PDA

View Full Version : Bama in meltdown mode.

SoonerStormchaser
12/8/2006, 08:34 PM
Now that Rodriguez has turned down the Bama job. A few of my contacts in the Heart of Dixie are saying that the general atmosphere down there can be equated to panic.

What are the odds that Moore is gonna pull a Pederson and pull a guy like Callenberger down there to screw things up?

dolemitesooner
12/8/2006, 08:36 PM
STOOPS IS GOING THERWE THEY HAVE NOTHING TO WORRY ABOUT

guzziguy
12/8/2006, 08:38 PM
They may have to call Shula with an oopsie.

Uhh, coach, we were just kidding. You knew that, right?

birddog
12/8/2006, 08:41 PM
so, who are they looking at now, seriously?

Widescreen
12/8/2006, 08:53 PM
Why can't the ghost of Paul Bryant coach them?

SoonerStormchaser
12/8/2006, 08:58 PM
I hear Watson Brown might be available soon.

JohnnyMack
12/8/2006, 09:00 PM
Mal Moore should be fired for this.

They need to go get an up and comer, not a has been (Spurrier) or someone who doesn't want to make a lateral move (Saban or Rodriguez).

Michael Haywood (The ND OC) is a name (is Bama ready to hire a black HC?) that might be considered.

Chizik is off the market, wonder if he's kicking himself for not holding out to see what other jobs popped up?

TrophyCollector
12/8/2006, 09:01 PM
Terry Bowden

yur-out
12/8/2006, 09:02 PM
Chizik is off the market, wonder if he's kicking himself for not holding out to see what other jobs popped up?
I was thinking the same thing about Butch Davis.

Okla-homey
12/8/2006, 09:11 PM
Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of a-holes. They made their bed, now they gotta sleep in it...with no Head Coach. heh. Oh well, that HS coach in Birmingham who was on MTV might be available.:P

TUSooner
12/8/2006, 09:21 PM
The only one looking worse than bama is espn. Thus morning Mike & Mike (whom I really like) were ripping Rodriguez some new orifices for running out on WVA after saying he would stay. How could espn be SO WRONG?!?

Okla-homey
12/8/2006, 09:29 PM
All I know is when a guy at flippin' West Virginia says "No thanks, I think I'll stay here", that should indicate to the "Bama Nation" their program is officially in the crapper.

TUSooner
12/8/2006, 09:46 PM
Maybe they DESERVED Mike Price and shoulda kept him

Blues1
12/8/2006, 10:04 PM
I said the only guy I think of that might take the bama job is June Jones -- but who would Want to leave Hawaii.....???

LMAO...... :) Poor Bama..... :)

DrZaius
12/8/2006, 10:28 PM
The whole Bama thing is the screwiest thing I have ever watched from afar. This is the funniest crap about hiring a coach I have ever seen.

Scott D
12/8/2006, 10:38 PM
Blues1 is going to be the next Bama head coach...you heard it here.

St. Louis Sooner
12/8/2006, 10:38 PM
I bet Shula felt like he was getting out of jail ...

With that in mind, who'd wanna go there? Imagine how pathetic their AD must feel knowing no one wants to coach at the meat grinder now known as Alabama?? ... this type of pressure is a failure of those in charge ... it's a travesty knowing that 'bama is their own worst enemy.

Widescreen
12/8/2006, 10:42 PM
I don't know. The ND search a couple of years ago was awfully fun. I remember a lot of the same "ND called and wants me to be their coach" schtick then too.

Ash
12/8/2006, 10:45 PM

If you take it, Blues, negotiate a HUGE buyout because you know nuthin' will be good enough for the psycho fans.

Then again, you might "win" another national championship.

Maybe the "Hooray, we got a coach!" MNC?

Blues1
12/8/2006, 10:47 PM

No - NO - I'm holding out for a good gig at North Vermont State..... :eek:

Blues1
12/8/2006, 10:54 PM
Truth is --"My dream" at age 15 was to be a Football Coach - I have enough plays drawn up to fill a foot locker - Then at age 16 I found out 3 chords and a Guitar got you $$$ and Girls -- and my Life has been on a down swing since then --- :)
But I kept on Rockin' -------- :)

Stitch Face
12/8/2006, 10:54 PM
Actually this is just now reaching the screwiness of the Nebraska search a few years back. Rejected by that guy from Dallas and H. Nutt before scrambling/ settling for Callenburger; things were getting pretty hysterical up there at the time.

royalfan5
12/8/2006, 10:58 PM
You would have thought Alabama would have learned something from Steve and Harvey's excellent adventure up here, but apparently not.

bluedogok
12/8/2006, 11:14 PM
Mal Moore should be fired for this.
I wonder when they might figure out this guy may be the root of the problem.

Oldnslo
12/8/2006, 11:19 PM
cheap bastards. I just got a collect call from Birmingham. Seems that they're making so many calls to candidates that they're trying to save a buck on long distance charges.

I told 'em I'm not available.

Sooner_Bob
12/8/2006, 11:21 PM
Mike Martz maybe?

Blues1
12/8/2006, 11:24 PM
I wonder when they might figure out this guy may be the root of the problem.

AMEN.... I also think they don't see REALITY - Their egos are so big ( or just maybe his..??) -- they think everyone in the coaching world would drop his Co(k to coach at Bama -- I don't even Know IF Mike Stoops would leave Arizona now for that job...??

Mike Riley...??
June Jones...??

Maybe some young NFL (upcoming young man) whoever that is...???

R'

The Ensuing Kickoff
12/8/2006, 11:25 PM
WHAT???????

From cnnsi.com:
-------------------
And awfully high expectations go with those six national titles and an NCAA-record 53 bowl appearances -- soon to be 54 after the Dec. 28 Independence Bowl against Oklahoma State. Defensive coordinator Joe Kines is serving as interim head coach.
-------------------

Do they mean the six they won this year???
:o

Easting
12/8/2006, 11:38 PM
I told them no. I'm going to coach at Western Illinois Trucking and Welding Institute instead.

AlabamaSooner
12/9/2006, 12:28 AM
Couldn't happen to a nicer bunch of a-holes. They made their bed, now they gotta sleep in it...with no Head Coach. heh. Oh well, that HS coach in Birmingham who was on MTV might be available.:P

Classy...thanks.

The Ensuing Kickoff
12/9/2006, 12:39 AM
Alabama awards a national title to itself for failing at attracting a high quality head coach.

Tuscaloosa, Alabama - The University of Alabama has awarded itself another national title, this time in the area of failing to attract a high quality coach. This is the 4th such title in the last 12 years that the university has awarded itself this prestigious award. The trophy, which was designed by Alabama alums, features the figures of two overweight middle-aged men, one with a chicken leg in one hand, one with a hooker in one hand, and both supporting with their free hands a bust of Paul Bryant, will be presented to university officials by university officials at a gala event Saturday night in Montgomery.

An unnamed member of the athletic department stated, "we are proud of ourselves for extending our tradition of excellence in failing to hire a high quality coach. We would like to congratulate ourselves, and point out that we have high hopes of winning this annual award next month, too."

ESPN's Lee Corso agreed, putting on an Auburn tiger head and screaming into the camera.

Scott D
12/9/2006, 12:52 AM
Classy...thanks.

