PDA

View Full Version : alabama coach???

fadada1
12/12/2006, 11:55 AM
cold pizza (on espn) just suggested switzer to alabama.

discuss.

sooner94
12/12/2006, 11:57 AM
That's just crazy talk. Make it stop. :eek:

Tulsa_Fireman
12/12/2006, 12:02 PM
Who suggested that on Cold Pizza?

If it's Skip Bayless, it's official. I'm jihad'ing his ***.

fadada1
12/12/2006, 12:06 PM
it was one of their extras - guest guy.

Blues1
12/12/2006, 12:18 PM
IF ---Barry did take that Job...???

I would have to forgive Bama for the 62 bowl loss and Become a fan.... :)

Taxman71
12/12/2006, 12:38 PM
Back in June of 1989, Barry said he would never coach at another college. I believe him. It would be kinda cool though.

OUDoc
12/12/2006, 12:47 PM
He could easily earn Bama another 70-80 MNC's.

landrun
12/12/2006, 01:04 PM
Nope.

The King isn't listed as a possible replacement.

Here's the list. :D

This guy has the scoop:
sportsline.com/spin/story/9836877

"Thanks to my newfound SEC street cred over the DDT, I was able to get a list of the top 11 candidates that the Alabama search committee has vetted along with their notes analyzing the pros and cons of each candidate. I have changed nothing from this list and replicate it forthwith for your own perusal:

1. Bear Bryant -- Pros: Won 14 million national championships and once wrestled a bear. Cons: Is currently still dead (confirm?).

2. Jesus Christ -- Pros: Once rose from the dead, ergo long hours are not going to be an issue. Healed the sick, made fish for thousands, and other miracles. Plus, He has been crucified so being burned in effigy after He loses to Auburn for the sixth consecutive year will not be a big deal. Cons: There have been suggestions that He gets the benefit of the doubt because of who His father is. And we've been through that already.

3. Bear Bryant -- Pros: Won 14 million national championships and once wrestled a bear. Cons: After diligent inquiry, body exhumation and shock treatment to remains, sadly, the Bear remains dead.

4. Moses -- Pros: Pretty strong disciplinarian. Was involved in the Ten Commandments. Cons: Rigid adherence to the Ten Commandments makes recruiting harder. Also, he has a beard. The Bear did not have a beard.

5. Shelley Meyer -- Pros: Is rumored to be the brains behind Florida coach Urban Meyer. This could help us in recruiting by dividing the Meyer family. Plus, since we passed on hiring a black coach, it would be quite a splash to hire football's first female coach. We'd be like that school that hired Goldie Hawn. And we all know how good Wesley Snipes ended up playing for her. Cons: Is a woman. The Bear was not a woman.

6. Bill Belichick -- Pros: Supposedly this Super Bowl is sort of a big deal. He's won three of them. Cons: Bear Bryant would have won, conservatively, 33 million Super Bowls if he had coached in the NFL.

7. Tim Tebow -- Pros: Player-managers have been successful in baseball, why not a scholarship athlete-coach? We'd be revolutionary. The football equivalent of the electric toothbrush. Cons: Tim Tebow doesn't like us.

8. Ed Orgeron -- Pros: Almost as unintelligible as the Bear when he speaks. Cons: Could be charged with several felonies on any given Saturday.

9. That coach from the Friday Night Lights television show -- Pros: Proves to everyone that Alabama can think outside the box (and inside the teletube box, too). That we're able to adapt to new paradigms. That we understand the long tail and how it impacts the rapidity of globalization. (Insert other new-agey business terms here to sound smart for media.) Cons: Football games aren't won with newfangled contraptions like the video cassette recorder or helmets. Everyone knows they're won with houndstooth hats.

10. Tom Berenger -- Pros: Actually played the Bear in a recent movie and is still alive. Also played Jake Taylor in Major League so he knows the importance of turning a losing team around. Cons: Is currently slated to star in the movie The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey. Everyone knows there has only ever been one Christmas Miracle and we aren't even willing to hire Jesus. How would the boosters react?"

westcoast_sooner
12/12/2006, 01:19 PM
Link:
http://www.creedscove.com/sites/al/newcoach/

soonersam
12/12/2006, 01:30 PM
Nope.

The King isn't listed as a possible replacement.

Here's the list. :D

This guy has the scoop:
sportsline.com/spin/story/9836877

"Thanks to my newfound SEC street cred over the DDT, I was able to get a list of the top 11 candidates that the Alabama search committee has vetted along with their notes analyzing the pros and cons of each candidate. I have changed nothing from this list and replicate it forthwith for your own perusal:

1. Bear Bryant -- Pros: Won 14 million national championships and once wrestled a bear. Cons: Is currently still dead (confirm?).

2. Jesus Christ -- Pros: Once rose from the dead, ergo long hours are not going to be an issue. Healed the sick, made fish for thousands, and other miracles. Plus, He has been crucified so being burned in effigy after He loses to Auburn for the sixth consecutive year will not be a big deal. Cons: There have been suggestions that He gets the benefit of the doubt because of who His father is. And we've been through that already.

3. Bear Bryant -- Pros: Won 14 million national championships and once wrestled a bear. Cons: After diligent inquiry, body exhumation and shock treatment to remains, sadly, the Bear remains dead.

