PDA

View Full Version : Soft Paws

Frozen Sooner
12/7/2006, 12:05 AM
Anyone tried these on their cat?

I just glued a bunch of these suckers to Ted, since he's not declawed, and let me tell you-holding a kitten down while you glue rubber dealie to his claws is not my idea of a fun time on Wednesday night.

How often can I expect to have to do this?

sooner_born_1960
12/7/2006, 12:12 AM
I always had fun putting tape on their little paws, and setting them on the tile floor.

sooner_born_1960
12/7/2006, 12:13 AM
...and I know nothing of these "soft paws".

Jimminy Crimson
12/7/2006, 12:32 AM
I'd think declawing would be a lot easier on you and the cat.

...but it's like cutting off your fingers at the first knuckle! :rolleyes:

RacerX
12/7/2006, 07:39 AM
Yep.

I've had three cats.
Cat #1, lived 11 years, never declawed, not a problem.
Cat #2, still alive, 18 years old , never declawed, not a problem.
Cat #3, still alive, 8 years old, ****ing retarded little ****, had her declawed.

Having #3 declawed was a great decision. Now we're not constantly discipling her and she is a lot more social. I don't regret it all. The cat shouldn't, cuz the alternative was kitty heaven.

Jerk
12/7/2006, 07:47 AM
18 year old cat?

We got a female tabby in our house born in 1989.

She's gonna need a walker, soon. I thinks she's deaf and blind, too. At least she uses the litter box, and we don't have to put Depends® on her.

It's funny...the massive German Shepherd is very gentle with her, but runs the young cats around the house. I think animals are alot smarter than we give them credit for.

OU4LIFE
12/7/2006, 08:38 AM
too bad people aren't.

C&CDean
12/7/2006, 09:05 AM
Cat people creep me out. I mean why?

Jerk
12/7/2006, 09:12 AM
Well, Dean, I think alot of us wouldn't be here if it weren't for cats, because our ancestors would have starved to death. How else were farmers able to control rodents and keep them from eating up all the grain, flour, rice, et al, all stored up? Controlling rodents also meant controlling the spread of diseases and plagues. There's no doubt in my mind that domestic cats were bread for this reason, and we have been kind of enough to let them stick around even with the invention of pesticides and rodent traps.

I like cats because I sleep better knowing that anything with more than 4 legs creeping around inside my house is going to die.

OU4LIFE
12/7/2006, 09:19 AM
Well, Dean, I think alot of us wouldn't be here if it weren't for cats, because our ancestors would have starved to death. How else were farmers able to control rodents and keep them from eating up all the grain, flour, rice, et al, all stored up? Controlling rodents also meant controlling the spread of diseases and plagues. There's no doubt in my mind that domestic cats were bread for this reason, and we have been kind of enough to let them stick around even with the invention of pesticides and rodent traps.

I like cats because I sleep better knowing that anything with more than 4 legs creeping around inside my house is going to die.

I sleep better knowing that anything creeping around outside my house is going to die.

C&CDean
12/7/2006, 09:22 AM

Nuh uh. No you don't. Don't even try to convince me that cats have any meaningful purpose on this planet.

My two rat terriers are so much > your cat in terms of mousing that it's a no-contest. And they're actually loyal pets too. They don't scratch my furniture, stink up my house, leave hair and fur balls everywhere, **** in the flowerbeds, and think they own you - like cats do.

Cats are one of the few animals out there that kill for sport. When I see a cat knock a couple baby birds outta the nest and then "play with them to death" I go get the gun. Cats are sneaky, conniving, underhanded little creatures who's most close relative would have to be Satan.

leavingthezoo
12/7/2006, 09:23 AM
i'm guessing it's a lot easier (on both you and the kitty) to have them sedated and declawed than wired and pinned down while you glue 'em up. one of my cats is mean enough that even if i successfully gave her soft paws, she would find a butcher knife and cut my throat in my sleep.

i'm not sure how long they last. but i bet a few more times and you tell kitty, "I'M CHOPPING YOUR PAWS OFF!"

