PDA

View Full Version : Just FYI I'm an idiot

OU-HSV
12/10/2006, 10:58 PM
I am officially feeling like an idiot. In my fantasy league, I've got Drew Brees and Peyton Manning as my QB's. Both were playing supposedly "tough" pass defenses today. I just knew if I left Brees on the bench tonight that he'd have a huge game. And...well for any of you watching...he did (is) having a huge game.
The really bad news is I'm #2 in my league...beating the #1 team by about 4 points right now. He has Deuce McAlister playing right now and Chicago's defense tomorrow night. I only have Wilkins kicking tomorrow night. If I beat the #1 guy, I will face a weaker opponent next week in the first round of our playoffs. Guess it's safe to say I screwed the pooch on this one.

tbl
12/10/2006, 11:12 PM
At least you didn't start Romo like I did...

Williesan
12/10/2006, 11:14 PM
Or Warrick Dunn over Maurice Jones-Drew like I did. :mad:

At least I had Mark Clayton, Tomlinson, Gates and the SD defense to bail me out this week. :D

Williesan

tommie15
12/10/2006, 11:16 PM
note to self...OU-HSV....is....an....idiot

close notepad

carry on

OUinFLA
12/10/2006, 11:27 PM
this would have made a dandy poll.
you could have put 1tc as the other choice and won it easily.

oh, wait, that's already been done. Perhaps you should go against Howzit.

goingoneight
12/10/2006, 11:35 PM
... and the rolling eyes at smug Reggie Bush shall continue...

Sooner13
12/10/2006, 11:36 PM
well if it makes you feel any better at all I too have both Peyton Manning and Brees and started Manning. In addition, I had maurice jones-drew on the bench also. Kind of a tough decision when I had travis henry and bush going instead.

TopDawg
12/11/2006, 12:14 AM
Well the main problem is that your league's playoffs didn't start this week. Or do you just have a 4-team playoff?

At any rate, my team had been struggling all year. Each of my first three draft picks (Alexander, Fitzgerald and Steve Smith) had spent multiple weeks out with injuries. Eli Manning and Hasselbeck were my QBs and when Hasselbeck went down with HIS injury, that's about the time Eli started stinking it up.

In addition to all that, in about 9 of the 13 games I played in, my opponent put up his highest or second-highest score of the year. I was able to keep my teams in it by making some great free agent moves (Jones-Drew, Colston-as a TE, Devery Henderson) and my late round draft picks of Gore and Maroney helped me out a lot, but I just could not win a game to save my life. I snuck into the playoffs just barely and this week I'm about to pull off the infamous 8-1 first round upset.

My team:

Eli Manning - went off (so did Hasselbeck)
Larry Fitz - 79 y & TD
Steve Smith - okay day
Devery Henderson - 90 y & TD
Frank Gore - 100+ and a TD
Alexander - bad day
Cooley - ok day
Jones-Drew - AWWWW YEAH!
Kaeding - 6 PAT, 2 FG
SD Defense - okay

My Opponent:

Garrard - maybe 1 point? (he had Delhomme)
Andre Johnson - no TD
Harrison - no TD
Torry Holt - we'll see
LT - 100 y & 3 TD
Kevin Jones - rec TD
Winslow - 3 points
Barber - nada
Akers - 3 PAT
Baltimore D - good day

He needs Holt to go off for about 5 TDs and 200 yards tomorrow night.

But stranger things have happened, so I'm leaving the champagne on ice for now.

TopDawg
12/11/2006, 12:15 AM
Oh, and thank you, Maroney, for being injured this week...cuz I would've started you over Jones-Drew.

bluedogok
12/11/2006, 12:16 AM
I am glad that I had the bye week this week as the winner of the regular season, my team would have sucked today.

SoonerGM
12/11/2006, 12:16 AM
well in your defense, who would have thought dallas would have had that kind of a meltdown tonight.

btw, i sure do hate reggie bush. youd think someone would try covering that jerk. but instead he just ends up looking like a hero.

bluedogok
12/11/2006, 12:17 AM
I so wanted Roy to smack him good one time.......

