PDA

View Full Version : ESPN says Peterson to play

MI Sooner
12/8/2006, 10:31 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2691671

Hope this isn't old news.

starrca23
12/8/2006, 10:34 PM
Just saw that and started looking for a thread. Good news. I'm gonna check the Boise State boards.

Blues1
12/8/2006, 10:34 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2691671

Hope this isn't old news.

You Did Good...................... :)

Widescreen
12/8/2006, 10:44 PM
It's like ESPN is clairvoyant or something. Is there anything they don't know? ;)

St. Louis Sooner
12/8/2006, 10:45 PM
Don'tcha gist get the warm fuzzy all over that AD is gonna run roughshod on the spuds?!!! U just know he's gonna want to finish with a flourish ...

Man ... i'm juiced for this game now!!!

Texas Golfer
12/8/2006, 11:11 PM
His freshman year, he runs for over 1900 yards.

His sophomore season, he only plays in virtually 7 games and still leads all running backs in the Big XII.

His junior season, he only plays in only 6 games and still finishes second in the Big XII.

Anyone who says AD isn't worth all of his hype is either lying or knows nothing.

BoomerGirl34
12/8/2006, 11:14 PM
I think he busts out for 200+ in Glendale! WELCOME BACK, A.D.!

Here's a link :

http://hub.ou.edu/articles/article.php?item_id=603430154

The Preach Man
12/9/2006, 08:40 AM

His sophomore season, he only plays in virtually 7 games and still leads all running backs in the Big XII.

His junior season, he only plays in only 6 games and still finishes second in the Big XII.

Anyone who says AD isn't worth all of his hype is either lying or knows nothing.

EXACTLY!!!!

kruss1971
12/9/2006, 08:56 AM
So true...

Sco
12/9/2006, 09:28 AM

I think the crazier thing is this: AD's only had virtually two seasons of healthy playing time with the Sooners - and he's only 150 yards away from breaking the school rushing record set by Billy Sims, who was at the university for four years. Wow.

stoopified
12/9/2006, 11:13 AM

Anyone who says AD isn't worth all of his hype is either lying or knows nothing.True dat.

Texas Golfer
12/9/2006, 11:52 AM
His freshman year, he runs for 1925 yards in 13 games. He plays in 14 games his entire sophomore and junior years and gets 2000 more and still has a game left. Could you imagine where he'd be after his junior year had he'd been physically able to have full seasons?

Widescreen
12/9/2006, 12:05 PM
I think the crazier thing is this: AD's only had virtually two seasons of healthy playing time with the Sooners - and he's only 150 yards away from breaking the school rushing record set by Billy Sims, who was at the university for four years. Wow.
You have to remember that AD gets a lot more carries than Billy did. That's not a knock on AD, but it's a very different offense than we ran with the wishbone.

CatfishSooner
12/9/2006, 01:18 PM
AD is back baby!

OK2LA
12/9/2006, 01:29 PM
If it's reported by ESPN - it must be true!

(Although, I did hear that he practiced yesterday in full body armor.)

SoonerStampede1218
12/9/2006, 01:36 PM
This is awesome news!! I can't wait to see AD play one more game!

Stitch Face
12/9/2006, 01:41 PM
I honestly can't see how anyone might think he wouldn't play. It'd be like blowing a tire on your car, replacing it, then not driving it because you might blow another tire. Whaddya gonna do, call in sick forever?

OK2LA
12/9/2006, 01:44 PM
Whaddya gonna do, call in sick forever?

You obviously haven't dealt with a union before

FlatheadSooner
12/9/2006, 01:50 PM
AD is back baby!

http://adrian-peterson.com/adrian-peterson-2006-he-is-back.html

:cool:

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/9/2006, 02:03 PM
what is his record in those games he's played the last 2 seasons? ;)

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/9/2006, 02:32 PM
Didn't you guys hear that AD is like the Secretariat of running backs...he was born to run baby ;)

SoonerInKCMO
12/9/2006, 02:56 PM
You have to remember that AD gets a lot more carries than Billy did. That's not a knock on AD, but it's a very different offense than we ran with the wishbone.

One also should remember that Sims had his own injury problems and only played two full seasons. He had less than 600 yards coming into his Junior year.

Indy Sooner
12/9/2006, 03:51 PM
One also should remember that Sims had his own injury problems and only played two full seasons. He had less than 600 yards coming into his Junior year.

My guess is most on this board aren't old enough to remember that...

tru2ou
12/9/2006, 11:29 PM
The story doesnt say he's going to play, it only says he's been cleared to play. Big difference.

Until I hear it from AD and his dad, I'm not sold he's going to actually play. If he's going pro next year, I wouldnt hold it against the kid to not play in the bowl game. It just wouldnt be worth it.

