PDA

View Full Version : It has to be somewhat of an awkward situation

MamaMia
12/8/2006, 12:11 PM
Now that Leach has openly 'applied for' the Miami coaching position, its quite obvious that he wants out of Lubbock. The Raiders now have to accept the fact that he views them as a stepping stone. That must make for an uncomfortable situation.

MiccoMacey
12/8/2006, 12:16 PM
Oh, I'm not so sure he wants "out of Lubbock", as he thought it was a step up.

But I think people in this business understand that people are always trying to improve their position, and that Miami is a step up from Tech. I don't think it'll be as bad as you might think. I believe his players will be his toughest critics, but in the end they'll understand.

TheLlama
12/8/2006, 12:17 PM
Now that Leach has openly 'applied for' the Miami coaching position, its quite obvious that he wants out of Lubbock. The Raiders now have to accept the fact that he views them as a stepping stone. That must make for an uncomfortable situation.

I hope hes not stepping on any toes... cause he didnt get the Miami job so hes gonna be stuck in Lubbock for at least another year.

Beano's Fourth Chin
12/8/2006, 12:20 PM
Leach has been very open with his players from day one. He's openly stated to all recruits that their number one goal is to help him get an "A-List" coaching job. If they knew it going in, they can't very well be upset about it now. And the fact that he didn't get the job reflects poorly on the players. They should try harder for him this next season.

Widescreen
12/8/2006, 12:21 PM
Recruits may wonder what his commitment to TTU is.

Edit: Beano, he actually tells recruits that it's their job to get him a better job? Why on earth would a player go there? That's like your boss coming to you and saying "Your job is to make me look good."

Landthief 1972
12/8/2006, 12:27 PM
I see the sarcasm filter is broke today. :D

Widescreen
12/8/2006, 12:28 PM
:O

TheHumanAlphabet
12/8/2006, 12:49 PM
Interesting per ESPN, Leach didn't interview very well and "The U" people weren't impressed...I wonder if he took a little too much medication that day??? Then again, he is funny as hell, but I have thought his energy level was on the Gary Gibbs end of the meter, but that may be drug induced.

PAW
12/8/2006, 12:53 PM
He doesn't interview well. They said the same thing at Tech. He probably spent half the time talking about pirate stashes in the area or tarpon fishing.

sanantoniosooner
12/8/2006, 12:55 PM
Remember when Mason took the Georgia job from Kansas and then changed his mind?

One more year and he was gone to Minnesota. Had to be one weird year.

OUmillenium
12/8/2006, 01:05 PM
He doesn't interview well. They said the same thing at Tech. He probably spent half the time talking about pirate stashes in the area or tarpon fishing.

No joke!

By the way, when a coach has a proven track record of success...why should he "interview" well.

Leach has shown
1) He can build and coordinate an offense
2) Recruit to a mediocre program and beat Big Timers (OU/UT/NU)
3) Keep players noses clean...as far as we know
4) Be entertaining in the media

What more could you want out of Leach besides some D?

n8v_ndn
12/8/2006, 01:23 PM

He kept asking TTU officials where Thunderdome was and whether the giant sand worm from Dune could eat a coach

MamaMia
12/8/2006, 01:41 PM
Leach has been very open with his players from day one. He's openly stated to all recruits that their number one goal is to help him get an "A-List" coaching job. If they knew it going in, they can't very well be upset about it now. And the fact that he didn't get the job reflects poorly on the players. They should try harder for him this next season.
Well, they got him his own home game referees. I don't know what else you expect. :rolleyes:

FlatheadSooner
12/8/2006, 02:18 PM

Something about "a pirate could get a lot of booty in Miami".

:eek:

I_SMELL_FEAR
12/8/2006, 02:41 PM
Leach: "I think I will be good for the program, I will bring some discipline and integrity to the program."

Miami AD: "Whoa...whoa whoa. No one said anything about discipline and integrity."

Fraggle145
12/8/2006, 02:44 PM
Something about "a pirate could get a lot of booty in Miami".

:eek:

AARRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!

Seamus
12/8/2006, 02:48 PM
Interesting per ESPN, Leach didn't interview very well and "The U" people weren't impressed...

No prior felony convictions?

MiccoMacey
12/8/2006, 03:18 PM
What's Leach's favorite restaraunt?

Arrrrrrrby's. :D

Texas Golfer
12/8/2006, 03:38 PM
I'm not sure that it'll reflect all that poorly with his current players. They probably understand.

Where I think it might hurt him is in recruiting. As a parent of a potential recruit, I can think of two concerns right off the bat and could probably come up with more with some thought.

1. If I sent my son to TT, it would be to play for Leach. If Leach is trying to get out, why would I want to send my son there?

2. If Tech is not the school that Leach wants to remain at, why would Tech be the school I'd want my son to remain at?

OUstud
12/8/2006, 03:48 PM
Well this is awkward. It's the pleats. I'm actually taking them back this afternoon...to the...pants store.

Luthor
12/8/2006, 04:02 PM

Leach would not make any legitimate HC short list that I can concieve of. There aren't enough blue chip recruits on the planet to build a D for a Leach team. Does he even use scholarship players on the D? I thinks they're all playing OL and WR.

picasso
12/8/2006, 04:11 PM
Interesting per ESPN, Leach didn't interview very well and "The U" people weren't impressed...I wonder if he took a little too much medication that day??? Then again, he is funny as hell, but I have thought his energy level was on the Gary Gibbs end of the meter, but that may be drug induced.
idiots. didn't interview well? look at the resume.

you do know who the Miami prez is don't you?

stoopified
12/8/2006, 04:18 PM
I personally think Leach was a better choice than Shannon,just IMHO.

TXBOOMER
12/8/2006, 04:21 PM
Leach knows that he is not going to win the Big 12 Conference much lee a national title in Lubbock. I can't blame the guy. Miami would be dangerous on the field with his offense (Dangerous in a football way not a criminal way).

OK2LA
12/8/2006, 04:24 PM
I flipped a guy off this morning that cut me off - we then ended up side by side at the next light.

That's akward.

Easting
12/8/2006, 04:46 PM
Don't see it as anything more than an attempt by Leach to squeeze a few more dollars out of TT's AD.

bluedogok
12/8/2006, 11:44 PM
"Didn't interview well" = Didn't try to kiss their asses

birddog
12/9/2006, 12:28 AM
leach would make me believe he's the man for the job in about 2.5.

what a charasmatic SOB, and weird. don't forget the weird.

maybe 'bama will make a push for him now.