PDA

View Full Version : USA Today Article on Boise State

Blues1
12/10/2006, 03:20 AM
From a junior college in 1965 to 12 and 0 in the WAC

Link..

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/wac/2006-12-07-boise-state-cover_x.htm

If Bosie State was playing Texas - there's a good chance a lot of Sooner Fans would be rooting for them....But --- Here comes The Sooners..... :)

Keep R'

guzziguy
12/10/2006, 09:29 AM
Nice article for them. I wish them well once we're through with them.

Flagstaffsooner
12/10/2006, 09:40 AM
Nice article for them. I wish them well once we're through with them.Kinda like an old girlfriend, huh?:D

guzziguy
12/10/2006, 09:59 AM
Kinda like an old girlfriend, huh?:D
Yes, pretty much. :D

Big Red Ron
12/10/2006, 11:55 AM
Kinda like an old girlfriend, huh?:DPfft...:O

Love 'em and leave 'em I say.

Blues1
12/10/2006, 12:10 PM
Boise State wants to play with the BIG Boys and make a name for itself --- you can't blame them for that --- Maybe around 2010 or 2011 they will have a chance..... :)

Seriously --- My guess is --- Probably around 70% to 80% of other college football fans and Sport writers out there will be pulling for Boise State to upset the Sooners --- We CAN'T let that happen.....I'm sure our players & coaches are going to be ready with both guns blazing.....They can have their "FEEL GOOD Underdog Story" some other place - some other year....

Boomer Sooner --- :)

Miko
12/10/2006, 12:46 PM
Probably around 70% to 80% of other college football fans and Sport writers out there will be pulling for Boise State to upset the Sooners ....

I would say that on any given Sat. that 70-80% would pull for us to lose to the Jihadists of Black September University. I think only those of us who bleed crimson and cream will not be bronco fans for a day come Jan. :cool:

Blues1
12/10/2006, 12:50 PM
I would say that on any given Sat. that 70-80% would pull for us to lose to the Jihadists of Black September University. I think only those of us who bleed crimson and cream will not be bronco fans for a day come Jan. :cool:

TRUE - True -True -- You would Think after 54 years I would have Understood that --- I Will just up it to 95% --- to cover all other Sh1theads out there ................ :)

hogsone
12/10/2006, 12:58 PM
I wish we played someone else, this will be too easy.

The cheerleaders could beat Boise

OUmillenium
12/10/2006, 01:12 PM
Boise State wants to play with the BIG Boys and make a name for itself --- you can't blame them for that --- Maybe around 2010 or 2011 they will have a chance..... :)

Seriously --- My guess is --- Probably around 70% to 80% of other college football fans and Sport writers out there will be pulling for Boise State to upset the Sooners --- We CAN'T let that happen.....I'm sure our players & coaches are going to be ready with both guns blazing.....They can have their "FEEL GOOD Underdog Story" some other place - some other year....

Boomer Sooner --- :)

Yep, the loveable underdog v. the cheating Sooners. This game could be a great statement for not giving the "mid-majors" props if OU blows them out, which I hope we do.

Paperclip
12/10/2006, 01:48 PM
I'd be concerned about this game if it were the first round of March Madness under Calvin.

Ash
12/10/2006, 01:54 PM
I think it's a great story. There's lots of Div-1 programs that have been Div-1 for many more years with much less success than BSU has had.

They've gone from unknowns to crashing the big boy's party in a relatively short period of time. Even more impressive is that they've continued to have success despite coaches leaving, etc.

I understand that they come from a weak conference and don't have a stellar record against quality teams from BCS conferences. But apparently I didn't get the memo that we have to be degrading and hate BSU. I don't get it.

aurorasooner
12/10/2006, 02:22 PM
"I'd be concerned about this game if it were the first round of March Madness under Calvin." :D I'm still somewhat concerned about this game as far as the officiating goes. in the 1st quarter, it's going to be interesting to see how the refs are calling this game. if these refs start calling the ticky-tac offensive line holding calls, one-way against us, especially after the big 12 officials went blind to this penalty---look out, it may be a nail-biter. I wouldn't be surprised for us to have over 100 yards in judgement penalties with a couple of long distance TDs negated, with the smurfs ending up with only about 20 yards of red flags.

