PDA

View Full Version : 46% of people are offended by "Happy Holidays"

CShine
12/13/2006, 03:41 PM
This is really important, dammit!

TAKING A BREAK from asking Americans about politics and war, the Zogby Interactive poll surveyed 12,806 of us last month to find out how we prefer our holiday, er, Christmas, greetings. The poll was conducted after Wal-Mart changed its corporate mind this year and told store clerks that they can greet customers with "Merry Christmas," instead of the benign "Happy Holidays" that was decreed last year.

Zogby found that 95 percent of respondents said they are not offended by being greeted with a "Merry Christmas" while shopping. Change the greeting to "Happy Holidays," though, and 46 percent said they take offense.

One in three respondents who identified themselves as Jewish said they were upset when they heard "Merry Christmas" as were 10 percent of those of non-Christian faiths or who did not identify themselves with a religion.

http://www.contracostatimes.com/mld/cctimes/16208478.htm

Hatfield
12/13/2006, 03:44 PM
wonder how many aren't offended by either

Scott D
12/13/2006, 03:45 PM
I'm going to have to wait until post 16 before a true position on this survey can be decided upon.

jk the sooner fan
12/13/2006, 03:53 PM
holiday = holy day....

Mjcpr
12/13/2006, 03:54 PM
holiday = holy day....

Okay, that's enough. I'm going to have to lock this down.

Frozen Sooner
12/13/2006, 03:55 PM
Which just goes to show:

Some people are just too damn willing to take offense at things that aren't intended to give it.

Scott D
12/13/2006, 03:55 PM
sorry jk, need another 12 posts before your answer can be accepted as definitive.

bri
12/13/2006, 03:56 PM
Which just goes to show:

Some people are just too damn willing to take offense at things that aren't intended to give it.

Well, the bar for martyrdom has REALLY been lowered ever since the closing of the lion pits.

Scott D
12/13/2006, 04:00 PM
Well, the bar for martyrdom has REALLY been lowered ever since the closing of the lion pits.

well the msm did ignore the fact that if you work in a heavily jewish populated area, that there is a portion of the community that will take offense if you decide to open your place of business a few hours later than normal on december 25th. clearly the msm's shenanigans cannot go unpunished.

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/13/2006, 04:03 PM
Hell My Job doesn't even recognize the Holy birth by giving us the night off :P

Widescreen
12/13/2006, 05:04 PM
Happy Holidays doesn't offend me but I definitely prefer Merry Christmas.

Penguin
12/13/2006, 05:40 PM
Offended? People are actually "offended" by Happy Holidays? I'm calling BS on that one.

BS, I say!!!!!

Jerk
12/13/2006, 06:23 PM
When I was 19, I worked at Target and told a customer to have a merry Christmas. The dude got real offended, saying "I'm Jewish! blah blah blah." So I never told anyone Merry Christmas ever again there. I should have said "well...then have a happy Hanukkah" but of course I just sat there like a dunce with an "oh well" look on my face. I never meant to offend the guy.

My customer service skills would only erode over the next several years until I finally had to get a job that doesn't involve people....because I hate people. I went off on someone so bad at Bank of Oklahoma that it made it all the way to Burns Hargis.

sooner KB
12/13/2006, 06:26 PM
I've never understood the whole deal with christians being "offended" by being told Happy Holidays by someone just trying to be inclusive. It's almost like they are trying to make themselves think there is a "war" being waged against them... oh wait, maybe that's because Fox News is telling them that there is.

I say if you are a christian, you need to come to grips with the fact that there are other religions out there besides christianity, and there are people out there that don't celebrate christmas or celebrate something else.

I say be all-inclusive and make christians get over themselves.

Jerk
12/13/2006, 06:27 PM
Oh, God, not another one. :mad:

sooner KB
12/13/2006, 06:35 PM
Not another what ?

bri
12/13/2006, 06:37 PM
Personally, I don't care which greeting people use; I'm just happy they're saying "hi". :D

soonerboy_odanorth
12/13/2006, 06:42 PM
Not another what ?

I'll answer that one for Chris...