Homey is a Citadel grad whom supports Alabama Aggie because his daughter tricked him into thinking it was the only university with her major ;)

AlabamaSooner
12/9/2006, 01:05 AM
Homey is a Citadel grad whom supports Alabama Aggie because his daughter tricked him into thinking it was the only university with her major ;)

Ok then, that's cool with me. Wouldn't expect anything less from an Aubie. It'd be weird otherwise. Everything is in order. :P

Flagstaffsooner
12/9/2006, 01:12 AM
Whaaat daaa fuuuck is goin' on heeer?
http://www.nndb.com/people/214/000110881/bear-bryant-1.jpg

Fraggle145
12/9/2006, 01:36 AM
This is what happens when you fire a coach that won 9-10 games the year before... I think its a ****ty thing to do.. See Nebraska-Callahan, Miami-This Year, Notre Dame (OK a year in between)-They are going to suck next year. BAD.. There is something to be said for consistency. Look what Zooks recruits are doing without him. People are too impatien t, we got lucky, so we get to act like we can judge, but really this whole coaching carousel thing is getting a bit ridiculous and it is all fueled by the media who get people hired and fired just to get a story. JMHO

Blues1
12/9/2006, 06:49 AM
This is what happens when you fire a coach that won 9-10 games the year before... I think its a ****ty thing to do.. See Nebraska-Callahan, Miami-This Year, Notre Dame (OK a year in between)-They are going to suck next year. BAD.. There is something to be said for consistency. Look what Zooks recruits are doing without him. People are too impatien t, we got lucky, so we get to act like we can judge, but really this whole coaching carousel thing is getting a bit ridiculous and it is all fueled by the media who get people hired and fired just to get a story. JMHO

Yes to all of the above PLUS -

IMHO - Some more Truth is -

Ever since Oklahoma won a National Championship in it's 2nd year with Bob Stoops a lot of major schools THINK they can also pull it off....The chance of that ever happening again is about 1 in Million - We were in the right place with the right man at the right time - and we (Those of us who followed the 2000 season) all know it also took a little bit of LUCK for us to bring home the Crystal Ball.....

2nd year with pro Charlie at ND all thought they would pull it off this year - LOOK what happen to ND this year - Good season - Talent but NO Trophy....

When you think about it Oklahoma has been "The Leader" in Bringing in New Coaches with Winning Records - Bud - Barry - Bob - When are these other schools going to realize GOD is a Sooner Fan ..... :)
Sorry Couldn't resist ---- :D

Winning Tradition can be a Blessing or a Curse -- Treat it with Loving care...

When I talk about the 1950's Sooners with Pride - Just know someday you younger guy's will be talking about 1999 - 2000 - 2001 -2002 -2003 -2004 -2005 and 2006 Sooners with the Same Pride and Honor to even a younger generation - Hire Men with Guts & Honor - Give them a Honest Chance ------ and Keep on Rockin'

BOOMER SOONER.......!!!!!

Okla-homey
12/9/2006, 08:19 AM
Classy...thanks.

Do you actually believe this problem is not one of their own making? Those people have been running off coaches at the proverbial drop of a hat ever since Gene Stallings and now, the chickens are coming home to roost.

OUinFLA
12/9/2006, 08:52 AM
from Tidefans

No proven head coach will come here, because we have not proven we are committed to winning. Winning takes patience and good decisions, something we are far short on. I still believe Shula was our best bet for grooming a great head coach, but no one has any patience for that. We are truly getting what we deserve and will be do good just to get as good a coach we had.

I'm sure some will roll their eyes, but it's the truth. You simply can't go through coaches like we have and expect people to be lining-up to coach here. We are currently a second tier program with a great past. A past that means very little to current coaches and especially current recruits. I want the best for our program, but believe our leadership and fan base to a lesser extent are setting us up for failure.

Most coaches will stay away knowing they could never pull off what Coach Bryant did. For them the challenge is to great.

This last comment may be more on the money than any point being discused.
Last night I was having a conversation with an older booster for a rival school.

He said, "Bama's biggest problem is they have never let go, or gotten past 'The Bear'. Every coach they have ever had since him is always being compared to him and held to the standards he set for their program. Your school, Oklahoma, has had just as legendary a coach in Bud, and you managed to move on and get past his departure, you again had another successful legendary coach in Barry, you again managed to move on past him. Now you have yet a third coach approaching a legendary status in Stoops. Someday, he will also be gone, but as you have proven before, your program is capable of moving on and getting beyond the past. Bama just hasn't done that and it will forever be a deterant to their program."

btw, they have a poster named Bama Rich, could you two be related?
:D

Spray
12/9/2006, 09:03 AM
Do you actually believe this problem is not one of their own making? Those people have been running off coaches at the proverbial drop of a hat ever since Gene Stallings and now, the chickens are coming home to roost.

I completely agree.

Heck, they've done it to every coach they've had since Bryant except Stallings, and even he took some heat for the whole probation deal. Coaches now look at the "Bama Tradition" and prestige of the job and it no longer outweighs the pressure of the local media and fans. Its not worth it to take the job when you have a 90% chance of being run out of town within 3-4 years.

There is this inflated idea around here of what this program's place is the college football world really is. Do Bama fans realize they have won exactly 1 title in going on 30 years? Settle on a coach for goodness sakes. They are to a point where a whole new generation of football players will regard Bama's tradition as some sort of fairy tale or myth- that can't be good for recruiting, especially with Auburn's recent success.

They never should've hired Shula in the first place, and the funny thing is that they never should've fired him either. They would've been pretty good next year. As it is, they should be going after a good, young coordinator. I sincerely believe they should have made a run at Randy Shannon. I keep telling myself that the old gray haired white guys who run this program are ready to have lunch (not be served lunch) with a black man at the club in Birmingham- I may be hoping against hope on that one.

mrowl
12/9/2006, 09:17 AM

good times. good times.

:D

Okla-homey
12/9/2006, 09:26 AM
I completely agree.

Heck, they've done it to every coach they've had since Bryant except Stallings, and even he took some heat for the whole probation deal. Coaches now look at the "Bama Tradition" and prestige of the job and it no longer outweighs the pressure of the local media and fans. Its not worth it to take the job when you have a 90% chance of being run out of town within 3-4 years.

There is this inflated idea around here of what this program's place is the college football world really is. Do Bama fans realize they have won exactly 1 title in going on 30 years? Settle on a coach for goodness sakes. They are to a point where a whole new generation of football players will regard Bama's tradition as some sort of fairy tale or myth- that can't be good for recruiting, especially with Auburn's recent success.

They never should've hired Shula in the first place, and the funny thing is that they never should've fired him either. They would've been pretty good next year. As it is, they should be going after a good, young coordinator. I sincerely believe they should have made a run at Randy Shannon. I keep telling myself that the old gray haired white guys who run this program are ready to have lunch (not be served lunch) with a black man at the club in Birmingham- I may be hoping against hope on that one.

You sir, are to be commended for your candid insight and acceptance of the truth. I think Bama can be great again, but, IMHO, the boosters and muckety-mucks are going to have to get to the place you are before that happens.

Sooner_Bob
12/9/2006, 09:40 AM
We gonna werk now.

soonerduke
12/9/2006, 09:45 AM
How about Jackie Sherill (Bama alum), Danny Ford (Bama alum), or Howard *************** (OC at Bama when the won three MNCs)

stoopified
12/9/2006, 10:15 AM
All I know is when a guy at flippin' West Virginia says "No thanks, I think I'll stay here", that should indicate to the "Bama Nation" their program is officially in the crapper.I don't derive any pleasure from the Crimson Tide pain because memories of the Sooner Dark Decade linger in my mind.