Blues1
12/10/2006, 02:42 PM
Speaking for myself - I have No Personal Hate for Boise State...

I've Been doing a Little ribbing - but not what I would call degrading them...It's not my job to take them Serious -Thats the Job of Coach Stoops and the Sooners.

Lets put it this way -- they haven't earned the respect of a Nebraska or Texas and until they do...they are fair game. IF they can't take the heat get out of the Kitchen.....You are Now playing with "The Big Boys".......
JMHO of a spoilded Sooner fan ---- :)

Keep R'

Ash
12/10/2006, 06:24 PM
Speaking for myself - I have No Personal Hate for Boise State...

I've Been doing a Little ribbing - but not what I would call degrading them...It's not my job to take them Serious -Thats the Job of Coach Stoops and the Sooners.

Lets put it this way -- they haven't earned the respect of a Nebraska or Texas and until they do...they are fair game. IF they can't take the heat get out of the Kitchen.....You are Now playing with "The Big Boys".......
JMHO of a spoilded Sooner fan ---- :)

Keep R'

I really don't care if fans take them seriously or overlook them. What we say on this board has no bearing on the game.

It's just hilarious how the general tone of the football board has changed, with a few exceptions, from a "if we continue to play well (or improve) we'll beat the next team on our schedule" to "this team will crush everyone in it's path, especially some pansy team from the WAC, we're gonna win by a bazillion points, we should be in a better bowl against a better team" after one game.

I guess people have forgotten that the OKie lite game came down to the very last play of the game, when they had a chance to score. I wonder if BSUs offense is as good or better...

OK2LA
12/10/2006, 06:39 PM
I really don't care if fans take them seriously or overlook them. What we say on this board has no bearing on the game.

It's just hilarious how the general tone of the football board has changed, with a few exceptions, from a "if we continue to play well (or improve) we'll beat the next team on our schedule" to "this team will crush everyone in it's path, especially some pansy team from the WAC, we're gonna win by a bazillion points, we should be in a better bowl against a better team" after one game.

I guess people have forgotten that the OKie lite game came down to the very last play of the game, when they had a chance to score. I wonder if BSUs offense is as good or better...

Yeah, but . . . uh - wait a second.

Ash
12/10/2006, 07:07 PM
Yeah, but . . . uh - wait a second.

Yeah, I know nobody wants to hear that point of view, just sayin'.

I personally feel that if the D continues to play as well as they have and we don't turn the ball over OU wins big, at least two TDs. It's just that the tone of some on the board has made it seem like we're playing Middle Tennessee State again.

Blues1
12/10/2006, 07:31 PM
YEP -- We are Gonna Crush them.......
Oklahoma 52 - Boise State 22 --- IF they are Lucky....... :)

SoonerDood
12/10/2006, 07:31 PM
This has the feel of playing Wazzu all over again. And just like that game, we will KILL them.

soonerspudman
12/10/2006, 07:39 PM
Couple things to think about:

1) BSU has sold out their bowl ticket allotment faster than OU
2) The spread on this game is 7 1/2 points. That means the people who really look into these things and put a large amount of money down think these teams are only 1 touchdown apart. That means losing the turnover battle, like OU has done several times this year, will likely cost you the game.

Point - Drop the blowout talk and take this game seriously, it will take a rock-solid performance just to win.

