PDA

View Full Version : Does Oklahoma care??

boomrsoonr
12/11/2006, 08:03 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/6262228

Does Oklahoma care?

By Pete Fiutak
Here's a chance for Bob Stoops and the Oklahoma coaching staff to show that they care about their players and their futures above anything else.

Tell Adrian Peterson, "Thank you, enjoy the view from the sideline, and start getting ready for the NFL combine."

How much would future recruits respect Stoops and truly believe he has their best interests at heart? Would you let your kid risk $25 million for one game that, when all is said and done, doesn't really matter?

I understand how players work their tails off while dreaming of playing in bowl games. I understand how desperately Peterson wants to help out the team he's been a cheerleader for ever since breaking his collarbone against Iowa State.

But Oklahoma isn't playing in the national championship, or even the Big 12 title game, in which case it would then be more than understandable for Peterson to come back to play. The Fiesta Bowl against Boise State is nothing more than a glorified exhibition game, and certainly isn't worth jeopardizing this great kid's future.

What if he blows out a knee like Willis McGahee in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl? What if he breaks his leg like Michael Bush in the season-opener against Kentucky? We're talking about a top-10 pick in next year's draft, and possibly No. 2 behind Brady Quinn, and he's going to risk it against Boise freakin' State?! (Actually, I'd make the same case for Quinn.) Don't believe the garbage that some NFL scouts want to see Peterson play once more. Peterson is a multi-millionaire next year at this time.

Reggie Bush signed for $51 million for six years with $26.2 million guaranteed. Will Stoops or the Oklahoma coaches and fans repay the lost revenue if Peterson gets hurt and slides down the first round, like McGahee? Yeah, right.

It's Peterson's place to say he wants to play and nothing can keep him off the field. It's up to the adults to do what's best for him and his family.

ClintonSooner
12/11/2006, 08:07 PM
act like a collerbone is a career ending injury...not to be an arse, but his bone should be ok IMO

Pepper
12/11/2006, 08:12 PM
Let Peterson decide. It's his future and last I checked he's and adult too. The fans including me want to see him break Billy Sims' record. The tone of this article sounds a little bit on the anti-Stoops side- just looking for some 'what if' to rip Stoops.

boomrsoonr
12/11/2006, 08:16 PM
Let Peterson decide. It's his future and last I checked he's and adult too. The fans including me want to see him break Billy Sims' record. The tone of this article sounds a little bit on the anti-Stoops side- just looking for some 'what if' to rip Stoops.

But you know that if something does happen (God forbid), then all the heat will be on Stoops.

Remember in the early part of this season when people on this site were griping about him being in there in the 4th quarter?

tator
12/11/2006, 08:16 PM
I believe he was cleared to pay in the CCG, but they decided to give it some more time to make sure. Correct?

He's gonna play again eventually, he's plenty healed.

sooner_born_1960
12/11/2006, 08:17 PM
Yes, every football player, as soon as he realizes he will probably be drafted early in the NFL draft, should immediately stop playing collegiate football.
Now where the hell is that roll eyes thingie.

franklinjake
12/11/2006, 08:18 PM
Maybe this writer just wants our big weapon out because he is rooting for Boise State or hates our Sooners?

shavedmarmoset
12/11/2006, 08:19 PM
What is this guy on drugs? No coach can tell Superman what to do.

soonerboomer93
12/11/2006, 08:20 PM
It's AD's decision whether or not to play.

Besides, I don't recall seeing or reading anything at all where AD has stated his going pro after this season

AlbqSooner
12/11/2006, 08:24 PM
Following Pete Fiutak's logic we should have benched him after his freshman year. He had proven to the NFL scouts what kind of talent he had. Just let him continue to work out and wait out the mandatory three years from HS graduation.

Oh wait, if we had done that, FoxSports, Fiutak's employer would undoubtedly have lost some ad revenue. Now since they are not broadcasting the Fiesta Bowl it is okay to take this position.

