PDA

View Full Version : Capel one of the top 5 coaches under 40

Boomer.....
12/11/2006, 03:19 PM
http://sportsillustrated.cnn.com/2006/writers/cory_mccartney/12/11/fast.break/index.html

Youth Movement In Full Swing
It's icons such as Bobby Knight, Mike Krzyzewski and Lute Olsen that define the game, but youth is taking over the sidelines. While Florida's Billy Donovan, 41, has become the poster child for the youth infusion, he's an old man compared to IPFW's Dane Fife, who at 26 is the youngest coach in Division I. The MTV generation is making its presence felt in the coaching ranks, so here's a rundown of the top 10 coaches under 40:

1) Thad Matta, 39, Ohio State. The seventh-year coach (above), who was also the head man at Butler and Xavier, is 156-50 and has made it to the NCAA tournament in five of his six seasons (Ohio State was ineligible for the postseason in 2004-05), including an Elite Eight run with Xavier in 2004. He also gets major props for a ridiculous recruiting class that includes Greg Oden.

2) Mark Fox, 37, Nevada. He continues to be one of the hottest names in the game. Fox turned down the Nebraska job last summer and received a raise and extension from Nevada. In his third season with the Wolf Pack, Fox is 59-14 with a pair of NCAA tournament appearances under his belt and is widely considered one of the game's brightest minds.

3) Scott Sutton, 35, Oral Roberts. Often compared to Kansas coach Bill Self, who brought Sutton on as an assistant at ORU, Sutton has won 102 games since the start of the 2001-02 season and is coming off a the Golden Eagles' first NCAA appearance since 1984. It's just a matter of time before he joins his brother, Sean in the major-conference coaching ranks.

4) Jeff Capel, 31, Oklahoma. The former Duke standout has emerged as a rising star, landing the Oklahoma job after a four-year stint at Virginia Commonwealth, during which he went 79-41. He stresses unity and hardwork (sound's a little Krzyzewski-esque) and should be in Norman for the long haul.

5) Mick Cronin, 35, Cincinnati. Regarded as one of the nation's up-and-coming coaches and a top-notch recruiter, he enters his first year in the Queen City after leading Murray State to two NCAA tournament appearances in three seasons. He compiled a 69-24 mark with the Racers and his 28 first-year wins were the fifth-most in NCAA history for a rookie coach.

6) Sean Miller, 38, Xavier. Matta's former right-hand man at Xavier is 45-25 in his third season -- and has a resume that not many can touch. Besides being the first associate head coach in Xavier history under Matta, he was also Herb Sendek's lead assistant at NC State. Don't be surprised if he ends up at a top-tier program soon.

7) Sean Sutton, 38, Oklahoma State. Here's what we know: Sutton is undefeated as Oklahoma State's coach (11-0), he learned from one of the greatest coaches of all-time, his father Eddie, participating in more than 500 games as an Oklahoma State player and a coach in 14 years. The verdict is still out on Sean, but he looks well-schooled to be an elite coach.

8) Dave Calloway, 38, Monmouth. Calloway's official Web site calls him one of the best young coaches on the East Coast. He is, and he's earned it. In his ninth season in West Long Branch, N.J., he won his 100th game last January and led the Hawks on their third trip to the Big Dance in six seasons, during which Monmouth has piled up 112 victories.

9) John Pelphrey, 36, South Alabama. He went 36-48 in his first three seasons, never going above .500, but last year he turned a 10-win team into 24-victory squad which received an NCAA bid. That earned Pelphrey overtures from Ole Miss and Nebraska. He played under Rick Pitino at Kentucky and was once the hot assistant du jour under Donovan in Florida.

10) Will Brown, 35, Albany. In his sixth season with the Great Danes, Brown is 53-83, but he's coming off a 20-11 campaign that included the America East Conference regular season and tourney titles and the school's first NCAA berth. Before coming to Albany, he spent three years at Sullivan County CC (N.Y.), going 90-10. He also has a sweet Web site.

King Crimson
12/11/2006, 03:27 PM
dang, Thad Matta looks older than 39. he also kind of looks like Norm Stewart.

NormanPride
12/11/2006, 04:00 PM
31. Wow. badger and I were commenting the other day about how he HAD to be older than that. :eek:

I certainly hope he's all he's billed to be...

#1-Erin-Higgins-Fan
12/11/2006, 04:02 PM
31. Wow. badger and I were commenting the other day about how he HAD to be older than that. :eek:

I certainly hope he's all he's billed to be...
He is. :cool:

tommieharris91
12/11/2006, 04:05 PM
Didn't Dane Fife play against OU the last time we made the Final Four?

poke4christ
12/12/2006, 04:07 PM
Not much reason for Sean or Capel being on this list. It's really too early to say. However, I guess if they dont guess early they won't be under 40 hugh? :D

Not to bash OU, but I just don't see how they can rank Capel above Sean. OSU is now 11-0 with wins over Missouri State and Syracuse in New York. Anyway, congrats to capel. It's nice for him to get some pup.

King Crimson
12/12/2006, 04:13 PM
Not to bash OU, but I just don't see how they can rank Capel above Sean. OSU is now 11-0 with wins over Missouri State and Syracuse in New York. Anyway, congrats to capel. It's nice for him to get some pup.

Capel made the NCAA tournament at VCU.

poke4christ
12/12/2006, 04:20 PM
Capel made the NCAA tournament at VCU.

Good point.