PDA

View Full Version : The greatest Blu-Ray disc EVER!

mrowl
12/14/2006, 03:05 PM
http://www.amazon.com/National-Lampoons-Christmas-Vacation-Blu-ray/dp/B000KJT8IG

on order!

http://www.screenselect.co.uk/images/products/6/16726-large.jpg

the quality is probably gonna suck, but, oh well.

Frozen Sooner
12/14/2006, 03:13 PM
Pfft. It's probably a better transfer on HD-DVD anyhow. ;)

(Actually, I think they use the same encoding for both formats on this disc, and yeah-it's not a great encode.)

Czar Soonerov
12/14/2006, 03:15 PM
http://www.starz.com/features/bunnyclub/christmas_vacation/index.html

Czar Soonerov
12/14/2006, 03:16 PM
Much better IMO

http://www.starz.com/features/christmasstory/

yermom
12/14/2006, 03:41 PM
this one's better (http://www.starz.com/features/brokebackmountain/)

BeetDigger
12/14/2006, 04:42 PM
I just bought the normal CD version on XMas Vacation for $5. It was video of the day a couple weeks back at Family Video.

85Sooner
12/14/2006, 06:23 PM
40$ for the disc and 950.00 got the player.

i'll stay with my regular version. great movie though.

yermom
12/14/2006, 06:28 PM
this from the guy that sells the stuff, heh

i just don't see replacing all my movies and buying some super-expensive player

it's like a solution for a problem that doesn't exist for 99% of the population

Frozen Sooner
12/14/2006, 06:35 PM
That's why you don't buy the super-expensive player. You buy the $200 XBox add-on or the $350 Toshiba HD-A1, enjoy a picture that's every bit as good or better, and give a middle finger to Sony.

You know, the guys who brought us such winning formats as UMD, Memory Stick, SACD, and Betamax.

StoopTroup
12/14/2006, 06:40 PM
Microsoft has never had any losers....

Frozen Sooner
12/14/2006, 06:48 PM
Microsoft has never had any losers....
Microsoft is not the company behind HD-DVD, they're simply supporting the format.

BeetDigger
12/14/2006, 08:00 PM

Exactly. That's why I am so happy with my $5 deal on the disc. The ultimate Christmas movie on sale during the Christmas season. Score.

mrowl
12/14/2006, 08:32 PM

nope. Got a PS3. Thank you.

(only got it for the blu-ray)

Penguin
12/14/2006, 08:49 PM
The movie's OK. I used to think it was hilarious, but everytime I watch it, it gets less and less funny.

Mongo
12/14/2006, 08:53 PM
The movie's OK. I used to think it was hilarious, but everytime I watch it, it gets less and less funny.

You sir, need to shut that thing you call a mouth and apologize. Expect coal in your stocking for making that retarded post.

Penguin
12/14/2006, 10:13 PM
I prefer the term "special" post.

BOOMERBRADLEY
12/14/2006, 11:02 PM
I'd like Frank Shirley, my boss, right here, tonight. I want him brought from his happy holiday slumber over there on Melody Lane with all the other rich people, and I want him brought right here, with a big ribbon on his head. And, I want to look him strait in the eye and tell him: what a cheap, lyiny, no good, rotten, four-flushing, low-life, snake-licking, dirt-eating, inbred, overstuffed, ignorant, bloodsucking, dog-kissing, brainless, dickless, hopeless, heartless, fat-assed, bug-eyed, stiff-legged, spotty-lipped, worm-headed sack of monkey sh** he is! Hallelujah! Holy sh**! Where's the Tylenol?"

:D

TheHumanAlphabet
12/15/2006, 10:51 AM
Why go fro blu-ray when an upconvert will give good quality. Until they decide on blu-ray vs. HD-DVD, I think I'll pass.

Frozen Sooner
12/15/2006, 11:36 AM
Why go fro blu-ray when an upconvert will give good quality. Until they decide on blu-ray vs. HD-DVD, I think I'll pass.

Trust me-there is a VERY noticeable difference between an upconverted DVD and an HD-DVD. I presume the same difference exists for Blu-Ray.

For one, both use HD color space, which is much broader than SD color space.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/15/2006, 11:38 AM
Oh, I understand, but an upconvert unit is fairly inexpensive compared to blu-ray or HD-DVD. Could be another VHS/Beta debacle...All I am saying. I'll wait to see who wins.

Taxman71
12/15/2006, 01:15 PM
You sir, need to shut that thing you call a mouth and apologize. Expect coal in your stocking for making that retarded post.

Ditto!

Sic the Mississippi leg-hound on him.

Most underrated line from this classic:

Clark: Burn some dust here, eat my rubber
Rusty: Dad, I think you mean burn rubber and eat my dust
Clark: Whatever Russ.

mrowl
12/15/2006, 01:18 PM
Oh, I understand, but an upconvert unit is fairly inexpensive compared to blu-ray or HD-DVD. Could be another VHS/Beta debacle...All I am saying. I'll wait to see who wins.

I am starting to wonder if there will not be a winner.

I think we are in a time where there can be 2 different formats. confusing, but it can be done.

Looks like Mac is going to add blu-ray drives to their products in the spring.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/15/2006, 01:19 PM
The torched up cat scene and the torch tree scene are the funniest damn scenes EVAR!

Mjcpr
12/15/2006, 01:27 PM

Whaaaaaaa?????!!!

Why I oughta neg you in the dried up, stringy turkey hole.

Frozen Sooner
12/15/2006, 01:31 PM
I am starting to wonder if there will not be a winner.

I think we are in a time where there can be 2 different formats. confusing, but it can be done.

Looks like Mac is going to add blu-ray drives to their products in the spring.

Nah. One or the other is going to prevail-or, more likely, streaming HD content will replace both before a clear winner emerges. There's just too many inefficiencies inherent in a dual-format model.

HD-DVD came out of the gate with a better product regardless of the technical stats of the formats. Blu-Ray has a much better marketing effort behind it, though, and I'm starting to think that the superior marketing of Blu-Ray is going to end up deciding this thing. Plus, the Blu-Ray players seem to have gotten a lot of the bugs out and the disc encodes are starting to look as good as the HD-DVD encodes.

I'll probably end up buying a MacBook Pro with a Blu-Ray player if Blu-Ray ends up winning. Either that or I'll build a Media Center PC with both drives and hook it up to the home theater so I can have both.