MamaMia
12/11/2006, 08:24 PM
If I were Adrian's mother I would want more than one physicians opinion about the possible repercussions. It would be nice if he could safely play, but the others should be allowed to play as well.

bluedogok
12/11/2006, 08:31 PM
Lets all stay on the couch to avoid possible injury, I guess whoever has a chance to go pro should sit out these bowl games because they might get hurt :rolleyes:

What a moron, put away the keyboard and get your pacifier out. Maybe he should quit typing because he might develop carpel tunnel syndrome (wait a minute, that might be doing the world a favor). Morons like him need to go hide behind their mommas skirts.

Stuff like this always reminds me of a quote from the movie Dust to Glory by the wife of Johnny Campbell (many times Baja 1000 motorcycle winner). She has a scene in the movie where she said that people ask her if she is afraid of something happening to him during the race, she says something to the effect that other than the fact that it is how they make a living and she goes on to say that as soon as she tells him not to do it then he will get killed commuting on the 405. When it is your time it is your time.

Oh wait, if we had done that, FoxSports, Fiutak's employer would undoubtedly have lost some ad revenue. Now since they are not broadcasting the Fiesta Bowl it is okay to take this position.Umm....FOX is broadcasting all BCS games except for the Rose Bowl, you know tradition dictates that they must be on ABC.

SoonerGM
12/11/2006, 08:35 PM
this guys attitude is why he writes about competitive sports instead of participating in them. the bottom line is, he just doest get it.

DrZaius
12/11/2006, 08:44 PM
The way I look at it if any of those idiots cared about what the kids did on the field there would be about 45 rule changes. The minute that a kid plays and puts his life/career/just being able to walk when he gets older on the line for a $20,000.00 per year scholarship, he should be able to make up his own mind. If the trainer says that he is good to go then he should go if he wants to.

goingoneight
12/11/2006, 08:48 PM
I'm still not sold that we won't use AD as a decoy like we did all year long in play-action. If we light them up early, AD sits, whether he wants to or not. If we get raped, AD stays in until we know it is out of hand or until we find some continuity. He's not gonna be an every down back in this game.

sooner518
12/11/2006, 08:51 PM
Fiutak is a complete ******rocket. There arent many sportswriters I cant stand(him and Mariotti), but he is definitely one of them after his retarded argument about the OU-UO game and subsequent emails to me which made absolutely no sense.

franklinjake
12/11/2006, 08:52 PM
If I were Adrian's mother I would want more than one physicians opinion about the possible repercussions. It would be nice if he could safely play, but the others should be allowed to play as well.

Not trying to be rude, but Play Safely? You can't guarantee to any player playing any position that they can play football safely.

Repurcussions? Well, you are talking about a football player, AD or any other runningback, running full speed down field at the defense, with the defense running full speed at you, which of course creates violent hits several times a game. If football depended on mothers emotions of doctors stating the obvious of the possibilities of injuries from violent hits, we wouldn't have football in America. You can have concussions (sp), broken bones, paralysis, torn muscles/ligaments, etc. Oh, did I mention this can happen to any player playing any position? Maybe mothers of Herschel Walker, Barry Sanders, Walter Peyton and other great backs should never have let their sons play football because of "said injury possibilities".

franklinjake
12/11/2006, 08:54 PM
Yes, every football player, as soon as he realizes he will probably be drafted early in the NFL draft, should immediately stop playing collegiate football.
Maybe we should ban football in its entirety because any player playing any position could get hurt?

bluedogok
12/11/2006, 09:03 PM
I get into this talking to people about riding a motorcycle, there is a guy that I know of whose wife died when she lost her balance unloading the minivan and hit her head on the curb, she was in her her early 30's.

Anything can happen at anytime, if he wants to play and is medically cleared then he should play. It is as simple as that.