Doged
12/9/2006, 12:18 PM
I can't figure why they're so locked in on getting someone with HC experience. I'd think the short list would include the OC's and DC's of the top 5 or 6 programs over the last 5 years, at least any of them that have been in place for 3 or more years. The coordinators from the top NFL teams over the last 5 years should be looked at, too. But hey, that's just me I guess.

Flagstaffsooner
12/9/2006, 12:32 PM
How about Jackie Sherill (Bama alum), Danny Ford (Bama alum), or Howard *************** (OC at Bama when the won three MNCs)JS, that's all Bama needs, more NCAA on them.:D

batonrougesooner
12/9/2006, 12:55 PM
Shula was Bama's Gary Gibbs.

I'm afraid they may wander in the desert for five years before their new football savior comes along.

soonerduke
12/9/2006, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by batonrougesooner:
Shula was Bama's Gary Gibbs.

One more reason for bama to hire Schnelly.

soonerinabilene
12/9/2006, 01:25 PM
they gotta start looking at coords. now. i would think that pelini may become a possibility. or how about giving frank solich a call? he's already been able to take ohio to the conference title game.

Flagstaffsooner
12/9/2006, 01:31 PM
One more reason for bama to hire Schnelly.Boy, you owe me a keyboard.:D

StoopTroup
12/9/2006, 01:38 PM
Is John Blake available?

Stitch Face
12/9/2006, 01:39 PM
Boy, you owe me a keyboard.:D

"Boy, you owe me a whiskey and soda."

"Actually, hold the soda."

OK2LA
12/9/2006, 01:43 PM
. . . . and now, the chickens are coming home to roost.

Sends shivers up my spine

jkm, the stolen pifwafwi
12/9/2006, 01:59 PM
Yes to all of the above PLUS -

IMHO - Some more Truth is -

Ever since Oklahoma won a National Championship in it's 2nd year with Bob Stoops a lot of major schools THINK they can also pull it off....The chance of that ever happening again is about 1 in Million - We were in the right place with the right man at the right time - and we (Those of us who followed the 2000 season) all know it also took a little bit of LUCK for us to bring home the Crystal Ball.....

jim tressel (2nd) ? pete carroll (3rd)?

boomersooner28
12/9/2006, 02:04 PM
Anybody seen Selma?

AlabamaSooner
12/9/2006, 05:50 PM
I don't derive any pleasure from the Crimson Tide pain because memories of the Sooner Dark Decade linger in my mind.

How soon Sooner fans forget what it's like. Many act as if it never happened in Norman before and don't understand what's going on in Tuscaloosa.

Regarding coaches who got the "boot". Dubose was fired after doing a HORRIBLE job and a scandel. Fran LEFT...didn't get fired. Price was fired after the incident on the Gulf Coast (NO other choice but to fire him). Shula was fired because he never showed confidence in his players through his play calling and never put the team in a position to win. He was the anti-Stoops. He ALWAYS played not to lose and NEVER played to win. Why sit around and let that continue? It was obvious that Bama would continue to be an average SEC team. Everyone says, "they're crazy for letting him go." That's just not true. If you have a bad investment, you have to cut your losses. Yes, many Bama fans are still comparing every coach to Coach Bryant (some are finally letting that go), but we're not going to just sit back and be mediocre either. That's what Shula was leading us towards. Four years and no hint that any progress was made. Now I'll hear, "but Bama went 10-2 and won the Cotton Bowl last year." Shula had hardly anything to do with that. It was all defense, horrible play calling, and poor offensive execution. I just don't understand why everyone thinks it's such a bad thing to fire a coach if you aren't moving in the right direction. It's just like peddeling in place and not going anywhere. "Oh, but you didn't give him long enough." He had four years and in addition to that, you can already tell what the FUTURE was going to look like....AVERAGE.

So in summary the statement of "Alabama just doesn't give any coaches any time." That's a false statement per the explanation above. Only one coach (Shula) since Stallings could be considered a "questionable fire."

Okla-homey
12/9/2006, 06:26 PM
Fine. Then how do you explain the fact that no one wants to be the new 'Bama head coach?

Common sense ref
12/9/2006, 08:01 PM
I cannot start a thread so I though I would tell everyone here. Mark Stoops is in the running for the UNT job. Found out from a friend on the inside.

birddog
12/9/2006, 08:06 PM
so who is bama going after now? any news?

JohnnyMack
12/9/2006, 08:11 PM
Now I'll hear, "but Bama went 10-2 and won the Cotton Bowl last year." Shula had hardly anything to do with that. It was all defense, horrible play calling, and poor offensive execution.

Yep, and it wasn't Stoopsie's fault we went 8-4 last year. :rolleyes:

Scott D
12/9/2006, 08:17 PM
Fine. Then how do you explain the fact that no one wants to be the new 'Bama head coach?

My answer to Mal Moore currently rests upon whether or not the University of Alabama has enough pull to get me a lifetime Augusta membership.

Blues1
12/9/2006, 08:23 PM

Tressel was also lucky - 3rd don't count - plus Carroll cheated . ........ :)

PrideTrombone
12/9/2006, 08:50 PM
My answer to Mal Moore currently rests upon whether or not the University of Alabama has enough pull to get me a lifetime Augusta membership.

Augusta is in eastern Georgia. You'll have to settle for the Robert Trent Jones golf trail.

Scott D
12/9/2006, 09:05 PM
Augusta is in eastern Georgia. You'll have to settle for the Robert Trent Jones golf trail.

hey if Spurrier can get one as a perk for taking the South Carolina job, I want one as a perk for taking the Alabama job ;)

PrideTrombone
12/9/2006, 09:50 PM
hey if Spurrier can get one as a perk for taking the South Carolina job, I want one as a perk for taking the Alabama job ;)

It's actually closer to South Carolina than even UGA.

http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&hl=en&q=columbia,+SC+to+augusta,+GA&ie=UTF8&sll=33.610805,-83.175905&sspn=2.241592,3.845215&z=9&om=1

guzziguy
12/9/2006, 09:53 PM
Would one of you guys please take the 'bama job! They've called 12 times in the last 24 hours. I blocked them and now they're using their personal cell phones to get around the block.

Sheeesh!

AlabamaSooner
12/9/2006, 10:12 PM

No one? I think it's easy to say that there are TONS of coaches that would want to be the next coach at Bama. The top three people on the list turned it down because they like where they're at and it got them a raise. :P I didn't know that because two or three high profile coaches with a bunch of money turned you down that it meant that NOBODY wants the job. Dang, we're screwed. :rolleyes: Rod was a WVU man through and through. It would've been a steal to get him. There's your explanation.

Okla-homey
12/9/2006, 10:17 PM
No one? I think it's easy to say that there are TONS of coaches that would want to be the next coach at Bama. The top three people on the list turned it down because they like where they're at and it got them a raise. :P I didn't know that because two or three high profile coaches with a bunch of money turned you down that it meant that NOBODY wants the job. Dang, we're screwed. :rolleyes: Rod was a WVU man through and through. It would've been a steal to get him. There's your explanation.

We'll just see who finally accepts I guess.

AlabamaSooner
12/9/2006, 10:19 PM

You are correct sir.

Scott D
12/9/2006, 10:31 PM

It has to be better than having your AD attempt to submarine your head coach just to have all of his behind the scenes machinations become public to further embarrass both the coach and the university.

jdsooner
12/10/2006, 01:25 AM
Why don't they hire one of their former offensive coordinators?

