PDA

View Full Version : OU Violations Link...

Blues1
12/13/2006, 09:27 AM
Latest on Violations....??

Link

http://www.sportsline.com/collegebasketball/story/9867494

Oklahoma's athletics program remains under investigation for violations by the football program. Starting quarterback Rhett Bomar and lineman J.D. Quinn were dismissed in August after taking money for more work than they performed at a Norman, Okla., car dealership. They were each ordered to pay back thousands of dollars in extra benefits through donations to charities

Sooner in Tampa
12/13/2006, 09:36 AM
I thought the investigation had been completed.

freshchris05
12/13/2006, 10:03 AM
Are they even still looking at usc??

#1-Erin-Higgins-Fan
12/13/2006, 10:07 AM
I thought this was over with!?! :confused:

stoopified
12/13/2006, 10:23 AM
With the NCAA it ain't over until they say so and they have a special intrest in OU.

SoonerStormchaser
12/13/2006, 10:42 AM
Yep...cause we don't have extra funds to pay off the NCAA investigators like SUCC does.

JohnnyMack
12/13/2006, 11:12 AM
:les:It's a conspiratorial attack on us!!!!!!!!!!!!

jackal42601
12/13/2006, 11:30 AM
why is it that Dwayne J. & Troy S. can payback there money and everything is ok, but our team might have to suffer even though those guys were kicked off the team and still have to payback the money back.

I mean honestly if things were fair than D.J. & T.S. should've had to miss some games in their career and their teams still face some possible sanctions, but they didn't and that is utter BULL****

DrZaius
12/13/2006, 11:35 AM
Booo!

NCAA blows!

Did you know that they can keep an investigation open for years and then file charges from the date of the infraction up until they rule. Alabama's problems were things that occurred over 5 years back from when they were held accountable.

FYI...

DrZaius
12/13/2006, 11:37 AM
Even criminal law has statutes of limitations.....But not the NCAA, they play by a rule book that does not exist and they are not governed by anybody. Which means that fair or not their is not anything an individual or university can do but abide by what they say.

DrZaius
12/13/2006, 11:39 AM
They had a name for this type of organization back in the early days........................

MAFIA!

soonerspudman
12/13/2006, 08:12 PM
The NCAA has a vested interest (money) in seeing large TV-market schools do well, USC, Rutgers, formerly Miami in the Big East but not now, while thwarting small TV-market schools like OU - they want to ensure a stream of top-talent into the big payout markets...

AlbqSooner
12/13/2006, 08:16 PM
Troy Smith served a two game suspension and paid the money back. Now that is a great deterent to boosters. Give the kid some money and if you get caught you get your money back.

I applaud Stoops once again for having taken the disciplinary measures he did.

soonermeteor
12/13/2006, 08:19 PM
Troy Smith served a two game suspension and paid the money back. Now that is a great deterent to boosters. Give the kid some money and if you get caught you get your money back.

That ****ed me off beyond belief. We get trashed by the national media for kicking our players off when they took money from boosters but OSU's quarterback gets the Heisman? Total BS! :mad:

franklinjake
12/13/2006, 08:44 PM
That ****ed me off beyond belief. We get trashed by the national media for kicking our players off when they took money from boosters but OSU's quarterback gets the Heisman? Total BS! :mad:

Yeah, obviously the Heisman doesn't stand for much when it comes to character. Stoops should get an award for turning our boys into the NCAA.

Bob Sacamento
12/13/2006, 08:47 PM
Why has this (Troy Smith/Bomar) not been mentioned at all in the National Media???

OK2LA
12/13/2006, 08:57 PM
all of this chit should hit the fan after the bowl games - I think they stated that they were looking to wrap it up in February. We'll see.

BigHouseDon
12/13/2006, 09:05 PM
Booo!

NCAA blows!

Did you know that they can keep an investigation open for years and then file charges from the date of the infraction up until they rule. Alabama's problems were things that occurred over 5 years back from when they were held accountable.

FYI...

The fab 5 have been gone from A2 for at least 10 yrs, We have only been able to do post season tournaments for a couple yrs now. Bball team still sucks. Our local aggies took advantage of it, and have been pretty good since then.

I don't think the Sooner program will be hurt too much by this. The offending players have been severely dealt with, and new stuff has been put in place to prevent more occurrences. I personally think that the offending boosters (that KNEW what they were doing was WRONG) should be severely punished as well. Unfortunately thats not the way it works.