Godless pinko-commie bastage. :D

soonerboy_odanorth
12/13/2006, 06:50 PM

I say Christians are far more all-inclusive (turning of the cheek, and such) than any other religion. And while some self-righteous knuckleheads indeed should pay a little more attention to the Good Book's teachings on tolerance and humility, really it's hyper-sensitive self-victimizing religious minority thought police that need to get over themselves.

:pop:

bri
12/13/2006, 06:53 PM
Yeah, I think once you're at the point where an entire nation is locked in an endless arguement over the proper way to say "hello" to someone from November-January...EVERYONE needs to get over themselves. :D

StoopTroup
12/13/2006, 06:53 PM
Merry Christmas Everyone !

Jeopardude
12/13/2006, 06:54 PM
Merry Christmas/Happy Holidays/Happy Hannukah/Happy New Year whatever, if you say it with good will I likes it.

Jerk
12/13/2006, 06:55 PM
I'll answer that one for Chris...

Godless pinko-commie bastage. :D

Curtis, not Chris :D

picasso
12/13/2006, 06:55 PM
I say Christians are far more all-inclusive (turning of the cheek, and such) than any other religion. And while some self-righteous knuckleheads indeed should pay a little more attention to the Good Book's teachings on tolerance and humility, really it's hyper-sensitive self-victimizing religious minority thought police that need to get over themselves.

:pop:
yep. and check some other countries out.

and, if Christmas ain't no biggie then go ahead and work on that day. I'm sure you'll get brown points with Boss Jones.

VeeJay
12/13/2006, 06:59 PM
My customer service skills would only erode over the next several years until I finally had to get a job that doesn't involve people....because I hate people. I went off on someone so bad at Bank of Oklahoma that it made it all the way to Burns Hargis.

Why do you hate people?

Jerk
12/13/2006, 07:06 PM
Why do you hate people?

Have you ever worked in customer service?

yermom
12/13/2006, 07:14 PM

word. :D

yermom
12/13/2006, 07:15 PM
yep. and check some other countries out.

and, if Christmas ain't no biggie then go ahead and work on that day. I'm sure you'll get brown points with Boss Jones.

i seriously hate Christmas, but it's sure nice to get the week off :D

Jerk
12/13/2006, 07:22 PM
word. :D

You learn everything you need to know about the public, don't ya? :texan:

royalfan5
12/13/2006, 07:28 PM
Does Seasons Greetings **** people off too or is that okay?

proud gonzo
12/13/2006, 07:32 PM
I say Christians are far more all-inclusive (turning of the cheek, and such) than any other religion. ...have you ever heard of Baha'i?

royalfan5
12/13/2006, 07:38 PM
...have you ever heard of Baha'i?
you can't be more inoffensive than the Baha'i

Frozen Sooner
12/13/2006, 07:40 PM
Buddhists tend to be pretty OK with other people's beliefs. Tolerantly amused is about as aggressive as they get.

VeeJay
12/13/2006, 07:58 PM

Sorry, Jerk - I couldn't resist that little comment.

Yes, I have. It is teh succ.

Jerk
12/13/2006, 08:15 PM
np dude. Just giving you a straight answer :D

sanantoniosooner
12/13/2006, 08:17 PM
Happy New Year is the one that ticks me off.

Don't tell me what kind of year to have.

OKC Sooner
12/13/2006, 08:21 PM
Have a FanFreakingTastic Festivus, y'all. :D

proud gonzo
12/13/2006, 08:38 PM
Happy New Year is the one that ticks me off.

Don't tell me what kind of year to have.I dont' think that's telling you to HAVE a happy year... I think it's like congratulations on still being around for another one.

Ike
12/13/2006, 09:32 PM
ya know, this whole so-called-war-on-christmas thing really makes me marvel at just how stupid americans can be when they really decide it's time to be stupid. For the casual observer, it really makes for great entertainment....on both sides!

Think about just how marvelous this country really is. Somehow we are able to maintain the worlds strongest economy AND military, while all the while finding the time and energy necessary to actually get riled up about the manner of greeting delivered at wal-mart. So much so that it makes national news now for at least 2 years straight! probably more if you go back and check. Where else in the world can you find a people with such a fantastic ability to multitask. It truly is amazing.

