PDA

View Full Version : In honor of the "Hillbilly" thread, the "How in Hell did I live to 18" thread

Frozen Sooner
12/12/2006, 08:01 PM
So, let's hear about stupid stuff you did as a kid that you can't believe you've lived to tell about.

From the hillbilly thread for me:

Jumped a river in a car.
Attempted to melt ice and snow with gasoline.
Broke through the ice on a lake in a jeep.

Other stuff:

Built tunnels in snow piles
Used to have dirt clod fights at construction sites
Shot at each other with BB guns all the time.
Got shot with a .22 (which I hesitate to call a "real" gun) once. Have a nice little scar on my arm from it, too.

Okla-homey
12/12/2006, 08:09 PM
I shot a man in Reno.

Just to watch him die.

crawfish
12/12/2006, 08:13 PM
I drove 140MPH from Harlingen, TX to Kingsville, TX. 100 miles in a about 45 minutes...

royalfan5
12/12/2006, 08:35 PM
Played Dukes of Hazzard in my car
Roman Candle Fights
Thought I could hurdle a fence, caught my foot and landed face first
Caught on fire torch welding numerous times.

mrowl
12/12/2006, 08:51 PM
did 120 through the arbuckles, ended up losing control, did 3 360's, never flipped, stopped 5 feet from rock wall. not a scratch.

went off a rock cliff in an old geo metro into nearby lake. (the car is still there :D )

all the stupid stuff always involved vehicles.

GottaHavePride
12/12/2006, 08:52 PM
I jumped out of a treehouse once. I was scared of heights and I thought jumping would be less scary than looking down long enough to use the ladder. It was also more painful.

JohnnyMack
12/12/2006, 08:54 PM
Called Chuck Norris a ***** to his face. That was almost the end of me.

OKLA21FAN
12/12/2006, 08:57 PM
when my girl friend and i broke up my Senior year....
i thought it would be time to 'celebrate' my freedom, and proceed to drink everything in site.

later that night , i drove myself from 21st Street to 71st on Riverside Drive in Tulsa. the catch was that i had to 'squint' and close one eye to only see 3 or so 'yellow' center lines (this was back in '81 before the big road expansion...and yes, at that time Riverside Drive only made it to 61st street)

i made it

usmc-sooner
12/12/2006, 08:59 PM
I posted in the SO

DustySooner
12/12/2006, 09:02 PM
4th of Julys were the worst for me.

Highschoolers+Lighters+Explosives=Armageddon.

I accidently set a field on fire by my dad's old house when I was 17, then the following year when I was 18 me and my buddies set one of my friend's house on fire accidently. Before throwing a box that shoots 18 tennis ball sized explosives a mile in the air in the trash full of alcohol apparently my buddy thought that urinating on it would take care of making sure the box wasn't on fire. In my buddies defense I should have made sure it was completely out. I did light it.

Not to forget the ever so fun roman candle wars that left scars on almost every friend that participated because the "stay back at least 10 feet when shooting" rule isn't properly followed.

SoonerInKCMO
12/12/2006, 09:08 PM
Mixing Clorox and Drano leads to fun times. I lost a pair of jeans doing it. I was at lunch during school at the time. :eek: Almost poisoned me and the dog with the chlorine gas another time I did it.

SoonerInKCMO
12/12/2006, 09:11 PM
The speedometer on my '78 Grand Prix with the 305 was broken so I'm not sure how fast I was going... but I'm pretty sure I hit triple digits several times on two-lanes on the southeast side of OKC - Choctaw Rd., Anderson Rd., etc.

This, of course, was well after Midnight and after spending most of the night at some kegger at somebody's hillbilly abode or just off in the woods somewhere.

Viking Kitten
12/12/2006, 09:15 PM
Climbing (drunk) to the top of a 50-foot oil derrick, then sitting atop the 2' x 4' platform (no rails), drinking some more, then climbing back down.

SoonerInKCMO
12/12/2006, 09:21 PM
Climbing (drunk) to the top of an 50-foot oil derrick, then sitting atop the 2' x 4' platform (no rails), drinking some more, then climbing back down.

This is "How in Hell did I live to 18?"... not "How in Hell did I survive last weekend?"

Viking Kitten
12/12/2006, 09:24 PM
Who you been talking to?

SoonerInKCMO
12/12/2006, 09:26 PM
****... e'rybody knows what you been doin'.

Mongo
12/12/2006, 09:32 PM
A head full of 8 grams of magic fungus and an 8 hour drive to mexico.

TheBobbyTrain
12/12/2006, 10:46 PM
148 mph in a Z-28 - after slowing down, about 2 miles down the road was an OHP

inflicting over $3k in damage to my '88 K5 Jimmy while offroading/mudding at lake murray - it still drove home to norman

BoogercountySooner
12/12/2006, 10:50 PM
Had sex with my high school English teacher! Just happened to be one of my Mom's friends. I made straight A's in English!:D

GottaHavePride
12/12/2006, 11:01 PM
Dude, and they didn't talk about it on national TV and arrest her? ;)

BoogercountySooner
12/12/2006, 11:04 PM
It was Arkansas Dumbass!;)

Soonerus
12/12/2006, 11:09 PM
I can't even recount all of the really stupids things....

critical_phil
12/12/2006, 11:26 PM
http://www.expertgps.com/help/images/menu/menu_check.png Used to have dirt clod fights at construction sites
http://www.expertgps.com/help/images/menu/menu_check.png Shot at each other with BB guns all the time.
http://www.expertgps.com/help/images/menu/menu_check.png Got shot with a .22
http://www.expertgps.com/help/images/menu/menu_check.png Roman Candle Fights
http://www.expertgps.com/help/images/menu/menu_check.png Caught on fire torch welding

+ many others.....

olevetonahill
12/12/2006, 11:33 PM
It was Arkansas Dumbass! plus i was 32 they had to burn the schoolhouse down to get me out of the 8th grade ;)
:eek:

Sooner Born Sooner Bred
12/12/2006, 11:51 PM
I was a good girl until I turned 30.

