PDA

View Full Version : After going to the game Wed night.........

Sooner24
12/9/2006, 02:27 PM
and seeing another pathetic turn out I wonder if Jeff C is second guessing himself on taking the job?

Maybe Oklahoma fans are getting the kind of team they deserve. :(

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/9/2006, 02:36 PM
I have been saying that all year....I sure hope that are top rated PG doesn't actually come to or watch any of our games. I guess they are still too boring...

OUstud
12/9/2006, 03:04 PM
Dear athletic department: Please take away the connection between basketball tickets and OU-Texas football tickets. Basketball has nothing to do with football games in October. Quit being satisfied with sold out seasons with no fans to show for it, and start worrying about having 5,000 empty seats on national TV.

Warmly, OUstud

birddog
12/9/2006, 04:55 PM
i think capel will like the challenge of building a quality product and bringing excitement to the arena. i mean, he's coached here for 7-8 games with calvin's guys. things will get better during conference play and with a top 10 recruiting class coming in next year, capel will have the program going in the right direction.

geez, look at k-state right now.

King Crimson
12/9/2006, 05:21 PM
CU had 1000 people the other night against Pepperdine. i actually like going to CU games once the conference season rolls around to see the better teams in person......10 bucks gets you a GA ticket and a large nachos.

birddog
12/9/2006, 08:00 PM
CU had 1000 people the other night against Pepperdine. i actually like going to CU games once the conference season rolls around to see the better teams in person......10 bucks gets you a GA ticket and a large nachos.

i might have to head up there for a few this season. i've never been to a bball game up there.

StoopTroup
12/9/2006, 10:07 PM
I've hated the empty seat thing for a long time.

It's not Jeff's fault there is empty seats.

Ash
12/9/2006, 10:41 PM

[mostfans]But, it's boring basketball...I wanna see high octane...it sucks unless they score a bazillion points...I stopped watching after Billy left...[/most fans]

Sooner24
12/9/2006, 10:53 PM

I am not saying it's Jeff’s fault just that he might not have known what he was getting into with fan apathy.

I went to the game Wed. and the face value on the ticket was $60.00. I can just hear Joe C. looking around the LNC and saying, "Ticket prices must not be high enough yet because there are still some people here."

Remembering Tom Stidham
12/10/2006, 11:39 AM
Capel has done a phenomenal job. We are playing better defense and transitioning better than we ever did with Kelven. Last night the Maze boy got his first shot, and you saw what happened. We won't be great this season but we will finish higher than 10th in the Big 12.

King Crimson
12/10/2006, 02:42 PM
i might have to head up there for a few this season. i've never been to a bball game up there.

i don't know if i'd drive up from the Springs to Boulder (unless the Sooners were playing--though that one's in Norman this year). i used to live a 10 minute walk from the Events Center. If i were you, i might go check some AFA games. they've got some good w's this year. Stanford, CU, Wake Forest, and T Tech. the first 3 were total blowouts. fun to watch, and if you don't matchup with their Princeton thing.....they make it tough on you.

but, like i say. 10 bucks for a GA ticket and large nachos is a pretty good deal. the CEC is not long on atmosphere....i used to feel mildly depressed leaving some games when you could hear people having conversations on the other side of the gym but i'm over it.

they won't let you go into the lower section, but you can pretty much sit where you want.

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/10/2006, 05:44 PM
heh!

Capel has done a phenomenal job. We are playing better defense and transitioning better than we ever did with Kelven. Last night the Maze boy got his first shot, and you saw what happened. We won't be great this season but we will finish higher than 10th in the Big 12.

badger
12/10/2006, 09:09 PM
i think capel is more frustrated with his team than with the crowd. I wanna see more T's from this guy (evil smile)

Ash
12/10/2006, 09:42 PM
i think capel is more frustrated with his team than with the crowd. I wanna see more T's from this guy (evil smile)

sure seemed like it

badger
12/10/2006, 09:52 PM
he really seems like a good guy that will be a great coach down the road... but... welll...

Let's just come out and say it: Is it a problem when a coach acts more like a friend and big brother to players than a businessman and father figure to players?

birddog
12/10/2006, 10:11 PM
he really seems like a good guy that will be a great coach down the road... but... welll...