C&CDean
12/7/2006, 09:24 AM
one of my cats is mean enough that even if i successfully gave her soft paws, she would find a butcher knife and cut my throat in my sleep.

See? I rest my case.

sanantoniosooner
12/7/2006, 09:27 AM
Cats are one of the few animals out there that kill for sport. When I see a cat knock a couple baby birds outta the nest and then "play with them to death" I go get the gun. Cats are sneaky, conniving, underhanded little creatures who's most close relative would have to be Satan.
Thank God this country boy has never seen a dog kill for sport or curiosity.

1stTimeCaller
12/7/2006, 09:28 AM
I sleep better knowing that anything creeping around outside my house is going to die.

speaking of that. Did anyone ever catch the infamous Perkins Chicken Killer that was creeping around IB4OU2's house?

leavingthezoo
12/7/2006, 09:29 AM
... but my neighbors dog is mean enough, he'll just bite my face off when i walk outside my door and i've NEVER given him soft claws.

heh. dean. you ole ***** cat.

Cats are one of the few animals out there that kill for sport. When I see a cat knock a couple baby birds outta the nest and then "play with them to death" I go get the gun.

YOU SHOULD THANK CAT YOU DON'T HAVE BIRD FLU!!!1!1:texan:

C&CDean
12/7/2006, 09:33 AM
Thank God this country boy has never seen a dog kill for sport or curiosity.

There is only one time/situation I've seen dogs kill or injure for sport. And that's when a bunch of pet dogs pack up and start roaming. You can always tell if a pack of dogs or a coyote killed an animal. How? If it was dogs, the mangled up animal is still there. If it was coyotes, you'll never find the dead animal cause they kill for food only.

So, if I find a mangled cat carcass laying around I know it was the dogs that did it. If the cat just disappears, it was coyotes. Or me.

sanantoniosooner
12/7/2006, 09:35 AM
So the birds and squirrels I find in my back yard are due to my dog organizing a pack from the neighborhood?

C&CDean
12/7/2006, 09:38 AM
So the birds and squirrels I find in my back yard are due to my dog organizing a pack from the neighborhood?

Your dog doesn't eat them? Mine do. They also eat the rabbits they kill and most of the smaller mice. Rats? Nope. And I can't say that I blame them.

And you can't compare a dog crunching a squirrell to a cat toying with a baby bird for half-an-hour either.

BlondeSoonerGirl
12/7/2006, 09:40 AM
Cats can be good for getting rid of all the unwanted Taco Bell tacos in the world.

:norm:

Mjcpr
12/7/2006, 09:42 AM

This was happening at my house. The way I found out was we kept going over our wireless minutes and had no idea why.

Also, WTF are soft paws?

sooner_born_1960
12/7/2006, 09:44 AM
Cats are one of the few animals out there that kill for sport.
Proof positive. Cats are people too.

BigRedJed
12/7/2006, 09:58 AM
I've never been a cat person either, but I'll make an exception for a couple that were forced on me by marriage. One of them, the Siamese, never clawed me, or the furniture, ever. She wasn't declawed. Don't get me wrong; she was fussy, and if you were teasing her or petting her in a way that she didn't like, she would reach out frighteningly fast and give you an attitude adjustment with her paw. But her claws were always retracted.

She also slept between my knees every night, and sat on my lap when I was at the computer... ...plus she would follow me around the house and meow in response to every comment I made to her, like she thought we were having a conversation. She never did ANY of the crap Dean says all cats do. So there are exceptions.

That said, I'll take a dog any day over pretty much every cat but her.

OU4LIFE
12/7/2006, 09:59 AM
speaking of that. Did anyone ever catch the infamous Perkins Chicken Killer that was creeping around IB4OU2's house?

