PDA

View Full Version : Gas & Oil Attorneys and Landmen

1stTimeCaller
12/10/2006, 04:54 PM
What happens if I'm drilling a directional well in Sec 29 8N 10W and for some reason I drill into Sec 28 8N 10W?

Do all of the mineral owners in Section 28 get money from that well?
Are the mineral owners in 29 screwed or just the operator?

TIA

TUSooner
12/10/2006, 05:09 PM
What happens if I'm drilling a directional well in Sec 29 8N 10W and for some reason I drill into Sec 28 8N 10W?

TIA
I used to work with guys who got paid $250 an hour to answer those questions. But I've got NUTHIN. ;)

royalfan5
12/10/2006, 05:10 PM
Kuwait used to drill directional wells into Iraq, look how that turned out. A directional well set in motion the events that got Mr. Burns shot as well. Seems to be a sketchy proposition to me.

oilmud
12/10/2006, 05:24 PM
Saw a well drilled one time off the wrong stake. There were two stakes in a field on different land owners. Operator's hand found the wrong stake and built the location. Rig moved in and drilled the well. While logging the well they realized the legal was wrong. Turns out the land was owned by an out of stater that the operator did not have a lease with. hillarity ensued.

oh, to answer your question. Surely they taught you that all directional curves are perfect, no?

1stTimeCaller
12/10/2006, 05:43 PM
The wells I've been on were drilled exactly as the well plan showed.

I was just thinking about SoonerBorn68. ;)

WILBURJIM
12/10/2006, 05:46 PM
Or could someone pump cleanly from their property an oil deposit that is mainly in someone elses domain? Say the edge of the oil field just barely overlaps your property line. Can someone pump that field dry without it considered "stealing?" No directional drilling involved.

oilmud
12/10/2006, 05:50 PM
Or could someone pump cleanly from their property an oil deposit that is mainly in someone elses domain? Say the edge of the oil field just barely overlaps your property line. Can someone pump that field dry without it considered "stealing?" No directional drilling involved.

Someone with minerals might jump in here, but I think surrounding mineral owners are compensated just at lesser %. But I did not sleep at a Holiday Inn last night.

oilmud
12/10/2006, 05:55 PM

In my years in the patch, never saw one that wasn't according to plan.:D :D

1stTimeCaller
12/10/2006, 05:58 PM

Everyone in the section is compensated. The hydrocarbons do not have to be under your land or be anywhere near your rights to minerals, just in the same section.

The standard offer is X dollars per mineral acre as a bonus and then 3/16ths of net revenue. You negotiate from there.

You could also choose to participate. If the well is estimated to cost $640,000 to complete and produce the mineral owners would then invest with the operator $1,000 for every mineral acre owned. You then pay for the operating costs of the well for it's lifetime. You also get much more than 3/16ths. You get 16/16ths. You could drill a dry hole and it could just cost you money.

WILBURJIM
12/10/2006, 06:10 PM
Is it at all possible for a poor mountaineer to shoot at some food and pucture an oil deposit and oil comes bubbling out of the ground? Serious question, as I know nothing much about geology.

VeeJay
12/10/2006, 06:23 PM
and for some reason I drill into Sec 28 8N 10W?

That some reason wouldn't be the result of an extree large bar tab, would it?

BajaOklahoma
12/10/2006, 06:25 PM
WJ, only on the backlots in LA.

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/10/2006, 06:27 PM
Let me answer that for my client...
:)

1stTimeCaller
12/10/2006, 06:28 PM
That some reason wouldn't be the result of an extree large bar tab, would it?
I haven't found anybody out here that likes to drink.. Or cuss or smoke.

1stTimeCaller
12/10/2006, 06:33 PM
Oh, it was a hypothetical question.

I just make logs of where the bit is and the amount of radiation given off the formation it's going through. I don't decide where to turn the toolface or anything like that. We just give a real-time report of the hole and it's location.

OUinFLA
12/10/2006, 06:44 PM

I just make logs of where the bit is and the amount of radiation given off the formation it's going through. I don't decide where to turn the toolface or anything like that. We just give a real-time report of the hole and it's location.

kinda like one of your dates?
:D

SoonerBorn68
12/10/2006, 09:20 PM

I too have NEVER been on a location where the well plan didn't match the well exactly. ;)

SoonerBorn68
12/10/2006, 09:25 PM

Don't let him fool ya'll. He does less than that. :D

1stTimeCaller
12/11/2006, 07:04 AM
SB68's right. I may not do much but I do a lot of it. :D

maybe someone from the workday crowd will know the answer.

