PDA

View Full Version : Oh. My. God.

colleyvillesooner
12/14/2006, 10:46 AM
Students say they were mistreated
OU basketball seating changes

By Scott Wright
Staff Writer

NORMAN — Two University of Oklahoma students claim they and other students in attendance at the Sooner women's basketball game Sunday afternoon were treated with "disrespect and disregard” by university representatives at the Lloyd Noble Center.
Bryan Day and Jeremy Ramsey each sent an e-mail Sunday night to OU officials, including President David Boren, athletics director Joe Castiglione and women's basketball coach Sherri Coale, regarding their treatment during OU's 87-42 win over Arkansas-Pine Bluff.

Day and Ramsey said they arrived at Sunday's game to find one of the sections — court-level section RW4 — of the Lloyd Noble Center generally reserved for students had been roped off, and students were directed to another section. Day and Ramsey sat in the roped-off section, but were soon told by a member of the Lloyd Noble event staff to move, the students said.

"Originally they said it was because they had sold those seats to paying customers,” Ramsey said. "After about 10 minutes into the first half, the section was still completely empty.”

As a few students slowly made their way back into the empty section, they were again told to move, Day said.

OU officials declined to comment Tuesday.

Day said he was later told by a member of the event staff that the season-ticket holders behind the student section had complained about the students standing up and being too rowdy.

"So many students showed up that the little area they designated for us wasn't big enough,” Day said. "We kind of migrated back over and they actually told us that that would be fine, but we would have to stay sitting down and not disturb the people behind us.”

Day, a political science major, is classified as a sophomore, and Ramsey, a computer engineering major, is a freshman. Both said they are in their third year at OU.

"When they bought those tickets, it is clearly marked on the seating chart where the student section is,” Day said. "So if you're buying tickets behind there, you know what you're in for.”

:mad:

GottaHavePride
12/14/2006, 11:26 AM
And people wonder why our crowd sucks at basketball games. All the old farts are just buying basketball tickets so they can get OU/Texas football tickets.

colleyvillesooner
12/14/2006, 11:27 AM
I'm sure that if the game was sold out, they would still rope that section off. :rolleyes:

GottaHavePride
12/14/2006, 11:29 AM
Heh. Still, old dudes don't like it there's a whole arena there - they can move somewhere that's not behind the students to watch the game. Like the upper level.

Rhino
12/14/2006, 11:31 AM
Welcome to the Castiglione era of OU basketball.

OSUAggie
12/14/2006, 11:41 AM
:pop:

starrca23
12/14/2006, 11:44 AM
Winning will make this all go away. Oh wait, the girls do win.

william_brasky
12/14/2006, 03:05 PM
It's a little odd to be in your third year and still be classified as a freshman.

yermom
12/14/2006, 03:22 PM
he could have changed majors? :confused:

that sounds like a bunch of crap, why bother going a game if you are going to be bothered by people standing up and getting rowdy?

NormanPride
12/14/2006, 04:07 PM
Castiglione is killing school spirit.

Boomer.....
12/14/2006, 04:12 PM
Next thing will be making the students at the football games sit down and not cheer as loud. This can only make things worse!

King Crimson
12/14/2006, 04:19 PM
Welcome to the Castiglione era of OU basketball.

agreed, and we mos def need more blimps and free giveaways and smoke machines or whatever..*

but, to be fair re: GHP's old farts post. my dad is an old fart in LE4 and he goes to about 90% of the games and has had season tix since 1975.

* but, what people will say is...."Well, now we are competing with the NBA "experience and atmosphere" just up the road...." which i guess is just one more way that College Sports will willingly accept it's "minor league" status that the pro-first sports fans mistakenly think it always is/was (as they do in Denver, especially in the Denver sports media). and thereby erase the qualitative difference between the two in favor of goofball spectacle and myopia. once we are talking about "the product on the floor"....everything is different.

Dio
12/14/2006, 04:29 PM
SHUT UP AND SIT DOWN, YOU WHIPPERSNAPPERS!

TheHumanAlphabet
12/14/2006, 06:54 PM
And people wonder why our crowd sucks at basketball games. All the old farts are just buying basketball tickets so they can get OU/Texas football tickets.

OKlahomans have no clue about Bball and how to be rowdy and boisterous...I should know as by my moniker...I got complained at while I was "unofficially" cheering the team on. Since the late 70s, we have been complaining about the old fogey fans!

OUstud
12/14/2006, 09:06 PM
There's no need for 2+ announcers, no need for student seating in the upper level, and no need for empty seats at big games. Something needs to be done. You wonder why people stay away; it's getting too circusy. Buffalo Wild Wings noise meter? Bite me.

OUmillenium
12/19/2006, 11:12 AM
Was Cranky McCrankerson the one telling students to sit down?

TheHumanAlphabet
12/19/2006, 11:37 AM
Yeah, he and his wrinkled, prune-faced, smoking, gravely voiced wife. ;)

Jeopardude
12/19/2006, 11:43 AM
OKlahomans have no clue about Bball and how to be rowdy and boisterous...I should know as by my moniker...I got complained at while I was "unofficially" cheering the team on. Since the late 70s, we have been complaining about the old fogey fans!