Howard *************** (born March 16, 1934) is an American football coach at both the professional and college level. He is currently married to Mrs. Beverlee ***************. He is currently the head coach of Florida Atlantic University and has previously held head coaching positions with the University of Oklahoma, University of Louisville, University of Miami, and the Baltimore Colts. He has also worked extensively as an assistant coach at the pro level, including being a part of the staff of the undefeated 1972 Miami Dolphins.

*************** was an All-American as a player at the University of Kentucky and worked as an assistant coach there under head coach Blanton Collier. *************** would also serve as offensive coordinator under his college coach Bear Bryant at Alabama, helping Alabama to win three national championships in 1961, 1964 and 1965 before leaving in 1966 to take a job in the NFL as offensive coordinator of the Los Angeles Rams then being hired by Don Shula in 1970 to become the offensive coordinator for the Miami Dolphins, parlaying the success of Miami's 1972 perfect season into becoming the new head coach of the Baltimore Colts in 1973.

Mjcpr
12/10/2006, 01:34 AM
I guess I didn't get the "we hate Bama" memo. As far as I can recall, when we had the home and home, everybody seemed to get along just fine. I root for them, and there are parallels between the programs. So I wish them all the best; looks to me like they're going through what we did in the 90s. It sucks.

*shrug* I dunno, I like 'em....I hope they hire a good one.

LSU Tiger Fan
12/10/2006, 11:06 AM
The problem isn't the coaching, it's the Bama athletic department (and booster/fan's) lack of support.

Instability doesn't attract new coaches.

No one in their right mind would take a job for an insane boss who wouldn't give them the tools to succeed (sanctions) or the time to do their job and get the ship on track.

PrideTrombone
12/10/2006, 11:08 AM
It's kind of sad that the only person left on their site who thinks they have a shot in hell at getting Bob Stoops is their "Editor-In-Chief."

Besides Saban, Bob Stoops is the only other coach of that level Alabama seems to even have an orphan's prayer of getting, and even that outcome would be a major long shot.

Wrong, dude. You have no shot at either Saban or Stoops. They need to be looking hard at Mike Leach and Steve Kragthorpe.

LSU Tiger Fan
12/10/2006, 11:12 AM
Anything is possible, but Saban giving up the reins of the best job in the NFL where he has total control to become some Bama booster's lackey doesn't seem very probable :rolleyes:

PrideTrombone
12/10/2006, 11:15 AM
You're just mad b/c now you have Marshmallow Head Les Miles as your coach. Or maybe you're not. But you should be. :)

sooner518
12/10/2006, 11:16 AM
Urban Meyer has a shot this year (2nd)

Flagstaffsooner
12/10/2006, 11:20 AM
As much as I like Alabama, this is a scream.

AlabamaSooner
12/10/2006, 11:34 AM
I guess I didn't get the "we hate Bama" memo. As far as I can recall, when we had the home and home, everybody seemed to get along just fine. I root for them, and there are parallels between the programs. So I wish them all the best; looks to me like they're going through what we did in the 90s. It sucks.

I was thinking the same thing.

JohnnyMack
12/10/2006, 11:38 AM
I have no problem with 'Bama, but for their fans to circle the wagons around Mal Moore makes me think they're not too bright.

sanantoniosooner
12/10/2006, 11:39 AM
It's not his first D-1 stint as HC though.

Blues1
12/10/2006, 11:53 AM

True - True - True...There's no doubt with USC on the west coast and Florida on the East coast with all the talent in those states and surrounding area any coach "worth his salt" has a chance to be in top ten almost every year.....True for Texas and Ohio State as well .....

Plus all those schools were loaded with great talent before those coaches took over...So you have 4 or 5*consistent* college football factories just about every year....But when Bob Stoops took over OU we had a Winning Tradition but I wouldn't say we were a FOOTBALL factory at that time....For Bama Boosters & fans to think some young gun coach out there is gonna come in and start winning the SEC and beating Auburn within two years with all thats happened at their school for the last 5 to 7 years Is a VERY LONG Shot....

But we do know they all look at what did happen at OU with Bob Stoops and Hope they can Repeat it...

Anything can happen - But I don't see it ---- JMHO.....Still R'

OUmillenium
12/10/2006, 01:27 PM
Steve Kragthorpe...you know he would have some interest. Would Bama?

AlabamaSooner
12/10/2006, 02:23 PM
Steve Kragthorpe...you know he would have some interest. Would Bama?

I'm just speaking for myself, but I know I sure would. He's been on my top 3 list from the start.

mrowl
12/10/2006, 07:30 PM

I don't mind Bama, but when there fans and Mods create rumors that they can get Stoops, and then say that he is unhappy in Norman, when they have ZERO backing that info up. I turn on them.

For a bunch of Bama fans that say they respect OU, and blah, blah, blah... they now think they are "better"

mdklatt
12/10/2006, 07:34 PM
For a bunch of Bama fans that say they respect OU, and blah, blah, blah... they now think they are "better"

I don't get the impression that they think they're better, but that they're just as good. To wit, throw in the pending OU sanctions/death penalty (:rolleyes:) and a pile of cash, and that lateral move isn't so lateral.

mdklatt
12/10/2006, 07:43 PM
I'm just speaking for myself, but I know I sure would. He's been on my top 3 list from the start.

Rumor has it that a corporate jet was seen leaving Tulsa's Riverside Airport and turning east.

FACT: Steve Kragthorpe lives in or near Tulsa.
FACT: Alabama is east of Tulsa.

It's a done deal, Bama fans. :D

Blues1
12/10/2006, 07:43 PM
Bama is out of Touch ---Thats Been part of their Problem For years....What we seen lately is just more of it....And I don't buy this Brothers in Arms crap or Sister programs junk at all....They beat Bud in his last bowl game - I hope their program stays down for the next 15 years....JMHO....... :)
R'

AlabamaSooner
12/10/2006, 08:08 PM
I don't mind Bama, but when there fans and Mods create rumors that they can get Stoops, and then say that he is unhappy in Norman, when they have ZERO backing that info up. I turn on them.

You do realize that you're judging the whole fanbase by what just a FEW people say. Just because a couple of DUMB people think that there's a chance, doesn't mean the whole fanbase feels that way. ONE person said that he heard he was unhappy and that guy was put in his place on tidefans. Think of it this way, even in the event that there was a SLIGHT chance, can you blame them for wanting the best? Don't take it so personal. You can't fault the fans for trying to better their program. That's why they are FANS. And trust me, there is no lack of respect and fondness for OU down in Bama. Also, I'm not sure why you think the fans think they are "better". Are the programs equal? I'd say yes. Are the teams currently on the same level? Heck no. All Bama fans know that right now. The whole idea is to get BACK to playing championship football much like OU is right now. OU had even worse years in the 90's and came back so why fault Bama for trying to get it right?

AlabamaSooner
12/10/2006, 08:10 PM
Bama is out of Touch ---Thats Been part of their Problem For years....What we seen lately is just more of it....And I don't buy this Brothers in Arms crap or Sister programs junk at all....They beat Bud in his last bowl game - I hope their program stays down for the next 15 years....JMHO....... :)
R'

I actually was given that ticket stub the other day from my Grandfather. I was so excited since it was the first meeting between my two teams. :)

Blues1
12/10/2006, 08:25 PM
It's Mainly the adminstration thats "out of touch" plus a some big boosters - and maybe a few NUT CASE fans - We all have them ,,,,,, :)

Mike Price was gonna be your savior - I really believe that -- What he did wasn't all that bad --- IMHO -- To think these coaches have to be hoiller than now is living in fantasy world....IF nothing else somebody could have Kept a LID on it..... But - it's TOO late now.....

