PDA

View Full Version : Lakeland HS football team's quest in jeopardy !

OUinFLA
12/6/2006, 08:56 PM
Holy Crap!
The team is going for an unprecidented third straight 5A championship, has a 44 game win streak going and up pops the "idiot" syndrome.

I'm too stupid for my clothes (http://www.baynews9.com/content/36/2006/12/6/204804.html?title=Raining+on+his+parade?)

BAY NEWS 9
TAMPA, FLORIDA

RaRaining on his parade?
Wednesday, December 6, 2006 7:55

Rainey has made a verbal commitment to play at the University of Florida next year.The Lakeland High School football team will be going for its third straight state championship and sixth overall when it plays St. Thomas Aquinas in South Florida Friday night.

However, the Dreadnaughts could be without star running back Chris Rainey when they take the field. Rainey, who ran for 326 yards in last week's victory over Daytona Beach Mainland, told a Miami Herald reporter in a story published Tuesday that he he had accepted gifts, including clothes and money from fans.

''I didn't even count it,'' Rainey said in a taped interview regarding a wad of cash a woman gave him. "When I walk around, people are buying me food, giving me money. I'm like, 'Damn, I'm glad I'm Chris Rainey. It's real nice to be me.' ''

Rainey seemed to be completely unaware what he was saying could get him in trouble.

"My cousin came and like, "This man want to meet you. He wants you to sign this ball. And he'll give you free clothes,' " Rainey said on the tape. "And I was like, 'What?' So I signed a ball and he gave all kinds of free watches, necklace, shoes, clothes."

Rainey continued on to say it wasn't just Lakeland High merchandise he was given, but regular clothes.

Lakeland High Principal Mark Thomas and the Florida High School Athletic Association are both investigating whether Rainey did accept gifts. Bylaw 11.9.1 of the FHSAA rules handbook states students are not allowed to accept gifts or donation of an intrinsic value for participation in a sport, according to the Miami Herald.

If the investigations conclude he did, the team could be forced to forfeit all the games he played in this season. In a faxed statement on behalf of Rainey, attorney Robert Puterbaugh said Rainey was joking with the paper.

"Anyone listening to or reading his comments should be able to hear or see the hyperbole in those comments," said Puterbaugh. "Chris unequivocally denies having accepted any remuneration, gift or donation for participating in any sports activity."

Students are hoping the team's season isn't ruined and Rainey gets to play in the state championship game.

"We would love him to play," said student Carlos Monge. "He's a good guy and we all love him."

Dreadnaught fan Frances McCraine is also hoping for the best and hoping people won't be too harsh in their judgments if Rainey did violate rules.

"I know we think they are supposed to know better," said McCraine. "But they are just kids."

Thomas says he hasn't wrapped up his investigation yet and hasn't decided if Rainey will get to play in Friday's big game. The FHSAA is also continuing to investigate and says it won't finish until after the game, so it is ultimately up to the school whether Rainey plays.

guzziguy
12/6/2006, 08:59 PM
Bet he goes to Miami.

Jello Biafra
12/6/2006, 09:11 PM
Bet he goes to Miami.

bet he doesn't go to school at all.

OUinFLA
12/6/2006, 11:08 PM
I just listened to the interview.
The kid just doesnt sound like college material.

page link (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/16173414.htm)
click audio

too bad, as he is an athletic stud.

soonerloyal
12/6/2006, 11:19 PM
I saw that, too. Ooops.

He's awfully young for Bomaritis to strike, but it's likely to be a terminal case, judging from the interview.

yermom
12/6/2006, 11:25 PM
heh, that **** doesn't fly in college either...

OUinFLA
12/6/2006, 11:30 PM
hmm, tonight they have decided to let the kid play in the state championship game Friday night.
the State FHSAA says they wont rule until next week.

So, suppose they let him play, Lakeland wins, and then the FHSAA says he is ineligible, and strip Lakeland of all the games he played in (which is all of them), including the State Championship. What a pile of crap. Seems to me that the FHSAA ought to make a ruling real quick.

Although, the local news said, it was unlikely that anyone in Lakeland was going to own up to actually giving the kid anything. Well, Doh.

Jello Biafra
12/6/2006, 11:51 PM
hmm, tonight they have decided to let the kid play in the state championship game Friday night.

So, suppose they let him play, Lakeland wins, and then the FHSAA says he is ineligible, and strip Lakeland of all the games he played in (which is all of them), including the State Championship. What a pile of crap. Seems to me that the FHSAA ought to make a ruling real quick.

