PDA

View Full Version : Lakeland HS wins it's 3rd straight 5-A Championship. Long read, but what a game!

OUinFLA
12/8/2006, 10:47 PM
I got home in time to watch the 4th qtr of this game on tv.
GAme is being played at Dolphin stadium.

Lakeland Dreadnaughts are playing St Thomas Aquinas and for the 4th time the teams are meeting in the State 5-A championship game. Lakeland has won all three previous meetings. Lakeland has a 44 game winning streak and is the two time defending State Champion.

Lkl was ahead 21-0 at the start of the 4th. A coaster it seems for sure, but... not so fast my football friends!

St Thomas Aquinas scored with about 7 mins left.
On the first series after a failed onsides kickoff, Chris Rainey(Lkl) ran for about 45 yds for a td.
Lkl 28 STA 7

On the first series after the next ko. STA ran for 55 yds for a td.
Lkl 28 STA 14

Another failed onsides kick and Lkl scores on a 3rd and 7 from the 40. Again, it was Chris Rainey.
Lkl 35 STA 14 with 3 mins left

On the ensuing ko by Lkl, STA quickly runs the ball to the Lkl 10 in 3 plays and scores 3 plays later
Lkl 35 STA 21 with 1:47 left in game.

STA has a successful onsides kick recovered at the Lkl 38 yrd line.
with 1:32 left in the game STA makes a terrific pass completion to the 3 1/2 yd line. and runs it in with 1:28 to play.
Lkl 35 STA 28

STA makes yet another successful onsides kick and recovers the ball on the Lkl 31 yd line. No time outs remaining for either team. the refs call a very questionable late hit out of bounds call agaist Lakeland, giving STA a 1st down on the Lkl 15. STA scores on the next play.
Lkl 35 STA 35 44 secs left in the game.
At this point STA has scored 35 pts in the 4th qtr.

Game goes to overtime.
Each team gets 4 plays from the 10 and one timeout.

Lkl wins the toss and choses to defend.
STA scores a td in two plays. STA 42 Lkl 35
on the second play Lakeland's superstar Chris Rainey gets knocked out of bounds at the 3 and hurts his shoulder diving for the end zone. at this point he has 272 yds rushing.
Lkl scores on the next play.
STA 42 Lkl 42

second overtime

Lkl on offense first.
Rainey comes back in the game. No gain on his first run. left shoulder is hurting. Rainey for 5 up the middle. pass to rainey for 3. fg is good.
Lkl 45 STA 42.

STA false start. 5 yd penalty.
run for 2. pass for 7. pass for 4. STA goes for it on 4th from the 2 and fail. They get to the 1/2 yd line.

Lakeland wins it's 3rd consecutive Florida 5-A Championship.
Lkl has now won 45 games in a row.

This is my first opportunity to watch Chris Rainey, the young man that has been at the center of a lot of controversy this week. I gotta tell you the kid is a runner. He is careful about picking his holes, waits on his blockers and can turn on the afterburners when he sees an opening in a heartbeat. If he gets his personal life in control and can make it academically, he will be a college star. Good luck to you young man.

Flagstaffsooner
12/8/2006, 10:51 PM
So, what's the latest on Bomar Jr's eligiblity?

OUinFLA
12/8/2006, 11:07 PM
Well, the Lakeland HS cleared him to play.
The state FHSAA is investigating and wont have a ruling for maybe 2 weeks.
If they rule that Rainey was in violation of the rules, Lakeland will be stripped of it's current title and have to forfeit.
I guess it a chance the principal was willing to take based on his own investigation. The saga is not over yet, Im sure.
But the boy sure put on a show in the game.