LoyalFan
12/12/2006, 11:57 PM
Circa early 1950's, with Army officer Dad in the Paradise known as the Panama Canal Zone...(Before that idiot peanut farmer effed it all up.)
We're fishing in one of the lakes between sections of the Canal. I make a long cast and hang my plug on a log. I tell the Popster I'll be right back, strip nekkid and dive in to retrieve my lure.
Halfway to the "log", it begins to lazily swim TOWARD me. I walk on water back to the shore, sorely disappointing what had to be the slowest 13 foot-long (Dad's estimate, I'm sticking with 100 feet.) caiman in Panama.
Caimans, BTW, are like giggilators, only grouchier.

LoyalFan
You should nevAr smile at a crocodile.
And don't smirk at caimans either!

olevetonahill
12/13/2006, 03:18 AM
I was a good girl until I turned 30.
Then became Great :cool:

BoogercountySooner
12/13/2006, 06:38 AM
:eek:

:D

stoopified
12/13/2006, 10:08 AM
July 1974 I am riding a bike down S.Main in Blackwell ,America and the next thing I know I'm in the hospital.Apparently i got hit by a car.In the archives of THE BLACKWELL JOURNAL there is a front page picture of me laying unconcious on Main Street being attented to by paramedics and surrounded by onlookers.One of my shoes was founded about 50 feet down the road from where I landed.The last thing I recall was passing by Braums.Next meory I have is brief glimpse of my cousins frightened look as she watched me pass down the hall of the hospital.

Apparently my head hit the support bar on the windsheild,snapped it and impacted the glass.I sufferred a minor concussion and was relesed from the hospital in 48 hours.This was deemed by my family as further proof of how hard-headed I was.

fadada1
12/13/2006, 10:20 AM
Climbing (drunk) to the top of a 50-foot oil derrick, then sitting atop the 2' x 4' platform (no rails), drinking some more, then climbing back down.
i don't remember seeing you up there!!!!!

was the one you were on moving??? mine was.

Osce0la
12/13/2006, 10:29 AM
I drove 140MPH from Harlingen, TX to Kingsville, TX. 100 miles in a about 45 minutes...
I did about 120 down a 30 mile stretch of interstate here in Birmingham.

I'm not so much surprised that I made it to 18, but more surprised that I made it to 23. The things I did after I got out of high school shock me when I look back on it. I don't know how I didn't end up in jail or dead.

Viking Kitten
12/13/2006, 10:31 AM
i don't remember seeing you up there!!!!!

was the one you were on moving??? mine was.

Was yours moving in the "transportation" sense or the "if the derrick's a rockin', don't bother knockin" sense? :D

SoonerStormchaser
12/13/2006, 10:34 AM
Not so much "how did I live to 18" as "how did I live to 23"...

Took a moose through the windshield of my rental 2005 Toyota Sienna last year in Grand Teton NP, Wyoming at 5 a.m. doing 55 mph on my way to Jackson Hole airport. Walked away with a small scar in my shoulder from digging a piece of glass out of it. The park ranger arriving on the scene said I was the first one in his 30 years there who was up front and wasn't carried out in a stretcher or a body bag.

Osce0la
12/13/2006, 10:45 AM
After I graduated some friends and I would get in the car, go down to the gas station, pick up a half case of beer, and ride around drinking the beer. When we finished the half case we'd go back and get more, ride around and drink that. Then if we wanted more we'd go get more.

Then one night I had the idea "Sloss Furnace (http://www.slossfurnaces.com/media/html/home/sloss_story.php) is supposed to be one of the most haunted places in America - let's go walk through it". So we take our drunk selves out to Sloss Furnace and walk around, then decide to go up to the top of the tower:
http://www.geocities.com/spizzwink/south/P1002023_Sloss_Furnaces.jpg

We went back several times - once we even took a half case of beer up the tower with us and sat up there drinking for about 2 hours.

Trespassing in a national landmark is always a good idea...

BoogercountySooner
12/13/2006, 10:48 AM
Boy that looks scary!;)

frankensooner
12/13/2006, 10:57 AM
When I got my 76 cutlass up to 120 it started shaking, I figured it was the tire balancing, did anyone else get the warbles at excessive speeds?

Osce0la
12/13/2006, 10:59 AM
When I got my 76 cutlass up to 120 it started shaking, I figured it was the tire balancing, did anyone else get the warbles at excessive speeds?
Heh, I was doing 120 in a '92 Corolla (and this was in 2001) :D Never started shaking or anything, ran just as smooth as it would at 60.

royalfan5
12/13/2006, 11:01 AM
My 1979 Cutlass didn't wobble at top end.

frankensooner
12/13/2006, 11:05 AM
Heck, maybe it was the road I was on then. I don't think I will do that again though, just to find out. I have learned a few things in the past 24 years.