That said, I am hereby throwing off even the acknowledgement of any and all holidays and (real) religons with my greetings and will instead greet people with a polite "may the force be with you" at all times during the year. cause I wouldn't want to offend anyone.

just kidding. I don't give a rats ***...

Penguin
12/13/2006, 09:36 PM
ya know, this whole so-called-war-on-christmas thing really makes me marvel at just how stupid americans can be when they really decide it's time to be stupid. For the casual observer, it really makes for great entertainment....on both sides!

That said, I am hereby throwing off even the acknowledgement of any and all holidays and (real) religons with my greetings and will instead greet people with a polite "may the force be with you" at all times during the year. cause I wouldn't want to offend anyone.

just kidding. I don't give a rats ***...

Why do you hate America?

Dio
12/13/2006, 09:37 PM

Burns says Hi, BTW.

Were you a customer, or an employee?

crawfish
12/13/2006, 09:56 PM
I don't believe in holidays and I'm offended by both. :mad:

SoonerBorn68
12/13/2006, 11:19 PM
I've never understood the whole deal with christians being "offended" by being told Happy Holidays by someone just trying to be inclusive. It's almost like they are trying to make themselves think there is a "war" being waged against them... oh wait, maybe that's because Fox News is telling them that there is.

I say if you are a christian, you need to come to grips with the fact that there are other religions out there besides christianity, and there are people out there that don't celebrate christmas or celebrate something else.

Merry Christmas!

:twinkies:

sanantoniosooner
12/13/2006, 11:22 PM
I dont' think that's telling you to HAVE a happy year... I think it's like congratulations on still being around for another one.
I'll interpret it how I want for my irrational reactions.

sooneron
12/13/2006, 11:23 PM
How do these thin skinned Christians feel about Season's Greetings?

Mongo
12/13/2006, 11:24 PM
I just think everybody should say **** off, dip ****! The outcome from said remark is predictable, and equally offending.

sanantoniosooner
12/13/2006, 11:25 PM
Are you suggesting you wouldn't greet me any other season?

SoonerBorn68
12/13/2006, 11:25 PM

About the way the thick headed heathens think about Merry Christmas.

sooneron
12/13/2006, 11:27 PM
Really? Cuz that's just weak.

SoonerBorn68
12/13/2006, 11:28 PM

Really? Cuz that's just weak.

:twinkies:

sooneron
12/13/2006, 11:31 PM
Coca cola has been using Season's Greetings for eons. Why has no one complained?

SoonerBorn68
12/13/2006, 11:36 PM
Coca cola has been using Season's Greetings for eons. Why has no one complained?

I'm not offended by any of it. I prefer Merry Christmas & I wish people a Merry Christmas--if they don't like it they can FO. I just met flame bait with flamebait. Calm down sparky.

sooneron
12/13/2006, 11:40 PM
I'll be sure to tell my wife FO, then. She's a heathen of the judaic variety. By the by, she's not that offended when people tell her Merry Christmas. She'll usually reply back.

I wouldn't call what I posted as flame bait, as it was directed at thin skinned types that would actually get offended by a greeting that wished them well. 99% of the time it's hollow bs anyway.

sanantoniosooner
12/13/2006, 11:42 PM
Put on your yamika

SoonerBorn68
12/13/2006, 11:45 PM
Like I said, I'll wish you a Merry Christmas, not a Happy Hanukah because I'm not Jewish. If you're offended, so be it. If I know the person is Jewish I'd gladly wish them the proper greeting. But, I'm not going to ask every person I see what religon they are just to be PC. So, Merry Christmas. You can take that however you'd like.

yermom
12/13/2006, 11:45 PM
Put on your yamika

if you think you are the only kid in town, without a Christmas tree...

of course the South Park songs on the subject are probably better :D

SoonerBorn68
12/13/2006, 11:47 PM
it was directed at thin skinned types that would actually get offended by a greeting that wished them well.

...and mine was only to the thick headed heathens.

sooneron
12/13/2006, 11:49 PM
It sounded somewhat knee jerk.

