PDA

View Full Version : Another of America's "Greatest Generation" passes.

sooner n houston
12/9/2006, 11:48 AM
My father Ralph Franklin Wilcox born May 16, 1917 died today at St. Johns Medical Center in Tulsa. He was 89 years old. Born in Dallas Texas his family soon moved to Caddo, Ok. where he grew up. He was a lfie long Sooner fan!

He was truly one of the greatest generation. Born during WWI he also experienced the great depression and served in WWII. He was one of those men, spawned during those tough times, who was mentally and physically tough yet could be compassionate and kind though he often had a hard time showing it. He loved the Lord and attended Carbondale Baptist church for 55 years.

Much to his shame he never left the states during WWII, serving his country as a truck driver. Joining the Army on December 8, 1941 he was rushed through boot camp so he could begin serving because there was a desperate need for truck drivers.

He had played baseball for the St. Louis Cardinals before the war, quiting because he could make more money driving a 7-UP truck.

After the war he returned to truck driving for several years. He moved back to Dallas where his family had moved. He was married and divorced while there. While visiting family in Durant, he met my mother. She took a job in Bartlesville at Phillips 66 and he followed her there where they soon married.

Dad found a job at the DX refinery, now owned by SUNOCO, in Tulsa and mom transferred there with Phillips. He retired from the refinery at 65 and spent the next 10 years or so enjoying his retirement. They bought a motor home and a bass boat and spent a lot of time traveling and fishing. They particularly enjoyed Broken Bow and spent many months there. When he could no longer handle the boat he sold it and the motor home. They still traveled some enjoying their grand children and other family.

My dad was a powerful man, while only 5'10" tall, he had massive hands, arms and chest. His hands were especially big and something you would immediately notice if you should meet him. I think playing catcher for many years had deformed them in a strange way making his knuckles especially large.

Over the last two years dad's health began to really take a toll on him. He was unable to walk far so he began using a power chair. It was tough seeing him that way and he hated it. In May he had a stroke. He lost a lot of his mental capabilities and was never the same. Sunday he had a second stroke. This one disabled 75% of his brain and paralyzed him as well. We had to make the decision to not artificially prolong his life.

There were times during my youth that I hated him too. I had no understanding of what he had been through and saw him through the eyes of a rebellious teenager.

This is for my dad. Whom I loved greatly. May he be a peace and thank God his suffering is over.

usmc-sooner
12/9/2006, 12:04 PM
sounds like a great man, I'm sorry for your loss s-n-h

Sooner_Bob
12/9/2006, 12:05 PM
Prays for you and yours . . . he sounds like he was a great dad.

slickdawg
12/9/2006, 12:13 PM
Sorry for your loss SNH, sounds like your dad was indeed a great man.

PhxSooner
12/9/2006, 12:13 PM
Condolences and prayers to you and your family.

sooneron
12/9/2006, 12:28 PM
Condolences to you and your's.

nmsoonergirl
12/9/2006, 12:30 PM
So sorry for your loss. Your family is in my thoughts.

SCOUT
12/9/2006, 12:33 PM
I am truly sorry for your loss. Thanks for sharing.

Tailwind
12/9/2006, 12:33 PM
So sad to lose a nother great man. Blessings to you and your family.

royalfan5
12/9/2006, 12:38 PM
My condolences

Okla-homey
12/9/2006, 12:38 PM
Great man. Great Okie. I bet right now he's red-balling through the Pearly Gates hauling a tank trailer of high-octane, doing 90MPH with Red Sovine blasting on the a.m. radio.

StoopTroup
12/9/2006, 12:45 PM
Sounds like he left a great Legacy in you SnH....

My Condolences.

God Bless you and your Family during this time of such great loss.

ST

jk the sooner fan
12/9/2006, 12:56 PM
what a great tribute, thanks for sharing that. condolences and prayers to you and your family right now

Howzit
12/9/2006, 12:58 PM
So sorry snh...may every parent be blessed with a child that loves them as you did your father. I'm sure he loved you just as much.

Tiptonsooner
12/9/2006, 02:25 PM
My condolences, sounds like the world lost a great one. He is now in a better place.

Mixer!
12/9/2006, 04:11 PM
Condolences, s n h.

picasso
12/9/2006, 06:45 PM
God bless your father.

King Crimson
12/9/2006, 07:00 PM
good on ya. my granddad died in 99 with a purple heart and air corps medal of honor. flew on the highest casualty missions in WW II, Ploesti etc.

i still miss him. he was a great man.

best always for your Dad houston.

TUSooner
12/9/2006, 07:03 PM
Great tribute. Sorry for your loss. God bless him!

Chuck Bao
12/9/2006, 07:11 PM
Thanks for sharing that tribute, SNH.

Condolences and prayers for you and your family.

Newbomb Turk
12/9/2006, 07:25 PM
Sounds like a great man. Sorry for your loss, and may he rest in peace.

85Sooner
12/9/2006, 08:16 PM
Condolences to you and your entire family. He Does sound like a great man. The world will be a worse place without him. Not many of us will be able to say we served the way he did. God Bless

olevetonahill
12/9/2006, 09:05 PM
Those who served at home . ALSO served
I lost My dad in 92 , he was 74
Id say youve done him proud
thanks for sharing

sooner n houston
12/9/2006, 11:45 PM
Just wanted to thank y'all for your kind comments and prayers. May God bless you all.

Thank you!

AUGUSTUS-CAESAR
12/10/2006, 02:21 AM
Graduated HS from Bennington (near Caddo) and college in Durant (Southeastern). Sad to hear about the passing of a fine man. My condolences.

Jerk
12/10/2006, 11:12 AM
<--just wanted to say sorry about losing your dad.

BoogercountySooner
12/10/2006, 09:39 PM
Prayers for you and your family. God will keep an eye on him until you see him someday!

BlondeSoonerGirl
12/11/2006, 09:18 AM
:(

SOONERKAT
12/11/2006, 12:18 PM
From one Sooner in Houston to another, my condolences.