Not yet.

muhwhahahahahaha

IB4OU2
12/7/2006, 10:01 AM

We never did....but I 've got a special bullet just waitng to catch it.

btw, we have had a pair of fox living in the woods on our place....they killed my daughters pet rabbit the first year we were there. The rabbit kept getting out of it's hutch and one morning I walked out and saw this red fox trotting off to the edge of the woods with it in it's mouth. I walked out to the back yard and saw him start to eat the rabbit and I yelled at him. He lets go of the rabbit and runs up the trail towards me trying to see what was yelling at him and I just stood there and said to him 'you just killed my daughters rabbit". He turns around and goes back to the rabbit, picks it up and goes further back in the woods with it. I never saw a trace of fur or anything from that rabbit again.

picasso
12/7/2006, 10:04 AM
just a little note. cats will bite harder after you declaw them.

my cat still has her's because we let her out in to the wild that is my yard but she does not bite hard or scratch us.

sanantoniosooner
12/7/2006, 10:38 AM
I've never been a cat person either, but I'll make an exception for a couple that were forced on me by marriage. One of them, the Siamese, never clawed me, or the furniture, ever. She wasn't declawed. Don't get me wrong; she was fussy, and if you were teasing her or petting her in a way that she didn't like, she would reach out frighteningly fast and give you an attitude adjustment with her paw. But her claws were always retracted.

She also slept between my knees every night, and sat on my lap when I was at the computer... ...plus she would follow me around the house and meow in response to every comment I made to her, like she thought we were having a conversation. She never did ANY of the crap Dean says all cats do. So there are exceptions.

That said, I'll take a dog any day over pretty much every cat but her.
I pretty much feel the same way. There are some good cats out there. I'd take a dog 9/10 times though.

Not little pansy dogs either. They're just a cat on mood altering drugs.

picasso
12/7/2006, 10:40 AM
cats kick toy dogs ***.

skycat
12/7/2006, 10:55 AM
I am 100% a dog guy, but I've seen plenty of dogs kill for sport. I mean a lot of dogs. Lots of hunting dogs will still kill whatever critters/birds they can get their jaws around when not on the hunt, but are trained enough not to eat whatever they've killed.

My dogs, which aren't hunting dogs, have killed squirrels in the backyard without eating them. The hunting instinct is still with many dogs, and pretty much all cats, but many of them haven't figured out that what they kill can be food.

Jerk
12/7/2006, 11:07 AM
Dean, you remind me of my dad too much.

sanantoniosooner
12/7/2006, 11:10 AM
Dean, you remind me of my dad too much.
No doubt about it.

Same here.

OU4LIFE
12/7/2006, 11:12 AM
so Dean's your daddy?

heh, Dean porked your mom.

:D

picasso
12/7/2006, 11:15 AM
Dean, you remind me of my Aunt Zelda too much.

me too.

sanantoniosooner
12/7/2006, 11:17 AM
The only characteristic Dean exhibits that isn't exactly like my dad is use of the internet.

My dad thinks it's the debil.

C&CDean
12/7/2006, 11:19 AM
Yeah, and you guys should listen to your dad more often.

What you guys ain't getting is the whole Satan connection. WTF kinda animal can be dropped from 2 inches upside down and still land on it's feet? Only a cat. What kind of animal will purposely injure another animal only to use it for a toy for the next couple hours - and then leave it to die a slow, painful death? Only a cat. What kind of animal can you heap attention on, spend tons of $$ on, attempt to train, sleep with, hand feed, and then it leaves you like you didn't exist when somebody comes along with "better" food? Only a cat. What kind of animal carries nasty diseases that spread to humans - and ONLY they carry these diseases? Only a cat.

Like I said, cats - IN GENERAL - are disloyal, cheating, sneaking little balls of evil. I think that's why some people like them. They remind them of themself.

picasso
12/7/2006, 11:20 AM
The only characteristic Dean exhibits that isn't exactly like my Aunt Ethel is use of the their preferred type of tobacco.

My Aunt Ethel thinks cigarettes is the debil but will dip snuff and smoke cigars all day long.

me too.

sanantoniosooner
12/7/2006, 11:20 AM
Dean, you just described wives.

C&CDean
12/7/2006, 11:21 AM
Dean, you just described wives.

sigh - I rest my case - sigh

Jerk
12/7/2006, 11:22 AM
Dean, seriously, where where you in 1975 and what were you doing?