So here comes (daddy's little boy Shula) - in above his head -- Now you guys are throwing the dice ----
"7 come 11 maybe" - but look out for Snake eye's --- Good Luck - God Bless - and Keep on Rockin'

AlabamaSooner
12/10/2006, 08:43 PM
IF nothing else somebody could have Kept a LID on it..... But - it's TOO late now.....

I think Price could've done some good things as well, but keeping a lid on something like that would make about as much sense as keeping a lid on the Bomar deal at Big Red. Eventually, it would come back to bite you in the butt. It always seems to. Plus, if you keep that coach, it makes your program look that much worse. Nobody wants to be associated with a coach that just gave the school a black eye like that.

Honestly though, I think it was Fran that was the coach for Bama. As much as it pains me to say that. The fans LOVED him to death and it really seemed like a good fit in Tuscaloosa. Apparently, Bama fans didn't know of his great need to be back in Texas. I can't blame him for wanting to be back at "home", but at least face your players before you leave. (Whoops, sorry. Just got off on a Fran tangent. Tends to happen when he's mentioned.) :P

StoopTroup
12/10/2006, 08:52 PM
Bama would be better off hiring Joe Castiglione and then have Joe find them a Coach.

AlabamaSooner
12/10/2006, 08:59 PM
Bama would be better off hiring Joe Castiglione and then have Joe find them a Coach.

This is the most true statement I've heard...lol.

Sooner_Havok
12/10/2006, 09:02 PM
Hey, can can coach Bama if they want. I am a pretty good coach on NCAA 2006. Haven't lost a game yet! Plus, I have recruiting pipelines in Arizona, Texas, Florida, and California :D

bluedogok
12/10/2006, 09:12 PM
I still think Price would have been there best option, I don't recall the entire story but I don't think anything that he did was against NCAA rules. Yeah what he did was stupid but it probably is less than what most of those holier than thou boosters or Bear Bryant did in their lives.

MissouriSooner
12/10/2006, 09:27 PM
I still think Price would have been there best option, I don't recall the entire story but I don't think anything that he did was against NCAA rules. Yeah what he did was stupid but it probably is less than what most of those holier than thou boosters or Bear Bryant did in their lives.
Wrong. Judging the integrity of a head coach against the worst elements of either other coaches or boosters sends the wrong signal to everyone associated with the program, and it sends the exact opposite signal that you want to send to the parents of the kind of recruits that a program needs to attract. I for one am glad that Bob and his coaches exhibit outstanding integrity, and I think that he will continue to attract to the Sooner program the caliber of kids who can win without compromising ethical standards. And when they do, as in the case of the cheaters who were shown the door earlier this year, their dismissal sends a strong message that OUr program won't tolerate that type of behavior. Mike Price was indiscrete, he disgraced his family - especially his wife - and he is not the type of guy a major program needs to build a solid base of athletes who play by the rules.

badger
12/10/2006, 09:32 PM
All right, let's make a big board and the odds of all prominent Bama alums, the only ones who would care if Bamer went to the gutter or not...

By my strategic analysis, all College Football Hall of Famers from Bama would want to coach at Bama. Here goes...
-Cornelius Bennett - Alabama, 2006
-Johnny Mack Brown - Alabama, 1957
-John Cain - Alabama, 1973
-Harry Gilmer - Alabama, 1993
-John Hannah - Alabama, 1999
-Pooley Hubert - Alabama, 1964
-Don Hutson - Alabama, 1951
-Lee Roy Jordan - Alabama, 1983
-Vaughn Mancha - Alabama, 1990
-Johnny Musso - Alabama, 2000
-Billy Neighbors - Alabama, 1973
-Ozzie Newsome - Alabama, 1994
-Fred Sington - Alabama, 1955
-Riley Smith - Alabama, 1985
-Don Whitmire - Alabama, Navy, 1956

Any of these guys available?

and lest we forget, if they were never on probation/or whatever it was, they'd probably have Frachown3d still...

The NCAA penalties were caused by questionable recruiting tactics by an Alabama booster, Logan Young (an alumnus of Vanderbilt University), who was sentenced to three years in prison for paying high school coach Lynn Lang $150,000 to get his Prep All-American defensive lineman Albert Means to go to Alabama. After the investigation was over, in addition to the loss of scholarships, Alabama was banned from bowl games for two years and was put on five years probation. Young later died in his Memphis home. Investigators initially concluded Young was violently murdered; however, the investigators ultimately concluded that Young's death resulted from a fall he sustained while walking up the stairs in his home.
(from wikipedia)

AlabamaSooner
12/10/2006, 09:47 PM
Wrong. Judging the integrity of a head coach against the worst elements of either other coaches or boosters sends the wrong signal to everyone associated with the program, and it sends the exact opposite signal that you want to send to the parents of the kind of recruits that a program needs to attract. I for one am glad that Bob and his coaches exhibit outstanding integrity, and I think that he will continue to attract to the Sooner program the caliber of kids who can win without compromising ethical standards. And when they do, as in the case of the cheaters who were shown the door earlier this year, their dismissal sends a strong message that OUr program won't tolerate that type of behavior. Mike Price was indiscrete, he disgraced his family - especially his wife - and he is not the type of guy a major program needs to build a solid base of athletes who play by the rules.

I think that's a great way of putting it.

badger
12/10/2006, 09:55 PM
Bama has a great fan base. They just... well... have had several problems.

AlabamaSooner
12/10/2006, 10:00 PM
All right, let's make a big board and the odds of all prominent Bama alums, the only ones who would care if Bamer went to the gutter or not...

By my strategic analysis, all College Football Hall of Famers from Bama would want to coach at Bama. Here goes...
-Cornelius Bennett - Alabama, 2006
-Johnny Mack Brown - Alabama, 1957
-John Cain - Alabama, 1973
-Harry Gilmer - Alabama, 1993
-John Hannah - Alabama, 1999
-Pooley Hubert - Alabama, 1964
-Don Hutson - Alabama, 1951
-Lee Roy Jordan - Alabama, 1983
-Vaughn Mancha - Alabama, 1990
-Johnny Musso - Alabama, 2000
-Billy Neighbors - Alabama, 1973
-Ozzie Newsome - Alabama, 1994
-Fred Sington - Alabama, 1955
-Riley Smith - Alabama, 1985
-Don Whitmire - Alabama, Navy, 1956

Any of these guys available?

and lest we forget, if they were never on probation/or whatever it was, they'd probably have Frachown3d still...

(from wikipedia)

None of those really have any coaching experience. However, MANY want the university to bring down Ozzie Newsome as the AD. He is currently one of the bigger men in the Ravens organization. Coach Gene Stallings is the only option that even would have a chance. He said that if called, he "would listen". He would provide the stability needed, but it would be an "interim" position basically and that can't be good for recruiting. As cool as it would be to see him on the sidelines again, that just won't happen, and shouldn't I don't think.

badger
12/10/2006, 10:03 PM
It must be fun to be a Sooner fan in Alabama--- watch a few SEC games, lately? :D

It was a lot of fun to go to Bryant Stadium. The fans were passionate, and the presentation with the "championship" flags and such was amusing.

Plus, they were nice after losing.... almost too nice. Can we play them again instead of ANY pac-10 teams?

Doged
12/10/2006, 10:22 PM

That's a bit over the top, don't ya' think? The guy's not a serial killer, after all. He went to a strip bar with a group from the golf tournament he was playing in. That's not exactly a heinous crime.

IMO Witt made a mistake firing Price and the 'Bama fans are paying for it now.

