PDA

View Full Version : Recuiting 101: Don't do what this guy did

snp
12/6/2006, 10:57 PM
http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/sports/16171626.htm

A Lakeland High School football player is under investigation for allegedly accepting gifts that could violate rules of amateurism, according to the Florida High School Athletic Association.

Chris Rainey, Lakeland's star senior running back, told The Miami Herald he received sports jerseys and jewelry from a Lakeland clothing vendor in exchange for an autograph. He also said he received cash from an unknown elderly woman.

''I didn't even count it,'' Rainey said in a story published Tuesday. ``When I walk around, people are buying me food, giving me money. I'm like, damn, I'm glad I'm Chris Rainey. It's real nice to be me.''

Efforts to reach Rainey for additional comment later Tuesday were unsuccessful.

Bylaw 11.9.1 of the FHSAA rules handbook states that ``a student may not participate in an athletic activity of the Association unless he/she is an amateur. A student who has accepted remuneration, gift or donation for participation in a sport is . . . thereafter disqualified for further participation in that sport in high school for a period of one year.''

Lakeland (14-0), ranked No. 1 in the nation in some polls, plays Fort Lauderdale St. Thomas Aquinas (12-1) on Friday at Dolphin Stadium in the FHSAA's Class 5A state championship. Lakeland is a two-time defending Class 5A state champion.

FHSAA Commissioner John Stewart contacted Miami Herald Executive Sports Editor Jorge Rojas on Tuesday morning to verify the authenticity of the quote attributed to Rainey.

''We stand by the reporting in the story,'' Rojas said. ``It's all on tape.''

In a letter sent to The Miami Herald, Stewart said, `This office is notifying Lakeland High School that the FHSAA is beginning a formal investigation into this matter.''

He later said, ``We're looking at it and talking to Lakeland people to see what is going on. . . . We have to prove that [Rainey] accepted gifts. It's going to be his word against the reporter's.''

Lakeland Athletic Director Sid Kimbrell confirmed Tuesday that the FHSAA contacted Lakeland about possible rules violations.

''We're looking into it and that's all the comment I want to make on it,'' Kimbrell said.

The audio is on the page. I kinda feel bad for the kid since it seems like he didn't even realize what he was doing illegal. I'm not sure how his coaches haven't warned him about this, but that reporter just kept egging him on.

It'll be kinda sad if he loses his eligibility over this.

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/6/2006, 11:08 PM
To be honest...if he is that dumb now, he wouldn't have made it through much college anyway

BASSooner
12/7/2006, 01:17 AM
If a coach realizes that one of his players are being recruited, he should tell him some obstacles to avoid, such as those like the first post.

starrca23
12/7/2006, 11:19 AM
A high school kid talking about himself in third person. Sounds like Rickey Henderson. "Ricky is the greatest!"

boomersooner28
12/7/2006, 12:47 PM
"I'm glad I'm Chris Rainey"

Heh

TheHumanAlphabet
12/7/2006, 12:56 PM
Over on the football board...

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85107

stoopified
12/7/2006, 04:47 PM
What a dufus! Better call Mike Gundy,he is goona want to recruit this guy.

snp
12/8/2006, 04:21 AM
Over on the football board...

http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85107

:mad: I'm trying to get some more activity going on in here, since this is the recruiting forum and no one but 15 of us care about this place. It's like our private place.

TheHumanAlphabet
12/8/2006, 04:18 PM
Yeah, I hear you, but unfortunately there are more responses unfortunately on the football board...

That being said, is this guy toast at Fla?

Not to mention, he probably won't be very successful at a higher learning institute just based on how he responded to questions and how he deported himself...

The Consumate Showman
12/8/2006, 08:14 PM
This has got to be one of the most hilarious things I've ever heard as far as recruitng goes. I mean, you can't give a potential recruit a piece of bubble gum without scruitny. He's getting jerseys, shoes, fodd, and money...and I'm sorry, but he KNOWS what is illegal and what is not. You aren't a 4 star recruit and not know what's illegal and what's not.

This case sounded more like to me that Rainey thought "It won't happen to me" and now his high school team may have to forfeit all of their games he played in, not to mention the possible trouble Urban could get in to. Maybe he caught the Bomar-Flu...

starrca23
12/8/2006, 10:44 PM
I bet his coach just exploded. What can you say? IDIOT

BoomerGirl34
12/8/2006, 11:21 PM
That guy is a complete tool!

TheHumanAlphabet
12/11/2006, 03:35 PM
So what was the outcome - forfeit?

goingoneight
12/11/2006, 11:28 PM
http://www.athlonsports.com/images/articles/Bomar-Rhett.JPG