PDA

View Full Version : Apocolypto

Okla-homey
12/14/2006, 06:26 AM
Saw it last night. Interesting. Bloody. A classic little man versus "The Man" story. Elements of "The Terminator" franchise combined with elements of "Dances With Wolves." Beautiful cinematography. Not a "date movie." Worth the price of admission.

Jerk
12/14/2006, 06:45 AM
I heard it's very anti-semetic...

There's not one Jewish character in the whole film!

Mjcpr
12/14/2006, 09:03 AM
I heard it's very anti-semetic...

There's not one Jewish character in the whole film!

I'm sure they own the studio or did the accounting or something.

soonerbrat
12/14/2006, 10:19 AM
i found it hard to watch at times.

yermom
12/14/2006, 10:21 AM
what is so controversial about it?

soonerbrat
12/14/2006, 10:22 AM
controversial? I dunno...the human sacrifice stuff kinda made me sick to my stomach.

yermom
12/14/2006, 10:25 AM
i just remember the MSM billing it as "controversial"

probably mostly because of Mr. Gibson's involvement ;)

yermom
12/14/2006, 10:26 AM
remember when he was just a big star/sex symbol?

soonerbrat
12/14/2006, 10:29 AM
remember when he was just a big star/sex symbol?

yes. I liked him better that way. he looked pretty good in person though..i must say.

picasso
12/14/2006, 10:58 AM
controversial? I dunno...the human sacrifice stuff kinda made me sick to my stomach.

SPOILER!!!
wasn't as graphic as it could have been. We didn't actually get to see the beheading. I still don't think it was any worse than Braveheart or Last of the Mohicans.
The average complaint I see from critics is the fact that he doesn't develop the characters enough. well it's a bang bang movie.

Homey, I don't get the Dances With Wolves comparison other than the fact there's good guy being chased by bad guy. We don't get to see the natives interact with the explorers which is what I was kind of expecting.

soonerbrat
12/14/2006, 11:44 AM
SPOILER!!!
wasn't as graphic as it could have been. We didn't actually get to see the beheading. I still don't think it was any worse than Braveheart or Last of the Mohicans.
The average complaint I see from critics is the fact that he doesn't develop the characters enough. well it's a bang bang movie.

Homey, I don't get the Dances With Wolves comparison other than the fact there's good guy being chased by bad guy. We don't get to see the natives interact with the explorers which is what I was kind of expecting.

Hmm..i thought there was ample character development...

Okla-homey
12/14/2006, 12:18 PM
SPOILER!!!

DWW in that it gives insight into a particular native culture, and that culture also happens to have conflicts with other native peoples as well as an impending end to its way of life brought on by white incursion.

BTW, I still haven't worked out the smallpox piece, if that final scene represented the first appearance of whites.

picasso
12/14/2006, 12:28 PM
DWW in that it gives insight into a particular native culture, and that culture also happens to have conflicts with other native peoples as well as an impending end to its way of life brought on by white incursion.

BTW, I still haven't worked out the smallpox piece, if that final scene represented the first appearance of whites.
that's a great point.

cracker
12/14/2006, 01:53 PM
The little girl was a seer, or a vision herself.

picasso
12/15/2006, 12:44 AM
The little girl was a seer, or a vision herself.
true but she wasn't alone.

birddog
12/15/2006, 12:59 AM
http://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/apocalypto/

i thought it was great. there wasn't a single moment in the film where i felt the storyline was falling apart.

King Crimson
12/15/2006, 01:03 AM
i thought it was a good time.....visually it was fantastic. how come the hole didn't fill up before? was this the first time it rained? i didn't think it was all that gory.....there's a dozen flicks made every year where more people get their chest or faces essploded or mutilated in slo mo with automatic weapon fire. there really was a lot of running....that's for sure. was that #2 bad guy Dennis Rodman?

picasso
12/15/2006, 01:13 AM
yeah they did tons of running, kinda like in The Last of the Mohicans. an Indian Relay if you will.:D
I recognized the bad *** war chief right away as the Iriqouis Chief in The Black Robe.

Gibson definitely has a way of drawing you in as a film maker.

LoyalFan
12/15/2006, 01:52 AM
Wow!
If "ApocOlypto" was so bad, I'd better not waste my meager coins on "Apocalypto".
What a difference an "A" makes!
Well, you give me a shot and I'm gonna take it. LOL!

LF

silverwheels
12/15/2006, 02:00 AM
Not a "date movie."

Happy Feet it is, then.

birddog
12/15/2006, 10:16 AM
happy feet is pretty damn boring. my wife is pregnant and didn't want to see apocalypto so we saw a penguin movie with p i s s poor sound and a lousy score.

apocalypto could be a date movie if she's a cool chick. unless she's my wife, or my mom she should enjoy it.

silverwheels
12/15/2006, 12:30 PM
apocalypto could be a date movie if she's a cool chick. unless she's my wife, or my mom she should enjoy it.

Well, she might want to see it. She's not grossed out by blood and gore or anything like that, but she wants to see Happy Feet. However, she's taking me out for my birthday, so I get to choose.

Frozen Sooner
12/15/2006, 01:04 PM
Why would I be taking your wife or mom on a date?

King Crimson
12/15/2006, 01:23 PM
Why would I be taking your wife or mom on a date?

well, everyone else has. whoa! ;)