MamaMia
12/11/2006, 09:07 PM
Not trying to be rude, but Play Safely? You can't guarantee to any player playing any position that they can play football safely.

Repurcussions? Well, you are talking about a football player, AD or any other runningback, running full speed down field at the defense, with the defense running full speed at you, which of course creates violent hits several times a game. If football depended on mothers emotions of doctors stating the obvious of the possibilities of injuries from violent hits, we wouldn't have football in America. You can have concussions (sp), broken bones, paralysis, torn muscles/ligaments, etc. Oh, did I mention this can happen to any player playing any position? Maybe mothers of Herschel Walker, Barry Sanders, Walter Peyton and other great backs should never have let their sons play football because of "said injury possibilities". I don't mean to be rude, but first lay off the mothers. Fathers care about their kids as well. By "play safely" I was referring to Adrian being able to play in the Fiesta Bowl without re injuring the collarbone and impeding the healing process of this particular injury. I would hope that any responsible parent would want to hear that from more than one physician, as I'm sure they did if he can in fact play.

Did you really think that I thought mothers should walk into doctors offices asking if its possible that their football playing kids could ever get hurt playing ball? :rolleyes:

KingDavid
12/11/2006, 09:13 PM
Can someone get us a link where we can blast this idiot? I couldn't find a feed-back link. What a bone-head.

usmc-sooner
12/11/2006, 09:35 PM

Repurcussions? Well, you are talking about a football player, AD or any other runningback, running full speed down field at the defense, with the defense running full speed at you, which of course creates violent hits several times a game. If football depended on mothers emotions of doctors stating the obvious of the possibilities of injuries from violent hits, we wouldn't have football in America. You can have concussions (sp), broken bones, paralysis, torn muscles/ligaments, etc. Oh, did I mention this can happen to any player playing any position? Maybe mothers of Herschel Walker, Barry Sanders, Walter Peyton and other great backs should never have let their sons play football because of "said injury possibilities".

I think you didn't quite get what she was saying

Octavian
12/11/2006, 09:36 PM
feed-back is exactly what he wants....don't feed the troll.

As for the article...

The Fiesta Bowl doesn't mean anything? I guarantee if we lose to Boise St., it'll mean a WHOLE lot.

As for recruiting, wouldn't hoisting another BCS trophy on national tv help us? Recruits would be more impressed with Adrian tearing it up and OU rolling than watching Adrian sign autographs in street clothes.

Coaches should bench players once they know they're going pro? Fabulous plan......Though, it may be safer for coaches to install rubber rooms for all 5-star recruits and never let them play or leave said rubber rooms....since playing 'em would be jeopardizing their future fortunes.

Well reasoned article supported by the sort of logic we've come to expect from the CFN staff. Well done, Pete.

Texas Golfer
12/11/2006, 09:45 PM
With this moron's logic, all seniors who have NFL dreams should be forbidden to suit up for bowl games.

Okieflyer
12/11/2006, 09:46 PM
I guess everyone that might be drafted shouldn't play in bowl games. I think we have about 5 or 6 starters that fit that bill. Maybe Troy Smith shouldn't play in the National Championship game. It is just a game.

IronSooner
12/11/2006, 10:15 PM
What he leaves out is that Willis McGahee took out a gigantic insurance policy just before playing in that Fiesta Bowl. Smart move, no doubt. He was then drafted in the 1st round, became a starter in Buffalo, and is now a millionaire.

Peterson will play. Good luck holding him out. He's an adult, he knows the stakes, he knows the situation. Getting some insurance before doing so certainly wouldn't hurt.

badger
12/11/2006, 10:19 PM
money comes and goes. the rushing record at ou, however, is something worth more than money. with three heisman winners to compete against, it would be a true mark of a sooner legend to surpass these greats.

so, say that AD should go to the nfl if you want, but college football lasts but four years (or six if your name is Jason White), injuries happen (especially if you're Jason White), but this record is something that only one player can hold--- why not AD, after all he's done for OU?

