PDA

View Full Version : You want a playoff?

Spray
12/12/2006, 11:11 AM
Then put your money where your mouth is and attend NO bowl games (including the Fiesta) and pick 1 bowl game to watch on TV this year.

Like everything else in America the power is with the consumer. And be prepared to take this action for several years running.

All we hear over and over is that the college presidents don't want a playoff because of the "sanctity", i.e. "money", of the bowl system. If its not so lucrative, then they'll look for the next golden goose.

Blues1
12/12/2006, 11:31 AM
Then I would miss "Slaughter Monday" -- Besides My money don't count -- Got to watch ALL those Games -- I'll boycottt The Rose Parade will that help... ;)

Got to watch & Keep R

JohnnyMack
12/12/2006, 11:34 AM
You'll get a playoff. In a few years. It'll be called the +1 system. Enjoy it. That's all you're going to get.

CatfishSooner
12/12/2006, 11:46 AM
cool.

SwooshOU
12/12/2006, 11:46 AM
An eight team playoff would be perfect. Top 8 in BCS battle it out for the National Title.

MamaMia
12/12/2006, 12:04 PM
Nobody important has to know, so how about I watch them all and pretend I didn't? :D

Spray
12/12/2006, 01:18 PM
You all have no dedication to the cause. By the way, I have chosen the GMAC Bowl on January 7 to watch. Ohio v. Southern Miss. Compelling.

On a serious note, I will be trying to cut out watching unnecessary BS- the sooner some of these bunk bowls start producing zero revenue/interest, the better off we'll all be.

However, I too cannot go cold turkey.

jwlynn64
12/12/2006, 01:21 PM
An eight team playoff would be perfect. Top 8 in BCS battle it out for the National Title.

Can we just agree that you have to win your conference to be in the playoff for the National Championship.

If you can't win your conference, you don't deserve the chance to play for the MNC.

yermom
12/12/2006, 01:25 PM
you don't think it's possible for the best two teams to be in the same conference?

Spray
12/12/2006, 01:36 PM
FOCUS, PEOPLE. This is not a "best playoff system" thread. This is a "fight the powa" thread.

shavedmarmoset
12/12/2006, 01:56 PM
you don't think it's possible for the best two teams to be in the same conference?

It could happen. But the advantage of winning your conference is that it proves that you're better than any other team in your conference and another conference champion can take a crack at you.

boomersooner28
12/12/2006, 02:33 PM
I think the best way to get a playoff is already happening. You have to get the powerhouse school Presidents ****ed off by leaving their team out of the MNC game. USC, Auburn, Michigan, etc. have been left out now and if this happens to enough of them they may start to rethink this whole BCS fiasco.

sooner_born_1960
12/12/2006, 02:47 PM
Can we just agree that you have to win your conference to be in the playoff for the National Championship.

If you can't win your conference, you don't deserve the chance to play for the MNC.
You mean like all the other NCAA sports?

Scott D
12/12/2006, 04:43 PM
The current NCAA Basketball rankings should be proof enough that any playoff system will be a joke, and the regular season will be a joke along with it.

jwlynn64
12/13/2006, 09:22 AM
With as few games as football teams play, the regular season would still be very important. The games that would become unimportant are the out of conference games to start the year.

It is conceivable that you could lose all your OOC games and still win your conference and make it into the "Playoff".

As far as the two best teams being in the same conference, who cares. You're not trying to decide who the second best team is, only the best. It's your bad luck if you happen to be in the same conference as the best.

Spray
12/13/2006, 03:22 PM
(http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1711601#post1711601)You want a playoff? (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1711601#post1711601) 12/13/2006 12:24 PM What a dumb idea and a dumb point. (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?p=1711601#post1711601)

Care to actually give a reasoned response? Or is the point too "dumb" to warrant one?