We had an insurance salesman in our town about '95 or so that somehow wiggled out of a DUI. As I recall he ran into a squad car that already had someone pulled over. Seems his best buddy was a big shot on the local sherriff dept. Somehow no charges were ever filed on him. The local paper prints stuff like that and calls it police news. Heh, imagine that. There were probably 3 dozen letters to the editor about it, within a year he had no customers left. End of insurance agency. I'd say he probably should have took his medicine on that DUI.

I would never presume to go anywhere and tell folks how to handle their business. Just telling a story. The good news is I got a lower rate on my car insurance when I went somewhere else, and the marketplace took care of someone that would have walked.:D

BHD

Scott D
12/13/2006, 09:06 PM
I like how people connect dots that aren't even in the same book much less on the same page.

yermom
12/13/2006, 09:20 PM

yeah, but didn't you see where he grew up?

Spanish Sooner
12/13/2006, 09:24 PM
Speaking about NCAA violations hopefully Auburn is about to get the hammer

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2696807

illegal grade changing from 02-04 including athletes, no football players...yet

yermom
12/13/2006, 09:29 PM

seems like they had to pay it to charity or something, but not back to the donor

badger
12/13/2006, 09:31 PM
i think ou is a model program for how these "paid to play" situations should be handled.

however, ou has had quite a few problems in the past several years, so expect them to keep a watchful for...ever.

for-e-ver. for-e-ver.

tulsaoilerfan
12/13/2006, 09:35 PM
The NCAA mafia, for some reason, has had a hard on for OU since the Wilkinson days; i don't expect that to ever change:mad:

BajaOklahoma
12/13/2006, 10:20 PM
OU has been on the NCAA **it list since we filed suit against them for control of our ability to televise games. Though they should love for all the extra money they made off of the games.

Scott D
12/13/2006, 10:34 PM
Speaking about NCAA violations hopefully Auburn is about to get the hammer

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncaa/news/story?id=2696807

illegal grade changing from 02-04 including athletes, no football players...yet

actually back when that story broke months ago, Carnell Williams was named as one of the athletes.

Ruuuuuufus
12/13/2006, 10:36 PM
Why has this (Troy Smith/Bomar) not been mentioned at all in the National Media???

Because Smith (supposedly) took a one time payment of $500 (incidentally, to pay for the idiot Maurice Clarett's phone bill) and that other guy knowingly took $7500 over a longer period of time.

Jarrett's situation didn't come from a booster and apparently he didn't know he was in the wrong. Bush is gone now and there's no real proof so it has gone under the rug.

Texas Golfer
12/13/2006, 11:21 PM
I don't think anything more will come out of the Bomar/Quinn investigation. The crime was discovered and severe punishment was inflicted.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/14/2006, 09:47 AM
I don't think anything more will come out of the Bomar/Quinn investigation. The crime was discovered and severe punishment was inflicted.

Yeah, it's hard to argue that there was a lack of institutional control in that case.

Octavian
12/14/2006, 10:16 AM
two possibilities:

1. It's worse than we thought. We get nailed and Stoops' bold move turns out to be nothing more than an example of his character. Street parties break out across college campuses from Austin to Lincoln.

2. No link between the athletic dept. and the rogue booster is there. The NCAA acknowledges Stoops' handling of the situation and we're cool. The rest of the Big XII holds out hope that Bob's just dying to deal with primadonnas and NFL press conferences.

You never know with the NCAA (they may rule we only get to keep the rowing team....who knows?) but if I was betting I'd take the latter.

Scott D
12/14/2006, 10:25 AM
ok chicken littles...who was the last school to get any sort of major or semi major probation in football?

Octavian
12/14/2006, 10:26 AM
ok chicken littles...who was the last school to get any sort of major or semi major probation in football?

I hear Bama's still having a little trouble

Scott D
12/14/2006, 10:27 AM
And why did Bama get in trouble?

Octavian
12/14/2006, 10:28 AM
oh wait, nm...you said major

;)

Octavian
12/14/2006, 10:34 AM
And why did Bama get in trouble?

rogue boosters breaking rules was part of it IIRC. anyways, that doesn't matter.

What matters is what the suits find or don't find in Oklahoma right now...and how they interpret the rules with regards to us. It can be pretty subjective.