HE DESERVES THE RECORD!!! LET HIM BREAK IT!!!!

OUfan7
12/11/2006, 10:35 PM
This guy makes about as much sense as me not going to work since i'm going to retire one of these day's!!!

Big Red Ron
12/11/2006, 10:36 PM
This guy's gonna sheet when AD comes back to OU for his senior year.

badger
12/11/2006, 11:11 PM
if ad comes back, he can take out insurance like that bushy dude did.

Ash
12/12/2006, 12:18 AM
Lets all stay on the couch to avoid possible injury,

Bed sores man!

:eek:

shoulder injuries happen in football, it's not like he blew out a knee or something...anybody who knows football knows that...it won't affect what NFL teams think about him

I'm paraphrasing of course, but that's essentially what he said on his radio show when asked about AD. Don't know about you guys, but I'd trust the King over Fiuckt.

Big Red Ron
12/12/2006, 12:23 AM
if ad comes back, he can take out insurance like that bushy dude did.I've heard he's had one for almost two years now.

Sooner98
12/12/2006, 12:35 AM
Where are the calls for Brady Quinn, or Jamarcus Russell, or (insert one of hundreds of other players' names here) to not play the bowl game, and get ready for the combine? Sheesh.

Wishboned
12/12/2006, 07:37 AM
I don't think that if the doctors have cleared him that there's any way you could stop AD from playing.

I don't believe for a second that AD is all about the money. He's a fierce competitor and he wants to get out there ad play.

Has this guy seen AD on the sideline? You can tell it was killing him not being out on that field.

BIG_IKE
12/12/2006, 08:10 AM
IF Playing against Boise State is gonna jeopardize his career then he does not need to be in the NFL. Same can be said about playing in NFL Pre-Season games. Should they sit him out then? NO. And they won't, in fact, as a rookie he'll get more reps than vets.

Football players play football....anything else is...well, uncivilized. This is an irrelevant discussion.

TUSooner
12/12/2006, 09:28 AM
Fiutak's philosophy: "Today is meaningless."
Words not to live by.
If the guy wants to play, let him play!
Fiutak is especially a wuss to suggest something so utterly stupid as "If AD plays, it shows Bob doesn't care about his players. Holy effing shibpt, Pete. AD is already skipping a whoile year of college (we all assume). Maybe he should have skipped college ball altogether after he showed he was good in his freshman year.
Fiutak = bewb.

TripleOption14
12/12/2006, 09:38 AM
money comes and goes.

This is exactly why leaving maybe his best option. One's gotta grab it while its there. I think helping out of family would come first over OU records. Just my two pennies though.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/12/2006, 09:59 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/6262228

Does Oklahoma care?

By Pete Fiutak
Here's a chance for Bob Stoops and the Oklahoma coaching staff to show that they care about their players and their futures above anything else.

Tell Adrian Peterson, "Thank you, enjoy the view from the sideline, and start getting ready for the NFL combine."

How much would future recruits respect Stoops and truly believe he has their best interests at heart? Would you let your kid risk $25 million for one game that, when all is said and done, doesn't really matter?

I understand how players work their tails off while dreaming of playing in bowl games. I understand how desperately Peterson wants to help out the team he's been a cheerleader for ever since breaking his collarbone against Iowa State.

But Oklahoma isn't playing in the national championship, or even the Big 12 title game, in which case it would then be more than understandable for Peterson to come back to play. The Fiesta Bowl against Boise State is nothing more than a glorified exhibition game, and certainly isn't worth jeopardizing this great kid's future.

What if he blows out a knee like Willis McGahee in the 2003 Fiesta Bowl? What if he breaks his leg like Michael Bush in the season-opener against Kentucky? We're talking about a top-10 pick in next year's draft, and possibly No. 2 behind Brady Quinn, and he's going to risk it against Boise freakin' State?! (Actually, I'd make the same case for Quinn.) Don't believe the garbage that some NFL scouts want to see Peterson play once more. Peterson is a multi-millionaire next year at this time.

