PDA

View Full Version : Apologies from a Marine Mom (me)

soonerloyal
12/12/2006, 07:40 AM
A Marine Mom's Apologies

I'm not here to discuss whether or not we should be in Iraq - it's been covered ad nauseum, and really quite beside the point right now. I'm here to comment on the people who are doing the fighting for America, and how they are often perceived here at home.

I'm writing to you because I'm absolutely incensed. I'm shaking so hard I can barely type. But I owe some people an apology...and here's why:

A customer standing in front of me in the convenience store this morning was chatting with the clerk. As I waited to pay for my soda, I heard the clerk say something about Iraq. Being the mother of two Marines who served in Iraq, my ears immediately tuned in just in time to hear the customer say "Marines!" He made a disgusted noise and continued, "Of course they're guilty! Why should we bother wasting our tax money on a trial for any of those murderers? They've been killing babies since Vietnam. They need to fry them right now and just disband the Marines! They're violent - Neanderthals dressed up in uniforms. If they were intelligent, they'd be in college, or have real jobs - not out slaughtering innocent people for fun. The whole military is full of nothing but animals. They're occupiers, fighting an illegal war, anyway."

It is here that I must say to you all, that I'm sorry. I'm sorry I didn't handle it better.

I'm sorry, frankly, that I didn't punch the son of a b****. That would have been more natural. After all, my sons are "Neanderthals in uniform". They must get it from me.

I spend part of my time online with other Marine Moms and Dads. We are bound together by the Red and Gold colors of the United States Marine Corps. Our own red stands for the heartblood of mothers of warriors, and the shining gold exemplifies our sons and daughters' selfless service to an entire nation. We have an eclectic yet tightly-knit community. We are Conservative and Liberal, from both blue states and red; we don't always see eye to eye on things political and spiritual. Yet always, our bond of love, pride and gratitude for our loved ones and what they sacrifice is strong and unshakeable. I owe this remarkable group that I love so much my second apology. I let you all down. I'm sure you guys & gals would have been better at handling the situation than I was.

I know two certain Gunnery Sergeants who helped guide my sons into the Corps. To me, they are the epitomy of truly outstanding Marines. They've always been kind to me even when I might not have deserved it, took time to help when others might have been impatient. They know that I'm often too emotional. But they also know that I'm truly honored to be a peripheral part of this great Marine Corps Family. So to you, dear Gunnys D and H - my third apology; for letting you down, not "sucking it up and carrying on". I know you would have handled it much more smoothly.

It's to my sons, and all the Marines Past, Present and Future that I owe my fourth apology. I'm sorry, Marines. I know you could have taken the whole situation in stride. You would have turned to your training and been able to ignore the whole tirade. You probably would have even laughed yourselves sick at that man's sheer gall.

But it was in that line at the store that I uttered my first apology. It was directed to the man who stood in front of me, carelessly speaking against my sons and all the Marines I hold so dearly in my heart.The apology was also directed to the rest of the Americans who do not believe in the heroes that have given everything they have to give for the country and people they love so much.

"I'm sorry." "What?" he said. I repeated "I'm sorry". He looked at me with a puzzled expression. I shook my head as I said, "I'm sorry you feel the way you do about Marines. I have two Marine sons." His expression began to turn into...what, I'm still not sure, but it looked too closely like the start of a contemptuous sneer for my liking. My voice started to shake. "It doesn't even occur to you does it, that our Marines have done nothing wrong - they just do their job. You think they're guilty of murder just because they're MARINES." His mouth started to move, but I put up my hand and stopped him before he could talk. "I don't know why you said what you just said, or why you feel the way you do - but I know one thing. My sons and every Marine I personally know has more intelligence, honor, courage and decency than you'll develop over your whole miserable, unimportant life." By this time I am ashamed to say, I've totally lost my bearing. Tears are pouring down my face. I said thickly, "There's more worth inside the sorriest Marine than there is in the man standing in front of me right now." He started to say something, but again I interrupted. "Your level of sheer ignorance about the Marine Corps make me sad. The fact that better men than you could ever be, have died so you could stand here and talk about them is even sadder. But the saddest thing about you is...you're not even smart enough to know just how right I am. I'm so, so sorry for you."

There was absolute silence in that store. I know everyone was staring at me like I'd just grown three heads and wings. Hell, maybe I had. I rubbed my eyes and turned to what I hoped was the door, blinded by tears of frustration and pent-up rage. Like the coward a Marine is not, I fled to my car. I ended up leaving without the damned soda I came to buy. I don't even know if I set it down, or it ended up on the store's floor in a huge mess. So I failed not just the people who expect me to behave better than that man in the store, I failed to even accomplish the tiny mission I set out on. This whole morning just sucked. Good Lord.