Scott D
12/14/2006, 10:35 AM
Actually, Alabama's football program has gone on probation twice in the last 12 years. The first was a 3 year probation, this most recent a 5 year probation. If any other violations by the football program had gone on during this last probation, they could have received the death penalty.

rogue boosters breaking rules was part of it IIRC. anyways, that doesn't matter.

What matters is what the suits find or don't find in Oklahoma right now...and how they interpret the rules with regards to us. It can be pretty subjective.

Rogue boosters being involved in recruiting

Octavian
12/14/2006, 10:50 AM
Rogue boosters being involved in recruiting

Is that worse in the eyes of the NCAA?

Because their offense happened in the recruitment aspect of their program and ours didn't....that makes it less likely we'll get sanctions?

Sooner in Tampa
12/14/2006, 10:52 AM
Bama will NEVER face the death penalty...the NCAA would not allow it.

OSUAggie
12/14/2006, 10:54 AM
No team will ever face the death penalty again, the NCAA will not allow it.

OSUAggie
12/14/2006, 10:56 AM
Is that worse in the eyes of the NCAA?

Because their offense happened in the recruitment aspect of their program and ours didn't....that makes it less likely we'll get sanctions?

Changing grades (academic fraud) and recruiting violations are the worst in the eyes of the NCAA. Paying players can be blamed on the player/booster relationship and is not easily tied to coaches/university personnel.

Scott D
12/14/2006, 10:57 AM
Here's a list (https://web1.ncaa.org/pdf/convert?pdfurl=http://goomer.ncaa.org:2020/wdbctx/lsdbi/lsdbi.lsdbi_mi_rpts.currentprobationrpt) of schools at all levels that are on probation, and which programs are on probation.

Recruiting rules violations are the biggest no-no according to the NCAA. The only real concern with the Bomar/Quinn incident is that it's on the tail of announced probation for the gymnastics and basketball teams. However, because it's not the same sport or same violation it's not a severe punishment type of matter.

Scott D
12/14/2006, 10:58 AM
Bama will NEVER face the death penalty...the NCAA would not allow it.

Actually, when the punishment was levied by the NCAA Alabama was flat out told by the person in charge of the matter that any subsequent violations while on probation would result in losing the football program.

yermom
12/14/2006, 12:35 PM
so you can play for the MNC while on probation... interesting...

Scott D
12/14/2006, 01:54 PM
it depends upon the kind of probation you get. Alabama for example in their 5 year punishment recieved a 2 year bowl ban. Prior to the 2004 Auburn team, the last undefeated Auburn team was the Terry Bowden one that went 11-0, but couldn't play for a title because they were in the midst of their probation's bowl ban period.

FaninAma
12/14/2006, 04:09 PM
I have officially placed the NCAA on permanent probation for chronic dumassedness, terminal arrogance and for being an organization rife with self-rightous, pompous hypocrites.

They are to be banished to the deepest circles of hell reserved for all petty, heartless beaurocrats.

OK2LA
12/14/2006, 04:50 PM
I hope we get put on probation - that'll teach us

TXBOOMER
12/14/2006, 04:52 PM
Is the NCAA still investigating Troy Smith for accepting cash from a TheOSU booster. I am totally shocked that noone is bringing that up.

TexasSooner01
12/14/2006, 04:58 PM
The NCAA will nevar punish Ohio St. or usc. Why....because the NCAA loves them....However, it is safe to say that the NCAA has never cared for OU.

But I think that the Bomar/Quinn thing is over. I dont think that the NCAA will agree w/Stoops on this one.

Scott D
12/14/2006, 05:04 PM
The NCAA will nevar punish Ohio St. or usc. Why....because the NCAA loves them....However, it is safe to say that the NCAA has never cared for OU.

But I think that the Bomar/Quinn thing is over. I dont think that the NCAA will agree w/Stoops on this one.

Ohio State University I-A 10-MAR-06 08-MAR-09
Football
Men's Basketball
Women's Basketball

really?

