PDA

View Full Version : Is anyone else tentative about Adrian playing . . .

OK2LA
12/6/2006, 08:33 PM
I'm just curious if anyone else has any concerns about Adrian playing in the Fiesta Bowl.

Here are a few of my concerns -

1. We have "gelled" as a team with the 'running back by committe'.
- Changing this could disrupt the team/team chemistry going on right now?

2. Adrian's health.
- I'm no doctor - I just play one on the internet. Let's just say that he gets hurt AGAIN - I'd feel horrible! (not to mention how much hell Stoops would catch) I'll assume that his family would take out an insurance policy on him to try to protect his interests, but this worries me. First and foremost for his safety, and future.

3. Do you think that the team had a "Kobe" like reverance for A.D.?
- I don't know if it's really possible or not in football, but players in different positions have stepped up when A.D. went down. Patrick/Brown - the O.L., the wide receivers, and P.T. for sure. It almost seemed like they said: "Well, our workhorse is gone, I'm going to have to take it to a new level - we all are - we all gotta step up." It seems that some teams that have a superstar - ala Kobe or A.I. - tend to be in awe of him and kinda step back and watch sometimes. (maybe this is easier to do in basketball with the individuals mentioned above?)

I guess it depends upon how the team reacts to him coming back. I guess it's never a bad thing to have the best athlete in the nation on your side. Am I just looking for excuses to be nervous about this game?:confused:

The Ensuing Kickoff
12/6/2006, 08:40 PM
I am tentative.

Easy180
12/6/2006, 08:46 PM
Heck no...Want to see him run one last time in a crimson uniform before he goes to a god awful pro team...Nothing to lose by having the best running back in the nation back in your backfield

He will easily go over 180 against their undersized defense

oilmud
12/6/2006, 08:50 PM
10-12 snaps

WakeflyingSooner
12/6/2006, 08:53 PM
Seems to me that Bob has figured out his new Offense. Bring in the biggest and baddest O-linemen in the country and play the fastest DB's in the backfield.

Edmond Sooner
12/6/2006, 08:58 PM
I understand exactly what you're saying. He has been a class act throughout this ordeal, on the sidelines with his team mates, encouraging them, when it would have been so busy to get on with what will no doubt be an stellar NFL career.

Still, I think if he really didn't want to play, he wouldn't be. And I don't think it will disrupt the team's chemistry in any serious way, though I could be wrong.

Just my $0.02.

All_Day_28
12/6/2006, 09:02 PM
Heck no...Want to see him run one last time in a crimson uniform before he goes to a god awful pro team...Nothing to lose by having the best running back in the nation back in your backfield

He will easily go over 180 against their undersized defense
^^^^^^^

badger
12/6/2006, 09:05 PM
I just read the "attn noobs" thread and would you know that the first post says 'adrian peterson injury' threads are in surplus mode!

but to answer your question (and I personally don't care if there are 20 thread or 20 thousand), I am not worried. AD has something to prove and has a record he deserves... and if he gets injured, well, he has a year of eligibility left at the top football program in the country (and yes, we are. the fact that we aren't ranked #1 does NOT mean that we are not the top program)

Collier11
12/6/2006, 09:08 PM
NO, NOT AT ALL!! I do think if he plays he will only carry about 15 times tops, but thats just my opinion

Blues1
12/6/2006, 09:11 PM
I've said before THe Season Started - Would Love to See OU with Two Fast Tailbacks in the Game at the same Time ....AD and AP - AD and CB - Let them All Rock out the 2006 Season....JMHO.................. :)

Sooners 52 - BS 22 --- (A&M will beat texas) --- :)

TripleOption14
12/6/2006, 09:17 PM
10-12 snaps

Ding Ding Ding Ding... we have a WIINNNNAAA ladies and gentlemen!!

Just one last time for all the OU fans to watch before he rides off into the sunset.

OKLA21FAN
12/6/2006, 09:21 PM
10-12 snaps
actually, i like to see (if he is really 90 to 100%) about 20 snaps.

with 8 to 10 of those snaps as him as the decoy

All_Day_28
12/6/2006, 09:24 PM
let's be real here.. if he plays:

25-30 carries 200+ yards...

WakeflyingSooner
12/6/2006, 09:45 PM
Plays till he beats the record if he does.

KingDavid
12/6/2006, 09:45 PM
AD's risks at that point will be no greater than they will be during his first game in the NFL. Football players play football when they are healthy. That's all there is. If he doesn't play for his team when he is able to play, his stock in the draft will go down. It certainly would with me if I was an NFL GM. I want players who lay it on the line for their team, and are self-less. That's the kind of player AD is. It's what makes him special. He's going to ask to carry the ball 40 times. And if it's there, I say we give it to him.