Jackass.

sooner94
12/13/2006, 03:36 PM
[Jim Mora on verge of nervous breakdown] Playoffs?!?!?!?! Who's talkin bout playoffs?!?!?! [Jim More on verge of nervous breakdown]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kc2pAtAA85I

soonertruth12
12/13/2006, 04:18 PM
what if we had a plus one bowl this year? who plays?

and does an undefeated team like Boise State deserve a chance to get in?
IMHO i think they will get a chance to show it when they play us Jan. 1st and i dont think they have what it takes

poke4christ
12/13/2006, 04:54 PM
IMHO this is how it will go:

4 team playoff (plus 1 system): Next 5-10 years.
8 team playoff: Next 10-15 years
12 team playoff: 15-20 years
16 team playoff: anytime afterward.

Time is the only thing that will get us a playoff. They will slowly give it a chance and see that it is making money. Then the bowls will slowly loose their strength. Keep the bowls for those who don't make the playoffs, but I would really like to see this system happen.

StoopTroup
12/13/2006, 06:34 PM
How will a playoff system help oSu?

Penguin
12/13/2006, 07:04 PM
Not going to happen.

Ever.

Get used to it.

jacru
12/13/2006, 07:41 PM
IMO a playoff is only to determine who is really #1. It should only include teams whose regular season record (including a conference championship) qualifies them as a probable NC team. No Cinderellas (leave that to NCAA BBall). 4 to 6 teams max. (1st round byes to #1 & #2 if 6 teams). Does any one really think the best team in the country would be ranked below #6, if that low?

josh09
12/13/2006, 08:04 PM
Then put your money where your mouth is and attend NO bowl games (including the Fiesta) and pick 1 bowl game to watch on TV this year.

Like everything else in America the power is with the consumer. And be prepared to take this action for several years running.

All we hear over and over is that the college presidents don't want a playoff because of the "sanctity", i.e. "money", of the bowl system. If its not so lucrative, then they'll look for the next golden goose.

A very good point

Spray
1/14/2012, 10:32 AM

Posted in 2006. WHOA.

And it looks as though turrible ratings and declining attendance may get us our first playoff after all.

SoonerSpock
1/14/2012, 11:08 AM
To each his own. My preference is determined by what is best for OU football. No question that is the present BCS Championship with the possible +1 concept working for the Sooners as well.

The present BCS system works to the advantage of the perenial football powers of which the Sooners among the top 5 schools annually under consideration for title game consideration. From 2000-2008 OU played for the national championship 4 times (2000, 2003, 2004 and 2008). Had there been an eight team playoff it is most probable that OU would have played in only one perhaps two championship games.

With regard to opportunity the same relative circumstances will exist for the Sooners when comparing the BCS system to the playoff system over the next decade. A playoff system may be best for college football in general but it is definitely not to the advantage of the Sooner as is the BCS system.

StoopTroup
1/14/2012, 12:17 PM
Care to actually give a reasoned response? Or is the point too "dumb" to warrant one?

Jackass.

Yes I will. There have actually been quite a few on the board. I think it's more a matter of the folks who think there needs to be a better system aren't going to accept that there isn't really to much wrong with the current system of picking a winner.

I will agree that the current system doesn't offer up a system that allows an underdog who's team is hot at the Seasons end to maybe pull off a win because the team that is better didn't win because their freshman kicker blew a chip shot.

The thing is....if you win your games you usually get a shot at the MNC as "Winning Out" has been difficult for every team out there no matter what Conference they are in.

This year we saw a repeat of a close game that was played earlier in the year. The Team that won got beat and their undefeated Season crushed. That seems to mean that the best two Teams were matched up. The 3rd and 4th place teams were also well matched up as the ending was exciting and both teams who had Heisman Candidates in that Game were matched up. Both Heisman candidates in that one lost the Heisman for the same reasons they didn't make the BCS Championship....they failed to be difference makers in the Games they should have won but instead lost.

So, none of us want to accept that the current Bowl System isn't perfect and you and I are actually in agreement but because of the long storied past of the Bowl System we have, it's the best system for College Football Fans. A playoff system will be just another imperfect System that will hurt local economies that for year's have been involved in making many Fans happy that their 8-5 or 7-6 and 9-3 teams were able to go see the Seniors on those Teams go win that last Game of their Career.

