PDA

View Full Version : 29 Questions about the Bowls....

Blues1
12/15/2006, 10:39 AM
Link

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16177993/

Look at question # 28 ---- :eek:

Keep Rockin'

Oklahoma 52 -- BS State 22 (Maybe)

Boomer.....
12/15/2006, 10:59 AM
18. What would draw higher TV ratings? The New Mexico Bowl between New Mexico and San Jose State, or the 4 a.m. test pattern on channel 84? Don't answer too fast.

heh.

Fraggle145
12/15/2006, 11:09 AM
28. What does Oklahoma have to gain by playing Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl? Abso-freaking-lutley nothing. Poor Sooners. Or, is it: Poor Broncos?

:cool:

Texas Golfer
12/15/2006, 11:24 AM
Please don't anyone take this as complaining since I enjoy college football and am looking forward to all of the games, I still think that the luster of bowl reward for a good season is lost when more than half of the teams are going bowling.

Spanish Sooner
12/15/2006, 11:29 AM
its why 6-6 teams should go, we shouldnt reward mediocrity. If we did that their would be less bowls and we would only be rewarding the teams with winning records. But as long as business want to sponsor a bowl, then there is gonna be more and more bowl games

Landthief 1972
12/15/2006, 12:00 PM
25. Just where on Texas's list of 2006 goals did "make the Alamo Bowl" appear?

ROTFLMAO. :texan:

BoomerJack
12/15/2006, 01:59 PM
What do the Sooners have to gain??? According to the Houston morning fishwrapper, the payout for that bowl is $17 million. I don't know if that is PER TEAM or TOTAL payout. But the Sooners would get about $8.5 million at least. That will be a nice bump to the Ath. Depts. cash flow. From a $$$$ viewpoint, that's the gain. They will also be on national TV during primetime, exposure throughout the country, yada, yada, yada.

From a, shall we say, "reputation" viewpoint, the Sooners won't gain much. If the Sooners win big (over 20 pts.) it's what everyone will expect when a perennial national champ contender plays a team from the "lowly" WAC. If Boise St. keeps it close (within 7-10 pts.) or even wins, everyone will say that OU was overrated as was the Big XII, Stoops is overrated, yada, yada, yada. And by "everyone" I'm referring to the media.

Collier11
12/15/2006, 02:14 PM
What do the Sooners have to gain??? According to the Houston morning fishwrapper, the payout for that bowl is $17 million. I don't know if that is PER TEAM or TOTAL payout. But the Sooners would get about $8.5 million at least. That will be a nice bump to the Ath. Depts. cash flow. .

The payout has to be split up between all big12 teams so its not as lucrative as it sounds. Also, I have no problem bitching about the stupid azz bowl games, what would be more intriguing and be more exciting, a Ou-bsu fiesta bowl, or a ohio state-bsu quarterfinal. The fans would flock to a playoff format and their would be so so much more money to be made. how the presidents cant see this I have no idea. They say it cant be done but every other div(1-aa through div 3 have a playoff and fans go, why cant we. Its not about money cus a playoff would make a ton of money, its not about school cus it could be worked out instead of having a near two month layoff for some teams. And it would invite more big-name non-conf football games instead of all of these snoozers we see these days.

Collier11
12/15/2006, 02:15 PM
the bowl system would be preserved for the smaller teams, and every team would have a shot just like they should be allowed to. I dont know any other sport where every team doesnt have a chance at winning the natl title at the beginning of the season. what a joke!!!

Desert Sapper
12/15/2006, 02:19 PM
$17M to the winner
$14M to the loser

Total Payout = $31M

Difference = $3M

I'm pretty sure the players aren't playing for the $3M difference.

They are playing for this:
http://z.about.com/d/phoenix/1/8/V/R/fiestabowltrophy.jpg

And a chance to finish as Fiesta Bowl Champions. That matters.