Reggie Bush signed for $51 million for six years with $26.2 million guaranteed. Will Stoops or the Oklahoma coaches and fans repay the lost revenue if Peterson gets hurt and slides down the first round, like McGahee? Yeah, right.

It's Peterson's place to say he wants to play and nothing can keep him off the field. It's up to the adults to do what's best for him and his family.

Wow! What a great piece of writing. If I were Fox sports I'd tell Fiutak to stop writing articles for them right now so he doesn't get writers cramp or carpel tunnel and to save all his energy on writing a Pulitzer Prize book to be read by the adoring masses. :rolleyes:

Really I think AD will be fine. It isn't like he is playing after having his 3rd or 4th concussion. He has been cleared by a doctor to play.

budbarrybob
12/12/2006, 10:08 AM

wurd :mad:

bluedogok
12/12/2006, 10:20 AM
Can someone get us a link where we can blast this idiot? I couldn't find a feed-back link. What a bone-head.
When I see articles by toads like this it always reminds me of the Toby Keith song "The Critic" where they get validation by the hate mail they get. Just change out the musician references for sports references and it is the same.

The Critic

Tell it like it is

He gets up real early on his mornin' drive
Down to the office for his 9 to 5
He drives a 94' two tone economy car
Loves to tell the local bands down at the bar
That he's the critic, yeah I can hook you up
I know everybody in the business

He flunked junior high band he couldn't march in time
He tried to write a song once, but he couldn't make it rhyme
He learned 2 or 3 chords on a pawn shop guitar
He just never quite had what it took to be a star
So he's a critic I work for the gazette man
I got a real job

He did a 5 star column on a band you never heard
He did a bluegrass review without an unkind word
He thought it was time to ask his boss for a raise
His boss said I can't even tell if anybody's even readin' your page
yeah

So he thought and he thought a little more
He caught a young hot star headed into town
Then he hid behind his typewriter and gunned the boy down
Here come the letters, the emails, the he faxes
They raised him to 20 thousand dollars after taxes
He's a happy critic yeah
He's rollin' in the dough
Man I could do this forever
This is easy
They're all readin' my column
Please don't tell my mama
That I write the music column for the gazette
She still thinks, that I play piano down at the cathouse

click
here for the rest (http://www.sing365.com/music/lyric.nsf/The-Critic-lyrics-Toby-Keith/D22D66FE9421F6B548256DE3000F699F)

Blues1
12/12/2006, 10:28 AM
AD PLAYS -- and Boise State Takes out some insurance --- :)

"Take out some Insurance on me baby" - Jimmy Reed -
1961 Veejay records --- ;)
Now thats Rockin'

tbl
12/12/2006, 10:30 AM
So.... any player that is going to the NFL that is NOT playing the national championship should sit out their bowl game?

Does Notre Dame care? Mean old Catholics...

mxATVracer10
12/12/2006, 10:40 AM
This guy makes about as much sense as me not going to work since i'm going to retire one of these day's!!!

now THIS type of thinking I can live with :D

csbst2
12/12/2006, 11:16 AM
The article by Pete Fiutak just shows what a simple minded human he is. I guess coaches should hold hands and not listen to doctors. I mean according to him, after AP's first injury he should have just stood on the sidelines and never played another down in college football. Please find better writers to fill your pages, because this guy has no clue what he is writing about. And where the hell does he get off saying the game doesn't really matter. You tell that to the two teams that have worked their butts off to get there, that it I quote "really doesn't matter". You have got some nerve to say that and I think you owe all those players an apology for that low class comment. It may not be the championship, but I would bet those guys are not saying " well this game doesn't matter so who cares". Maybe next time you will write with your head and not your backside.

Stoop Dawg
12/12/2006, 12:12 PM
Does Pete know that his nick name is "AD" - as opposed to "AD-EWIDM" (All Day - Except When It Doesn't Matter)?