Maybe it's human nature to believe in guilt before examination, rather than innocence - maybe it's too easy for some to think the worst of people they don't even know. Personally, I find it easier to think the best of someone before I think the worst. Our Dogs of War have given everything for the sheep they love so much. And what do some give them in return? Betrayal. Betrayal from the media who hide behind them in order to keep the right to speak out against them. Betrayal from many of the American people who seem to believe that when the military trains for war, they lose their humanity. That somehow, known terrorists get a pass for deliberate slaughter of innocents, but certain young & heroic Americans are branded guilty before they are tried in courts of law - found guilty by a public who won't show even a shadow of thankfulness for the freedoms these same men afford us all. Hell, sadly enough they are often condemned by politicians who seize the chance to denigrate them...all to further their own agendas and careers.

What's happened to our society that our bravest young men and women are branded as animals - and yet terrorists get sympathy? Have you people lost your minds? Our warriors deserve our trust and confidence. They've earned it. Don't think so? That's your right, I know. It's also my right to think you are drowning in bull.

Our sons and daughters, our fellow Americans who serve do their jobs voluntarily. They are not forced or coerced to do so. We could not keep the free society we have if it were not for men and women who selflessly make the choice to serve. But now we could be facing a problem seldom seen in this country - a possible lack of willingness to put oneself on the line. Not by the idea that certain wars might be just or unjust. But by the perception among the ranks that when push comes to shove, they will be hung out to dry for political gain by their own leaders. Or worse, that they might be judged by their fellow Americans to be unworthy of thanks and support, no matter what they face, or where they fight.

I've decided I can learn a thing or three from people like that man, perhaps in a way I never would have envisioned when I first fell apart in that tiny Stop-n-Rob 'Em. First, I can usually count on people who are least worthy of our freedoms to be the most careless when applying them. Second, it's not a good idea for me to leave my house at 0630 with no coffee beforehand. And third...I'm never going to understand some people and their embrace of ignorance and hatred, no matter how long I live. It is my fervent wish never to do so.

Carry on, America. Whatever you decide about wars and those who fight them, you're still safe and comfy here at home to make those decisions. You aren't out there facing what these troops have faced. And you presume to know enough to condemn them for what you cannot possibly imagine? I'd say you should be ashamed, but I wonder if some people even are capable of feeling that emotion anymore. Meanwhile, some of the best and brightest of America are defending you so you won't have to do it yourselves. Why? Some days, I really don't know the answer. And then I realize that they are all heroes simply because they do it - whether we deserve it or not. And this is our reward to them?

To the man I met in the store this morning - I hope someday you fully know the shadow you've cast on your own soul. May God forgive you. I don't know that I can so quickly as He.

And to our troops - thank you all for having our backs. I'm truly sorry so many Americans have stabbed you in yours.

Lori H.

"In the end more than they wanted freedom, they wanted security. When the Athenians finally wanted not to give to society but for society to give to them, when the freedom they wished for was freedom from responsibility, then Athens ceased to be free." — Edward Gibbon

...LH (soonerloyal)

Tiptonsooner
12/12/2006, 08:14 AM
You handled that much more gracefully than I would have. Thank you for the read and especially for your sons. Hold your head high...

Sooner in Tampa
12/12/2006, 08:20 AM
Semper Fi to you and your sons.

May God bless you all.

VeeJay
12/12/2006, 08:21 AM
Mom - kudos to you.

I would tend to think that person you encountered represents a very, very small percentage of our population. That person is ignorant and a fool. There aren't many places on our planet where he'd be free to spout such nonsense.

It is sickening. For every one of those, there are thousands who feel differently and appreciate your kids' loyalty and service.

Okla-homey
12/12/2006, 08:50 AM
I'm sorry that happened to you. There are idiots in the world. Fortunately for this idiot, he sleeps under a blanket of security provided by our magnificent young men and women in uniform. God bless and Semper Fidelis.

usmc-sooner
12/12/2006, 09:47 AM
the few, the proud, the Neanderthals

just tell him we're Uncle Sam's Misguided Children and not Neanderthals

also don't let these idiots get you going, you've got more important stuff to worry about, than what some idiot thinks.

sanantoniosooner
12/12/2006, 09:50 AM
[B]A Marine Mom's Apologies

Lori H.

...LH (soonerloyal)
What other places have you posted this?

It's very familiar.

SoonerInKCMO
12/12/2006, 09:56 AM
It's very familiar.

It is indeed.

sanantoniosooner
12/12/2006, 09:57 AM
It is indeed.
I'm just curious.

These things make the rounds and I was wondering where else she has posted it.