C&CDean
12/7/2006, 11:26 AM

Most of Januray, February, and March of 1975, I was on an island in Lago Gatun, Canal Zone (Panama for you ignurnt types). I was a corporal working at the Jungle Operations Training Center out of Ft. Sherman. The rest of the year I was pretty much in Ft. Bragg, NC, jumping out of airplanes. I also attended RECONDO school in 1975.

What's your point?

Well, I did **** a parrot, a monkey, and a coatamondi while down there. You got green hair, a red ***, or a ringed tail?

C&CDean
12/7/2006, 11:27 AM

Most of Januray, February, and March of 1975, I was on an island in Lago Gatun, Canal Zone (Panama for you ignurnt types). I was a corporal working at the Jungle Operations Training Center out of Ft. Sherman. The rest of the year I was pretty much in Ft. Bragg, NC, jumping out of airplanes. I also attended RECONDO school in 1975.

I did **** a parrot, a monkey, and a coatamondi while in Panama. You got green hair, a red ***, or a ringed tail?

picasso
12/7/2006, 11:29 AM
you sure you weren't a cat skinner out in southeastern Colorado?

or my Aunt Ethel?

Jerk
12/7/2006, 11:29 AM
ROFL!

At can't help help but laugh, even though that was at my expense.

C&CDean
12/7/2006, 11:30 AM
It woulda been funnier if it wasn't a double-post .... sorta.

Jerk
12/7/2006, 11:37 AM
Still, one for the archives.

skycat
12/7/2006, 11:37 AM
Edit

Jeez I was slow to that one.

C&CDean
12/7/2006, 11:38 AM
Wait, wait, wait... Dean attempted to train and sleep with a cat?

Well, after parrots, monkeys, and coatamondis, what's a cat?

skycat
12/7/2006, 11:40 AM
And now I was slow to the edit button. :mad:

sanantoniosooner
12/7/2006, 11:42 AM
And now I was slow to the edit button. :mad:
One more strike and you have to register as KSUheifer.

skycat
12/7/2006, 11:47 AM
Please, don't start calling me animal names in this thread. :O

RacerX
12/7/2006, 12:41 PM
18 year old cat?

We got a female tabby in our house born in 1989.

She's gonna need a walker, soon. I thinks she's deaf and blind, too. At least she uses the litter box, and we don't have to put Depends® on her.

It's funny...the massive German Shepherd is very gentle with her, but runs the young cats around the house. I think animals are alot smarter than we give them credit for.
Our 18 year old dominates our 8 year old. They usually have a fight around 9pm almost every night.

Joe
12/7/2006, 04:57 PM
I'm about ready to kill me a ****ing cat. We brought my sons cat in for the winter a few weeks ago so it wouldn't die from the cold. Last night I sat out some ribs to defrost and we had some muffins my wife fixed for the kids' breakfast.

I wake up this morning to find he tore into the ziploc bag and ate all the muffins, and ripped/gouged at my rack of ribs. There's no way I'm gonna try to salvage them. I swear, letting him outside for 8 months made this cat go crazy. He thinks all the food in the house is his and he can do as he pleases with it. And it's impossible to teach a cat anything so I have no hope of this changing.

I'd take it out and shoot it right now but we just got finished taking the boys birthday gift back to the Humane Society (manchester terrier). They lied to us and said the dog was house trained, turns out he wasn't and it was impossible to break him of his habit. We have absolutely no luck finding a good pet for our kids.

There's a new baby on the way due in Feb. and the more I think about it, the more I know that I'm going to have to do something. Might as well get it out of the way now :(

StoopTroup
12/7/2006, 05:32 PM
I'd like to give my dog a cat pelt quilt for Christmas.

Vaevictis
12/7/2006, 05:51 PM
Soft paws last from 4-8 weeks, depending on the cat's behavior.

And for the record, I hate cats. I fully agree (in general) with Dean's assessment of cats.

Sure, there are good cats, but in general, they're a bunch of thieving, conniving, evil little bastards.

