PDA

View Full Version : Believing in Santa

TopDaugIn2000
12/11/2006, 10:03 AM
My oldest niece (who's 9) told her mother that everyone at school was making fun of her because she still believes in Santa. So her mom said "he's real if you believe he is" and then the niece told her it's not nice to lie to your kids. lol

crawfish
12/11/2006, 10:22 AM
I had to tell my 11-year-old just last week. I think he pretty much knew we were Santa, but he wasn't ready to question it until now. My 9-year-old is already questioning it: he asks "are you santa", and I just reply "do I look that fat to you?" with a :stunned: look on my face. :)

crawfish
12/11/2006, 10:24 AM
BTW - it's my policy to not "lie" to the kids about it. I simply deflect the question when asked, like above. A lot of their classmates still believe.

When they present the question in a way that doesn't allow me wiggle room, I tell 'em. That usually means they're ready to know.

Mjcpr
12/11/2006, 10:28 AM
When they present the question in a way that doesn't allow me wiggle room, I tell 'em. That usually means they're smarter than me.

You said he was 11, right?

TopDaugIn2000
12/11/2006, 10:31 AM
when I was little I asked my (much older) brother how the toothfairy got into and out of my room. He said "she can disappear". Ok....he knew everything.

So not long after that mom was having trouble with me because I was working ALL of my teeth loose, just to get more money, I had worked the front EIGHT loose and none were coming in yet (this was before I started Kindergarten!). So mom decided it was time to tell me the truth, so I'd stop pulling my teeth. So she said "TD2K, I'm the toothfairy". and I said "then disappear". she was "what? I can't". And I said "then you aren't the toothfairy".

crawfish
12/11/2006, 10:39 AM
You said he was 11, right?

That's why I don't let him post...I don't wanna be the SECOND smartest poster here. ;)

BeetDigger
12/11/2006, 10:51 AM
My brother always tells his kids that if you don't believe in Santa, he doesn't bring you anything. He tells them that he may not be a jolly old fat man but that he exists in spirit. His kids are 17 and 14 and completely understand what he is saying. I am planning on saying the same thing to my kids when they ask.

The 8 year old already questioned her mother, thanks to the kids next door. I sure wish their dad would follow through on his bragging statements that he is going to move into "one of those million dollar neighborhoods where the people have made it in life." Good riddance.

Partial Qualifier
12/11/2006, 11:13 AM
Lying to your kids about a make-believe fat guy wearing a clown suit. Oh, the Joy of Christmas.

Mjcpr
12/11/2006, 11:15 AM
Lying to your kids about a make-believe fat guy wearing a clown suit. Oh, the Joy of Christmas.

Grandma-in-law?

BeetDigger
12/11/2006, 12:52 PM

It's the essence of the spirit, not the image that has been created. Now, for some, wallowing in self-pity is more the spirit of the season. To those, I say "Happy Holidays" and may it be Christmas all year round for you.

soonersweetie
12/11/2006, 01:27 PM
I still believe in Santa, therefore so do my kids. My daughter just turned 12 today and she still believes in Santa. I don't know if she has figured out exactly how the presents get under the tree yet. They still visit Santa every year and tell them what they want. I always pay close attention to what they tell him so they can have at least one gift they specifically ask for under the tree.

I think they do understand though it is the spirit of Christmas and the giving that's important. They already get more excited about getting gifts for others than they do opening their own.

Widescreen
12/11/2006, 01:33 PM
My oldest niece (who's 9) told her mother that everyone at school was making fun of her because she still believes in Santa.
That's really the only reason we homeschool our kids. So they won't learn the truth about Santa. ;)

crawfish
12/11/2006, 02:40 PM

Shut up and watch Office Space, you bastard.

sooneron
12/11/2006, 02:45 PM
It was a domino effect for me when I was 7, first it was the Easter bunny, which makes no frigging sense, and then I moved on to santa. This was mostly due to the rough neighborhood that I grew up in back in Houston.

Partial Qualifier
12/11/2006, 02:51 PM
Shut up and watch Office Space, you bastard.

:D

Vaevictis
12/11/2006, 02:54 PM
I knew by the time I was 7. That doesn't mean my parents knew I knew though ;)

What kind of idiot would risk losing the loot train?!

SicEmBaylor
12/11/2006, 03:07 PM
Well, we still do "santa gifts" on Christmas regardless of the existence of Santa.

I stopped with the Santa thing when I had trouble reconciling how Santa received his funding and made a profit from giving so many presents away.

Ike
12/11/2006, 03:23 PM
Well, we still do "santa gifts" on Christmas regardless of the existence of Santa.

I stopped with the Santa thing when I had trouble reconciling how Santa received his funding and made a profit from giving so many presents away.

Santa operates in a Gift Economy (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gift_economy)