Stoop Dawg
12/12/2006, 12:14 PM
So.... any player that is going to the NFL that is NOT playing the national championship should sit out their bowl game?

Does Notre Dame care? Mean old Catholics...

Why doesn't Charlie care about Brady?

RacerX
12/12/2006, 01:01 PM
There's a Jenni Carlson story in here somewhere and it involves a talking collarbone.

jwlynn64
12/12/2006, 01:19 PM
Hey Peter, go Fiutak yourself!!! ;)

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/12/2006, 03:23 PM
What's the payout for the game? 10-12 Million? more? I submit that the game matters and actually Fiutak's article is what doesn't matter.

I hope the dude gets offered the Bama job....

poke4christ
12/12/2006, 03:34 PM
This is just stupid. AD should sit out his last chance to play Colege football? And in a BCS game at that? BS. AD will play. Book it. Not to mention that Boise will probably make him look even better.

TUSooner
12/12/2006, 03:41 PM
I just wanted to say I regret having nothing original to add to this excellent thread.

:)

Easting
12/12/2006, 03:55 PM
How does this guy have Quinn drafted before Peterson?

ANY team with first pick would take Peterson.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/12/2006, 03:59 PM
I have possible theories about this guy.

1. He is a Potato Aggie fan that doesn't want AD to deep fry their defense.

2. He is an Arizona Cardinals fan and doesn't want a potential draft pick to get hurt.

3. He is a draftnik that sits around his house and tosses salad to the soothing sounds of Mel Kiper.

I'm just not sure which he is yet.

Sooner_Bob
12/12/2006, 06:25 PM
I wonder if he's purchased an insurance policy yet . . .

tator
12/12/2006, 07:02 PM
money comes and goes.

mine just goes. i haven't had the pleasure of the other half yet ;)

Bruiser53
12/12/2006, 07:03 PM
Hey, this just in-

BCS games don't matter except for the national championship:rolleyes:

What a joke

Texas Golfer
12/12/2006, 07:10 PM
How does this guy have Quinn drafted before Peterson?

ANY team with first pick would take Peterson.

This guy proves that everyone is entitled to their ridiculous opinions.

franklinjake
12/12/2006, 08:51 PM
I think you didn't quite get what she was saying
Probably not..... who knows, maybe we will get the ultimate Christmas present and AD come back for one more year! Stranger things have happened!

franklinjake
12/12/2006, 08:52 PM
I don't mean to be rude, but first lay off the mothers. Fathers care about their kids as well. By "play safely" I was referring to Adrian being able to play in the Fiesta Bowl without re injuring the collarbone and impeding the healing process of this particular injury. I would hope that any responsible parent would want to hear that from more than one physician, as I'm sure they did if he can in fact play.

Did you really think that I thought mothers should walk into doctors offices asking if its possible that their football playing kids could ever get hurt playing ball? :rolleyes:

Good point, read your post wrong -----

TXBOOMER
12/12/2006, 09:37 PM
This guy is a jackhole. If AD wants to play, AD should play. We'll beat Boise with him or without him.

MamaMia
12/12/2006, 10:21 PM
Good point, read your post wrong -----Oh, thats okay. Sometimes I dont understand myself. :P

stoopified
12/13/2006, 12:12 AM
Let Peterson decide. It's his future and last I checked he's and adult too. The fans including me want to see him break Billy Sims' record. The tone of this article sounds a little bit on the anti-Stoops side- just looking for some 'what if' to rip Stoops.Amen

noobalicious
12/13/2006, 03:10 AM
This news just in...apparently new studies revealed football is a contact sport, and healthy people can get injured when they play it.

Jason White's Third Knee
12/13/2006, 09:06 AM
What's the deal with him saying that the Fiesta Bowl is a glorified exhibition game? ALL BOWLS are glorified exhibition games.... even the BCS NC.

soonerlaw
12/13/2006, 10:03 AM
Reggie Bush signed for $51 million for six years with $26.2 million guaranteed.