Let's just come out and say it: Is it a problem when a coach acts more like a friend and big brother to players than a businessman and father figure to players?

there are many different coaching styles. capel has proven he can get alot out of his players when you look at his history at vcu.

it also looks like he can recruit quite well, so let's see what he does after he gets a year under his belt and coaches more than 8 games.

but yeah, it can be a bad thing if your players don't respect you and atleast have a degree of "fear" from their coach. not bobby knight fear but the mindset that you don't want to let your coach down.

badger
12/10/2006, 10:22 PM
We need motivation... motivation to drive to the basket, motivation to get back on D, motivation to hold onto the ball and not give it to the other team or that pesky "out of bounds" area.

Suggestions:
-cage around court like old school days to prevent turnovers
-threat of running lines for each point given up in a game to prevent lack of defense
-the chance to punch the Horse Pig each time you make a shot inside the three point line to prevent players from avoiding the paint.

What else can you do? There is SOMETHING preventing them from doing what is necessary to win big games!

birddog
12/11/2006, 12:10 AM
beating Out of Bounds just might raise our RPI.

Ash
12/11/2006, 12:33 AM
We need motivation... motivation to drive to the basket, motivation to get back on D, motivation to hold onto the ball and not give it to the other team or that pesky "out of bounds" area.

Suggestions:
-cage around court like old school days to prevent turnovers
-threat of running lines for each point given up in a game to prevent lack of defense
-the chance to punch the Horse Pig each time you make a shot inside the three point line to prevent players from avoiding the paint.

What else can you do? There is SOMETHING preventing them from doing what is necessary to win big games!

I like it. I suggest you write Coach Capel with this one. :D

Ash
12/11/2006, 12:37 AM
In terms of coaching styles. I agree, there's more than one way.

I don't believe that trying to scare or intimidate the players is always the best way either. I've ranted about Fran Franshcilla before on this board, well that was his style. He'd cuss the players up and down, calling them effin a-holes and the like. Most practices he did nothing but drill on defense. He had some good wins, but alot of bad losses and players going to the press about how they were verbally abused.

Dean Smith and John Wooden, totally opposite style. Not necessarily a buddy, but never resorted to verbally bullying players. They were respected, not feared by players.

Heck, Petey the evil SUC coach is a 'buddy' kind of coach, he seems to be getting OK results (other than a couple games this year).

Ultimately, the players have to find it in themselves to get the job done.

birddog
12/11/2006, 01:03 AM
well, that's why i mentioned bobby knight. i've played for different coaches and the one i think got the best out of me was the one that made me feel pressure to play my best. he wasn't afraid to call me out if i made a mistake and it made me focus on doing my best every night out.

i should hsve palyed college ball for him but i chose a coach that became my drinking buddy in college and my abilities regressed because i wasn't pressured to stay mentally focused in training or games.

i personally feel you have to approach each player differently because every athlete has certain buttons that need to be pushed to get the most out of them.

that's what capel should focus on. remember, he hasn't spent a whole helluva lot of time with his players yet.

Ash
12/11/2006, 01:09 AM
well, that's why i mentioned bobby knight. i've played for different coaches and the one i think got the best out of me was the one that made me feel pressure to play my best. he wasn't afraid to call me out if i made a mistake and it made me focus on doing my best every night out.

i should hsve palyed college ball for him but i chose a coach that became my drinking buddy in college and my abilities regressed because i wasn't pressured to stay mentally focused in training or games.

i personally feel you have to approach each player differently because every athlete has certain buttons that need to be pushed to get the most out of them.

that's what capel should focus on. remember, he hasn't spent a whole helluva lot of time with his players yet.

Good points.

I don't see Capel as a guy who would totally baby his players. He actually strikes me more as the Stoops type: no nonsense. Of course, I've never seen him when he's not on the court or in front of the camera.

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/11/2006, 06:53 AM
It is little things that make a great coach. Like take the Bulls back in Phil Jackson's first year. He knew everyone respected Horace Grant because he was quiet and always showed up. So Phil started riding Horace really hard in practices and at games. Then people like Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen started telling him to ignore Phil he wasn't the one playing the game and they all rallied around Horace and it boosted his confidence knowing that Michael and Scottie believed in him. It is mostly knowing your players and manipulating them to get the best out of them. Capel kind of reminds me of Doc Rivers, he looks like he will smile and joke around with you but when it is time to get serious, its time to get REAL serious.

Stoop Dawg
12/11/2006, 03:31 PM
Capel has done a phenomenal job. We are playing better defense and transitioning better than we ever did with Kelven.

Wow.