Ash
12/11/2006, 09:03 AM
I'm just wondering how you make that mistake.

Were engineers involved in the map reading or location finding process?

1stTimeCaller
12/11/2006, 09:10 AM

I don't know if this has ever happened. I was asking what would happen if it happened.

Squirrely things happen underground. Vertical wells are never plumb. Our newest technology, the highest dollar tool we currently have will make true vertical holes and straight horizontals.

Directional drilling is not a new technology. True verticals and straight horizontals is a new technology.

MamaMia
12/11/2006, 09:55 AM
We own land in Moutain View. An oil company has had land leases on both our property, as well as our neighbors, who owns alot less land that we do. You can smell the gas in our creek. We just learned that our neighbor is dealing with a company to drill a gas well. If half the gas is on our property, can they pump our gas away and pay him for it?

1stTimeCaller
12/11/2006, 10:00 AM
We own land in Moutain View. An oil company has had land leases on both our property, as well as our neighbors, who owns alot less land that we do. You can smell the gas in our creek. We just learned that our neighbor is dealing with a company to drill a gas well. If half the gas is on our property, can they pump our gas away and pay him for it?

do you also own the minerals? If you do own the mineral rights under your land you should get contacted by the exploration company that is going to produce the well. If you don't own the minerals the only way you will get anything is if they want to put the rig on your property, use water from a pond of yours or put a pipeline across your property.

mrowl
12/11/2006, 10:05 AM
We just give a real-time report of the hole and it's location.

what is used to determine that?

SoonerBorn68
12/11/2006, 10:06 AM

Actually it's pretty easy to make mistakes like that. If the pipe talley (the total number of 30 ft. pipes) and or BHA (bottom hole assembly--bit, motor, etc.) is incorrect the whole hole gets screwed up. If you think you're at 8500 ft & it's actually 8530 or 8470, and have angle and direction involved, things can go to crap in a heartbeat.

Example: You're drilling a directional well that is suppose to go due south (180 degrees), the formation you want to drill in is 8000 ft., & your starting at 5000 ft. (kick off point) at an angle of 2 degrees to the north.

The driller is going to need to swing the direction of the hole 178 degrees & start to build angle to end up at 90 degrees at 8000 ft. The motor (which is behind the bit) is about 30 ft. & has a slight bend (1 to 4 degrees). The driller uses weight to push (slide) the motor in the direction he wants. This is where 1TC, martin, & I come in. Our tool measures the angle & direction the motor. If things go well you'll build 12-15 degrees each 100 ft. Some formations are hard, some are soft, & others have fractures that can turn the bit in any direction except where you want.

So, it's a guessing game every 30 ft. Sometimes the angle's too steep & sometimes it's too shallow. Sometimes you'll fade to the side & it takes several hundred feet to correct it--sometimes you can't even do that. The driller will have to make adjustments for every variance.

Besides, everything in the oilfield is "appoximate" anyway. :D

SoonerBorn68
12/11/2006, 10:12 AM

I'm not sure about 1TC's company, but our sensors are built into sections of non magnetic pipe which fits into the drill pipe near the motor. It looks like a 25 ft. javelin. On the top we have a pulser that "pings" the information up through the drilling mud, into a transducer, then into the computer that decodes it into usable data. It's really like subterranian sonar.

1stTimeCaller
12/11/2006, 10:14 AM

there are many tools to do it but they pretty much all work on the same principle. The mud flows down through the pipe and collars and it either vibrates causing a battery to turn on or it spins an aleternator. This gives power to a computer. The computer tells the pulser what pulses to send. The pulser cuts off the mud flow and a pulse wave is created and it travels up the mud column and is decoded at the surface on the stand pipe.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/MWD_(measurement_while_drilling)

SoonerBorn68
12/11/2006, 10:19 AM
I prefer Movie Watchin' Dude or Motionless While Drilling.

MamaMia
12/11/2006, 11:02 AM
do you also own the minerals? If you do own the mineral rights under your land you should get contacted by the exploration company that is going to produce the well. If you don't own the minerals the only way you will get anything is if they want to put the rig on your property, use water from a pond of yours or put a pipeline across your property.We do own the mineral rights. Its my husbands and our neighbors Indian Trust Land. The oil company is only having talks with our neighbor though.