I think the playoff folks miss that. The kids that play their butts off for 4-5 years and maybe even have a shot at an NFL Career would probably end up pushed out of a post season because they didn't choose or get lucky enough to be recruited to the Super Conference Teams that seem to post season contenders every year. The playoff system might get the occasional Non-super Conference Team in say a 10 team playoff but it's highly doubtful it would happen in a 4 Team +1 that seems to be the current change some folks want the NCAA to agree to.

oudavid1
1/14/2012, 11:14 PM
If you want a playoff, watch the NFL. Every year a team gets hot for 4 weeks and wins the championship. Packers barely made it in last year. Giants beat the Pats in 07. Were they the best team? Giants lost to Pats earlier that year. BCS makes it simple, beat everyone and be in a good conference. Be great.

Spray
1/15/2012, 12:15 AM
6 NFL wild card teams have won a Super Bowl- that's it. And more of those have been recently because free agency has allowed the NFL to master parity. Which is why it is a purer, more satisfying form of football entertainment than college football. Not withstanding the fact that the actual football played is 10 times better (for obvious reasons). The point is- don't compare the NFL playoffs to what a college playoff would be. It's absolute apples and oranges. But it doesn't mean college football shouldn't have a playoff.

I started this thread 5 years ago, when I was a staunch opponent to a playoff in college football. I just knew that those pining for a playoff should put their money where their mouth was. And I was right.

However, I am now in favor of a 16 team playoff because I know the game (and the fans) have evolved. ALL arguments against a playoff are hollow.

- the bowl system as it was (the "tradition") was lost 20 years ago. It's a farce and nothing but a tourism ploy now. Tampa can figure out another way to attract tourism dollars for the week between Christmas and New Years without screwing over and holding college football hostage.
-exams don't mean ****
-home games take care of the first round. And, yes, schools can figure out the logistics. OU can plug a non-conference hole it its schedule in 4 months but can't fit in a 1st round playoff game? Give me a break.
- Fans traveling? Most teams have more than 40,000 fans each. I'll hit the semifinal, my rich friend Phil will take in the final and I'll watch it on TV (and the ratings will be through the roof BTW). The games will sell-out. That's the dumbest argument of all.

The powers that be should pull their heads out of their collective asses. The NFL treats me right. College? Not so much anymore. And that hurts.

And P ****ing S: end the ESPN monopoly on college football. They have proven their ability to ruin anything they touch with their incessant hype and staged studio "debates". The NFL is great because I never have to tune into the "Worldwide Leader" to know what's going on.

Sorry. I'm soured.

oudavid1
1/15/2012, 01:37 PM
6 NFL wild card teams have won a Super Bowl- that's it. And more of those have been recently because free agency has allowed the NFL to master parity. Which is why it is a purer, more satisfying form of football entertainment than college football. Not withstanding the fact that the actual football played is 10 times better (for obvious reasons). The point is- don't compare the NFL playoffs to what a college playoff would be. It's absolute apples and oranges. But it doesn't mean college football shouldn't have a playoff.

I started this thread 5 years ago, when I was a staunch opponent to a playoff in college football. I just knew that those pining for a playoff should put their money where their mouth was. And I was right.

However, I am now in favor of a 16 team playoff because I know the game (and the fans) have evolved. ALL arguments against a playoff are hollow.

- the bowl system as it was (the "tradition") was lost 20 years ago. It's a farce and nothing but a tourism ploy now. Tampa can figure out another way to attract tourism dollars for the week between Christmas and New Years without screwing over and holding college football hostage.
-exams don't mean ****
-home games take care of the first round. And, yes, schools can figure out the logistics. OU can plug a non-conference hole it its schedule in 4 months but can't fit in a 1st round playoff game? Give me a break.
- Fans traveling? Most teams have more than 40,000 fans each. I'll hit the semifinal, my rich friend Phil will take in the final and I'll watch it on TV (and the ratings will be through the roof BTW). The games will sell-out. That's the dumbest argument of all.

The powers that be should pull their heads out of their collective asses. The NFL treats me right. College? Not so much anymore. And that hurts.