NormanPride
12/11/2006, 03:56 PM
You know, I went to the Coppin State game. It was awful. The crowd, considering, wasn't terrible size-wise but the team certainly was. The first half completely killed any chance that the crowd would get into the game. I never heard boos, but there was a lot of disappointed groaning and we actually had to cheer to try and make the team feel better about its pathetic performance at some points. I honestly felt bad for those kids, because they were really trying.

The second half really wasn't much better until about 10 minutes left, when for some strange reason we started actually feeding the post and getting our guards inside the three point line. When the offense stopped turning the ball over, the crowd got back into the game. You can say what you want about our crowd, but how many arenas out there would fill up and cheer all the way through for a performance like that?

Normally I'd say our problem is a football mindset - we want to be silent on offense so that our players can concentrate, and there's just not enough time to get loud on D when the game moves as fast as it does sometimes. Maybe if the SoonerMen from the football games start coming the attitude will be infectuous... I hope so!

royalfan5
12/11/2006, 07:13 PM
It is little things that make a great coach. Like take the Bulls back in Phil Jackson's first year. He knew everyone respected Horace Grant because he was quiet and always showed up. So Phil started riding Horace really hard in practices and at games. Then people like Michael Jordan and Scottie Pippen started telling him to ignore Phil he wasn't the one playing the game and they all rallied around Horace and it boosted his confidence knowing that Michael and Scottie believed in him. It is mostly knowing your players and manipulating them to get the best out of them. Capel kind of reminds me of Doc Rivers, he looks like he will smile and joke around with you but when it is time to get serious, its time to get REAL serious.
I don't think it's a good sign if your Coach reminds you of a bad NBA coach. Rivers is useless as coach.

Soonerborn03
12/12/2006, 10:26 AM
Maybe if the SoonerMen from the football games start coming the attitude will be infectuous... I hope so!Sorry, but I believe the SoonerMen are all drunken tool boxes that don't give two ****s about any other sport on campus than football. At least, that's my take on the SoonerMen group.

Stoop Dawg
12/12/2006, 12:03 PM
So you didn't make the cut, huh?

NormanPride
12/12/2006, 02:51 PM
Sorry, but I believe the SoonerMen are all drunken tool boxes that don't give two ****s about any other sport on campus than football. At least, that's my take on the SoonerMen group.

Considering they're a Christian group, I very much doubt they're drunk.

Taxman71
12/12/2006, 02:53 PM
I have been to every B-ball game this year and the saddest part is the students. I understand the difficulty for many in getting to Norman on a weeknight, etc., but there is no excuse for the student section to be as crappy as it is. Even the floor-standing section doesn't have students in there. While I am truly embarrassed by the poor donor turnout, the student turnout are much worse IMO. Can't they just turn the video game off for 2 1/2 freaking hours?

And, please, screen the 3 point shooting contestants ever once in a while to see if they have ever actually shot a basketball before. Watching some spaz struggle to get the ball to the rim is a real downer.

NormanPride
12/12/2006, 03:18 PM
I've long thought that the powers-that-be should open the lower levels to the GA crowd that can't get LL tickets. The same could apply for the student section as well.

But no, every time we go, we get some old lady telling us we can't go down there because it's reserved seating. Even though there's only 10 people in the building. :mad:

Taxman71
12/12/2006, 03:33 PM
I've long thought that the powers-that-be should open the lower levels to the GA crowd that can't get LL tickets. The same could apply for the student section as well.

But no, every time we go, we get some old lady telling us we can't go down there because it's reserved seating. Even though there's only 10 people in the building. :mad:

Funny, I sit in the lower level about half the time and the security guards always tell me to sit anywhere I want so it looks better on TV! Of course, getting down there is the hard part. Once your there, you can come and go at will.

I can see why they don't want to usher a thousand people out of their seats when the ticketholders show up 20 minutes late, but something needs to be done to allow the regular attendees to sit in the lower level instead of all the invisible people.

poke4christ
12/12/2006, 04:01 PM
I've got to warn you guys, there is a movement going to get Llyod Noble decked out in orange for the ****** game in Norman. I'm not too proud to say that I'm helping get it going by creating a facebook group that now has over 300 members.

I'm not saying this to rub it in or anything, I'm saying this to encourage you guys to get out and stop it. Tickets for ****** go on sale 12/14. Get your tickets and come out in force to support your team. I'll be in the student section with an OU friend of mine and I'm hoping for a great game. Anyway, it's still probably too early for this post, but good luck this season. I hope attendance goes up.

Taxman71
12/12/2006, 04:59 PM
Don't worry, we always have a sellout crowd for the pukes, tejas and Kansas. Most would rather watch the rest of the games at home.