AlabamaSooner
12/10/2006, 10:38 PM
That's a bit over the top, don't ya' think? The guy's not a serial killer, after all. He went to a strip bar with a group from the golf tournament he was playing in. That's not exactly a heinous crime.

IMO Witt made a mistake firing Price and the 'Bama fans are paying for it now.

Going to a strip bar probably isn't the best thing to let get out in the news, but it was what happened AFTER that. Taking a couple of girls back with you to a hotel room is not what I would call a role model and want coaching my son.

bluedogok
12/10/2006, 10:45 PM
Going to a strip bar probably isn't the best thing to let get out in the news, but it was what happened AFTER that. Taking a couple of girls back with you to a hotel room is not what I would call a role model and want coaching my son.
Then I guess Switzer would not have been a "good enough" person to coach your team :rolleyes:

They should have just fired him after a single indiscretion, which means he would have been gone about 1974. Firing Price for that incident when they let others get by with NCAA infractions is a bit of a double standard.

Would we prefer that coaches and players not engage in that kind of behavior? Yes, but since they are legal establishments it is not against the law to go there. The real stupid thing he did was use the school credit card, but that is hardly a fireable offense in most cases. The media firestorm is what got him fired, not the fact that he went to the club.

Flagstaffsooner
12/10/2006, 11:07 PM
This is funny. http://www.spreadshirt.com/shop.php?sid=46816

AUGUSTUS-CAESAR
12/10/2006, 11:22 PM

If you fired every coach, or for that matter every head coach that has frequented a strip bar...well, you'd be firing lots and lots of coaches.

AlabamaSooner
12/10/2006, 11:24 PM
Then I guess Switzer would not have been a "good enough" person to coach your team :rolleyes:

They should have just fired him after a single indiscretion, which means he would have been gone about 1974. Firing Price for that incident when they let others get by with NCAA infractions is a bit of a double standard.

Would we prefer that coaches and players not engage in that kind of behavior? Yes, but since they are legal establishments it is not against the law to go there. The real stupid thing he did was use the school credit card, but that is hardly a fireable offense in most cases. The media firestorm is what got him fired, not the fact that he went to the club.

Knowing what your coaches are doing is one thing...rouge boosters are another thing. The university disassociated themselves from the boosters (same thing as firing basically). So the end result was the same. It's just a matter of finding out in time.

Regarding coaching in the 70's...there was MUCH more scrutiny now that there was back then.

AlabamaSooner
12/10/2006, 11:27 PM
If you fired every coach, or for that matter every head coach that has frequented a strip bar...well, you'd be firing lots and lots of coaches.

It's not a matter of what the coach does or does not do, as much as it is..."Don't make our university look bad by what you choose to do in public." Also, I think it's safe to say that coaches don't frequent strip bars, for two reasons. No time to, and they're smart enough not to start a media firestorm. Besides, most would rather not do that anyway.

AUGUSTUS-CAESAR
12/10/2006, 11:39 PM
It's not a matter of what the coach does or does not do, as much as it is..."Don't make our university look bad by what you choose to do in public." Also, I think it's safe to say that coaches don't frequent strip bars, for two reasons. No time to, and they're smart enough not to start a media firestorm. Besides, most would rather not do that anyway.

So, you don't think coaches go to strip clubs? Guess I stand corrected then!;)

AUGUSTUS-CAESAR
12/10/2006, 11:51 PM
Joe Namath was an Alabama guy (didn't graduate right?) Maybe Broadway Joe could come back and save them. This would also help to rehabilitate his rep! A Win-Win situation!!!

bluedogok
12/11/2006, 12:10 AM
Well, at least he chose to go to one in Pensacola and not Tuscaloosa, he TRIED to keep it on the down low :D

Yes, there is more media scrutiny now but the threshold of behavior is so ridiculously low anymore that everyone thinks they need a saint for a coach. I want a football coach, not a (truly) celibate priest.

Flagstaffsooner
12/11/2006, 12:10 AM
Switzer never did anything like that.:rolleyes:

AUGUSTUS-CAESAR
12/11/2006, 12:18 AM
Well, at least he chose to go to one in Pensacola and not Tuscaloosa, he TRIED to keep it on the down low :D

Yes, there is more media scrutiny now but the threshold of behavior is so ridiculously low anymore that everyone thinks they need a saint for a coach. I want a football coach, not a (truly) celibate priest.

Maybe with the Democrats retaking control of congress we'll get back to those less puritanical times. I say this as a Republican, but one who does not want to see a return to Victorian times, witch trials, scarlet letters, etc...

Blues1
12/11/2006, 01:00 AM
Latest News out of Bama
LINK

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16132608/

sjt
12/11/2006, 09:44 AM
Price's firing was not the result of just the incident in FL. There had been reports of several drunken incidents in Tuscaloosa and he had been warned by M. Moore to cool it. He was a liability to a program that was trying desparately to repair its image.

Flagstaffsooner
12/11/2006, 09:48 AM
Joe Namath was an Alabama guy (didn't graduate right?) Maybe Broadway Joe could come back and save them. This would also help to rehabilitate his rep! A Win-Win situation!!!There's a sober guy.

bamabryan
12/11/2006, 10:27 AM
[QUOTE=The Ensuing Kickoff]WHAT???????

From cnnsi.com:
-------------------
And awfully high expectations go with those six national titles and an NCAA-record 53 bowl appearances -- soon to be 54 after the Dec. 28 Independence Bowl against Oklahoma State. Defensive coordinator Joe Kines is serving as interim head coach.
-------------------

Hey DIC*KHEAD: That would be 12 NATIONAL TITLES!!!!!!!!!!! We know that they do not teach uo people to "f"ing count! Remember John Blake, O do! LOL

bamabryan
12/11/2006, 10:29 AM

We have ALWAYS been better! 12 NC's! That is what it is all about!

Blues1
12/11/2006, 10:37 AM
We have ALWAYS been better! 12 NC's! That is what it is all about!

Do we need anymore Proof why bama needs help......???

Nuff said..... :)

bamabryan
12/11/2006, 10:40 AM
Switzer never did anything like that.:rolleyes:

No not at all...he just allowed MACHINE GUNS and rape cover-ups! What a quality guy!

Scott D
12/11/2006, 10:41 AM
At this point, I'd say the odds on bet to be the next Alabama coach is going to be Joe Kines.

mrowl
12/11/2006, 10:43 AM
You do realize that you're judging the whole fanbase by what just a FEW people say. Just because a couple of DUMB people think that there's a chance, doesn't mean the whole fanbase feels that way. ONE person said that he heard he was unhappy and that guy was put in his place on tidefans. Think of it this way, even in the event that there was a SLIGHT chance, can you blame them for wanting the best? Don't take it so personal. You can't fault the fans for trying to better their program. That's why they are FANS. And trust me, there is no lack of respect and fondness for OU down in Bama. Also, I'm not sure why you think the fans think they are "better". Are the programs equal? I'd say yes. Are the teams currently on the same level? Heck no. All Bama fans know that right now. The whole idea is to get BACK to playing championship football much like OU is right now. OU had even worse years in the 90's and came back so why fault Bama for trying to get it right?

so you think that mods of a bama board are the dumb ones? And are in the minority?

bamabryan
12/11/2006, 10:49 AM
You uo people act like you are on the throne! I remember John Blake stinking up the Big 12 for a few years. You booted him without letting him play his own recruits, then stoops came in an won a NC with Blakes recruits, and he got a lot of credit for that, when in fact the Big 12 was the 3rd or 4th best conference in football as it always is! We have a lot of pride in BAMA, and a lot of tradition! 12 NC's, and the most bowl appearances, the most bowl wins, the most SEC titles, and the best, and most competitve conference every year! Mediocrity is running rampant in the little 12!!!! Get used to it!
I also remember being 10-2 last season, and beating the #1 ranked offense in the country (TTU) in the Coton Bowl. So....it is a GREAT TIME to be a BAMA fan! We are not down, the monster is sleeping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AlabamaSooner
12/11/2006, 10:57 AM
Maybe with the Democrats retaking control of congress we'll get back to those less puritanical times. I say this as a Republican, but one who does not want to see a return to Victorian times, witch trials, scarlet letters, etc...