And P ****ing S: end the ESPN monopoly on college football. They have proven their ability to ruin anything they touch with their incessant hype and staged studio "debates". The NFL is great because I never have to tune into the "Worldwide Leader" to know what's going on.

Sorry. I'm soured.

Alabama was the best team this year. New England was the best team in 2007. May be opinions, but they are good enough for me. I dont want OSU getting hot at the right time and winning a title because they got the easy side of the bracket. If you want Butler in the national title, cool. I would take Bama/LSU any day. You have to be great to win it all. Unlike college basketball.

bluedogok
1/15/2012, 01:55 PM
I don't think a 16 team playoff will ever make it through the NCAA leadership, I do think a 4 team playoff + bowl games will be what the future holds. The schools that hold up the move to a complete playoff system are the ones that know they have a snowballs chance in hell of making a 16 team playoff. They like the bowl games because it helps them, not making a playoff doesn't. Why do you think the basketball tournament grew to 66 teams? It was to pacify the smaller schools who have no realistic shot at winning the title and there are a whole lot more of them (in both basketball and football) than there are teams that would make an 8-team NCAA tournament like it used to be. A 4 team playoff could be doable because it could occur on the same schedule they have now, a 16 team would bump into finals at most schools and that is the (public) excuse most school presidents use to be against a lengthy playoff when in fact they favor the bowls so even the little guys can get some exposure.

Scott D
1/15/2012, 02:09 PM

Sorry. I'm soured.

As things sit right now, the only avenue to your beloved Playoff idea is through ESPN. Now that I've given you a moment to let that tidbit sink in, here is why it's an even worse idea than the status quo.

ESPN is attempting to wrestle control of D-1A football from those who have it now, and monopolize it. So I guess if you really want a playoff at any cost, have fun with ESPN basically controlling how many teams, who gets in, when they'll play, etc....

When that happens, everything that makes D-1A college football magical will be dead.

Even if the BCS decides to try a +1 format starting in 2014 (which I doubt), it'll only take the wrong conference being ticked off at being left out for things to go back to the Pre-BCS era.

Plus not to mention why does everyone forget that the BCS is only geared to match up #1 v #2. Everything else is just window dressing.

OUInformant
1/15/2012, 02:11 PM
For the sake of efficiency, the +1 system is probably all we need. Very rarely have I seen more than 4 teams who deserved to play for a national title in any given year. This year, the +1 format would have worked out quite well. In this format, I would let the top 2 teams play the first game at home, and play the title game at a neutral site.

The 8-team tournament is more intriguing to me, but it is probably not necessary. In this format, I would let the top 4 seeds play their first round game at home, the higher seed of the two teams in each semi-final game play at home, and the title game be played on a neutral site. The winner of the title game would have to win 3 tournament games, so I would eliminate conference championship games across the board. I would probably lower the number of regular season games to 11 for each team as well, though this may not be necessary if we don't have conference title games.

IMO, a 16-team playoff is unnecessary.

I would use the BCS to determine the top 4 or 8 teams. I would keep the rule in place that only two teams from any given conference can get into the tournament.

Scott D
1/15/2012, 02:15 PM
Half the time you rarely see 4 teams that deserve a shot. It can't go both ways.

BigTip
1/15/2012, 02:42 PM
. This year, the +1 format would have worked out quite well. .

I don't think it would have. Who would have played in the +1?

I agree that normally the +1 would work. A lot of times it hasn't even been needed though. I don't think it would work to structure a "if needed" game, but that's really what would be required.

BigTip
1/15/2012, 02:43 PM
. This year, the +1 format would have worked out quite well. .

I don't think it would have. Who would have played in the +1?

I agree that normally the +1 would work. A lot of times it hasn't even been needed though. I don't think it would work to structure a "if needed" game, but that's really what would be required.

stoopified
1/15/2012, 02:56 PM
How will a playoff system help oSu?Once every twenty years they would qualify......maybe.

StoopTroup
1/15/2012, 07:57 PM
Half the time you rarely see 4 teams that deserve a shot. It can't go both ways.

