play for Texas. All he's ever wanted to do. I do think one of Harris, Chiles or Brantley will transfer, though. (my guess is Chiles) Even with Snead gone a school cannot support four underclass quarterbacks.

Also, Snead was asked to play in the bowl game and compete in the spring before making a decision to transfer. He declined. I think there is a reason he did not play more during the season.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/17/2006, 11:20 PM
Brantley wants to redshirt and Colt will stay at Texas regardless. He is different from Snead. Snead's goal is to build a record for a possible NFL shot. This is his third school choice in a year. Colt just wants to play for Texas. All he's ever wanted to do. I do think one of Harris, Chiles or Brantley will transfer, though. (my guess is Chiles) Even with Snead gone a school cannot support four underclass quarterbacks.

Also, Snead was asked to play in the bowl game and compete in the spring before making a decision to transfer. He declined. I think there is a reason he did not play more during the season.

out of curiosity, didn't you have another player that had the weakness problem that mccoy is having?

BASSooner
12/17/2006, 11:23 PM

Is it the same way with depth in other positions? I have heard of three other players transferring. Mack is a good recruiter, don't get me wrong, but I just think he is getting every single player that he wants, and that includes players that he does not necessarily need.

utex74
12/17/2006, 11:27 PM
out of curiosity, didn't you have another player that had the weakness problem that mccoy is having?

Cedric Bentson got a "stinger" in the 2001 CCG. It took him a long time to get strength back in his arm and wasn't ready for the Holiday Bowl that year. I don't know if Colt is that badly hurt or not. His classmates say he is having no pain. He is throwing and lifting weights so I guess we'll just have to wait and see.

utex74
12/17/2006, 11:32 PM
Is it the same way with depth in other positions? I have heard of three other players transferring. Mack is a good recruiter, don't get me wrong, but I just think he is getting every single player that he wants, and that includes players that he does not necessarily need.

I know of two others transferring. As far as stocking at other positions I'm pretty sure we don't have that "problem" at linebacker. :mad:

Also, we needed a couple to transfer before we could take all of the committments this year. Usually 2 or 3 leave.

jrsooner
12/17/2006, 11:36 PM
Still, the problem I have with the whole situation is that before the bowl game, Snead decides to pick up his toys and go home.Is he trying to get enrolled in a school by New Year's Day, so he can do Spring practice with the school he's going to? ut plays December 30th, and that may break any enrollment deadlines he would have to meet. So yeah, I can see pulling out as quick as possible if there were other factors involved.

westcoast_sooner
12/18/2006, 12:45 AM
Is he trying to get enrolled in a school by New Year's Day, so he can do Spring practice with the school he's going to? ut plays December 30th, and that may break any enrollment deadlines he would have to meet. So yeah, I can see pulling out as quick as possible if there were other factors involved.

I actually have no idea when he's wants to enroll at his new school, and that wasn't my point. My point was that Snead's decision to make it public that he wants to transfer while his team is preparing for a bowl game stinks, in my opinion. Seems like there's no team in Texas.

jrsooner
12/18/2006, 05:42 AM
My point was that Snead's decision to make it public that he wants to transfer while his team is preparing for a bowl game stinks, in my opinion. Seems like there's no team in Texas.I don't think it mattered when he went "public" with it. With the media and message boards concerning college football, and being a high profile story, it would've been out very quickly. Sometimes the best thing to do is get it out in the open, and then move on.

westcoast_sooner
12/19/2006, 12:19 AM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2701760

Very interesting that Snead would pick Ole Miss.

arlington
12/19/2006, 09:20 AM
Im not saying that he should not transfer..QBs arent safeties.You cant rotate them in and out to ensure they get the playing time to be happy..But even with his transfer, that doesnt go into effect until january so Jevean could have completed his committment, Enjoyed the bowl experience and enhanced his skills with a month of practice and a bowl game..AS a member of the team, he should have cared enough about his TEAMMATES to enjoy the bowl experience with them instead of sitting on his couch the month of January..From outside in, either he is an extremely self absorbed young man OR he really feels screwed over by MACK and is happy as heck to leave MAck shorthanded at QB in the Bowl game..

For those who think Colt is a lock for 4 year starter, think about his slight of build and the lack of proven lineman returning for next year which means more hits..Add that UT says they are going to a more conventional offense where he will take even more hits since he wont be able to start 7 yards deep in the shotgun every play..There is no guarantee that Colt will have a better season than this one he just had.

Taxman71
12/19/2006, 05:00 PM
Personally, I would have kept it on the downlow just to enjoy the free trip and swag from the bowl game......err....forgot they were playing in the Alamo Bowl. Now is as good as time as any to ditch Austin.

toast
12/19/2006, 05:07 PM
Im not saying that he should not transfer..QBs arent safeties.You cant rotate them in and out to ensure they get the playing time to be happy..But even with his transfer, that doesnt go into effect until january so Jevean could have completed his committment, Enjoyed the bowl experience and enhanced his skills with a month of practice and a bowl game..AS a member of the team, he should have cared enough about his TEAMMATES to enjoy the bowl experience with them instead of sitting on his couch the month of January..From outside in, either he is an extremely self absorbed young man OR he really feels screwed over by MACK and is happy as heck to leave MAck shorthanded at QB in the Bowl game..

long separations usually don't work out, it was probably best for him and his former teammates that he moved on.

soonerspudman
12/20/2006, 12:51 PM
If you didn't watch ESPN last night, he's starting for A&M in the holiday bowl.

Flagstaffsooner
12/20/2006, 12:57 PM
He's going to Ole Miss.
Linky (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/sec/2006-12-20-olemiss-snead_x.htm)

soonerspudman
12/20/2006, 01:33 PM
Seriously, ESPN gaffed last night when reviewing the Holiday bowl matchup and talked about if McCoy or Snead would start v. California. Unvelievable.

tulsaoilerfan
12/20/2006, 08:02 PM
From what i saw of Snead, he wouldn't have beaten out McCoy if both were healthy