PDA

View Full Version : Starburys

SOONER44EVER
12/13/2006, 09:35 AM
Anyone have any of these? They are at least $50 less than the shoes I normally buy. I might have to try a pair.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=2551942

'Starbury' for less: Marbury to endorse cheap kicksAssociated Press

Starbury won't be paid for endorsing the sneakers but will be compensated based on how well they sell.
NEW YORK -- Want to be like Steph? Well, it won't cost you much.

Stephon Marbury is now endorsing a sneaker that costs just $14.98, a pittance when compared with the often daunting prices that companies such as Nike and Reebok charge for their footwear.

The "Starbury One," a sneaker designed by Steve & Barry's University Sportswear, will go on sale Thursday.

The New York Knicks guard hooked up with the low-priced apparel company after Marbury's marketing representatives spoke with Steve & Barry's about other marketing opportunities. When Marbury heard about the company's sneakers, he quickly agreed to endorse them.

He is expected to wear the sneakers during games next season.

"We got to know Stephon the man vs. Stephon the basketball player that we read about and saw on television, and we immediately saw how passionate he was about this vision," said Howard Schacter, Steve & Barry's chief partnership officer. "We also came to quickly learn he has a credibility, a street credibility."

Schacter said Marbury is not being paid for endorsing the sneakers but will be compensated based on how well they sell.

Copyright 2006 by The Associated Press

sooner_born_1960
12/13/2006, 09:39 AM
I saw them advertised at Steve and Barry's. I like the idea of a star endorsing products that don't cost a bajillion dollars.

yermom
12/13/2006, 09:59 AM
doleo, and Instigator and I all bought some on the way back from KC, they are pretty comfy

but they aren't put together as well as Nikes or something, i'm not sure how long they are going to last

if he is wearing them to play in, i'd imagine he changes them out for a new pair pretty often

sanantoniosooner
12/13/2006, 10:02 AM
I thought only chicks traveled in packs to purchase shoes. ;)

yermom
12/13/2006, 10:27 AM
:O

sooneron
12/13/2006, 11:55 AM
Get'em while they're avail. If Stephon keeps getting vilified by the media up here, they will need to give them away.

Jimminy Crimson
12/13/2006, 01:31 PM
Shaq has done the same thing for a while. His are in the $30-40 range at Payless, if I remember right.

dolemitesooner
12/13/2006, 02:04 PM
I have bought 3 pairs so far......I have played ball in one pair 3 times now ...and they are confy.

I like them..

SOONER44EVER
12/13/2006, 06:02 PM
I just got back from buying a pair. Dad bought a pair and a warm-up suit. They aren't the best looking shoes I ever had but they seem pretty comfy. Man that store is big. Really, really cheap prices too. 2 pairs of shoes and a nice 2 piece warm-up suit $50! I think the most expensive thing in the entire store is $14.98. :D

royalfan5
12/13/2006, 06:05 PM
I just got back from buying a pair. Dad bought a pair and a warm-up suit. They aren't the best looking shoes I ever had but they seem pretty comfy. Man that store is big. Really, really cheap prices too. 2 pairs of shoes and a nice 2 piece warm-up suit $50! I think the most expensive thing in the entire store is $14.98. :D
African Labor will do that for you thanks to AGOA. Cheaper than Asian Labor.