Are you the legendary bearded fellow from BillyBall days?????????!!!!!!!!!

TheHumanAlphabet
12/19/2006, 12:08 PM
Are you the legendary bearded fellow from BillyBall days?????????!!!!!!!!!

Yep!

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/19/2006, 12:24 PM
I hear Castiglione is creating a glass shield around the donor section that way no sound can get in. He is also going to force us to stop playing Boomer Sooner after scores because it degrading the opponent. The softball and baseball team will no longer be able to to do chants in the dugout because it might distract the other team. Also at OU sporting events, security will walk around with a little counter and after 20 words are spoken, the whole section will be ejected!!! This post brought to you by Pizza Hut right on Lindsay!!

TheHumanAlphabet
12/19/2006, 12:45 PM
You know, we have been fighting that a long time. My group called the B*L*O*B (be likin' Oklahoma Basketball) back then got called "leather lungs" by some hack Jokelahoman writer by name of Lassiter. We called ourselves Lassiter's Leather Lung's for a while. He was particularly insensed by our harrassment of Darnell Valentine of KU. We were screaming hotdog, yelling whenever he touched the ball, etc. being really involved fans. Enough so, Valentine flipped us off (we never used profanity, just brains). What does LAssiter write about. Us yelling and giving Valentine a bad time, not his unsportsmanlike reaction. Good thing he wasn't at the game and didn't see me with my cap gun and the ketchup stained bandage when we played Missou (i.e. Stepanovich)...

Rhino
12/19/2006, 12:53 PM
It was convenient that they waited until their fourth home game to make this move, which just happens to come right before finals week when the student paper isn't putting out daily issues.

Funny how that timing worked out.

starrca23
12/19/2006, 01:20 PM
We are a far cry from the Camron Crazies!

TheHumanAlphabet
12/19/2006, 01:27 PM
Hell we don't even come close to Antlers...

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/19/2006, 01:53 PM
We are louder than Atoka though

TheHumanAlphabet
12/19/2006, 02:21 PM
We are louder than Atoka though

Heh!:) You know that I was refering to Mizzou's Antlers group, no?

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/19/2006, 03:17 PM
I don't recognize anything from Mizzou ;)

starrca23
12/19/2006, 03:24 PM
Explain how tigers have antlers!?

TheHumanAlphabet
12/19/2006, 03:34 PM
Have no idea, their student group has been called Antlers as long as I have been around...(at least since 1977).

tommieharris91
12/19/2006, 03:58 PM
It was convenient that they waited until their fourth home game to make this move, which just happens to come right before finals week when the student paper isn't putting out daily issues.

Funny how that timing worked out.

Apparently they can't time things well either.

http://hub.ou.edu/articles/article.php?article_id=2048142278&search_id=242556401

TopDawg
12/19/2006, 06:43 PM
Apparently they can't time things well either.

http://hub.ou.edu/articles/article.php?article_id=2048142278&search_id=242556401

The HUB is gaining in popularity, but I imagine it doesn't reach near the number of eyes that the paper does.

Jeopardude
12/19/2006, 07:25 PM
Good thing he wasn't at the game and didn't see me with my cap gun and the ketchup stained bandage when we played Missou (i.e. Stepanovich)...

For the young whippersnappers, Steve Stipanovich claimed someone came into his dorm room and shot him in the foot. It turned out he shot it himself and he fessed up to coach. His big return was at Norman.

I remember telling a friend about that incident as how OU fans could get rowdy. He then told me of how the student section (at Stanford and then Oregon) chanted "Your son hates you" at USC coach Henry Bibby, who has been estranged from his son, Mike (a star NBA point guard), since the latter was a young boy. That "your son hates you" is chanted like the overrated one.

That one's cold.

OUstud
12/19/2006, 08:18 PM
Also, Steve Kerr's dad was killed while doing something like overseas journalism or something like that...anyway so he goes to play at Arizona State, and they chant "Where's your daddy?" (like the overrrated chant). That's crossing the line.

But when we chanted "Double dater!" at Mormon PG Daniel Bobik, that was pretty dang funny, won't lie.

OUAndy1807
12/19/2006, 10:48 PM
just another slip down the slippery slope.
http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=53139&highlight=basketball+student+sections

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/20/2006, 09:39 AM
For the young whippersnappers, Steve Stipanovich claimed someone came into his dorm room and shot him in the foot. It turned out he shot it himself and he fessed up to coach. His big return was at Norman.

I remember telling a friend about that incident as how OU fans could get rowdy. He then told me of how the student section (at Stanford and then Oregon) chanted "Your son hates you" at USC coach Henry Bibby, who has been estranged from his son, Mike (a star NBA point guard), since the latter was a young boy. That "your son hates you" is chanted like the overrated one.

That one's cold.

What's funny is an MU football player did virtually the same thing a couple of years ago.

Maybe that is why MU has an Antlers cheering section, it is because they like to dress up like deer and shoot themselves.

OUmillenium
12/21/2006, 08:13 PM
Now that is gold!