PDA

View Full Version : Strait picked up by Panthers

Archangel
12/12/2006, 03:36 PM
Panthers make roster moves
December 11, 2006
Panthers.com

The Carolina Panthers have claimed cornerback Derrick Strait off waivers from the Chicago Bears and have placed cornerback Christian Morton on injured reserve, the team announced Monday.

In three NFL seasons, Strait (5-11, 189) has played in 27 games with one start for the New York Jets, Tampa Bay and Chicago and has posted 46 tackles, three passes defensed and one fumble recovery. Originally a third-round draft choice by the Jets in 2004, he saw action in five games as a rookie before appearing in all 16 games and notching 31 tackles in 2005.

Strait began the 2006 campaign with New York, playing in five games with one start. After being waived by the Jets, he was inactive for one contest with the Buccaneers and appeared in one game and was inactive for three contests with the Bears.

Strait started a school-record 53 games at Oklahoma, where he totaled 264 tackles, two sacks, 14 interceptions, 54 passes defensed and seven forced fumbles. He set the Big 12 Conference career record with 14 interceptions and established the Sooners single-season mark with five fumble recoveries as a senior.

Morton injured his right hamstring while covering a punt in the first quarter of Sunday's game versus the New York Giants. Morton, who was signed off of the Panthers practice squad on October 20, played in seven games with two starts and recorded six tackles, one interception and one pass defensed.

http://www.panthers.com/Common/Article.aspx?id=15284

soonersam
12/12/2006, 03:41 PM
good for him!!!

MamaMia
12/12/2006, 03:57 PM
Are there anymore Sooners on that team?

toast
12/12/2006, 04:08 PM
Are there anymore Sooners on that team?

don't know, but I'm sure he will have an interesting conversation or two with Weinke. :)

sooner94
12/12/2006, 07:18 PM
don't know, but I'm sure he will have an interesting conversation or two with Weinke. :)

It would be even better if the Panthers picked up Torrance Marshall too.

Archangel
12/12/2006, 08:31 PM
Maybe they'll draft Rufus. I think LB is one of their primary needs to address in the offseason.

TripleOption14
12/12/2006, 10:07 PM
You know if he picks up their defensive scheme quickly he could be starting this weekend!!! I know for a fact that Dion Byrum a rookie CB from Ohio U. started last week for the Panthers. Not to be mean to Dion but i don't think he's ready yet so.... that could mean Derrick starts right away!!