He should stop playing in the NFL as well, since he's got $26.2 guaranteed. On that note, AD should just stop going to class as well. I wish I would have done that... stopped going to class when I found out I got into lawschool.

boomrsoonr
12/14/2006, 05:40 PM
What's the deal with him saying that the Fiesta Bowl is a glorified exhibition game? ALL BOWLS are glorified exhibition games.... even the BCS NC.

Well, I think he meant THIS Fiesta Bowl with OU vs. Boise State is an exhibition game. ;)

MiccoMacey
12/14/2006, 05:48 PM
So...according to him, all players who have NFL potential should stay out of all bowl games so as not to jeopardize their possible NFL careers.

That'd ensure a playoff real quick like, when all the bowl sponsors pull out,

jwlynn64
12/14/2006, 06:18 PM
Just don't understand the thought process of not playing if you are able. If I buy a new car, do I still drive my old one because I might get into an accident?

Adrian is 100% ready according to what I hope are qualified doctors.

"Mr. Peterson, here are your pads. Please suit up and go kick some arse!"

MiccoMacey
12/14/2006, 06:29 PM
So....let's say he goes out there and breaks his wrist.

Does this make the pundits correct? Or are they only talking about re-injuring the collar bone?

8timechamps
12/14/2006, 08:47 PM
Since when did people (namely the press) become so concerned about players jumping from college early? Seriously, think about it. Wasn't it just a few years ago that they were the same morons screaming "a college education is important!". Is it really selfish for Stoops, and Sooner fans to want AD to stay another year? Or, is it selfish to want AD to leave so that soom knob can pick him up on his fantasy team? I mean what is this really about? Ask yourself "why do people really want AD to leave?"...I'm sure it's for his best interest....right? NOPE!

AD should do what AD wants to do. That's the bottom line. If he leaves, then yes, I agree that Stoops and fans should say "Thanks AD for 3 years, and all you've given us to be proud of. We hope you do well!" BUT, if he stays and something does happen to hurt his NFL stock, then it shouldn't be reflected on Stoops or anyone else. But, as we all know, it would be.

the_ouskull
12/15/2006, 08:44 AM
I don't recall seeing or reading anything at all where AD has stated his going pro after this season

I've never seen anything that told me not to kill someone either. Some things people just "know."

the_ouskull

Jason White's Third Knee
12/15/2006, 09:39 AM
I've never seen anything that told me not to kill someone either. Some things people just "know."

the_ouskull

Figures that you've never heard of the 10 commandments. Heretic!

Anyway, didn't MOST of us play football for pride? I did. I played for my school, my family, town, and my team. AD still thinks that way even though it there is risk. Very noble. The kid has character.

nBoSTP
12/15/2006, 01:22 PM
I say let him play. I am sure he has to have some type of insurance policy in case he doesn't make the NFL.

ashley
12/15/2006, 01:40 PM
Does this mean that all pro prospects need to sit out the game.

CrimsonChampion
12/15/2006, 02:02 PM
It's sad that sportswriters like this are able to voice their opinions to a large audience, they are just bad for sports. It's Peterson's college career that he'll only get to experience once. It's the FIESTA BOWL, a BCS bowl, not a meaningless bowl. This guy is looking for dramatic things to talk about to get your casual sportsfan all worked up. If AD didn't want to play, he wouldn't be pressured into playing. However, he does want to play, and the coaches are standing behind him and his overall decision.

And for anyone to say Boise St. is a pushover, well maybe. They are gonna bring everything they have plus some because this is probably the biggest game in their programs history. I also looked at their depth chart, they have huge O-linemen, and are close to as big as us at other positions, not to mention an older team than us. We are stronger and faster and SHOULD win this game, I think we'll win it by 40 but I'm just saying, it's no pushover.