4. Moses -- Pros: Pretty strong disciplinarian. Was involved in the Ten Commandments. Cons: Rigid adherence to the Ten Commandments makes recruiting harder. Also, he has a beard. The Bear did not have a beard.

5. Shelley Meyer -- Pros: Is rumored to be the brains behind Florida coach Urban Meyer. This could help us in recruiting by dividing the Meyer family. Plus, since we passed on hiring a black coach, it would be quite a splash to hire football's first female coach. We'd be like that school that hired Goldie Hawn. And we all know how good Wesley Snipes ended up playing for her. Cons: Is a woman. The Bear was not a woman.

6. Bill Belichick -- Pros: Supposedly this Super Bowl is sort of a big deal. He's won three of them. Cons: Bear Bryant would have won, conservatively, 33 million Super Bowls if he had coached in the NFL.

7. Tim Tebow -- Pros: Player-managers have been successful in baseball, why not a scholarship athlete-coach? We'd be revolutionary. The football equivalent of the electric toothbrush. Cons: Tim Tebow doesn't like us.

8. Ed Orgeron -- Pros: Almost as unintelligible as the Bear when he speaks. Cons: Could be charged with several felonies on any given Saturday.

9. That coach from the Friday Night Lights television show -- Pros: Proves to everyone that Alabama can think outside the box (and inside the teletube box, too). That we're able to adapt to new paradigms. That we understand the long tail and how it impacts the rapidity of globalization. (Insert other new-agey business terms here to sound smart for media.) Cons: Football games aren't won with newfangled contraptions like the video cassette recorder or helmets. Everyone knows they're won with houndstooth hats.

10. Tom Berenger -- Pros: Actually played the Bear in a recent movie and is still alive. Also played Jake Taylor in Major League so he knows the importance of turning a losing team around. Cons: Is currently slated to star in the movie The Christmas Miracle of Jonathan Toomey. Everyone knows there has only ever been one Christmas Miracle and we aren't even willing to hire Jesus. How would the boosters react?"
Jesus??
Thats funny stuff.. spek cumin your way fool...

OK2LA
12/12/2006, 01:38 PM
it was one of their extras - guest guy.

Actually, it WAS Skip Bayless.

The 'other' guy was Jay Feely (kicker for Giants) - he suggested a high school coach in Tampa.

fadada1
12/12/2006, 01:53 PM
Actually, it WAS Skip Bayless.

The 'other' guy was Jay Feely (kicker for Giants) - he suggested a high school coach in Tampa.
yep. it's on again right now.

fadada1
12/12/2006, 01:59 PM
don't know if it's been brought up before, but has anyone suggested brent venables for this job? we hired coach stoops without any head coaching experience. and with the exception of alabama's 45 more national championships than ours, we have comparable histories. venables is only slightly younger than stoops was when he started at OU.

just sayin'.

Blues1
12/12/2006, 02:02 PM
don't know if it's been brought up before, but has anyone suggested brent venables for this job? we hired coach stoops without any head coaching experience. and with the exception of alabama's 45 more national championships than ours, we have comparable histories. venables is only slightly younger than stoops was when he started at OU.

just sayin'.

Look Out you just gave Bama a Good idea.....Hope they are still stupid enough not to see it......:eek:

soonerinabilene
12/12/2006, 02:07 PM
all i know is they should SERIOUSLY give frank solich a call...

Collier11
12/12/2006, 02:38 PM
I am done with all of these retreads, bama and other schools need to start being risk-takers such as Ou was, although not a sexxy pic, I like that Miami hired their D-coordinator instead of hiring someone like john robinson or some old fart like that

goingoneight
12/12/2006, 07:56 PM
Why are people turning Bama down like they're some worthless OSU team. Seems to me that a job like that, at a place surrounded by talent, in a BCS conference, the facilities, the fans... why would ANYONE want to keep a job at such powerhouses as New Jersey Aggy, West Virgina (yes, I spelled it "Vir-gina") or Whoisville when offered there. That would be like Bob Stoops saying, "No, Oklahoma, I'll just hold OUt for Coach Snyder's retirement at KSU."

The Ensuing Kickoff
12/12/2006, 08:08 PM
Jon Gruden.

Such a hire would have the muscle to calm most immediate criticism from Bama folks who want a homer. It could also salvage the 2007 Tide recruiting class.

But heck - maybe he could WIN in Bama.

I bet if they offer him the job with money like Florida/Spurrier or LSU/Saban or Oklahoma/Stoops, he might go.

mrowl
12/12/2006, 08:14 PM
Why are people turning Bama down like they're some worthless OSU team. Seems to me that a job like that, at a place surrounded by talent, in a BCS conference, the facilities, the fans... why would ANYONE want to keep a job at such powerhouses as New Jersey Aggy, West Virgina (yes, I spelled it "Vir-gina") or Whoisville when offered there. That would be like Bob Stoops saying, "No, Oklahoma, I'll just hold OUt for Coach Snyder's retirement at KSU."

its because the fans, boosters, and AD can't get past the dead bear. They need to let go. Any big name doesn't want to deal with the bama leadership, or boosters.

Thats why they have to take a chance on a guy like kragthorpe.

Blues1
12/13/2006, 12:16 AM
And the Beat goes on......
LINK
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16163890/