Sooner_Havok
12/10/2006, 07:45 PM
Let's not forget that Tulsa always did pretty well in this very same WAC conference. So they ran the table beating up second tier teams, so they beat a low level BCS conference team. They won the WAC, we won the Big XII, and which conference do you think is tougher? If you want to play the football is transitive game though, here you go:

Spoiled Children lost at Oregon St by 2
Oregon St. lost at Washington St. By 7
Washington St. lost to Washington By 3
Washington lost at Oklahoma by 17

So, Boystown State beat Oregon St. By 28 at home, So we beat the team that beat the team that beat the team that beat USC! Football isn’t transitive though, so on any given day anything can happen. Thing is, if OU plays the best it can, and Boystown State does the same, OU still wins in a blowout. We have more talent, more depth, and better conditioning than any WAC team could ever hope for.

Ash
12/10/2006, 07:49 PM

2) The spread on this game is 7 1/2 points. That means the people who really look into these things and put a large amount of money down think these teams are only 1 touchdown apart. That means losing the turnover battle, like OU has done several times this year, will likely cost you the game.

Point - Drop the blowout talk and take this game seriously, it will take a rock-solid performance just to win.

I don't know if I'd go that far. I think if OU plays as well as they did against Nebraska it will be a blowout, but I'm not sure if it will be on the order of 30 points like some predictions around here.

Flagstaffsooner
12/10/2006, 07:49 PM
Boystown State, funny.

Blues1
12/10/2006, 07:57 PM

Don't believe the bullsh1t --- OU 52 - BS 22 ------ :)

When are you younger guy's gonna start believing "The Blues"
A&M will Beat Texas ................... :)

Get with the Program........ :D

Ash
12/10/2006, 08:27 PM
Don't believe the bullsh1t --- OU 52 - BS 22 ------ :)

When are you younger guy's gonna start believing "The Blues"
A&M will Beat Texas ................... :)

Get with the Program........ :D

True, you called that one.

mdklatt
12/10/2006, 08:29 PM
From a junior college in 1965....

We're never going to hear the end of it if this isn't a blowout, even though they're ranked higher than we are. :mad:

Sooner_Havok
12/10/2006, 08:39 PM
If we just beat the spread, OU will not here the end of it until next season.

StoopTroup
12/10/2006, 08:46 PM
Link..

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/college/football/wac/2006-12-07-boise-state-cover_x.htm

Keep R'
Good article.

Thanks.

badger
12/10/2006, 09:56 PM
Is it a bad sign that OU has tickets left of our 17,500 allotment? Will Boise sell 500?

Blues1
12/11/2006, 12:16 AM
Is it a bad sign that OU has tickets left of our 17,500 allotment? Will Boise sell 500?

I wouldn't think so - we just had 20,000 fans drop a lot of $$$ On the Big 12 champ game - My guess is the closer we get to the game More OU fans will come through --- My guess is A lot of California Sooners will Just show up at the last minute --- IMHO - Drive in for the game and head home afterwards....Spend the night in some place like in Palm Springs area and head back to Southern Califorina Metro areas like (LA and San Diego etc)

Keep R'

soonerspudman
12/11/2006, 12:57 AM

Boise State sold their out their total 17,500 two days ago. They're saying here they will have more fans in Phoenix than OU, right now they're on that pace...

soonerspudman
12/11/2006, 01:01 AM
See below:

http://www.idahostatesman.com/124/story/63281.html

AUGUSTUS-CAESAR
12/11/2006, 01:04 AM
Honestly, we should blow them out. That being said: if we take them lightly, especially if our "D" isn't ready to play -- you know: can't tackle, can't cover someone's grandma, no pass rush, then it might be a game. I don't think they can stop us on offense, so...unless we turn the ball over...Anyway, my prediction: OU 38 BS 13

Blues1
12/11/2006, 01:05 AM
Boise State sold their out their total 17,500 two days ago. They're saying here they will have more fans in Phoenix than OU, right now they're on that pace...

Yep --By half time 20,000 BS fans will be on their way home...... :)

Ram
12/11/2006, 01:21 AM
We're never going to hear the end of it if this isn't a blowout, even though they're ranked higher than we are. :mad:.
Just for the fact of conversation... say we do blow BS out of the water, what will we be ranked? or if it's a tighter game say only by 6?