It won't matter who has control of what. In Alabama, you won't get away with stuff like that and keep your job. Maybe in northern schools, but probably not in the south though.

AlabamaSooner
12/11/2006, 10:59 AM
Price's firing was not the result of just the incident in FL. There had been reports of several drunken incidents in Tuscaloosa and he had been warned by M. Moore to cool it. He was a liability to a program that was trying desparately to repair its image.

Actually, I had forgotten about this. This is true and he WAS warned to clean it up. So there's the second and third chance that you were looking for. He got much farther than most would have considering his parading around Tuscaloosa and buying college girls drinks. Thanks for reminding me because that just justifies his firing even moreso.

1stTimeCaller
12/11/2006, 11:02 AM
You uo people act like you are on the throne! I remember John Blake stinking up the Big 12 for a few years. You booted him without letting him play his own recruits, then stoops came in an won a NC with Blakes recruits, and he got a lot of credit for that, when in fact the Big 12 was the 3rd or 4th best conference in football as it always is! We have a lot of pride in BAMA, and a lot of tradition! 12 NC's, and the most bowl appearances, the most bowl wins, the most SEC titles, and the best, and most competitve conference every year! Mediocrity is running rampant in the little 12!!!! Get used to it!
I also remember being 10-2 last season, and beating the #1 ranked offense in the country (TTU) in the Coton Bowl. So....it is a GREAT TIME to be a BAMA fan! We are not down, the monster is sleeping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Ma'am, I think you have 'taking a nap on the couch' confused with 'being taken to the vet to be put to sleep'.

AlabamaSooner
12/11/2006, 11:02 AM
[QUOTE=The Ensuing Kickoff]WHAT???????

From cnnsi.com:
-------------------
-------------------

Hey DIC*KHEAD: That would be 12 NATIONAL TITLES!!!!!!!!!!! We know that they do not teach uo people to "f"ing count! Remember John Blake, O do! LOL

Mother of God, don't get that started up around here....that discussion won't ever end. And by the way, being an OU grad, they do teach us to count, and well I might add.

PrideTrombone
12/11/2006, 11:12 AM
You uo people act like you are on the throne! I remember John Blake stinking up the Big 12 for a few years. You booted him without letting him play his own recruits, then stoops came in an won a NC with Blakes recruits,

One of our starting WR's in 1999 was playing QB Blake's last year. Blake could recruit good players, but had no idea where to play them or how to develop them. Seems like Bob Stoops brought in a kid named Heupel who made a bit of a difference. OU 1998 = Bama 2006. Decent defense, but no offensive identity at all. He started the year with the "Back to the 'Bone" thing, which lasted about 5 minutes. He went through 5 quarterbacks that year... Brandon Daniels, Patrick Fletcher (3rd or 4th string in 1999), Jake Sills, Eric Moore, and Justin Fuente.

and he got a lot of credit for that, when in fact the Big 12 was the 3rd or 4th best conference in football as it always is! We have a lot of pride in BAMA, and a lot of tradition! 12 NC's, and the most bowl appearances, the most bowl wins, the most SEC titles, and the best, and most competitve conference every year! Mediocrity is running rampant in the little 12!!!! Get used to it!

This year, sure. The Big 12 sucked. but in the late 1990's when Kansas State was in its prime under Bill Snyder, Tom Osborne was still at Nebraska, Texas A&M was making the conference title game; or around 2000 when NU was ranked #1 at several points, KSU was still in the BCS mix, Texas had made a resurgence under Mack Brown.... nope, the Big 12 was tough around then. We beat the #2 team in the country (KSU) and then turned around after a bye week and beat #1 (Nebraska) in 2000. Hardly sounds like a mediocre conference to me.

I also remember being 10-2 last season, and beating the #1 ranked offense in the country (TTU) in the Coton Bowl.

So why'd you fire Shula?

So....it is a GREAT TIME to be a BAMA fan! We are not down, the monster is sleeping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I've good a really good friend who graduated from Alabama. And everything I hear from him says it is most definitely not a good time to be an Alabama fan... unless you love basketball.

Octavian
12/11/2006, 11:32 AM
bryan is either the perfect embodiment of Bama's negative stereotype...

or a poke.

#1-Erin-Higgins-Fan
12/11/2006, 11:35 AM
bryan is either the perfect embodiment of Bama's negative stereotype...

or a poke.
That's the same thing I was thinkin.

JohnnyMack
12/11/2006, 11:36 AM

That's borderline Aggie-Lite-ish.

yur-out
12/11/2006, 11:38 AM
We are not down, the monster is sleeping!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Rumpelstiltskin
Tide
Rumpelstiltskin

LSU Tiger Fan
12/11/2006, 11:38 AM
College football is a "what have you done for me lately" sport when it comes to the fans and while I immensely respect "tradition", it's good special teams, good defense, and good offense that win games. Not "tradition".

There's a certain mutual respect between OU and Bama on this board, and that's cool, but when you have them in conference like we do, Bama fans can become insufferable about their "tradition". Like opposing teams are supposed to show-up and say "Oh, wait, you're Bama and have tradition and more NC's that anyone in the friggen' universe, here's the game"....

If I had a dollar for every blithering Bama fan that I've had to endure listening to about their "tradition", I'd be a richer man. I know, I have several in my own family. :P

Note to Bama fan(s): Games are won on the field, not in the past. Your admin needs to pull their head out of their read-ends and realize that Bama's name doesn't carry the clout it used to. Give up looking for an established "A" grade coach because no one in their right mind is going to leave a good gig to come to your meat grinder.

Your program's present problems are a result of it's very own successful past tradition. Move on and you will begin to win games again.

mrowl
12/11/2006, 11:42 AM
If I had a dollar for every blithering LSU fan that I've had to endure listening to about their "TIGER BAIT", I'd be a richer man.

fixed.

AlabamaSooner
12/11/2006, 11:44 AM
College football is a "what have you done for me lately" sport when it comes to the fans and while I immensely respect "tradition", it's good special teams, good defense, and good offense that win games. Not "tradition".

There's a certain mutual respect between OU and Bama on this board, and that's cool, but when you have them in conference like we do, Bama fans can become insufferable about their "tradition". Like opposing teams are supposed to show-up and say "Oh, wait, you're Bama and have tradition and more NC's that anyone in the friggen' universe, here's the game"....

If I had a dollar for every blithering Bama fan that I've had to endure listening to about their "tradition", I'd be a richer man. I know, I have several in my own family. :P

Note to Bama fan(s): Games are won on the field, not in the past. Your admin needs to pull their head out of their read-ends and realize that Bama's name doesn't carry the clout it used to. Give up looking for an established "A" grade coach because no one in their right mind is going to leave a good gig to come to your meat grinder.

Your program's present problems are a result of it's very own successful past tradition. Move on and you will begin to win games again.