1stTimeCaller
12/11/2006, 11:09 AM
maybe they are just talking about surface use? If you guys are in the same section and you do own mineral rights you will make money off of that well.

you can always call the Oklahoma Corporation Commission and ask them about it.

BlondeSoonerGirl
12/11/2006, 11:12 AM
I saw a new OERB commercial this morning and I looked for 1TC but he wasn't in it.

The End.

1stTimeCaller
12/11/2006, 11:15 AM
I saw a new OERB commercial this morning and I looked for 1TC but he wasn't in it.

The End.

I've gained some weight, OK. No need to act like you can't recognize me now.:O

Petro-Sooner
12/11/2006, 11:19 AM
Is it at all possible for a poor mountaineer to shoot at some food and pucture an oil deposit and oil comes bubbling out of the ground? Serious question, as I know nothing much about geology.

Negative. There was vegatation on the ground in which the buck shot hit. This means you would have to assume that there was soil. Only rock at the surface and no soil which the grass grows on would be unlikely. In this situation the buck shot would have had to puncture the cap rock that keep the reservior rock from flowing upward. Something to that effect. In other words, no. Its all Hollywood. :texan:

Ash
12/11/2006, 01:31 PM
Actually it's pretty easy to make mistakes like that. If the pipe talley (the total number of 30 ft. pipes) and or BHA (bottom hole assembly--bit, motor, etc.) is incorrect the whole hole gets screwed up. If you think you're at 8500 ft & it's actually 8530 or 8470, and have angle and direction involved, things can go to crap in a heartbeat.

Example: You're drilling a directional well that is suppose to go due south (180 degrees), the formation you want to drill in is 8000 ft., & your starting at 5000 ft. (kick off point) at an angle of 2 degrees to the north.

The driller is going to need to swing the direction of the hole 178 degrees & start to build angle to end up at 90 degrees at 8000 ft. The motor (which is behind the bit) is about 30 ft. & has a slight bend (1 to 4 degrees). The driller uses weight to push (slide) the motor in the direction he wants. This is where 1TC, martin, & I come in. Our tool measures the angle & direction the motor. If things go well you'll build 12-15 degrees each 100 ft. Some formations are hard, some are soft, & others have fractures that can turn the bit in any direction except where you want.

So, it's a guessing game every 30 ft. Sometimes the angle's too steep & sometimes it's too shallow. Sometimes you'll fade to the side & it takes several hundred feet to correct it--sometimes you can't even do that. The driller will have to make adjustments for every variance.

Besides, everything in the oilfield is "appoximate" anyway. :D

Hmm...OK, I'm not an oil guy. I do know my fair share of geology and have had to try and get engineers to read maps...thus the comment. But it was an honest question, just wondering where on the section that rig was, sections are a mile square...I'd think it would take a fair amount of squirrley to get from one to another unless your already near the section line.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/11/2006, 04:10 PM

TIA

Not a thing if they don't find out...

When a big find is announced, its a race to place wells around the edge of the said find by others to hopefully help suck it dry...;)

SoonerBorn68
12/11/2006, 04:33 PM
Hmm...OK, I'm not an oil guy. I do know my fair share of geology and have had to try and get engineers to read maps...thus the comment. But it was an honest question, just wondering where on the section that rig was, sections are a mile square...I'd think it would take a fair amount of squirrley to get from one to another unless your already near the section line.

I wasn't trying to insinuate anything, but I thought it needed some esplainin'. Here's an example from a recent experience I had. We were suppose to drill due south & have a 3400 ft. or so lateral. When we got down to the kick off point & took a survey they figured out they were 11 degrees to the north, not 1 or 2 like they'd expected. We weren't out there when they went off course 775 ft. but we had to fix it. By the time we got straightened back to 0 degrees we had broken the hard line & were on another lease by about 100 ft. They had to get approval from the Corp. Commission to proceed. If they hadn't gotten it, we would have had to plug back and redrill.

Okla-homey
12/11/2006, 08:33 PM

TIA

capture doctrine. First in time, first in right. yeehaw!

1stTimeCaller
12/11/2006, 09:04 PM
capture doctrine. First in time, first in right. yeehaw!

Could you dumb that down for me. I think I know what you're saying but I read at an 8th grade level and comprehend at a 3rd grade level.

Thanks

usmc-sooner
12/11/2006, 09:08 PM
We do own the mineral rights. Its my husbands and our neighbors Indian Trust Land. The oil company is only having talks with our neighbor though.