Blues1
12/11/2006, 02:16 AM
A lot depends on what happens in other bowls -- -But I see Boise State fallling to about #14 - #15 or #16 in final poll.... :)

Octavian
12/11/2006, 03:22 AM
AUGUSTUS-CAESAR

There's only one Gaius Julius Caesar Octavianus on Soonerfans...bane this imposter. :mad:

;)

jwlynn64
12/11/2006, 10:15 AM

Okie State would beat Boise. So what does how they played us have anything to do with how Boise will play us?

Also, point spreads are for betting purposes only. The spread is decided so that the bookies get an equal number of bets for each team. They make their money by taking a small piece of the action from the winnings. They don't have any interest in who actually wins or loses, they just want an equal number of bets on each team. Don't be fooled by the spread.

#1-Erin-Higgins-Fan
12/11/2006, 10:19 AM
I know this is a stupid question but am I the only one taking Boise seriously?

jwlynn64
12/11/2006, 10:23 AM
The team will take them seriously. I'll have to see a big time win for me to give them any respect. We see this type of team all the time come from these lower tiered conferences.

All offense and no real defense.

If they play us tough, shut down our offense and produce against our D, then they will be deserving of respect. Until then....

stoopified
12/11/2006, 11:39 AM
For the lack of respect shown BSU simply is a reflection of the BSU fanbase having no regard for OU.If you go to trheir message boards all you read is how they are ging to show us up.They better start beating more top 50 teams ,let alone Top 25 before they start deluding themselves into believeing that their 12-0 team is better than OUr SOONERS.If we play well I expect the final to be around 34-10,if we play poorly,27-17.

Ash
12/11/2006, 01:22 PM
Okie State would beat Boise. So what does how they played us have anything to do with how Boise will play us?

Also, point spreads are for betting purposes only. The spread is decided so that the bookies get an equal number of bets for each team. They make their money by taking a small piece of the action from the winnings. They don't have any interest in who actually wins or loses, they just want an equal number of bets on each team. Don't be fooled by the spread.

Maybe, you don't know and I don't know. But it's intriguing to me, if it ain't to you that's alright too.

BTW, who said anything about point spreads???:confused:

jwlynn64
12/11/2006, 02:22 PM
The point spread was from another post. I probably should have quoted it as well. Just lazy I guess.

I'm guess I just don't see the correlation between how a team that views us as a veritable devil plays us and how Boise State is going to play us.

One thing we know, Okie State is going to play their best game of the year against us. Also, we know that they played pretty good for most of the year against teams that turned out to be pretty good.

We really can't say the same for BSU. They are obviously a good team but I don't think that they are a really good team. Of course this is my opionion but I still stand by my belief that our little brothers to the north would win a contest with them but we don't really know until they play. I'm just making an educated guess bases on BSU schedule and Okie states resume.

AimForCenterMass
12/11/2006, 02:28 PM

I was up in the mountains skiing this past weekend (I live in Mountain Home, Idaho) when someone mentioned I was wearing the wrong clothing (I was wearing an OU fleece jacket). He asked me if I was excited about the game, and I just said, "Nah, it's just another game for OU". This is the biggest game in BSU history...not of the year...not in recent years...in history! For OU, this is just another BCS bowl in another year. I would expect BSU season ticket holders to buy all available tickets faster than Oklahoma.

In reality, I am excited about this game because I hate BSU. I've been dying to see this game ever since I moved here almost six years ago. BTW, I know almost everything there is to know about BSU and it's fanbase. If any of you have any questions, just ask.

soonerspudman
12/11/2006, 03:06 PM
Were you at Bogus or at SV?

Stoop Dawg
12/11/2006, 03:15 PM
I'd be concerned about this game if it were the first round of March Madness under Calvin.

Lucky for you, it appears you won't have to worry about losing in the first round of the NCAA bball tourny for a while.

Do you think we'll get an NIT invite?

