PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever decorated a grave for Christmas?

Flagstaffsooner
12/9/2006, 11:07 PM
My friend Robyn lost her mother last year. So she drags me down to the Verde Valley to decorate her grave. I thought it was all too weird. I did put one crimson ornament thing on a branch over the plot. The really odd thing was that there were lots of other people in the cemetary decorating.:confused:

Okla-homey
12/10/2006, 07:07 AM
Yes. every Christmas. It's actually quite common. No lights or anything, just a Christmas floral arrangement. Poinsettias and such.

walkoffsooner
12/10/2006, 08:32 AM
Didn't know this but cool.

VeeJay
12/10/2006, 09:35 AM
This is not uncommon at all, to put holly berries and poinsettias at a grave site.

It is a nice remembrance of loved ones during this season.

1stTimeCaller
12/10/2006, 10:08 AM
never knew that. But then again, I'm not at the cemetary around Christmas or any other time of the year.

VeeJay
12/10/2006, 02:56 PM
Me neither.

But my mom used to take us when we were kids to her mother's gravesite (my grandmother died from leukemia when I was a baby) a lot and around Christmas there were a lot of graves decorated in red and green.

Maybe it's a Southern thing. But I doubt it.

BajaOklahoma
12/10/2006, 03:53 PM
Don't they put a wreath on each grave at Arlington National Cemetery?
I think a gentleman in NH donates the wreaths and volunteers place them.

TheLurker
12/10/2006, 09:02 PM
Don't they put a wreath on each grave at Arlington National Cemetery?
I think a gentleman in NH donates the wreaths and volunteers place them.
http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/wreaths-2005-photo-03.jpg
Christmas wreaths adorn head stones at Arlington National Cemetery. The 14th annual wreath laying event is the result of Worcester Wreath
Company's owner Morrill Worcester's, childhood dream of doing something to honor those laid to rest in the national cemetery.
More than 5,000 donated wreaths were placed by volunteers this year.
(U.S. Air Force photo by Master Sgt. Jim Varhegyi)