PDA

View Full Version : Vietnam era Sooners?

achiro
12/12/2006, 12:57 PM
I was born in 1970 so really not aware of what was going on at the time. I was just wondering how/if the war affected Sooner Football? As far as recruiting, players leaving for the military, fan base, etc.
Just curious more than anything.

OKLA21FAN
12/12/2006, 01:03 PM
'son, there aint no draft no more'
http://images.dawgsports.com/images/admin/Dewey_Oxberger_with_Sergeant_Hulka.jpg

OUDoc
12/12/2006, 01:03 PM
There was one?

fadada1
12/12/2006, 01:21 PM
lighten up, francis.

Billy_Baller
12/12/2006, 01:46 PM
http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/buffalo/KalsuBuf.jpg

Bob Kalsu (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_19_228/ai_n6126452)

achiro
12/13/2006, 11:18 AM
Man, I got some AWESOME conversatin going here!:(

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/13/2006, 11:37 AM
Well, 1971-1975 were certainly some of the most successful in Sooner football history!

fadada1
12/13/2006, 11:49 AM
Well, 1971-1975 were certainly some of the most successful in Sooner football history!
but do we really consider 71-75 true vietnam era?? or was this the "i'm sick of this stupid war and men are still dying for no reason but OU is still really freaking good" era?

12/13/2006, 11:54 AM
but do we really consider 71-75 true vietnam era?? or was this the "i'm sick of this stupid war and men are still dying for no reason but OU is still really freaking good" era?So, you're only calling '63-69 the Vietnam era? Sooners were pretty good after '65, eh?

fadada1
12/13/2006, 11:57 AM
So, you're only calling '63-69 the Vietnam era? Sooners were pretty good after '65, eh?
no, no. 71-75 is more like the post(ish) height of the vietnam war. OU's been good since before bear bryant invented the solar system.

12/13/2006, 12:14 PM
no, no. 71-75 is more like the post(ish) height of the vietnam war. OU's been good since before bear bryant invented the solar system.Sooners were pretty good when Bennie Owen coached, Dewey "Snorter" Luster, and Tom Stidham Sr., too. Great under Bud, Barry and on verge of great under Bob, IMHO.

fadada1
12/13/2006, 12:15 PM
yep.

BoomerJack
12/13/2006, 01:17 PM
I attended from fall '68 thru Dec. '72. I don't think it affected OU football much since as long as the players stayed in good academic standing, they could hold on to their student deferments.

I don't recall anyone doing what Pat Tillman did. Simply giving up their 'ship and joining the military.

Miko
12/13/2006, 02:23 PM
http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com/nfl/buffalo/KalsuBuf.jpg

Bob Kalsu (http://www.findarticles.com/p/articles/mi_m1208/is_19_228/ai_n6126452)

Great read!

OUinFLA
12/13/2006, 03:39 PM
During the Vietnam era, even though the draft was still in effect, there was an automatic student deferment for those who could successfully keep their grades up and stay in school. Once you graduated or dropped out, you were fair game for the Selective Service. And due to the high number of armed forces personel at that time, service was almost guranteed. Unless, you were physically unable, or engaged in an occupation that was considered necessary to National interests.

In the years you are refering to, the draft lottery (birthdate) was instituted, and a lot of young men avoided being drafted if they were born on higher ranking dates. In most of Oklahoma though, it didnt matter much as most of the Selective Service Centers had so few young men on the rolls, that they went through all the lottery dates just to meet their required number of inductiees. In the larger population centers, there was a better chance of catching a break and not being drafted due to the lottery.

As far as effecting the Team, most young men at that time tried real hard to stay in school. Vietnam was not a desirable place to spend a year.

fadada1
12/13/2006, 04:13 PM
During the Vietnam era, even though the draft was still in effect, there was an automatic student deferment for those who could successfully keep their grades up and stay in school. Once you graduated or dropped out, you were fair game for the Selective Service. And due to the high number of armed forces personel at that time, service was almost guranteed. Unless, you were physically unable, or engaged in an occupation that was considered necessary to National interests.

In the years you are refering to, the draft lottery (birthdate) was instituted, and a lot of young men avoided being drafted if they were born on higher ranking dates. In most of Oklahoma though, it didnt matter much as most of the Selective Service Centers had so few young men on the rolls, that they went through all the lottery dates just to meet their required number of inductiees. In the larger population centers, there was a better chance of catching a break and not being drafted due to the lottery.

As far as effecting the Team, most young men at that time tried real hard to stay in school. Vietnam was not a desirable place to spend a year.
my dad graduated college in '66 and taught for a year. he saw the proverbial handwriting on the wall (and a draft number that was a real possibility), and quickly joined the air force as an officer. the viet cong never invaded biloxi or OKC.