OUstud
12/12/2006, 06:22 PM
Here's one thing I don't understand:

My family has 3 season tickets. Me, my dad, and my brother or friends try to make it down to games as much as we can. For big games, my mom wants to go (making her one of those "I only go to Aggy, Saxet, and KU games" people :( ). So on the big games, I'll sometimes bring a friend and buy those sweet $20 GA tickets that clearly say "you can sit anywhere in the upper level after tipoff". Well, seeing that the section above the doors on the N side is empty, we try to sit there, only to be told by some pimply faced "usher" that these are student seats. (Which again is another reason to get student seats out of the upper level). :mad: They really could do just the littlest things to make that a sweet place to watch a basketball game.

Sooner24
12/12/2006, 07:07 PM
I have been to every B-ball game this year and the saddest part is the students. I understand the difficulty for many in getting to Norman on a weeknight, etc., but there is no excuse for the student section to be as crappy as it is. Even the floor-standing section doesn't have students in there. While I am truly embarrassed by the poor donor turnout, the student turnout are much worse IMO. Can't they just turn the video game off for 2 1/2 freaking hours?

And, please, screen the 3 point shooting contestants ever once in a while to see if they have ever actually shot a basketball before. Watching some spaz struggle to get the ball to the rim is a real downer.

That guy at the Nova game was a true spaz. My 75 year old mother could do as good a job as he did. No, make that a better job then he did. :D

badger
12/12/2006, 09:32 PM
don't blame the students. they have a sh*tty, SH*TTY student section at women's basketball games that just got axed in half in favor of the ticket-buying donors that politely crap...er, I mean CLAP after points.

and the men's student section? Let's see... toss a few good seats to them on both sides... add a section here... and another little section here... and we have our non-connected, dysfunctional student section.

WTF?!?! do they WANT student support or not? give them a decent section, let them stand and cheer together and maybe THEN you'll get some crowd reaction!

(however, for every reaction, you first need an action)

Sooner24
12/12/2006, 09:56 PM
don't blame the students. they have a sh*tty, SH*TTY student section at women's basketball games that just got axed in half in favor of the ticket-buying donors that politely crap...er, I mean CLAP after points.

and the men's student section? Let's see... toss a few good seats to them on both sides... add a section here... and another little section here... and we have our non-connected, dysfunctional student section.

WTF?!?! do they WANT student support or not? give them a decent section, let them stand and cheer together and maybe THEN you'll get some crowd reaction!

(however, for every reaction, you first need an action)

The crowd at the womens games are rowdy.

OUstud
12/13/2006, 04:04 PM
Anyone see in the DO the fans that complained that they were mistreated at a women's game by ushers? They kept trying to sit in an almost completely empty section that was changed from student to donor, and they kept kicking them out. People need to send more complaints in to the athletic dept., maybe they'll do something about it.

OSUAggie
12/13/2006, 04:09 PM
This is pathetic.... LNC used to be a good atmosphere... Now it's a WAC arena.

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/13/2006, 04:26 PM
You have obviously never been to a WAC arena...they totally Pwn LNC right now ;)

OU James
12/13/2006, 05:12 PM
i know what we need...we need to start sucking *** at football again so more people care, ala osu.

TopDawg
12/13/2006, 05:18 PM
Sorry, but I believe the SoonerMen are all drunken tool boxes that don't give two ****s about any other sport on campus than football. At least, that's my take on the SoonerMen group.

Well, you're wrong. But thanks for playing. :D

usmc-sooner
12/13/2006, 05:51 PM
This is pathetic.... LNC used to be a good atmosphere... Now it's a WAC arena.

it's almost the Lewis Field of basketball arenas

OSUAggie
12/14/2006, 11:09 AM
Lewis Field doesn't exist... and the place you're referring to is a lot better atmosphere for football than LNC is for basketball.

GottaHavePride
12/14/2006, 11:28 AM
Lewis Field doesn't exist... and the place you're referring to is a lot better atmosphere for football than LNC is for basketball.

Heh. Total Aggie mind-set. I guarantee you that regardless of who pays to put their name on OU's stadium, we'll ALWAYS call it Owen Field.

You don't **** on tradition for money.

poke4christ
12/14/2006, 12:32 PM
Technically, it's still Lewis Field, they just renamed the stadium (now that we actually have one, and not bleachers). As for the comparison between it and LNA, We all know they both could do better, so I'll leave it at that.