Scott D
12/14/2006, 05:21 PM
And to dig a little deeper

The committee adopted a number of penalties that were self-imposed by the institution, which the committee described as "meaningful and appropriate" in its public infractions report. The full list of penalties is as follows, with self-imposed penalties noted:

* Public reprimand and censure.
* Three years probation from March 10, 2006, through March 9, 2009.
* The institution's men's basketball team was withheld from postseason competition following the 2004-05 season. (University self-imposed)
* The former head coach was terminated by Ohio State on June 8, 2004. (University self-imposed)
* The number of financial aid awards in men's basketball was reduced from 13 to 11 during the 2005-06 season. (University self-imposed)
* The number of expense-paid visits recruits may make to the campus is limited to three during the 2006-07 academic year. This is a reduction of one from the average of four visits per year during the last four years.
* The football student-athlete was withheld from a 2004 bowl game (University self-imposed). He was also withheld from the first game of the 2005 season when he went through the NCAA student-athlete reinstatement process.
* The institution must reimburse monies received for participation in the 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2002 NCAA Division I Men's Basketball Tournament.
* The NCAA tournament records of the men's basketball team and individual record of the ineligible student-athlete are vacated for the 1999, 2000, 2001 and 2002 tournaments.
* A copy of this report will be sent to the institution's regional accrediting agency.
* The institution disassociated itself from five representatives of athletics interest in 2005. (University self-imposed)
* The former head coach was given a five-year show cause penalty until March 9, 2011.
* The former assistant coach was given a show cause penalty until October 1, 2007.

Scott D
12/14/2006, 05:25 PM
Whereas with Alabama (http://www.ncaa.org/wps/portal/!ut/p/kcxml/04_Sj9SPykssy0xPLMnMz0vM0Y_QjzKLN4j3NQDJgFjGpvqRqC KO6AI-YXARX4_83FR9b_0A_YLc0NCIckdFAEuT364!/delta/base64xml/L3dJdyEvUUd3QndNQSEvNElVRS82XzBfTFU!?CONTENT_URL=h ttp://www.ncaa.org/releases/infractions/2002091701in.htm) look at how many times the words 'Recruit' or 'Recruiting' appear.

Texas Golfer
12/14/2006, 06:31 PM
Actually, when the punishment was levied by the NCAA Alabama was flat out told by the person in charge of the matter that any subsequent violations while on probation would result in losing the football program.

I don't think the NCAA will ever do that. Not only would that punish Alabama but the entire SEC in that the conference would lose revenue without a conference championship game. Only conferences with 12 or more teams are to play a championship game.

Also, it took SMU more than 20 years to regroup after their death penalty. Many don't want to talk about it but that helped along in the demise of the SWC.

I don't think the NCAA realized the impact of the death penalty, not only to the teams, but to their conferences as well. I don't think we'll ever see the "death penalty" again.

Octavian
12/14/2006, 06:41 PM
it depends upon the kind of probation you get. Alabama for example in their 5 year punishment recieved a 2 year bowl ban. Prior to the 2004 Auburn team, the last undefeated Auburn team was the Terry Bowden one that went 11-0, but couldn't play for a title because they were in the midst of their probation's bowl ban period.

no, it depends on the polling service providing the rankings.

The AP does not have an NC restriction against programs on probation...the UPI did.

'93 Auburn (like '74 OU) was not eligible to receive the coaches' poll NC.

Whereas there was a split between OU (AP) and SC (UPI) in '74, in '93 there was a #1 vs. #2 OB matchup between Florida St. and Nebraska.

Auburn could've won the AP title, but was hindered b/c they couldn't go to a bowl.

They finished fourth in the AP and weren't ranked in the coaches'

Scott D
12/14/2006, 11:23 PM

The AP does not have an NC restriction against programs on probation...the UPI did.

Whereas there was a split between OU (AP) and SC (UPI) in '74, in '93 there was a #1 vs. #2 OB matchup between Florida St. and Nebraska.

Auburn could've won the AP title, but was hindered b/c they couldn't go to a bowl.

The UPI's restriction carried over with it when it became the USA Today Coaches Poll.

Since it's for the most part agreed upon that the winner of the BCS is the MNC for that season, the lack of bowl eligibility would prevent a scenario where the AP would make a team on probation their NC.

Frozen Sooner
12/14/2006, 11:29 PM
Don't hold me to this, but I think the BCS rules state that in the case of a team on probation that the Harris poll alone would be used for poll average. This came up a few years ago with Alabama I think.

Scott D
12/14/2006, 11:32 PM
Note: in order to participate in a BCS Bowl game, a team (i) must be eligible for post-season play under the rules of the NCAA and, if it not an independent, under the rules of its Conference and (ii) must not have imposed sanctions upon itself prohibiting participation in a post-season game for infractions of the rules of the NCAA or the rules of its Conference.

not so fast my friend! Everything I see regarding the BCS says that a team on probation can be in the standings, however if they're in a postseason ban as we were discussing before they are unable to compete for a MNC.