OklahomaTuba
12/12/2006, 10:01 AM
Half-wits like this don't deserve your tears. Let them live in their fantasy land where all things can be blamed on the evil military and America. Let their hate consume them, they deserve that and nothing else.

Its pretty fair to say these drooling retards will always blame America, and our service men and women. Ironic since it is those very people who sacrifice it all to give them the brainless bottom feeders the freedom to slander and defame them when given a chance.

Hate and bigotry is alive and well in the minds of these people.

Okla-homey
12/12/2006, 10:02 AM
FWIW, a quick check at snopes.com didn't turn anything up.

jk the sooner fan
12/12/2006, 10:02 AM
well, since the door is opened

i got this in an email a year or so ago...

Okla-homey
12/12/2006, 10:06 AM
SO pwn3d!

sanantoniosooner
12/12/2006, 10:23 AM
I wasn't accusing or anything.

I was just curious about where she might have posted it originally.

Chuck Bao
12/12/2006, 10:49 AM
The sentiments expressed here are still there, as far as I'm concerned.

On a separate issue, I do think that one can speak fairly freely in the vast majority of countries in the world today regardless of how stupid and ill-informed one may be, well as long as it is isn't libelous.

soonerloyal
12/12/2006, 11:10 AM
Uh, jk, I call bullshat on your claim. Gentlemen, I'd LOVE to see the email you got a year ago, because I wrote this AND posted the Marine Moms Online Forum & the Grit's Board on the DAY it happened. http://forums.grunt.com/forums/thread/195677.aspx. A Marine posted it for me on Together We Served, and a few Marine Moms have posted it on their sites as well, with my blessing (and hopefully per my request) and my name.

I have written several pieces from the perspective of being a Marine Mom, because a) I have two Marine sons, b) I'm a part-time writer, and c) because this s*** really happens.

A few years ago, I wrote a piece called "Reel Heroes, Real Heroes" and sent it to Sgt. Hook. It got posted/linked on his site & sites like Blackhawk and other blogs. I also wrote another piece called Two Seeds about an injured Marine vs. a civilian making fun of him. They were all well-received for the most part; got some doves pretty ****ed. http://phoenixrising.typepad.com/weblog/2004/04/mandatory_readi.html

Look - I ALWAYS sign what I write, because I put my money where my mouth is, and I expect to take the heat. I didn't post this with the thought you'd think it was BS or old hat Urban Legend. Geez, from fellow Sooner fans, this crapola...sheesh.

You don't think I wrote it, I don't really care. I usually share what I write with people whose opinions matter to me. If you like what I write, fine. If not, good too. Either way, I hope to make the both of us THINK.

Lori Holman, ALWAYS PROUD, NEVER Pwned

jk the sooner fan
12/12/2006, 11:13 AM
loyal......i did 21 years in the army, my oldest son is an infantryman at fort riley, preparing for his first tour in iraq

i dont keep emails from over a year ago, but i got it....i'm not the only one here who has seen this before......i never said you didnt write it, i simply said i've seen it before

perhaps somebody you sent it too put it thru the email channels and thats how i got it

fadada1
12/12/2006, 11:16 AM
good for you.

the best way to approach this mess in iraq, imo - "you don't have to support the war, but you damn well better support the men and women that are fighting."

Miko
12/12/2006, 11:31 AM
Illigitimi non carborundum!

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/5715/libha7.jpg

fadada1
12/12/2006, 11:33 AM
Illigitimi non carborundum!

http://img157.imageshack.us/img157/5715/libha7.jpg
exactly. don't let the dirty bastards get you down.

SoonerStormchaser
12/12/2006, 11:38 AM
All I'm gonna say is this:

As an Air Force officer, the son of two Air Force officers, the brother of an enlisted Airman, the grandson of an Air Force officer, the grandson of a Naval officer, that man is damned lucky I wasn't standing behind him.

Spek to you Soonerloyal...for having the guts (or quoting someone who had the guts) to tell that ignorant bastard what the rest of the Cindy Sheehans of the world need to hear. God Bless.

Osce0la
12/12/2006, 12:05 PM
I have a friend in the Marines (I also have 2 uncles that were Marines)...My friend's mom would've knocked the guy right the **** OUT...Right there in front of everyone...

C&CDean
12/12/2006, 12:10 PM
You showed restraint in allowing him to finish his initial insult.

And I have to admit that I'm jealous of the support our troops get these days. Back in the day when I was in (74-77) it wasn't fashionable, cool, or anything else good to be in the military. Morale was at an all-time low. Many of the guys in my unit who had been in Vietnam were pretty much shells of their former selves, and were treated like **** anywhere they went (including the VA hospital/s).

I thank Ronald Reagan for the night/day improvement in the moral and respect of our military. God bless him, and God bless our troops and their leaders.