And no, I am not offended, even though I am Episcopal. I find it odd that people are offended by Happy Holidays. It's not like the greeters at a ****ing wal mart really mean it anywho, they are paid to say it.

proud gonzo
12/14/2006, 12:39 AM
Put on your yamikayarmulke

Widescreen
12/14/2006, 01:08 AM
Dreidel, Dreidel, Dreidel

yermom
12/14/2006, 01:09 AM
that's a stupid song

sanantoniosooner
12/14/2006, 08:54 AM
yarmulke
one word I'll never care enough to get right.

just like chunuca.

OklahomaTuba
12/14/2006, 09:12 AM
Amazing that people would get offended by a national holiday.

I think that explains a lot about those types of people though.

bri
12/14/2006, 09:18 AM
And by "those types of people", you mean the 46% of people who are offended by "Happy Holidays", right? Since, you know, that's what this thread is about?

OklahomaTuba
12/14/2006, 09:20 AM
And by "those types of people", you mean the 46% of people who are offended by "Happy Holidays", right? Since, you know, that's what this thread is about?

Happy Holidays is a national holiday???

I think your pink scarf is a little too tight this morning. ;)

sanantoniosooner
12/14/2006, 09:20 AM
We are 4 pages into the thread.

How could it possibly be about what it was about any longer?;)

bri
12/14/2006, 09:35 AM
Well, whever someone wades in and makes vague, unattributed statements, I always assume they're talking about the actual point of the original discussion. My logic is strange that way.

sanantoniosooner
12/14/2006, 09:37 AM
Well, whever someone wades in and makes vague, unattributed statements, I always assume they're talking about the actual point of the original discussion. My logic is strange that way.
First you bring up the original intent of the thread and now mention logic?

bri really shouldn't let PG have his password. ;)

OklahomaTuba
12/14/2006, 09:38 AM

I'm still trying to find the happy holiday.

I hope I get off work for that one. :D

bri
12/14/2006, 09:52 AM
Well, let's see:

Christmas
New Year's
Channukah
Kwaanza (I'm being generous. ;))

Huh. Multiple holidays. If only there were some way for me to wish someone to have a happy holiday of their choice quickly and easily...oh, wait. There IS!

Happy Holidays, slappy.

OklahomaTuba
12/14/2006, 09:59 AM
Well, let's see:

Christmas
New Year's
Channukah
Kwaanza (I'm being generous. ;))

Huh. Multiple holidays.

What, no love for festivus??

bri
12/14/2006, 10:01 AM
Since Seinfeld is the most overrated television show of all time, no.

Scott D
12/14/2006, 10:14 AM
Since Seinfeld is the most overrated television show of all time, no.

best post in this thread.

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/14/2006, 12:08 PM
50 years ago if you had insulted Seinfield you would be hanging from a tree with a fork in your ***!!!!!!

soonerscuba
12/14/2006, 05:32 PM
I think we, as a nation, should just switch to "**** you". For the CSRs it would be nice to tell people what they think of the public, for the public, we could take our aggression out upon the CSRs, everyone wins.

Hot Rod
12/14/2006, 05:57 PM
Amazing that people would get offended by a national holiday.

I think that explains a lot about those types of people though.

Just remember if it wasn't for Christmas, there wouldn't even be a holiday.

Frozen Sooner
12/14/2006, 05:59 PM
Just remember if it wasn't for the elliptical path of the Earth around the Sun and the planet's tilt on its axis, there wouldn't even be a holiday.

Fixed that for you.

This time of year has been a holiday for a lot longer than 2000 years plus or minus a few.

Hot Rod
12/14/2006, 06:05 PM
Fixed that for you.

This time of year has been a holiday for a lot longer than 2000 years plus or minus a few.

I was quoting Tuba as to the National Holiday of Christmas, not the other holidays.

bri
12/14/2006, 10:58 PM
I was quoting Tuba as to the National Holiday of Christmas, not the other holidays.

Since you're talking about Christmas, then, I guess you mean that if it wasn't for Saturn (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Saturnalia), there would be no National Holiday. :D