Octavian
12/14/2006, 11:32 PM
Don't hold me to this, but I think the BCS rules state that in the case of a team on probation that the Harris poll alone would be used for poll average. This came up a few years ago with Alabama I think.

that sounds right.

if not, a dominant undefeated team could definitely win a AP NC w/out playing in the BCS title game if all other challengers had looked unimpressive....like if tOSU was on probation this year.

Octavian
12/14/2006, 11:35 PM
Since it's for the most part agreed upon that the winner of the BCS is the MNC for that season...

though I agree w/ that, '03 is proof that splits can still happen.

Scott D
12/14/2006, 11:40 PM
though I agree w/ that, '03 is proof that splits can still happen.

only people west of Colorado and in that small pocket of Conneticut think USC were the champs in 2003 ;)

yermom
12/14/2006, 11:55 PM

back then it was the AP

they could be totally left out now... back then they had to be in the BCS rankings with the quality win component, but that isn't used anymore

the computers probably treat them the same though, i don't think they use the human polls in the calculations, but i could be wrong

i'm not sure if the Harris people are allowed to rank them or not

Frozen Sooner
12/15/2006, 12:01 AM
Yeah, it was the AP-I figured that since the AP wasn't used anymore that they'd just substitute the Harris.

I still don't know why they didn't just tell the AP to go F themselves and continue to use the poll results in the calculation while calling it the anonymous ranking or something.

DenverSooner751
12/15/2006, 12:02 AM
Wow, whoever is running Weber State, Florida A&M and Stoneybrook are some pimps. Damn, they be all kinds of on probation.

1stTimeCaller
12/15/2006, 12:04 AM

Thank you Darrell Royal.

mrowl
12/16/2006, 01:15 PM
espn.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2698937

OKLAHOMA CITY -- The University of Oklahoma asked an attorney for a Norman car dealership to provide a list of players who used vehicles from the dealership during an investigation that resulted in the dismissal of two players from the school's football team.

The university released two pages of documents Friday after an open records request by The Associated Press. The documents are a letter from the university's legal counsel, Joseph Harroz Jr., to Jeff Atkins, an attorney for David Hudiburg, the current owner of Big Red Sports and Imports, and an attachment to that letter.

In the letter, dated Sept. 5, Harroz asks Atkins to require two employees be made available to interview with university officials. It said that OU had no reason to believe the employees were involved in any NCAA violations but that their testimony was needed "to clarify and confirm our current understanding of the relevant facts of the matter."

Among the documents requested in the attachment to the letter are the dealership's service records for an unknown number of people; tax forms, paycheck stubs and-or timesheets from 2005 and-or 2006 for 10 student-athletes; and "names of football student-athletes who have made purchases from Big Red, driven Big Red vehicles and-or had their vehicles serviced by Big Red."

The names on the list of requested documents were redacted.

In an earlier investigation, OU had looked into the circumstances by which tailback Adrian Peterson bought a car and then returned it to the dealership several weeks later. The university determined the arrangement did not violate NCAA regulations.

OU athletic department spokesman Kenny Mossman said the university had no comment on the documents released Friday.

Oklahoma coach Bob Stoops kicked two players -- starting quarterback Rhett Bomar and offensive lineman J.D. Quinn -- off the team on Aug. 2 after an investigation revealed the two broke NCAA rules through their employment at Big Red. Hudiburg bought the dealership in April, after the alleged violations occurred, and Atkins has said that no Oklahoma players have worked at the dealership since Hudiburg became its owner.

Bomar has transferred to Sam Houston State and Quinn has transferred to Montana. The NCAA has ruled they must sit out one season and lose a season of eligibility.

The NCAA told the university in October that it had officially begun an investigation into the alleged violations by Bomar and Quinn. The NCAA had told the university that it hoped to finish its work by Nov. 1.

Nov. 1st has come and gone....

Scott D
12/16/2006, 01:17 PM
[sf.com chicken little conspiracy types]oh noes, we're going to get the death penalty![/sf.com chicken little conspiracy types]

Rocker
12/16/2006, 07:55 PM
Are they even still looking at usc??

Yes expect to see ALOT in spring of 2007