PDA

View Full Version : Scottish school goes Old School

william_brasky
12/11/2006, 09:54 AM
I like it.

School shuns tech, teaches fountain pen

In this age of cell phones, text messages and computer keyboards, one Scottish school has returned to basics. It's teaching youngsters the neglected art of writing with a fountain pen.

There is no clacking of keyboards in most classrooms at the Mary Erskine and Stewart's Melville Junior School, although there is a full range of facilities for computer lessons and technology isn't being ignored.

But the private school's principal believes the old-fashioned pens have helped boost the academic performance and self-esteem of his 1,200 pupils.

"The pens improve the quality of work because they force the children to take care, and better work improves self-esteem," principal Bryan Lewis said. "Proper handwriting is as relevant today as it ever has been."

Students as young as 7 have been instructed to forgo their ball point pens and get to grips with its more artful predecessor. By the time they reach grade five, at age 9, they are expected to write mainly with fountain pens.

At an English class recently, students worked at perfecting a skill that is under threat from the onset of e-mail — the art of writing a letter by hand. Each child's work was meticulous and clearly presented in the upright, graceful strokes of a fountain pen.

Ten-year-old Cailean Gall has been using fountain pens in class for two years. It took the keen soccer player one month to master the pen and, like all pupils at the school, still has regular handwriting lessons.

"At the start it was hard because I kept smudging, but you get used to it," he said. "I still have to use a pencil for maths, and now I find it strange using the pencils. I like it because it makes me concentrate much more on my work."

Cailean now uses his fountain pen even for non-school work, but classmate Katie Walker, 11, prefers to use ball point and pencil when not in class.

"I use it for schoolwork and homework only," she said. "It is quite easy using a fountain pen once you're used to it. My parents say it's improved my work enormously."

The children learn a handwriting style developed by teachers at the school, which charges $12,500 a year. New teachers are also put through a course on how to write with pens — as well as refresher courses on literacy and numeracy — before they are let loose in classes.

Lewis said the school's 7- and 8-year-olds use fountain pens for 80 percent to 90 percent of their work, reverting to pencils for such subjects as math.

"I don't see fountain pens as old-fashioned or outmoded. Modern fountain pens are beautiful to use; it's not like in the old days of broken nibs and smudging," Lewis said. "We have a particular writing style and we have developed it very carefully and found a way that allows left- and right-handed people to write without smudging."

Parent Susan Garlick supports the school and believes the use of fountain pens has improved the work of her daughter Elisabeth, an 11-year-old in grade 7.

"Her handwriting is beautiful," Garlick said.

Some people in wealthy nations argue that handwriting is becoming less important because of the growing use of cell phone text messaging and typing on computers, but the school disagrees.

In August, for example, examiners at the Scottish Qualifications Agency complained they had difficulty deciphering the scrawl of many students on exam papers used to determine admission to universities.

"We talk of the paperless office and the paperless world, but this is not true," Lewis said. "You still need to have proper handwriting skills."

crawfish
12/11/2006, 10:25 AM
Handwriting, schmandwriting.

tbl
12/11/2006, 10:31 AM
Exactly... DUMB.

sooner_born_1960
12/11/2006, 10:32 AM
Old School, Schmold School. They should be using stone tablets.

GottaHavePride
12/11/2006, 12:14 PM
I agree with them. Not only that, but the internet innstant messaging stuff means people can't even spell freakin' words correctly. Next thing you know they'll be translating the classics for people that can't read English.

"It was teh best of t1m3z, lolzorz, j00 got pwn3d."

TUSooner
12/11/2006, 12:17 PM
Netness copunts!

NormanPride
12/11/2006, 12:17 PM
Maybe we can enroll doleo in something like this?

GottaHavePride
12/11/2006, 12:19 PM
Netness copunts!

OK, I'm totally not reading that second word as "counts". In fact, I'm reading all that as "neatness, c***s!"

:)

Frozen Sooner
12/11/2006, 12:40 PM
I agree with them. Not only that, but the internet innstant messaging stuff means people can't even spell freakin' words correctly. Next thing you know they'll be translating the classics for people that can't read English.

Sadly, this is true. You'd be disheartened to see some of the papers Supergirl grades. Rampant "lol"s and ":)"s.

Frozen Sooner
12/11/2006, 12:41 PM
OK, I'm totally not reading that second word as "counts". In fact, I'm reading all that as "neatness, c***s!"

:)

Strange. My brain seems to have no problem reading it as "copunts."

Which is what I think Knall and Cohen were doing all year. Copunting.

sooner_born_1960
12/11/2006, 01:00 PM
GHP, I'm not sure what you are agreeing with. Is it that using a fountain pen will make them better spellers? Just think how well they would spell if they went back a few hundred years and used a quill.

Czar Soonerov
12/11/2006, 01:04 PM

2 b o not 2 b, dat iz d :-Q.

Frozen Sooner
12/11/2006, 01:11 PM
On a related note:

Calculators are the devil. Supposed math classes that are nothing more than glorified learning to punch buttons classes make my blood boil.

Ike
12/11/2006, 01:46 PM
On a related note:

Calculators are the devil. Supposed math classes that are nothing more than glorified learning to punch buttons classes make my blood boil.

and we have a winner.

calculators don't belong in an educational setting.

you have no idea how often I see people multiplying and dividing by 10 using their calculators. Whats even funnier is when they get it wrong.

Frozen Sooner
12/11/2006, 01:55 PM
Well, I'll go so far as to say that a calculator is OK for a stats class, but in calculus? No freakin' way. As far as I'm concerned, 600,000(e^.048-1) is a perfectly legitimate answer to a problem and that solution actually allows the student to figure out where they messed up if they didn't get the same. The only thing you should be able to use a calculator for in calculus is to check the shape of your graph to make sure your answer makes sense.

Edit: I also use a fountain pen by preference. I prefer the feel of writing with it to a ballpoint.

proud gonzo
12/11/2006, 02:42 PM
do you have a link to the original story?

GottaHavePride
12/11/2006, 10:46 PM
GHP, I'm not sure what you are agreeing with. Is it that using a fountain pen will make them better spellers? Just think how well they would spell if they went back a few hundred years and used a quill.

It's not so much the fountain pen as it is that they're forcing them to write by hand. No spell-checker to catch mistakes.

And fountain pens are more dificult to write with - you have to go more slowly and REALLY know what you're going to write before you do it, because one slip and the whole page is screwed. Plus, penmanship IS getting ****tier - I've had to grade papers I could barely read. Using a fountain pen also means you can't jus scribble over a word and keep going - they don't work like that very well. they tend to tear up the paper. ;)

proud gonzo
12/11/2006, 10:49 PM
writing with a quill is basically the same thing as writing with a fountain pen, only you have to stop and dip it in ink over and over.

william_brasky
12/11/2006, 10:51 PM
do you have a link to the original story?

http://www.usatoday.com/tech/news/2006-12-11-pen-teaching_x.htm?csp=34

Mongo
12/11/2006, 11:00 PM
It drove me nuts when kids would turn in papers with their names chicken scratched in. The kid could tell you the Daily Oklahoman's Sports page verbatem, but ask him to turn a hand written paper in, you'd get a peice of Big Chief notebook paper smeared with dookie.

Billy_Baller
12/12/2006, 02:54 PM
The lowest grade I ever made in my life was a D- in fifth grade penmanship.