Seamus
12/15/2006, 02:19 PM
What do the Sooners have to gain??? According to the Houston morning fishwrapper, the payout for that bowl is $17 million. I don't know if that is PER TEAM or TOTAL payout. But the Sooners would get about $8.5 million at least. That will be a nice bump to the Ath. Depts. cash flow. From a $$$$ viewpoint, that's the gain.

We don't get to pocket all those millions. It get divided up among the conference.

edit: my bad -- didn't see the similar reply.

BoomerJack
12/15/2006, 06:11 PM
"What do the Sooners......"

I forgot about the splits within the conference.

Does anyone know how the Big XII does this? Is it mandated by some formula dictated by the NCAA?

Ruuuuuufus
12/15/2006, 07:37 PM
"What do the Sooners......"

I forgot about the splits within the conference.

Does anyone know how the Big XII does this? Is it mandated by some formula dictated by the NCAA?

I think that after we take out our lump sum to pay for our (lavish) expenses, we get 2/13th and every other team gets 1/13th of the remaining cash.

Larry&Leisa
12/15/2006, 07:48 PM
I thought I heard Castiglione say that after expenses there was maybe $100K left over. Was that from this payout? and isnt there someother 'per diem'?

Salt City Sooner
12/16/2006, 01:17 AM
Kenny Mossman had an article on the "too many bowls" idea. I have to say I agree w/ him 100% after reading it:

If you haven’t heard it already, you’ll certainly hear it soon. Someone will say, “There are too many bowl games.”

It’s a selfish statement. Selfish? Yes, selfish.

Saying there are too many bowl games is no more than saying, “We are providing too many opportunities for student-athletes to enjoy post-season experiences.”

Who cares how many bowl games are held each year? If it gives another group of football players an opportunity to go to a city or resort and enjoy special treatment and more time together, then what’s the problem?

Oh, it rewards mediocrity, some will say. How? How does playing one more game reward mediocrity?

Yes, there are some 6-6 teams going to bowl games this season. Is that a mediocre season? Sure it is, but does that team shake its mediocre label simply because it plays in a bowl? Not to me.

Bowl games are wonderful experiences, some more than others, but all unique and fun. In this day and age, football players train year ‘round. Why not let them have some fun at the end?

There was a time when bowl games were reserved for the elite. Today, the upper level bowl games are reserved for the elite. Some of the others entertain mediocre teams. So be it.

College sports are for the student-athletes. Sure, as donors and ticket-buyers, we’re important, but we’re still just the bystanders when compared to the actual participants.

As the Sooner charter flew back from Kansas City after the Big 12 Championship, this thought occurred to me: The college football season is almost over.

Now that’s a sad prospect. It was a blur in 2006. In the span of one more month, it will be gone altogether for another year.

I, for one, can’t get enough of this game. So I say bring on the bowls, every single one of them.

And to the players, I say, have a blast. You’ve earned it.

During this holiday and bowl season, let’s stop being so stuffy and elitist. The bowls are for the players. May each of them be blessed by the experience and rewarded for their hard work and, yes, achievement.

Supporting them in their pursuits is the least we can do in saying thanks for something that gives us so many hours of enjoyment.

http://www.soonersports.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=300&ATCLID=723566

Ash
12/16/2006, 01:21 AM
$17M to the winner
$14M to the loser

Total Payout = $31M

Difference = $3M

I'm pretty sure the players aren't playing for the $3M difference.

They are playing for this:
http://z.about.com/d/phoenix/1/8/V/R/fiestabowltrophy.jpg

And a chance to finish as Fiesta Bowl Champions. That matters.

Hell yes that matters. Despite all that's happened this season, the players are Big 12 champs and get to play in a BCS bowl. Something that, last month, wasn't thought possible.

I hate all the negative crap being thrown around about our matchup. Go tell Paul Thompson or CJ Ah You or Rufus that the bowl is a lose-lose situation or that it doesn't matter.
:rolleyes:

goingoneight
12/16/2006, 01:28 AM
At least we're not playing in the Big Red Sports and Import Bowl... :O