Stoop Dawg
12/11/2006, 03:19 PM

What does this have to do with anything? When OU won the MNC in 2000 the Orange Bowl was 75-80% FSU. Point - if you're counting on fan support to win this game for you, you're in big trouble.

2) The spread on this game is 7 1/2 points. That means the people who really look into these things and put a large amount of money down think these teams are only 1 touchdown apart.

Only one touchdown?

AimForCenterMass
12/11/2006, 03:29 PM
Were you at Bogus or at SV?

Bogus, I'm not good enough to ski at Sun Valley. I hear it's all diamonds and I don't want to waste my money going somewhere I can't ski. I'll be at Brundage in two weeks, though. PM me if you're in the Boise area and want to watch with a Sooner fan or two.

soonerboy_odanorth
12/11/2006, 03:50 PM
It's just that the tone of some on the board has made it seem like we're playing Middle Tennessee State again.

Well... MTSU IS a bowl team after all! ;)

OK2LA
12/11/2006, 04:28 PM
Point of information:

Petersen & Wilcox (Head Coach/Defensive Coordinator) Both coached at Oregon - [wilcox played/graduated from there]

OK2LA
12/11/2006, 04:39 PM
2) The spread on this game is 7 1/2 points. That means the people who really look into these things and put a large amount of money down think these teams are only 1 touchdown apart.

Actually, I'd have to disagree with you here.

This is not how point spreads are made, or posted.

Although "guys in the know" are some of the smartest people in the football world, all they are trying to accomplish is getting half of the betting money on BSU and the other half on OU. When more people are betting on OU to "cover" the 7/hook - then they raise the point spread to make it more attractive for BSU bettors, or less attractive to OU bettors.

It doesn't mean that they think that OU is only a touchdown better than BSU - this is where the betting world and the sports watching world collide, and get confused.

JMHO.

Ash
12/11/2006, 05:05 PM
The point spread was from another post. I probably should have quoted it as well. Just lazy I guess.

I'm guess I just don't see the correlation between how a team that views us as a veritable devil plays us and how Boise State is going to play us.

One thing we know, Okie State is going to play their best game of the year against us. Also, we know that they played pretty good for most of the year against teams that turned out to be pretty good.

We really can't say the same for BSU. They are obviously a good team but I don't think that they are a really good team. Of course this is my opionion but I still stand by my belief that our little brothers to the north would win a contest with them but we don't really know until they play. I'm just making an educated guess bases on BSU schedule and Okie states resume.

I'd agree with you on most points. I just tend to be more skeptical because of the unknowns.

OK2LA
12/11/2006, 05:11 PM
I just tend to be more skeptical because of the unknowns.

Like the final score?

soonerspudman
12/11/2006, 05:26 PM
Actually, I'd have to disagree with you here.

This is not how point spreads are made, or posted.

Although "guys in the know" are some of the smartest people in the football world, all they are trying to accomplish is getting half of the betting money on BSU and the other half on OU. When more people are betting on OU to "cover" the 7/hook - then they raise the point spread to make it more attractive for BSU bettors, or less attractive to OU bettors.

It doesn't mean that they think that OU is only a touchdown better than BSU - this is where the betting world and the sports watching world collide, and get confused.

JMHO.

Not talking about the oddsmakers, talking about the people who make the bets that drive the oddsmakers. People voting with their dollars say a one touchdown difference. My only point is that talk of a blowout is inconsistent with where people are actually putting their money...

soonerspudman
12/11/2006, 05:29 PM
What does this have to do with anything? When OU won the MNC in 2000 the Orange Bowl was 75-80% FSU. Point - if you're counting on fan support to win this game for you, you're in big trouble.

Only one touchdown?

Someone had wondered if BSU would sell 500 tickets, just trying to shed light on what's really happening...

jwlynn64
12/11/2006, 05:41 PM
Not talking about the oddsmakers, talking about the people who make the bets that drive the oddsmakers. People voting with their dollars say a one touchdown difference. My only point is that talk of a blowout is inconsistent with where people are actually putting their money...