- TRU

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/9/2006, 11:35 PM
i would. if he chooses not to play he's no different than marcus dupree

Mjcpr
12/9/2006, 11:45 PM

How the hell are those two the same?

If you said Shawn Andrews, you might have something.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/10/2006, 12:03 AM
cause they both would have quit. if he is cleared to play and he chooses not too, he shouldn't be on the bowl trip and he shouldn't be associated with the program.

Mjcpr
12/10/2006, 12:11 AM
I don't think he owes us anything. I'd be disappointed if he didn't play too, but you're talking about potentially risking millions of dollars and your future by playing in that game. I hope he plays and I think he will, but if he didn't, he's just looking our for himself....just like all of us do every day.

TrophyCollector
12/10/2006, 12:30 AM

WTF? AD is going to the USFL????

shavedmarmoset
12/10/2006, 12:59 AM
AD will play. He will, because he's a competitor, he practiced on Friday, and because running the football was what he was meant to do.

85sooners
12/10/2006, 01:03 AM
AD is good at running the ball

Ash
12/10/2006, 01:06 AM
"He's cleared to play," Stoops said. "We're going to give him more as we lead up to the game and [I] fully expect him to play. He's anxious to play and wants to."

Sounds like he's going to play to me.

In terms of the injury, it was a freak injury but even so, most people realize that shoulder injuries happen in football. It's not like he blew out a knee or had a hip injury or something that was career threatening.

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/10/2006, 01:59 AM
I don't think he owes us anything. I'd be disappointed if he didn't play too, but you're talking about potentially risking millions of dollars and your future by playing in that game. I hope he plays and I think he will, but if he didn't, he's just looking our for himself....just like all of us do every day.

yep, so were charles thompson, rhett bomar, and the boz (yes, his book still irritates me). if money is more important than your legacy with OU, then don't expect me to support you.

Texas Golfer
12/10/2006, 03:02 AM
The story doesnt say he's going to play, it only says he's been cleared to play. Big difference.

Until I hear it from AD and his dad, I'm not sold he's going to actually play. If he's going pro next year, I wouldnt hold it against the kid to not play in the bowl game. It just wouldnt be worth it.

- TRU

He'll play and he'll play well and he'll break the record.

RacerX
12/10/2006, 07:40 AM
but Billy will still be better.

Vaevictis
12/10/2006, 07:49 AM
but Billy will still be better.

Does AD have Boomer-tourrette's syndrome? I think not! :D

Mjcpr
12/10/2006, 11:47 AM
yep, so were charles thompson, rhett bomar, and the boz (yes, his book still irritates me). if money is more important than your legacy with OU, then don't expect me to support you.

All Sooners, all deserving of respect for their time here....I'm sure all of them would do things differently if they were able.

Do you feel the same way about Roy Williams? Tommie Harris? Jimmy Wilkerson? They brought no "shame" on the program but they too left for the $$ while still having time available to them with which to deepen their "legacy with OU".

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/10/2006, 12:34 PM
All Sooners, all deserving of respect for their time here....I'm sure all of them would do things differently if they were able.

Do you feel the same way about Roy Williams? Tommie Harris? Jimmy Wilkerson? They brought no "shame" on the program but they too left for the $$ while still having time available to them with which to deepen their "legacy with OU".

they completed the season. not one of them held themselves out of a game to keep from hurting their draft stock.

i hate the NFL for forcing players into a position to choose between college and money. i think the only professional league that has it correct is the WNBA which requires you to graduate from college before you can enter the draft.

early entrants have cost us games that we would have won had we been able to retain players (2002 with TGRW?). however, the coaches at least have a chance to prepare for the departure.

Blues1
12/10/2006, 12:45 PM
I'm BAACK ----------- :)

Beano's Fourth Chin
12/10/2006, 12:46 PM
If he doesn't play in the Fiesta Bowl, he shouldn't get a Big XII ring or even a Fiesta Bowl hoodie.

Miko
12/10/2006, 12:50 PM
If he doesn't play in the Fiesta Bowl, he shouldn't get a Big XII ring or even a Fiesta Bowl hoodie.

With my bad knees and lack of eligibility I seriously doubt I will be playing. :( But can't I still get a Fiesta Bowl hoodie???? Please. ;)

jkjsooner
12/10/2006, 02:50 PM

Would you say the same thing if Brady Quinn or Troy Smith decided not to play in their bowl games? They also are risking injury and their NFL future every game they play. What's the difference? By the time the bowl game comes around, Peterson will have been 100% healthy for about a month. From everything I've read this latest injury poses no risk to him.

So what's the difference between Peterson and Quinn or Smith? The only thing I can think of is that you consider Peterson injury-prone whereas the other guys are not. If that's the case then his NFL stock will drop anyway. I, for one, think he's had a run of bad luck and is no more injury prone than any other player.