Yep. There are just going to be years where a "Meh" Team is going to be named National Champion. It happened this year and now everyone is anxious to force change that will end up with a Team that actually deserves to be National Champion by forcing them to play some +1 Teams that maybe shouldn't be in it that year or a 10-16 Team Playoff that has folks not caring whether they win all their games and sitting out players late in the Season so they can be ready for the playoffs.

There's no real answers. People think they have one but as soon as it's on paper or the internet...it's torn to shreds by the same people who would love to think there is a possible answer to picking a True Champion. Fans need to accept that there just isn't going to be a true Champion some years and if you are a Boise St., TCU or oSu you should schedule tougher Teams in your Non Conference Schedule if you want to be taken seriously when your Team in 11-1 and just lost a game to ISU or worse. Those Non-Con Games make the difference in your BCS points and get you into MNC Games sometimes. Then if you beat an undefeated LSU you do win the MNC but only your School really thinks you are the National Champion. You really need to win out with a tough Schedule to be considered a true National Champion. It's why you see OU always claiming 7 and not 22 like Alabama or some other School. Which I know you know Scott....just trying to expand on it all.

8timechamps
1/15/2012, 11:37 PM
There will be a playoff system within the next 2 to 3 years (it'll start with a plus-one...which is still a playoff), then move to 4, 8, and on. The BCS tells everyone that a playoff would kill the bowls, which is laughable. If anything, a playoff system will keep them afloat.

8timechamps
1/15/2012, 11:38 PM
Yep. There are just going to be years where a "Meh" Team is going to be named National Champion. It happened this year and now everyone is anxious to force change that will end up with a Team that actually deserves to be National Champion by forcing them to play some +1 Teams that maybe shouldn't be in it that year or a 10-16 Team Playoff that has folks not caring whether they win all their games and sitting out players late in the Season so they can be ready for the playoffs.

There's no real answers. People think they have one but as soon as it's on paper or the internet...it's torn to shreds by the same people who would love to think there is a possible answer to picking a True Champion. Fans need to accept that there just isn't going to be a true Champion some years and if you are a Boise St., TCU or oSu you should schedule tougher Teams in your Non Conference Schedule if you want to be taken seriously when your Team in 11-1 and just lost a game to ISU or worse. Those Non-Con Games make the difference in your BCS points and get you into MNC Games sometimes. Then if you beat an undefeated LSU you do win the MNC but only your School really thinks you are the National Champion. You really need to win out with a tough Schedule to be considered a true National Champion. It's why you see OU always claiming 7 and not 22 like Alabama or some other School. Which I know you know Scott....just trying to expand on it all.

There is an answer, it's playoffs. You'll see soon my friend.

Scott D
1/16/2012, 01:11 AM
you'll see a pre-bcs system again before you'll see a playoff...unless everyone is that eager to capitulate to ESPN and let them control CFB

8timechamps
1/16/2012, 07:30 PM
you'll see a pre-bcs system again before you'll see a playoff...unless everyone is that eager to capitulate to ESPN and let them control CFB

Which is worse, ESPN controlling football or a small group of men with the same financially agenda as ESPN (the BCS)? I get what you're saying Scott, but it's time to move out of this archaic system and play it out on the field.

Scott D
1/16/2012, 10:11 PM
Which is worse, ESPN controlling football or a small group of men with the same financially agenda as ESPN (the BCS)? I get what you're saying Scott, but it's time to move out of this archaic system and play it out on the field.

The problem with the playoff push is that if the push gets strong enough and playoff fans manage to **** off the wrong people (ie...Bob Delaney and Larry Scott) you end up in a pre BCS situation where we're back to the way things were and Alabama will be able to claim every other MNC and so will USC.

8timechamps
1/17/2012, 01:45 AM
The problem with the playoff push is that if the push gets strong enough and playoff fans manage to **** off the wrong people (ie...Bob Delaney and Larry Scott) you end up in a pre BCS situation where we're back to the way things were and Alabama will be able to claim every other MNC and so will USC.

That's actually a point I hadn't heard before now. And, a valid one. I just hope eventually someone (it's going to have to be one or more school presidents) stands up and says **** the BCS! Until then, I'll hold my breath...