OK. People who bet on OU are thinking that OU will actually win the game by more than 7-1/2 points.

People that bet on BSU think that they will lose by less or outright win the game.

The 7-1/2 points is only a balance point where an equal number of betters will choose OU and BSU. If a dispropotionate number of people start betting one way over the other, the point spread will change.

This has no actual correlation to what "experts" think that final score will be.

OK2LA
12/11/2006, 05:47 PM

Joe Public doesn't move the betting lines - wise guys do.

That doesn't mean that Joe doesn't get it right sometimes, and vice versa with the wise guys.

StoopTroup
12/11/2006, 06:00 PM
The 7-1/2 points is only a balance point where an equal number of betters will choose OU and BSU. If a dispropotionate number of people start betting one way over the other, the point spread will change.

Points spreads are designed to create action.

The book makes money without taking a risk by laying off the bets when they become disproportionate like you were saying.

The experts think OU wins this one easy.

AUGUSTUS-CAESAR
12/12/2006, 12:02 AM
There's only one Gaius Julius Caesar Octavianus on Soonerfans...bane this imposter. :mad:

;)

You gotta belive me when I say I had no intention of stealing anyone's thunder.:D

AimForCenterMass
12/13/2006, 09:37 AM
http://mb14.scout.com/fboisestatefrm7.showMessageRange?topicID=27891.top ic&start=1&stop=20

Here's a perfect example of football algebra. See the argument made by BSU fans, and then the explanation of football algebra on page three. Please contribute if you have anything else.

AimForCenterMass
12/13/2006, 10:03 AM
http://mb14.scout.com/fboisestatefrm2.showMessage?topicID=3745.topic

I also made a nice argument on Oklahoma's behalf regarding the Oregon game. Boise State fans just won't acknowledge the truth, so I turned the table on them.

FormerSoonerProf
12/13/2006, 11:12 AM
Boise State has nothing to lose and everything to gain. So, they will take extreme risks. ... they will come out and play very aggressively.
On the offense, if OUr Sooners do not respond, they will come again and again to attack PT. Our OL better be ready for this one. On the defensive side of things, our defense better be prepared for some trick plays and big risky plays by their offense. They will try some momentum gaining plays which are risky and designed to get us down. We better watch out!

soonerspudman
12/13/2006, 02:06 PM
Boise State has nothing to lose and everything to gain. So, they will take extreme risks. ... they will come out and play very aggressively.
On the offense, if OUr Sooners do not respond, they will come again and again to attack PT. Our OL better be ready for this one. On the defensive side of things, our defense better be prepared for some trick plays and big risky plays by their offense. They will try some momentum gaining plays which are risky and designed to get us down. We better watch out!

The important thing is once OU gets a lead, which I think they will pretty quickly, that they don't don't try to win the rest of the game by running at the tackles and playing soft zone. BSU can negate OU's speed/athleticism advantage if OUs D scheme gives them some holes, their offense excels at puttting the ball where the defense isn't and they're very football-smart this way. Point - OU must keep attacking on O and especially on D for the entire 60 minutes, I see this as really key.

AzianSooner
12/13/2006, 04:17 PM
Zach Latimer said that he is not coming to the game thinking he is faster than anyone of Boise. He will come to the game thinking that he is going to beat the Boise state and believe those Boisers think the same when they walk onto the field.

GOBOISESTATE
12/15/2006, 09:56 PM
Hi Sooner Fans,

I thought I would stop by and wish you all a great game Jan 1st. Bronco fans respect your team/fans/program. We are excited to play a power house in OU.

Dont listen to Aimforcentermass. Most Boise State fans are fully aware of who we are playing. A few are homers just like I'm sure a few are here. Not sure why he doesn't like the school. Are you friends with any Vandals AFCM?

Anyways, good luck Jan 1st.

I think OU will win the game, but don't be surprised if we pull of the upset. We believe this team is special and will compete well.

GO BRONCOS!!!