GottaHavePride
12/14/2006, 12:47 PM
Technically, it's still Lewis Field, they just renamed the stadium (now that we actually have one, and not bleachers). As for the comparison between it and LNA, We all know they both could do better, so I'll leave it at that.

Oh, I've ranted several times on here that I think Lloyd Noble is a craptastically designed building. I'd like to knock the whole thing over and build and honest basketball arena, not some sort of multipurpose venue. I wish they hadn't put in the awesome new practice facilities - I'd really like to see it relocated somewhere closer to the rest of campus.

TopDawg
12/14/2006, 01:05 PM
Oh, I've ranted several times on here that I think Lloyd Noble is a craptastically designed building. I'd like to knock the whole thing over and build and honest basketball arena, not some sort of multipurpose venue. I wish they hadn't put in the awesome new practice facilities - I'd really like to see it relocated somewhere closer to the rest of campus.

It would've been nice to have done something Gallagher Iba-esque and build around the existing fieldhouse. Unfortunately we're kinda anchored down there now, though, with the new practice facilities, like you said. Fortunately, however, campus is growing that direction, so maybe in 10 more years it won't feel like it's essentially off-campus.

poke4christ
12/14/2006, 01:07 PM

Agreed. OU could really use a new arena. that might help get the fans going a little more too. Isn't there still room out by the IPF? They wouldn't have th parking, but I think it would help add more atmosphere to the area. Besides, who need parking lots? It's not like the have them for football games :D. Also, Though I kind of like the idea of digging out the arena, I think it looks better when it's more imposing. Build that thing up loud and proud.

Any chance of this actually happening? It would at least be nice for LNC to get some better interior lighting.

poke4christ
12/14/2006, 01:10 PM
Here's the google map of the area. Don't know how up to date it is though. Think they could squeze it in over on the right?

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=norman,+ok&ie=UTF8&t=k&om=1&z=17&ll=35.205637,-97.438989&spn=0.004024,0.010664&iwloc=addr

TopDawg
12/14/2006, 01:17 PM
That's the duck pond. I doubt anything will be going over there anytime soon. We've probably gone as far east as we'll go on that part of campus. Most of our growth now is south, down around the Lloyd Noble.

King Crimson
12/14/2006, 02:00 PM
the practice facilities were kind of a knee jerk reaction after the Final Four team....to show a commitment to Kelvin and Sherri** and keep him from taking a look around. in hindsight, it kind of sucks because the facilities are an albatross now. the LNC was OK and typical as a reflection of its time--the 80's. I'd really like to see the university concede that it got it's moneys worth with the LNC and look forward. ATM's newish gym has played a major role in drawing fans, recruits, and Gillespie. Mizzou's new arena will likely contribute to their being a competitor in the conference.

it's kind of shallow and i will always maintain the function of the university is education first and not athletic spectacle.....but supply side economics and all the new shiny stuff is how the game is played these days if you are gonna play.

edit: Sherri deserves mention too, since the women had an equally great run that year.

poke4christ
12/14/2006, 02:20 PM
Were are the practice facilities for Basketball at? Are they the buildings right next to LNC?

OSUAggie
12/14/2006, 04:08 PM
Yeah, south side.

NormanPride
12/14/2006, 04:11 PM
Attached.

Stoop Dawg
12/14/2006, 04:47 PM
What's the building just north of the Huffman center? Relocate Huffman center to the other side of the dorms (west side - have to demo a few houses) and build a bball arena just south of the stadium.

TD is right, on top of the field house would be awesome, but I'm not sure there's room to expand. I'm thinking that huge power facility isn't going anywhere.

OUstud
12/14/2006, 09:09 PM
We don't need a new arena. What needs to be done is: moving the entire student section to the North baseline, extend seats down closer to the floor (instead of risors), better lighting, better music, and no carpet on the walls.

TopDawg
12/14/2006, 10:18 PM
What's the building just north of the Huffman center? Relocate Huffman center to the other side of the dorms (west side - have to demo a few houses) and build a bball arena just south of the stadium.

TD is right, on top of the field house would be awesome, but I'm not sure there's room to expand. I'm thinking that huge power facility isn't going anywhere.

They won't be moving Huffman anytime soon either, what with all the additions they've made there recently (almost doubling in size within the last 5-7 years).

Even still, it doesn't seem too out of the ordinary to build a new arena on the parking lot just east of Cate Center and south of the stadium. They'd probably have to build a parking garage to make up for the loss of parking spots, but why not? It'd be great to have an arena that close to the dorms. I'm not sure what those old barracks are used for these days, but whatever it is could probably be moved.