Although, the local news said, it was unlikely that anyone in Lakeland was going to own up to actually giving the kid anything. Well, Doh.

no. seriously. i bet he doesn't play in college at all.

as in.....he's ruined his amatuer status if anything AT ALL comes out of this. I don't think any teams would be willing to take on this kind of heat on a kid that has never stepped foot on campus or taken a snap. well......maybe miami...

tulsaoilerfan
12/6/2006, 11:55 PM
I'm sure Pokie State would take him in a heartbeat; does he play hoops also?

tator
12/7/2006, 12:20 AM
This story makes me giggle, and I feel bad because of it

TUSooner
12/7/2006, 10:06 AM
***In a faxed statement on behalf of Rainey, attorney Robert Puterbaugh said Rainey was joking with the paper.

"Anyone listening to or reading his comments should be able to hear or see the hyperbole in those comments," said Puterbaugh. "Chris unequivocally denies realizing how ferking stupid it was for him admit getting all that cool stuff."***
That's what the lawyer meant to say.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/7/2006, 10:23 AM

Woule "they" be the FHSAA ruling that he can play? If it is anything like Missouri the coach might have to sit him because if they rule he is ineligible even after the fact the championship game is forfeited.

Agree that he has no chance of playing DI ball anywhere. It sounds like where he goes NCAA probation will be quick to follow.

soonerloyal
12/7/2006, 10:54 AM
It's interesting though, that people wanna hang a young high school player for this, and whine that Stoops didn't do enough fast enough with B and Q...but Leinart and Bush get a pass on transgressions and pats on the head to boot.

No parity or justice in the NCAA if you're not SUC or ND.

DrZaius
12/7/2006, 11:09 AM
I read about this kid. He supposedly got more than that stuff listed in the article. He is a FLORIDA COMMIT. Well at least until this broke.

#1-Erin-Higgins-Fan
12/7/2006, 11:37 AM
Kids these days...

TheHumanAlphabet
12/7/2006, 11:42 AM
I just listened to the interview.
The kid just doesnt sound like college material.

page link (http://www.miami.com/mld/miamiherald/16173414.htm)
click audio

too bad, as he is an athletic stud.

Yeah, like uh, I got nolej and dang, I get stuff and like uh I need my edjumacation...

Don't think he'll be in school long or will be going to Florida any time soon...

poke4christ
12/14/2006, 12:36 PM
Unfortunatly, this kind of stuff is probably not limited to Miami. All it takes is one donor with heavy pockets and a stupid recruit.

Aries
12/14/2006, 12:50 PM
What's the harm in him going ahead and playing in the championship game? If they rule him ineligible the week after, they have to forfeit their other wins for the season and forfeit the championship anyway, right?

yermom
12/14/2006, 12:53 PM
i guess that is what the coaches thought too ;)

he played and they won, didn't they?

yur-out
12/14/2006, 12:58 PM
Agree that he has no chance of playing DI ball anywhere.
I'm thinkig he might be able to play at Sam Houston.;)

batonrougesooner
12/14/2006, 01:03 PM
There is no way for Florida to prove that any gifts this guy may have received didn't have anything to do with his recruitment to their program.

Seems like just too complicated of a situation for Florida or any other school to have to deal with.

Perhaps he will enjoy Juco.

Pricetag
12/14/2006, 01:13 PM
"Anyone listening to or reading his comments should be able to hear or see the hyperbole in those comments," said Puterbaugh.
Exactly. When I was reading the kid's statements, I was thinking hyperbole all the way.

LSUdeek
12/14/2006, 01:33 PM
I couldn't think of a better thing to happen to Urban Cryer and the gayturds.

OUinFLA
12/14/2006, 02:42 PM
i guess that is what the coaches thought too ;)

he played and they won, didn't they?

Yes, they did win. It was a very exciting 4th qtr and double ot.
I posted the action of the 4th qtr in this thread "a la" ouflak. (my game thread hero).

4th qtr pbp (http://www.soonerfans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=85269)

The kid is a phenom runner, I had never seen him play until this game.

In the semi final and the final game he ran for over 600 yds combined. Playing against two other undefeated teams. Lakeland had no pass game at all this year. In the final game I think they only passed twice in the entire game. Both short yardage completions.

As of today, I have heard no further word on his bomaresque shennaigams.
:D