PDA

View Full Version : White Rock Half Marathon

Howzit
12/10/2006, 07:15 PM
About six weeks ago a "friend" entered both if us in this event, unbeknownst to me at the time. I figured we had enough time since we were already running 9 to 10 miles anyway.

Work hasn't cooperated with long run weekends OR mid-week runs and I hadn't gotten the level of preparation I needed, so I was really dreading it this morning.

But it ended up being a really top shelf event. They announced at the start it was the largest half-marathon ever in the state of tejas, and they ran out of numbers. I guess that means there was in the neighborhood of 10,000 runners for the half, combine that with the marathon and it was a huge event.

I was on pace for a 2 hour event at about 12 miles, and then cratered pretty bad the last mile. My motto used to be I'm still a winner if I lose my dinner on these things, and I was one winning mofo. I had taken a carb gel at around 9 miles and neglected to drink enough water to wash it down. It was trying to come back up the last mile or so, and my calves kept cramping. Ended up at 2:03 watch time.

I'll take it. I'm getting too old for this...I'll be a hurtin puppy tomorrey.

JohnnyMack
12/10/2006, 07:52 PM

sanantoniosooner
12/10/2006, 07:54 PM
I got no joke.

Glad you made it.

StoopTroup
12/10/2006, 07:55 PM
We walked around Bass Pro today and then went to Steak N Shake.

Soonerus
12/10/2006, 07:59 PM
[quote=Howzit]About six weeks ago a "friend" entered both if us in this event, unbeknownst to me at the time. I figured we had enough time since we were already running 9 to 10 miles anyway.

Work hasn't cooperated with long run weekends OR mid-week runs and I hadn't gotten the level of preparation I needed, so I was really dreading it this morning.

But it ended up being a really top shelf event. They announced at the start it was the largest half-marathon ever in the state of tejas, and they ran out of numbers. I guess that means there was in the neighborhood of 10,000 runners for the halkf, combine that with the marathon and it was a huge event.

I was on pace for a 2 hour event at about 12 miles, and then cratered pretty bad the last mile. My motto used to be I'm still a winner if I lose my dinner on these things, and I was one winning mofo. I had taken a carb gel at around 9 miles and neglected to drink enough water to wash it down. It was trying to come back up the last mile or so, and my calves kept cramping. Ended up at 2:03 watch time.

I'll take it. I'm getting too old for this...I'll be a hurtin puppy tomorrey.[/quote}

Congratulations Howzit, I have run about 10 halfs and 3 fulls, it is never easy for me...I have done OKC Memorial every year since it began...

Howzit
12/10/2006, 08:15 PM
Congratulations Howzit, I have run about 10 halfs and 3 fulls, it is never easy for me...I have done OKC Memorial every year since it began...

I've only done one full - the inaugural OKC. I have visions of maybe trying it again this year, but I don't know if work will cooperate. I'll more than likely end up doing the half again.

Soonerus
12/10/2006, 08:40 PM
I've only done one full - the inaugural OKC. I have visions of maybe trying it again this year, but I don't know if work will cooperate. I'll more than likely end up doing the half again.

I did the inaugural OKC full also, it was so damn hot I died on the second half...came throught 1st 1/2 half at 1:46, then the heat took its toll...miserable, I can still feel the pain....

Howzit
12/10/2006, 09:21 PM
I did the inaugural OKC full also, it was so damn hot I died on the second half...came throught 1st 1/2 half at 1:46, then the heat took its toll...miserable, I can still feel the pain....

Dang, a 1:46 half is hoofin' it.

I had overtrained and took a ski trip in the middle of the training schedule. My quads were fried and never recovered. I remember getting groin cramps or spasms at mile 16 - right around Stars and Stripes park. The last 10 miles were like the Bataan death march.

Soonerus
12/10/2006, 09:27 PM
Dang, a 1:46 half is hoofin' it.

I had overtrained and took a ski trip in the middle of the training schedule. My quads were fried and never recovered. I remember getting groin cramps or spasms at mile 16 - right around Stars and Stripes park. The last 10 miles were like the Bataan death march.

Well, I did not hold service in the 2nd half at all...but at the half mark I had these silly notions like I was going to finish in 3:35 or for sure in the 3:30's somewhere, well I ended much closer to 4:00...it got so hot, that is the reason they now start at 6:30 a.m. to avoid that heat that can bring you to your knees...

Boarder
12/10/2006, 10:47 PM
Good job, dude. Running long distances is hard.

Taxman71
12/11/2006, 07:42 AM
Cool. I was going to do the WhiteRock half but training slacked the last month. Planning on doing the OKC full in April as my 1st marathon, then maybe the Rock next December. Both are great first time marathons (well supported, fairly flat) from what I have heard. Waiting for Santa to bring me the new Polar 800sd until I kick it in high gear for OKC.

Mjcpr
12/11/2006, 09:19 AM
I remember getting groin cramps or spasms at mile 16 - right around Stars and Stripes park.

I SWEAR TO GOD, IT'S JUST SWEAT!!