PDA

View Full Version : With a W in the column by the OU/UO game

MamaMia
12/11/2006, 02:46 PM
Would I be too crimson to believe that the Sooners would have been seriously considered as the 1 loss team to play in the National Championship game?

This reporter seems to think that our loss to Texas did us in, with or without the Oregon scandal.

http://www.oregonlive.com/sports/oregonian/john_canzano/index.ssf?/base/sports/1165722907158380.xml&coll=7

achiro
12/11/2006, 02:59 PM
If you are ok with the "no rematch" thing and IF Arkansas had been able to pull off a win against FL then I would say that we should be there for sure. With Fl winning then they really should be there though.

tator
12/11/2006, 03:08 PM
I love how the writer groups all OU fans together. As if all of us harassed Riese for the last 3 months.

tommieharris91
12/11/2006, 03:09 PM
In the NC game? I doubt it. A split championship between OU and Florida could have been possible, though.

Edit: After reading the article, the Pac-10 is starting to look as shady as Gordy. If what is in this article is true, then Gordon Riese should come out and throw his conference under the bus.

Boomer.....
12/11/2006, 03:17 PM
I doubt we would have went to the MNC, but we would be in the discussion and making another excuse of why we need a playoff system.

SoonerInKCMO
12/11/2006, 03:50 PM
No chance we go to the BCS title game if the only thing changed in our season is the outcome of the Oregon game. The computer ratings were far too low.

Jason White's Third Knee
12/11/2006, 04:02 PM
I don't complain about the OU UO game. I just throat punch anyone that says it's a loss.

Blitzkrieg
12/11/2006, 04:15 PM
My Gordon Riese voodoo doll is about worn out anyway.

I'll rip it's head off and burn it since this reporter guy says I need to "let it go."

MarylandSooner
12/11/2006, 04:30 PM
I do not know about anyone else but if do not get screwed at UO we win that Texas game. I think the shorthorn game would have been a very different game for us had we been undefeated.

yur-out
12/11/2006, 04:34 PM
since this reporter guy says I need to "let it go."

Definition of irony: A reporter that writes about an event that is 82 days old and says "let it go".

aero
12/11/2006, 08:02 PM
It really doesn't matter if we had made it to the NC or if we had lost every other game. What happened in Oregon was cheating. Nothing else. And yes, anyone who likes college football should have been offended. Threats against Riese were uncalled for but it certainly wasn't by the majority of OU fans because the phone lines would still be tied up and many servers still crashed. And what is there to show for all of this? Not much. The Pac10 got exposed for what was already common knowledge in the college coaching ranks, they threw one small ref to the wolves, swept it all under the rug, divert the issue with stories of how terrible Oklahomans are. Let it all fade away and back to business as usual.

franklinjake
12/11/2006, 08:28 PM
The writer is an idiot. USC was getting hyped for the championship game and was basically guaranteed a Championship game until the loss to UCLA. They were a 1 loss team to that point, to Oregon State.

If Gordon Reise wouldn't have fixed the Oregon game, we would be a one loss team to Texas.

We had one loss to Texas, who is a better team than Oregon State, which was USC's one loss. Therefore, if USC was guaranteed in the Championship game with a loss to Oregon State, we should have leap frogged them for the Championship game against Ohio State, since our one loss against Texas was a better team than the one loss for USC against Oregon State. Make sense?

soonermeteor
12/11/2006, 11:29 PM
the writer probably listed the only threats the ref got..... it doesn't matter what school it was that got screwed, there are always crazies out there and to slam OU is disgusting.

AUGUSTUS-CAESAR
12/12/2006, 12:28 AM
If our only loss was to Texas we still aren't in the NC game because Texas turned out to be not as good as people thought -- thus we wouldn't have gotten the love from the polls that we would have needed to put us in the NC game.

Next year another story: Beat BS soundly in the Fiesta, start out next season near the top, then go undefeated and stay at the top. ;)

SleestakSooner
12/12/2006, 01:33 AM
http://johncanzano.blogs.oregonlive.com/

This is his blog from the day after the above column came out. This writer really outta come visit Norman some day real soon. I think we can find a dark alley to meet him in ;)

soonerloyal
12/12/2006, 08:14 AM
Funny how even after you sign up, one's ability to leave a comment on the article is "disabled".

Apparently he can whine, but we can't call him on it.

Texas Golfer
12/12/2006, 08:42 AM
No chance we go to the BCS title game if the only thing changed in our season is the outcome of the Oregon game. The computer ratings were far too low.

I won't say "no chance" but I agree that the likelihood of us playing for the title would be extremely thin seeing as we were so far down the polls and not moving up swiftly.

Before we even played a game we dropped in the preseason poll from #5 to #10. After we played and won the first game, we dropped another 5 spots to #15. Even after we started the winning streak, after we beat ranked teams on three consecutive weekends, we only moved up one spot after each win.

We basically got no respect this year. All of the pollsters agreed that we should be considered a one-loss team but their votes displayed their hypocrisy.

So, basically, we'd be right where we are: The Big XII Champs playing Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl. But we'd probably be around #4 rather than #8 in the human polls and #10 in the BCS poll.

franklinjake
12/12/2006, 08:57 PM
If our only loss was to Texas we still aren't in the NC game because Texas turned out to be not as good as people thought -- thus we wouldn't have gotten the love from the polls that we would have needed to put us in the NC game.

Next year another story: Beat BS soundly in the Fiesta, start out next season near the top, then go undefeated and stay at the top. ;)

Yeah but our one loss team Texas still had a better season than Oregon State, which if USC was basically guaranteed a NC game then we should have been considered over them, correct? Just trying to find the method behind the madness of the BCS

AUGUSTUS-CAESAR
12/12/2006, 09:10 PM
Yeah but our one loss team Texas still had a better season than Oregon State, which if USC was basically guaranteed a NC game then we should have been considered over them, correct? Just trying to find the method behind the madness of the BCS

Well...there's the rub: there is no method to the BCS. IMO
Besides that USC is one of the media darlings, they and Notre Dame are always gonna get more love -- from pollsters, media, powers that be, etc...Just one more reason to hate the both of them...along with the Whorns of course!

shelley45
12/13/2006, 01:04 AM
I don't complain about the OU UO game. I just throat punch anyone that says it's a loss.
It's a loss get over it!

BASSooner
12/13/2006, 02:26 AM
It's a loss get over it!
im not complaining. we're in a BCS bowl.

FourKings
12/13/2006, 08:52 AM
I won't say "no chance" but I agree that the likelihood of us playing for the title would be extremely thin seeing as we were so far down the polls and not moving up swiftly.

Before we even played a game we dropped in the preseason poll from #5 to #10. After we played and won the first game, we dropped another 5 spots to #15. Even after we started the winning streak, after we beat ranked teams on three consecutive weekends, we only moved up one spot after each win.

We basically got no respect this year. All of the pollsters agreed that we should be considered a one-loss team but their votes displayed their hypocrisy.

So, basically, we'd be right where we are: The Big XII Champs playing Boise State in the Fiesta Bowl. But we'd probably be around #4 rather than #8 in the human polls and #10 in the BCS poll.

Agreed.....not a bad season all things considered