PDA

View Full Version : Rocky Calmus

Archangel
12/10/2006, 08:26 PM
Cowboys | Calmus works out with team
Wed, 6 Dec 2006 14:40:19 -0800

Free agent LB Rocky Calmus (Colts) worked out with the Dallas Cowboys Tuesday, Dec. 5.

Tuesday workouts are fairly common. Doubt they're looking to sign him for this season, just getting an early look for a chance of signing him in the offseason. Chances are probably slim of him getting signed, but word is the Cowboys are really disappointed in first round pick Bobby Carpenter.

I would really like to see him play again.

DrZaius
12/10/2006, 08:33 PM
I sure would like to see him play for someone.

AzianSooner
12/10/2006, 08:34 PM
Wow.

Sooner_Havok
12/10/2006, 08:37 PM
If he can go for a while without getting hurt he would be a great pick up for Dallas

OUstud
12/10/2006, 08:40 PM
I'm actually starting to really like Dallas now.

StoopTroup
12/10/2006, 08:50 PM
Fairweather....

n/m :D

badger
12/10/2006, 09:17 PM
I HATE DALLAS WHY CAN'T SOONERS PLAY IN GREEN BAY WHY STINKIN DALLAS AND STUPID CHICAGO WHO ARE THE PACKERS BIGGEST RIVALS, NEXT TO LOSER MINNESOTA?!?!?!

AHHHHHHH!!!!! :mad:

the_ouskull
12/10/2006, 09:52 PM
...but word is the Cowboys are really disappointed in first round pick Bobby Carpenter.

Well, that's what they get for adding a defender when their problems are on the other side of the ball.

They could have gotten Davin Joseph, DeAngelo Williams, Lawrence Maroney, or Winston Justice... ALL players that the 'Boys could have used this year. (For that matter, they could have gotten a QB, but I think things have worked out well on that end anyway...)

There were other, good, defenders available even after the Carpenter pick... but with their 2nd round pick, they took a freakin' TE. They already have a Pro Bowl TE on their roster in Whitten, but they take a TE... IN THE SECOND ROUND... A hit-or-miss LB in the 1st round, and an idiot pick in the 2nd. If depth at important positions (WR, OL) becomes a problem for Dallas later in the season, looking back on this draft, the players they picked up aren't contributing a great deal.

Now, having said all of that, MAN, it'd be nice for Rocky to make it on the Cowboys. I bet Roy'd like it too.

the_ouskull

SoonerGM
12/10/2006, 09:58 PM
thier running game looks just fine to me. i dont agree with thier 1st round pick, but the 2nd round pick isnt so bad. the boys like to have 2 TE's on the field at the same time, and he has made some good plays this year. it would be nice to have some a young WR though.

i dont see calmus coming to dallas though. parcells wants big linebackers, and i dont remember calmus being very big. just really fast and very smart.

badger
12/10/2006, 10:02 PM
I wonder if TRRW had anything to do with Dallas picking him up. I think Tommie convinced Chicago to draft Dusty.

the_ouskull
12/10/2006, 10:31 PM
It's more like Tommie's success convinced Chicago to draft Dusty. I'm sure that somebody would at least ASK Roy what he thought... Roy would put in a word, sure, but, ultimately, Rocky would have to impress with his strength and ability to take on blockers. That's what'll get him signed...

the_ouskull

snp
12/10/2006, 11:52 PM
Draft Rant

You do realize that teams don't take every pick for immediate success, right?

tulsaoilerfan
12/10/2006, 11:54 PM
You do realize that teams don't take every pick for immediate success, right?
Unless you draft a QB, most teams would at least like their first rounder to contribute something during the season; with the salary cap, you can't afford to have a first round bust on your roster

AUGUSTUS-CAESAR
12/11/2006, 12:22 AM
Did Rocky get branded by the NFL folks as being not quite fast enough to play the position in the league? He was obviously an awesome college LBer.

the_ouskull
12/11/2006, 12:26 AM
It was a combination of a handful of things, his size and speed being the two most frequently mentioned.

the_ouskull

snp
12/11/2006, 12:34 AM
Unless you draft a QB, most teams would at least like their first rounder to contribute something during the season; with the salary cap, you can't afford to have a first round bust on your roster

Yea, but it's a little early to label the guy a bust in his first year. I'm not going to pretend I know more than a proven organization because I have no idea how their contracts are set up, their actual opinions on the player, other players at the same position's contract expiring soon, etc etc.

Maybe I'm too trusting. v:Ov

SoonerGM
12/11/2006, 12:35 AM
he was on the colts squad. after tonight, maybe they should reconsider re-signing him. i mean, thier run defense sucks, and they have proven that on several occasions.

SoonerGM
12/11/2006, 12:41 AM
Yea, but it's a little early to label the guy a bust in his first year. I'm not going to pretend I know more than a proven organization because I have no idea how their contracts are set up, their actual opinions on the player, other players at the same position's contract expiring soon, etc etc.

Maybe I'm too trusting. v:Ov

are we still referring to that carpenter guy from dallas? if so, the only reason the guy has seen any playing time is because greg ellis has been injured. before that, jason hatcher, a third round pick from Grambling State was seeing more playing time. Carpenter by comparisson is the 1st round pick from "THE Ohio State University" :rolleyes: , is getting paid a lot more money and is a lot less productive. so when you compare all that, its looking like probably the worst draft move for them this year.

if you are just talking about in general, well.. i dont think you can. too many variable to consider in each situation.

sjt
12/11/2006, 09:47 AM
I saw him here in TN in a restaurant with his wife a few months ago. I think still may be living here. I was wondering if he was still playing.