TopDawg
12/11/2006, 12:19 AM
In everybody's defense...it was a weird week all around. There were a lot of anomalies this week.

SoonerGM
12/11/2006, 12:43 AM
I so wanted Roy to smack him good one time.......

i just knew that he would... but now i am wondering... did Roy even get a tackle tonight??? :eek:

goingoneight
12/11/2006, 08:35 PM
New England gets shut out by Pro Aggy, Indy gets third straight loss, one to VY :eek:!!!, and Dallas gets taken to school by a team who rightfully deserved a second draft pick. Weird... but this too, shall pass.

Hello, T.O.???, Marion Barber??? (hate to say it, but) Roy??? You are much, much better than that. Seems like Reggie Bush kinda brings something with him that makes god teams collapse. I mean, the run was nice, but all he did was follow blocks, it's not like's he's Barry Sanders or anything...

SoonerGM
12/11/2006, 08:39 PM
thats what i am just failing to understand. i will give bush that he is pretty quick, but its like he doesnt have to be. on all his decent plays there is always a huge gaping hole for him, or multiple lead blockers. hes not making people miss, its more like nobody is defending him.

additionally, i think i would take maurice drew over bush any day.

bluedogok
12/11/2006, 08:40 PM
New England gets shut out by Pro Aggy, Indy gets third straight loss, one to VY :eek:!!!, and Dallas gets taken to school by a team who rightfully deserved a second draft pick. Weird... but this too, shall pass.
No it won't, there was a good statement by Keith Olberman when he was on with Dan Patrick today. He said the NFL won't be happy until every team ends up 8-8 and they have 37 coin flips to determine who gets in the playoffs. It almost seems like it is getting that bad.

jk the sooner fan
12/11/2006, 08:42 PM
dont ask me why, but i benched jones-drew over corey dillon, and had brees benched instead of carson palmer

i'm officially out of the playoffs with this loss

goingoneight
12/11/2006, 08:44 PM
It's a shame no one can block for AD or TRReggie like that. They just have to cut and dominate, you know, like REAL runners do.

OU-HSV
12/11/2006, 08:54 PM
Well the main problem is that your league's playoffs didn't start this week. Or do you just have a 4-team playoff?

At any rate, my team had been struggling all year. Each of my first three draft picks (Alexander, Fitzgerald and Steve Smith) had spent multiple weeks out with injuries. Eli Manning and Hasselbeck were my QBs and when Hasselbeck went down with HIS injury, that's about the time Eli started stinking it up.

In addition to all that, in about 9 of the 13 games I played in, my opponent put up his highest or second-highest score of the year. I was able to keep my teams in it by making some great free agent moves (Jones-Drew, Colston-as a TE, Devery Henderson) and my late round draft picks of Gore and Maroney helped me out a lot, but I just could not win a game to save my life. I snuck into the playoffs just barely and this week I'm about to pull off the infamous 8-1 first round upset.

My team:

Eli Manning - went off (so did Hasselbeck)
Larry Fitz - 79 y & TD
Steve Smith - okay day
Devery Henderson - 90 y & TD
Frank Gore - 100+ and a TD
Alexander - bad day
Cooley - ok day
Jones-Drew - AWWWW YEAH!
Kaeding - 6 PAT, 2 FG
SD Defense - okay

My Opponent:

Garrard - maybe 1 point? (he had Delhomme)
Andre Johnson - no TD
Harrison - no TD
Torry Holt - we'll see
LT - 100 y & 3 TD
Kevin Jones - rec TD
Winslow - 3 points
Barber - nada
Akers - 3 PAT
Baltimore D - good day

He needs Holt to go off for about 5 TDs and 200 yards tomorrow night.

