PDA

View Full Version : 2 pages just isn't enough space to explain..

royalfan5
12/7/2006, 05:12 PM
why the pork industry has so much more packer ownership and contracted relationships than the beef industry.

Beef
12/7/2006, 05:15 PM
Beef don't do packer relationships.

Petro-Sooner
12/7/2006, 05:16 PM
Tell me about it.

OUAndy1807
12/7/2006, 07:35 PM
agribusiness sounds so interesting.

royalfan5
12/7/2006, 07:39 PM
agribusiness sounds so interesting.
you better believe it

OUAndy1807
12/7/2006, 07:41 PM
probably about as interesting as the construction business, so I guess I shouldn't talk.

were you an FFA kid? Did you grow up around a farm? How did you get into ag?

royalfan5
12/7/2006, 07:45 PM
probably about as interesting as the construction business, so I guess I shouldn't talk.

were you an FFA kid? Did you grow up around a farm? How did you get into ag?
I was a State FFA officer candidate. My dad, four uncles, both grandfathers, 3 great grandfathers were all or are farmers. I myself bought my first cow when I was ten. It's bred into me pretty deep.

sanantoniosooner
12/7/2006, 07:49 PM
I was a State FFA officer candidate. My dad, four uncles, both grandfathers, 3 great grandfathers were all or are farmers. I myself bought my first cow when I was ten. It's bred into me pretty deep.
The cow bred into you pretty deep?

royalfan5
12/7/2006, 07:51 PM
The cow bred into you pretty deep?
A cow can't breed into you, they aren't capable of penetration

mrowl
12/7/2006, 08:00 PM

there is a joke in that somewhere. :eek:

What are your thoughts on the organic beef market? There is a lot of news lately that there is not enough oversight of it to certify organic? And that maybe 50% of it is not organic... thoughts?

hurricane'bone
12/7/2006, 08:03 PM
Wait...was this for a test or are you seriously writing a two page paper in grad school?

OUAndy1807
12/7/2006, 08:03 PM
is human growth hormone really used to make cows bigger and if so, will it really make my head grow?

royalfan5
12/7/2006, 08:06 PM
there is a joke in that somewhere. :eek:

What are your thoughts on the organic beef market? There is a lot of news lately that there is not enough oversight of it to certify organic? And that maybe 50% of it is not organic... thoughts?
as organic gets bigger and more money gets sucked into it, the less organic it is going to be. Corners are already being cut with dairy, and with beef it will be difficult for anything that isn't grass-fed to be organic just because of the lack of organic feed already which will be exacerbated by the spike in conventional grain prices due to bio-fuels. USDA organic will start drifting towards what Wal-Mart wants it to be, and real organic food will have to re-brand itself.

royalfan5
12/7/2006, 08:07 PM
Wait...was this for a test or are you seriously writing a two page paper in grad school?
It's the first essay question on a six question take home exam.

royalfan5
12/7/2006, 08:11 PM
is human growth hormone really used to make cows bigger and if so, will it really make my head grow?
Many calves do recieve growth hormone implants http://www.ralgrocanada.com/en/product/info.html
. If your head hasn't gotten bigger it probably won't.

mrowl
12/7/2006, 08:12 PM
your right, walmart is going to change the green \ organic market.

royalfan5
12/7/2006, 08:13 PM
your right, walmart is going to change the green \ organic market.
It will be up to the organic producer to differentiate and market, and the consumer to educate themselves if the want true organic food.(And to root for low convential prices to increase supply)

sanantoniosooner
12/7/2006, 08:19 PM
If the stoolwater boys can work out a strapon for a sheep.........I'm just say'n.......

Mjcpr
12/8/2006, 09:49 AM

I always had Howzit pegged as a Holstein.

Okla-homey
12/8/2006, 09:51 AM
It's the first essay question on a six question take home exam.

take home exam? pfftt. No wonder the ag-industry is jacked.;)

royalfan5
12/8/2006, 10:54 AM
take home exam? pfftt. No wonder the ag-industry is jacked.;)
It's an online class, it kind of has to be a take home test. And right now it's only jacked for those whose main deal is livestock, for grain farmers it's 1973 all over again.

1stTimeCaller
12/8/2006, 11:27 AM
I was a State FFA officer candidate.

Did you know that I was a candidate for Biggest Idiot A-hole and most liked poster? Yeah, I didn't win either.

Okla-homey
12/8/2006, 11:29 AM
It's an online class, it kind of has to be a take home test. And right now it's only jacked for those whose main deal is livestock, for grain farmers it's 1973 all over again.

You ain't kiddin. And not just the farmers, but everyone associated with the grain industry. E.g. my baby bro in Wichita. He sells 10 grain trailers for every cattle pot. Timpte's mostly. He also has a grain trailer leasing business. When he takes a good grain trailer in on a trade, instead od reselling it to some wholesale operation who would auction it, he keeps it, fixes it up and leases it out. Right now he's running 25 or so, every stinking one is out and he's making a flippin' killing on that end too.

royalfan5
12/8/2006, 11:50 AM
Did you know that I was a candidate for Biggest Idiot A-hole and most liked poster? Yeah, I didn't win either.
I voted for you on one of those. Apparently someone else is just to strong of a candidate.

royalfan5
12/8/2006, 11:52 AM
You ain't kiddin. And not just the farmers, but everyone associated with the grain industry. E.g. my baby bro in Wichita. He sells 10 grain trailers for every cattle pot. Timpte's mostly. He also has a grain trailer leasing business. When he takes a good grain trailer in on a trade, instead od reselling it to some wholesale operation who would auction it, he keeps it, fixes it up and leases it out. Right now he's running 25 or so, every stinking one is out and he's making a flippin' killing on that end too.
We had a discussion about this in the office the other day. Farmers are going to be buying the **** out of equipment and trucks and the like. It's going to be a great year for Deere, CNH, AGCO, etc as well as all the shortlines and associated logistic stuff like railroads. Mostly it means the job market is looking more favorable for me, which I like.