Nicely said LSU Tiger. It is indeed the past success and winning that is causing the problems right now (kind of weird to think of it that way huh?). So many fans got spoiled for SO long that that's what they expect every year. In this day of scholarship limitations, it just isn't going to be that way anymore. The important thing is to start over and build up and create a new tradition and build on the old one. OU has done a great job of that for sure.

bamabryan
12/11/2006, 11:57 AM

Hey LSU...very eloquent. I appalud you! I do not expect to find quality posts on this site...that is bacause you are an SEC fan. I happen to agree with you to some extent. BAMA's program is not where it should be...even though we won 10 games last year without our best receiver, best running back, and starting fullback...this year was a horrible year, as far as Bama football goes. Now, President Witt hired Shula beacause he had a "clean, unblemished past, and it was Dr. Witts first year as president, and he wanted to start his tenure with the perverbial "clean slate", which he did. But, 6- 6 does not cut it with the talent he has to wrok with. Bottom Line! Shula was 0-18 when trailing going in to the 4th quarter! He is the antithesis (uo people, that means opposite) of what Bama "needs" as a head coach. Enough said!

JohnnyMack
12/11/2006, 12:07 PM
Hey ****head, enjoy losing to Aggie Lite.

Scott D
12/11/2006, 12:08 PM
Hey LSU...very eloquent. I appalud you! I do not expect to find quality posts on this site...that is bacause you are an SEC fan. I happen to agree with you to some extent. BAMA's program is not where it should be...even though we won 10 games last year without our best receiver, best running back, and starting fullback...this year was a horrible year, as far as Bama football goes. Now, President Witt hired Shula beacause he had a "clean, unblemished past, and it was Dr. Witts first year as president, and he wanted to start his tenure with the perverbial "clean slate", which he did. But, 6- 6 does not cut it with the talent he has to wrok with. Bottom Line! Shula was 0-18 when trailing going in to the 4th quarter! He is the antithesis (uo people, that means opposite) of what Bama "needs" as a head coach. Enough said!

so now you are taking pot shots at oregon fans? :confused:

TexasLidig8r
12/11/2006, 12:11 PM

hehehe... and you f'in' hillbillies (Bamamanian... that has now become a term of endearment... In Bama, that means the things you do to your sister after you catch her)... thought we Texas fans were condescending, arrogant A-holes! (well.. we are ;) )

psst... Mal... Greggie Davis would listen! :D

Fraggle145
12/11/2006, 12:17 PM

Sounds like the typical Tiger fan, pick one Auburn or LSU... Blithering idiot. Not what I have come to expect from the Bama faithful, especially on this site. You have no class, cant speak in complete sentences, and make your whole fan base look bad. Jeezus just stop talking and go back to whatever hole you crawled out of.

JohnnyMack
12/11/2006, 12:19 PM
hehehe... and you f'in' hillbillies (Bamamanian... that has now become a term of endearment... In Bama, that means the things you do to your sister after you catch her)... thought we Texas fans were condescending, arrogant A-holes! (well.. we are ;) )

psst... Mal... Greggie Davis would listen! :D

Yeah, have fun with Greg Davis and Duane Akina next year.

Beef
12/11/2006, 12:28 PM
I like the bamanian band; that's about it.
I like chicken fried steak. And flapjacks. But not together.

AlabamaSooner
12/11/2006, 12:34 PM
Sounds like the typical Tiger fan, pick one Auburn or LSU... Blithering idiot. Not what I have come to expect from the Bama faithful, especially on this site. You have no class, cant speak in complete sentences, and make your whole fan base look bad. Jeezus just stop talking and go back to whatever hole you crawled out of.

Agreed.

bluedogok
12/11/2006, 12:35 PM
What is funny is bamabryan is calling out someone on this board about the 6 MNC quote from CNN, when even the Sooner poster bolded the text to call attention to the fact that quote was pretty much wrong, yes he was having fun with the 348 self-appointed titles but we do know they have more than 6 legitimate MNC titles. bamabryan is a moron if he couldn't understand that.

The problem is most recruits have the attention span of a gnat and think the Miami has a long tradition, to them a long time is about 10 years and the "modern era" is anytime after they were born. What happened in the Bear or Bud or Barry eras is irrelevant to them. It probably gets an "oh, that's cool" and that is about all. Very few players respect tradition as much as fans, it isn't until later years that they understand what the tradition is all about.

I still think Mal Moore is the root of the problem, he will not reign in those "influential boosters" and show them who should be running the athletic department. The fans should not be in control of the athletic department and until he is replaced with someone who will do that, Bama will always have these issues.

AlabamaSooner
12/11/2006, 12:35 PM

Geez dude, what's your problem with OU fans? Whatever it is, get over it and go back home.

Mjcpr
12/11/2006, 12:36 PM

You mean antithesis of a coach with a "clean, unblemished past" right?

AlabamaSooner
12/11/2006, 12:37 PM
What is funny is bamabryan is calling out someone on this board about the 6 MNC quote from CNN, when even the Sooner poster bolded the text to call attention to the fact that quote was pretty much wrong, yes he was having fun with the 348 self-appointed titles but we do know they have more than 6 legitimate MNC titles. bamabryan is a moron if he couldn't understand that.

The problem is most recruits have the attention span of a gnat and think the Miami has a long tradition, to them a long time is about 10 years and the "modern era" is anytime after they were born. What happened in the Bear or Bud or Barry eras is irrelevant to them. It probably gets an "oh, that's cool" and that is about all. Very few players respect tradition as much as fans, it isn't until later years that they understand what the tradition is all about.

I still think Mal Moore is the root of the problem, he will not reign in those "influential boosters" and show them who should be running the athletic department. The fans should not be in control of the athletic department and until he is replaced with someone who will do that, Bama will always have these issues.

Good points my man

TexasLidig8r
12/11/2006, 12:42 PM
Yeah, have fun with Greg Davis and Duane Akina next year.

Doogie.. Doogie.. Doogie....

Jerry Gray, Defensive Coordinator, University of Texas 2007.

So sayeth Mr. Clean!

homerSimpsonsBrain
12/11/2006, 12:54 PM
Hey LSU...very eloquent. I appalud you! I do not expect to find quality posts on this site... <other crap snipped>

Then why come here?? Raise the IQ of both the bama boards and this board... Go there.

mdklatt
12/11/2006, 01:31 PM
we do know they have more than 6 legitimate MNC titles

We do? I thought it was 6 if count AP/API or BCS. Is it 7?

Big Red Ron
12/11/2006, 01:41 PM
We do? I thought it was 6 if count AP/API or BCS. Is it 7?It's six if you count them like we do. If you count them like USC and Bama they have 47.

AlabamaSooner
12/11/2006, 01:55 PM
It's six if you count them like we do. If you count them like USC and Bama they have 47.

Actually, you missed one. It's actually 48. :P

JohnnyMack
12/11/2006, 02:05 PM
Doogie.. Doogie.. Doogie....

Jerry Gray, Defensive Coordinator, University of Texas 2007.

So sayeth Mr. Clean!

How very "Greg Robinson" of you.

bluedogok
12/11/2006, 08:53 PM
We do? I thought it was 6 if count AP/API or BCS. Is it 7?
I was throwin' him a bone......:pop:

AUGUSTUS-CAESAR
12/11/2006, 11:31 PM

Tradition this, tradition that...done anything lately? The Roman Empire was once on top too, how are they doing these days? Tradition is great to have, better then the alternative anway, but too many times that word tradition is thrown around when the present isn't very good.