If it's Indian Trust land you gotta go through the tribe or BIA, since it's Mountain View you'd probably have to check with the Kiowa Tribe in Carnegie or the BIA in Anadarko

Mongo
12/11/2006, 09:10 PM
They should run off the MWD's and DD's, they are good for nothing anyway

Okla-homey
12/11/2006, 09:10 PM
Could you dumb that down for me. I think I know what you're saying but I read at an 8th grade level and comprehend at a 3rd grade level.

Thanks

It prolly doesn't apply here, but there is this general notion that oil forms an underground pool which is often under multiple surface landowners' property, and whoever taps that ginormous pool first has the right to take a reasonable amount of it. I'm sure the situation you described is nowhere that simple. I was just trying to be amusing.

SoonerBorn68
12/11/2006, 09:12 PM

STFU rock sniffer. ;)

1stTimeCaller
12/11/2006, 09:34 PM

Hey Mongo, aren't you a rockhound? If you guys see pyrite in your samples are you supposed to tell the company man?

I'm thinking you probably should. We just pulled a PDC that had less than 40 hours on it and it looked like a sharpened pencil. there was one diamond left. It was gauged to the jets. I should've taken pictures.

Mongo
12/11/2006, 09:47 PM
Hey Mongo, aren't you a rockhound? If you guys see pyrite in your samples are you supposed to tell the company man?

I'm thinking you probably should. We just pulled a PDC that had less than 40 hours on it and it looked like a sharpened pencil. there was one diamond left. It was gauged to the jets. I should've taken pictures.

We only run into pyrite in scat amounts in the Mississippian and we only use tri-cone bits, not that big of an issue out here. Plus, I bypass the company men(had a run in or two) and talk straight to the head geologists. I have been out in this region for about a year anthere is no big surprise geologicallly speaking.

Oh and as a mud logger, we hate PDC bits.

SoonerBorn68
12/11/2006, 10:04 PM
Plus, I bypass the company men(had a run in or two) and talk straight to the head geologists.

Wussy!:P

Mongo
12/11/2006, 10:07 PM
Wussy!:P

Have you been out of your trailer yet this month?

SoonerBorn68
12/11/2006, 10:10 PM
I haven't been on location for 15 days. :P

BTW, I bought another one.

Mongo
12/11/2006, 10:13 PM
I haven't been on location for 15 days. :P

BTW, I bought another one.

Dude, you dont have to tell me everytime you buy the latest and greatest dildo.:D

SoonerBorn68
12/11/2006, 10:22 PM
Well you did say you wanted to upgrade yours. I just thought you could buy my old one. :D

1stTimeCaller
12/12/2006, 12:25 AM
We only run into pyrite in scat amounts in the Mississippian and we only use tri-cone bits, not that big of an issue out here. Plus, I bypass the company men(had a run in or two) and talk straight to the head geologists. I have been out in this region for about a year anthere is no big surprise geologicallly speaking.

Why do you hate technology? ;) Personally, I hate high ROP myself. I'm happy with 10-15. Is pyrite something that would kill a bit though? My uneducated guess is that it would.

Why do mud loggers hate PDCs? Don't you get the same sample?

Mongo
12/12/2006, 12:35 AM
I love the slow drilling. Easy money. Pure pyrite stringers are rare in my area. It usually comes interbedded in the shale as a trace mineral. Really no bid deal. The biggest killer of PDC is sandstone formations.

A PDC is used as a high RPM/low bit weight to reach optimal use. Think of it as a razor. It shaves the rock at a high speed versus a tri-cone that crushes the rock.

Why do mud loggers hate PDC's? Those bastards, when run right, can drill 120-180 ft/hour, which is a ton to log. PM me if you want the full explaination.

Beano's Fourth Chin
12/15/2006, 01:04 AM
The most scared I've ever been in my life was sitting on a logging job in S. Tex.

I don't remember what the problem ended up being, most likely a combo of things, In any event, while logging we started getting a LOT of mud coming back at us. We finally got the logging tool out, but by then it was too late, there wasn't enough mud left in the hole to hold it back. They went back in with the pipe, but they only got a few hundred feet back in and eventually, all the pipe came back out with the last of the mud Looked like spaghetti flippign around everywher. I don't know how the guy up top didn't get skewered. He didn't even come down the zip line. Climbed down the ladder. The gas ignited and it like to singed my eyebrows from a couple hundred yards away.

That was the very first day of my petrophysical assignment.