But stranger things have happened, so I'm leaving the champagne on ice for now.
Heh. I have Colston as well, I left him on the bench because everything I read seemed pretty certain that he wouldn't play. So I used Antonio Bryant who everyone thought would have a huge game against the Green Bay Slackers...well he didn't.
So here's how my roster looked this weekend:
Starters were:
Peyton Manning
Reggie Wayne
Tiki Barber
Chad Johnson
Warrick Dunn
Antonio Bryant
Arizona's D/sp teams
& Jeff Wilkins tonight (my only hope)

On my bench:
Jerricho Cotchery
Kevin Jones
Wes Welker
Brandon Jacobs
Josh Brown
Jag D

So about the only thing I could have done to gaurantee my win is to have used Brees and benched Peyton.

As of now I'm down by 9.70 points and he's using Chicago's D while I'm using Wilkins. So I'm hoping for a high scoring game in which Wilkins gets several fgs!
Edit: Oh and no my playoffs start this upcoming weekend, I'm in a ten team league ranked 2nd place.

tbl
12/11/2006, 11:31 PM
i just knew that he would... but now i am wondering... did Roy even get a tackle tonight??? :eek:
He sure looked good giving up touchdowns... I just hope the rest of the NFC wasn't taking notes.

TopDawg
12/13/2006, 01:33 PM
Heh. I have Colston as well, I left him on the bench because everything I read seemed pretty certain that he wouldn't play. So I used Antonio Bryant who everyone thought would have a huge game against the Green Bay Slackers...well he didn't.

I have enough good WR that I can put Colston in the TE slot. I benched him and played Cooley who did an okay job. But since everybody seemed to think Colston wouldn't play, I benched Deion Branch and put Devery Henderson in my 3rd WR slot. That was good for me, although I ended up winning by about 35 anyway.

Edit: Oh and no my playoffs start this upcoming weekend, I'm in a ten team league ranked 2nd place.

Congrats on the good regular season. If your playoffs go 3 weeks, you might want to start evaluating how many of your key players will be playing in Week 17. If you've got players on teams that have clinched playoff spots, some of their stars might not be playing. Now is the time to look ahead and maybe pick up one or two free agents who might be more likely to play a full game in Week 17 for your championship game. The last thing you want is to have a roster full of great players who will only play 1 half for your league championship.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/13/2006, 02:05 PM
"The suck" is when you need the Bears to have at least 2 TD's longer than 70 yards and 5 sacks to win....and then the Bears get the 2 long TDs, freaking unbelievable but get 3 sacks.

TopDawg
12/13/2006, 05:21 PM
"The suck" is when you need the Bears to have at least 2 TD's longer than 70 yards and 5 sacks to win....and then the Bears get the 2 long TDs, freaking unbelievable but get 3 sacks.

What kinda point system is that when it matters how long the TD plays are?

OU-HSV
12/13/2006, 08:56 PM
...Congrats on the good regular season. If your playoffs go 3 weeks, you might want to start evaluating how many of your key players will be playing in Week 17. If you've got players on teams that have clinched playoff spots, some of their stars might not be playing. Now is the time to look ahead and maybe pick up one or two free agents who might be more likely to play a full game in Week 17 for your championship game. The last thing you want is to have a roster full of great players who will only play 1 half for your league championship.
Thanks...Yeah, I faced this dilema last year when I had Manning then too. Everyone wondered how long he would play toward the end of the reg season. The way my leagues playoffs work this year are 1-4 play in a championship playoff, in which the #1 plays #4 and #2 plays #3. Also there's a "Consolation Playoff" in which the #5 through #8 duke it out to see who sucks worse :D After last weekend I ended up dropping to #3. I have a few good matchups this weekend so I feel pretty good about my chance to get into the championship game a week and a half from now.
As of now my starting roster for this week is:
Drew Brees
Tiki
Reggie Wayne
Colston
Chad Johnson
Warrick Dunn (which I'll have to watch closely since he's injured)
Jeff Wilkins
Jag Defense/sp t

If Dunn can't go I'm either using Cotchery or Brandon Jacobs.