OklahomaRed
12/15/2006, 02:34 PM
Not only all pro-prospects, but all seniors should go ahead and sit out the game, too. Why risk the potential injury in a exhibition game that doesn't mean anything to the rest of your life?

Get a grip. Either he's ready or he's not. Play to win, or go ahead and go pro right out of High School.

Jason White's Third Knee
12/18/2006, 08:15 AM
"It's bowl season, it's bowl season!

By Pete Fiutak ([email protected])
1. It's time for the fun games. It's time to see teams you haven't gotten a chance to see all season long. It's a chance for college football again before we dive into the edge of sports abyss as we wait out January and February to get to the college basketball that matters.

Oh sure, it'll be tough for you to get all jacked up for the New Mexico Bowl with the Lobos playing San Jose State. You're going to have a hard time convincing the wife that you can't go to her office Christmas party because you have to watch Rice play Troy in something called the R&L Carriers New Orleans Bowl. But don't let the national talking heads ruin your fun.

They'll tell you there are too many bowls. They'll mock and ridicule the bowl names (O.K., they have a point there). They'll tell you these are silly and meaningless games.

Compared to what?

The NBA doesn't matter until April. The NHL is irrelevant. All that matters in college basketball is the tournament. The NFL, if you don't have a fantasy team or don't "invest" is good to pass the time, but you're a college football fan. These games do matter, and they're all worth enjoying."

Here's Pete's new article saying that even the little bowl games matter. A direct contridiction of his remarks last week. What an *******.

Tear Down This Wall
12/18/2006, 11:36 AM
Does Fiutak have a brain?

By Tear Down This Wall
Here's a chance for Pete Fiutak and The Sporting News editorial staff to show that they care about their readers and their intellect above anything else.

Tell Pete Fiutak, "Thank you, enjoy the view from your couch during bowl season, and start getting ready those job interviews with McDonald's and Jack In The Box."

How much would future burger flippers respect The Sporting News and truly believe they has their best interests at heart? Would you let your village idiot of a writer risk the company's reputation for one more article that, when all is said and done, doesn't really matter?

I understand how sports "journalists" work their private parts off while surfing for porn in between their creative writing assigments that they disguise as "journalism." I understand how desperately Fiutak wants to help out the publication he's been a writer for ever since breaking his thingy in a Jessica Simpson yahoo search back in October.

But The Sporting News isn't competing for Pulizter Prizes, or even the regional high school journalism awards banquet; in neither case would it be understandable for Fiutak to come back to write anyway. The college bowl season is nothing more than a few dozen glorified exhibition games, and certainly isn't worth jeopardizing this great future burger flipper's future.

What if he blows out an elbow on a Brittany Spears google image search? What if he breaks his wrist trying to find doctored nudes of Barbara Walters on altavista? We're talking about a top-10 future burger flipper, and possibly No. 2 behind Berry Tramel, and he's going to risk it by continuing to produce "journalism" pieces during the bowl season?! (Actually, I'd make the same case for Tramel.) Don't believe the garbage that some hamburger franchise scouts want to see Fiutak write once more. Fiutak is a multi-million burger flipper next year at this time.

Some publisher paid tens of thousands of dollars for Jayson Blair to write a book that no one read after his fraudulent "journalism" was caught by The New York Times back in 2004. Will Fiutak or the The Sporting New editors repay McDonald's or Burger King lost revenue if Fiutak gets hurt "researching" for future absurd bowl articles? Yeah, right.

It's Fiutak's place to say he wants to "write" and nothing can keep him off the adult search engines. It's up to the editors to do what's best for him the future billions and billions served at McDonald's.

mightysooner
12/18/2006, 08:45 PM
Wow....somebody really needed something to write about. I don't think recruits are going to think negatively of our program for allowing AD to play in the Fiesta Bowl in his final collegiate game. I think most athletes would want to play in that game.