GottaHavePride
12/14/2006, 10:46 PM
We don't need a new arena. What needs to be done is: moving the entire student section to the North baseline, extend seats down closer to the floor (instead of risors), better lighting, better music, and no carpet on the walls.

Heh. right now the lighting is 1000 times better than it was when I got here in 1998. Back then we seriously thought we were going to have some of those old, nasty ceiling tiles fall on us at games. Actually, I think I DID see one of them fall one time. MUCH better on that front now.

What I've heard says they can't get seats any closer to the court because they can't lower the floor any more. Water table. Actually, LNC could work ok if they'd leave the practice facilities and such but knock over the actual arena part and re-build it from the ground up. Maybe if Capel can actually get some support here he can push for that.

OUstud
12/14/2006, 11:37 PM
Yeah, it was dark in 1998 too but still...when you're there it's fine but on TV with the maroon padded seats you can barely see 5 rows up.

poke4christ
12/15/2006, 07:59 AM
Heh. right now the lighting is 1000 times better than it was when I got here in 1998. Back then we seriously thought we were going to have some of those old, nasty ceiling tiles fall on us at games. Actually, I think I DID see one of them fall one time. MUCH better on that front now.

What I've heard says they can't get seats any closer to the court because they can't lower the floor any more. Water table. Actually, LNC could work ok if they'd leave the practice facilities and such but knock over the actual arena part and re-build it from the ground up. Maybe if Capel can actually get some support here he can push for that.

Only problem with that is that OU would have to play somewhere else during construction. They would probably end up in the old cox center. They might make the ford center though. Depends on if we have an NBA team.

OSUAggie
12/15/2006, 11:45 AM
They can probably play in the fieldhouse and then they could sell it out every night... Maybe.

Taxman71
12/15/2006, 12:00 PM
Back then we seriously thought we were going to have some of those old, nasty ceiling tiles fall on us at games. Actually, I think I DID see one of them fall one time.
KISS concert back in the 1980's

stoopified
12/18/2006, 06:01 PM
[mostfans]But, it's boring basketball...I wanna see high octane...it sucks unless they score a bazillion points...I stopped watching after Billy left...[/most fans]
Apparently you forgetting how many half-empty LNC games were played under Billy.He played a lot of non D-1 schools in fall semester and there were MANY empty seats.Attendance would pick up during conference ,just like it did with KS and like it will with Capel.Regaedless of the coach OU will wlways be a football first school. Look at the number of posts and threads on the football board vs.the basketball board if you need further evidence.This is even more telling when you realize that the last 26 years have been the GOLDEN AGE of OU basketball.This inequity will likekly continue unless.of course we suffer another LOST DECADE.

OUstud
12/18/2006, 09:10 PM
Look, I don't think we need to have a totally packed house for every game...it's when there are still empty seats for the marquee games (like there have been throughout the lower level the past couple of years vs. Texas and Aggy) that there's a problem.

Ash
12/18/2006, 11:08 PM
Apparently you forgetting how many half-empty LNC games were played under Billy.He played a lot of non D-1 schools in fall semester and there were MANY empty seats.Attendance would pick up during conference ,just like it did with KS and like it will with Capel.Regaedless of the coach OU will wlways be a football first school. Look at the number of posts and threads on the football board vs.the basketball board if you need further evidence.This is even more telling when you realize that the last 26 years have been the GOLDEN AGE of OU basketball.This inequity will likekly continue unless.of course we suffer another LOST DECADE.

Don't worry, I haven't forgotten anything that you mention. But it is something I've heard more often than not: "I wish we could have Billy back." "Man, when Billy was here, at least it was entertaining." "Bring back Billy Ball!"

I even remember during the coaching search before Capel was hired hearing over and over again: "Do you think we could get Billy to coach again?" "Bring back Billy!"

I have nothing against him or his style of play, but get over it people.

Also, the fact that Sampson had a Final Four under his belt was more of an accomplishment than people here are willing to give him credit for...

Eddie Sutton is a legend in college basketball coaching...how many Final Fours and NCs does he have?

:pop:

birddog
12/19/2006, 10:16 AM
boy, i bet that place was 'lectric against ut-a!!

anyone going to the all-college? i'm gonna try to drive in and get there for the 3-something tip off. who does osu play in the night capper?

Salt City Sooner
12/19/2006, 03:28 PM
Pittsburgh.

HateTheWhorns
2/9/2007, 05:00 PM

Good call RTS. Some of us thought you were looney on this one.