PDA

View Full Version : Nice Reuters article with dateline of Lake Texoma, Okla

Chuck Bao
12/14/2006, 06:03 PM
Wow! Reuters reporting from Lake Texoma. It makes me proud.

And, GOD-BLESS-OUR-TROOPS!

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16207974/

And for those who don’t care to click.

Unpopular Iraq war still has U.S. supporters
Many conservative Republicans in South and Southwest remain unfazed

Updated: 2 hours ago
LAKE TEXOMA, Okla. - “GOD-BLESS-OUR-TROOPS” is spelled out in four big signs along a wooded stretch of highway in rural southern Oklahoma.

Support for U.S. soldiers in Iraq runs deep in these parts and throughout much of the South and Southwest.

But while polls show the war itself is steadily losing the support of Americans, it has strong backers in the region, with God and terrorism often evoked to justify the war effort.

Rodeos here can start with a prayer to the troops abroad, while yellow ribbons remembering the soldiers are common sights on the bumpers of big pickup trucks.

From rural resort areas like Lake Texoma to upscale suburbs in Dallas, big U.S. flags and signs blessing the troops are common sights.

“I support the war in Iraq, as it’s better to fight the war on terrorists over there than in Nebraska,” said Lynn Kartchner, a Vietnam veteran and gun shop owner in the dusty Arizona town of Douglas.

That puts Kartchner in a minority.

A USA TODAY/Gallup poll this week was the latest to show ebbing public support for the war. Seven in 10 respondents disapproved of President Bush’s handling of Iraq and 61 percent said the war was not worth fighting, it said.

Discontent over the war was viewed as a key reason why Bush’s Republican Party lost control of Congress in Nov. 7 congressional elections.

But even as the White House plans a new Iraq strategy, the administration’s pursuit of the conflict has its backers.

“It would be a disservice and a disgrace to all those who died to finish without first stabilizing Iraq,” said Iraq war veteran Rob Moore, a partner in a Houston wealth management group.

Trend seen in war supporters
Scott Keeter of the Pew Research Center says the typical supporter of the war is a conservative Republican.

“They would more likely be a man than a woman, much more likely to be white than non-white, and, in terms of religion, to be evangelical Protestant,” Keeter said.

The center’s most recent poll, released on Tuesday, showed 58 percent of white evangelicals favored keeping U.S. forces in Iraq until the situation has stabilized, versus 44 percent among the public as a whole.

Keeter said white southerners were also fairly solid supporters, with 52 percent of those surveyed in favor of keeping the troops in Iraq until stability is achieved.

“I think that the single strongest element in support for the war at the moment is an endorsement of President Bush’s vision of it,” he said.

In that vision, the mission in Iraq is central to the war on terrorism that Bush declared after the Sept. 11 attacks.

“We can’t leave now. For us to fail now would deal a devastating blow to our national prestige and our ability to use American force in the future. We need a credible use of force against terrorist threats,” said San Antonio lawyer Thad Coakley, another Iraq veteran.

colleyvillesooner
12/14/2006, 06:09 PM
My aunt lives in that area, and my parents just bought a place there. A kid from that area died at the end of the summer in Iraq. He went to Kingston High school I believe. They had a huge funeral, and word was going around that the protesters were gonna show up. They came down a few days early and put up anti war fliers. Nothing got violent though.

Sad for the family to have to see that. People were going around tearing them down. :D

Chuck Bao
12/14/2006, 09:09 PM
Thank you, colleyville. That explains the dateline.

I didn't know that we had lost one of our local men.

MAY GOD TAKE CARE OF HIS FAMILY AND BLESS THEM.

I'd be a flier-tearer-upper too!

BOOMERBRADLEY
12/14/2006, 10:58 PM
Anti-war protesting hippies in S Oklahoma = Not good for the hippies

colleyvillesooner
12/14/2006, 11:02 PM
Anti-war protesting hippies in S Oklahoma = Not good for the hippies

Yeah my Aunt was pretty worried as she knows how some of the "locals" can "act". :D

OUTromBoNado
12/15/2006, 01:54 AM
Therer's some good striper fishin' in that there lake.

PhilTLL
12/15/2006, 03:07 AM
My aunt lives in that area, and my parents just bought a place there. A kid from that area died at the end of the summer in Iraq. He went to Kingston High school I believe. They had a huge funeral, and word was going around that the protesters were gonna show up. They came down a few days early and put up anti war fliers. Nothing got violent though.

Sad for the family to have to see that. People were going around tearing them down. :D

The only protest groups I've heard appearing at funerals are crazy ol Fred Phelps and Westboro Baptist. All their fliers are anti-gay (in a convoluted logic sort of way, they're kind of pro-all-war, anti-America).

Chuck Bao
12/15/2006, 07:33 PM
You're so right, PhilTLL. The Fred Phelps group does the hate of America, its freedoms, its history, its diverse background, its flag, its brave serving military men and women, etc.

I hate to spread manure from godhatesfags.com, but this is what they had to say about their trip to protest the funeral of a proud-serving, native son of Kingston, Oklahoma.

...The people of Kingston, OK, are also to blame for his death, because they failed him miserably.

Kay, Lizz, Abi, Ben, Megan and Rebekah Lynne arrived in Kingston on September 23, 2006, to preach at the funeral of Clint Williams.

We were placed blocks from the school, along the main road leading into the school. There was a steady stream of cars and pedestrians going past us.

Across the street was an ever-growing mob of flag-worshippers. This same scene plays out all across the nation several times per week. It’s really quite comical. These people have more respect for the filthy american flag than they do for God. They threatened to mob us when Lizz wiped her nose with the flag.

I wonder if they have ever threatened to mob the local several whorehouses masquerading as churches for lying about God? I’m guessing they haven’t. Like I said, they worship and serve the flag more than the Creator.

There was a house on the corner where the police told us to stand. A woman, who appeared to your scribe to be quite insane, came out of the house and tried to spray water on us. The police told her to not do that. So she brought out some “God Bless America” music. This was apparently to give us some background music while we sang “God Hates America.”

Frustrated, she screamed, “how does it feel to be hated?!?!?!” Well, lady, here’s what it feels like: “Blessed are ye, when men shall hate you, and when they shall separate you [from their company], and shall reproach [you], and cast out your name as evil, for the Son of man’s sake. Rejoice ye in that day, and leap for joy: for, behold, your reward [is] great in heaven: for in the like manner did their fathers unto the prophets.” (Lu 6:22-23 AV)

And in like manner did the crazy harpies do to Christ. What the people of Kingston need to understand (along with the rest of America) is that we couldn’t care less about this country, its history, its patriotism, its perceived might, etc.

We are strangers here. Sojourners. Pilgrims. We’re just here temporarily, while we look forward to a better country, that is, an heavenly. “For they that say such things declare plainly that they seek a country. And truly, if they had been mindful of that [country] from whence they came out, they might have had opportunity to have returned. But now they desire a better [country], that is, an heavenly: wherefore God is not ashamed to be called their God: for he hath prepared for them a city.” (Heb 11:14-16 AV)

We preached for 45 minutes, thereby condemning the town of Kingston, OK, and then went home.

This was written by your scribe, Ben.