And they're ****ing nasty to boot. Sure, they like to clean themselves, but they also like to **** and **** where they live.

Frozen Sooner
12/7/2006, 05:52 PM
I'm about ready to kill me a ****ing cat. We brought my sons cat in for the winter a few weeks ago so it wouldn't die from the cold. Last night I sat out some ribs to defrost and we had some muffins my wife fixed for the kids' breakfast.

I wake up this morning to find he tore into the ziploc bag and ate all the muffins, and ripped/gouged at my rack of ribs. There's no way I'm gonna try to salvage them. I swear, letting him outside for 8 months made this cat go crazy. He thinks all the food in the house is his and he can do as he pleases with it. And it's impossible to teach a cat anything so I have no hope of this changing.

I'd take it out and shoot it right now but we just got finished taking the boys birthday gift back to the Humane Society (manchester terrier). They lied to us and said the dog was house trained, turns out he wasn't and it was impossible to break him of his habit. We have absolutely no luck finding a good pet for our kids.

There's a new baby on the way due in Feb. and the more I think about it, the more I know that I'm going to have to do something. Might as well get it out of the way now :(

No offense dude, but you really shouldn't own pets.

Vaevictis
12/7/2006, 05:54 PM
No kidding. If your first instinct is to kill the ****ing thing when you don't like what it's doing, then don't get an animal in the first place.

The animal's behavior is generally a reflection of *your* behavior. You let the cat live outside? Of COURSE it ****ing went wild.

And as far as the dog is concerned, have you tried crate training it?

sanantoniosooner
12/7/2006, 05:55 PM
Guys, Joe isn't house trained himself.

Take it easy on him.

Frozen Sooner
12/7/2006, 05:59 PM
The contention that you can't train cats is bunk, by the way. Neither one of my cats gets on the counter anymore. Why? Because I trained them not to. Neither one of them eats the houseplant anymore. Why? Because I trained them not to.

It takes a little patience to train 'em, sure. You've got to keep a squirt bottle handy and if that fails put some mousetraps where you don't want them to go, but it works

Vaevictis
12/7/2006, 06:08 PM
It also helps to put white vinegar in the squirt bottle ;)

NormanPride
12/7/2006, 06:10 PM
The contention that you can't train cats is bunk, by the way. Neither one of my cats gets on the counter anymore. Why? Because I trained them not to. Neither one of them eats the houseplant anymore. Why? Because I trained them not to.

It takes a little patience to train 'em, sure. You've got to keep a squirt bottle handy and if that fails put some mousetraps where you don't want them to go, but it works

No, they're just waiting for an opportunity to strike. It may never come, but believe me when I say they're waiting for it.

My cat is really a dog. He fetches, heels (most of the time), and meows when I tell him to (most of the time). He also eats everything, like a dog.

Frozen Sooner
12/7/2006, 06:14 PM
It also helps to put white vinegar in the squirt bottle ;)

Heh. Rice vinegar works too. I dilute it thought.

BajaOklahoma
12/7/2006, 07:07 PM
You might be able to get the local pet store to put them on a large fee.

We chose to declaw our kitten. She hasn't realized it yet, 6 months later. She doesn't bite, even the dogs. She does like to hit and run though - a flying leap with legs spread out that lands her on the dog's face and then she takes off across the room.

Frozen Sooner
12/7/2006, 07:10 PM
Actually, it wasn't that bad so long as I don't have to do it every couple of weeks.

Vaevictis
12/7/2006, 11:18 PM
Our vet will put them on for $15 a cat, if you're willing to pay that.

Of course, our vet isn't in Alaska.

Ash
12/7/2006, 11:50 PM
Nuh uh. No you don't. Don't even try to convince me that cats have any meaningful purpose on this planet.

My two rat terriers are so much > your cat in terms of mousing that it's a no-contest. And they're actually loyal pets too. They don't scratch my furniture, stink up my house, leave hair and fur balls everywhere, **** in the flowerbeds, and think they own you - like cats do.

AMEN

"See, that's why I'm not a cat person."