Chrisrokc
12/6/2006, 09:51 PM
I know chances are slim but you guys are just totally cutting out the fact he might possibly stay on. He also told Billy Sims to WATCH OUT because he is going for it on News 9. I say 20+ snaps 200 yards. :cool:

OKLA21FAN
12/6/2006, 09:54 PM
AD's risks at that point will be no greater than they will be during his first game in the NFL. Football players play football when they are healthy. That's all there is. If he doesn't play for his team when he is able to play, his stock in the draft will go down. It certainly would with me if I was an NFL GM. I want players who lay it on the line for their team, and are self-less. That's the kind of player AD is. It's what makes him special. He's going to ask to carry the ball 40 times. And if it's there, I say we give it to him.

and Lloyd's of London doesn't hurt much either

westcoast_sooner
12/6/2006, 09:56 PM
Look, if these guys were afraid of getting hurt they wouldn't be playing college football. Take out the insurance policy to protect against, but that's just a smart thing to do anyway. But, IMO, he should go out and play as hard as he can. Coach Stoops shouldn't alter his game plan. With AD in the game, if we run the ball, we run the ball. If it's AP or Chris Brown, then we run the ball. What we've seen is that the O-Line has turned into a bunch of nasties that move stuff out of the way (unless you're Nebbish and sell out to stop the run because you don't believe that Paul Thompson can beat you with his arm).

Seems to me that the O-Line would want to be a part of an offense that helped AD break the record - point of pride and all that.

AD plays - he runs for 200+.

sooner-n-ga
12/6/2006, 10:06 PM
AD will be wearing crimson next season, He is hearing that the injury has hurt his draft status and he will return for another season.

You heard it here first.

RRWSooner
12/6/2006, 10:07 PM
AD will be wearing crimson next season, He is hearing that the injury has hurt his draft status and he will return for another season.

You heard it here first.

I hope your right but I doubt it..

mightysooner
12/6/2006, 10:08 PM
Means we can expect a loaded box the entire game. Now....as long as we don't curtail Thomspon throwing the bal we'll be fine. I think Kelly could have another monster game.

RRWSooner
12/6/2006, 10:09 PM
Means we can expect a loaded box the entire game. Now....as long as we don't curtail Thomspon throwing the bal we'll be fine. I think Kelly could have another monster game.

yes

WakeflyingSooner
12/6/2006, 10:12 PM
The Sports Animal here in Houston is is pushing the Texans to use thier first draft pick on AD. As much as they HATE David Carr.. They are really pushing the AD conversation!!

AlabamaSooner
12/6/2006, 10:16 PM
I'm not real tentative about it because if AD feels like he can play and is cleared to play, then he should be fine. I do have to say that I feel sorry (not really) for Boise State because as good as we've been playing, you add in a little AD and that's lethal I think. Besides, I know both us as fans and him want to beat the record so I really wouldn't be surprised to see him have a monster game. After being out for so long, you've got to believe that he is just itching to get back out on the field and butts heads with some linebackers.

fwsooner22
12/6/2006, 10:26 PM
I'm not real tentative about it because if AD feels like he can play and is cleared to play, then he should be fine. I do have to say that I feel sorry (not really) for Boise State because as good as we've been playing, you add in a little AD and that's lethal I think. Besides, I know both us as fans and him want to beat the record so I really wouldn't be surprised to see him have a monster game. After being out for so long, you've got to believe that he is just itching to get back out on the field and butts heads with some linebackers.

That is just about exactly the way I feel about it.....I will add I cannot wait for January 1, 2007

Texas Golfer
12/6/2006, 10:28 PM
Plays till he beats the record if he does.

I agree. If he's still able, he'll get as many carries as is necessary to break the record.

bixby28
12/6/2006, 10:36 PM
the coaching staff will know how far along he is before January 1. I suspect he'll start practicing this week and will be full-go by the Fiesta Bowl.

He's coming.

props
12/6/2006, 10:41 PM
i don't think the coaching staff can keep AD off the field. the guy has been a model teammate, and provided a lot of leadership. if he's close, and he wants to play (which, i think it's obvious he wants to), there's no way the staff can tell AD he's got to sit out the last chance he has to play in crimson.

Texas Golfer
12/6/2006, 10:51 PM
I hope the offensive line realizes that this could be their last game opening holes for AD and play their best game ever for him.

soonerloyal
12/6/2006, 11:04 PM
I'd give Mack's left nut* if AD was to stay another year, IF he wants to stay. But above all, I want that young man to do what's best for his future, and that means stay healthy, happy and safe.

It positively burns my saddle that announcers keep calling him a "cheerleader" for the team. I don't hear them refer to any other injured player supporting from the sidelines such a stupid thing.

*Assuming he didn't give the tiny thing already to Satan for a year with VY...

tbl
12/6/2006, 11:06 PM
I was tentative before reading this thread, but it jogged my mind to think about what a stud he is and how much I look forward to seeing him run again. Heck I get excited seeing him on the sidelines in street clothes.

I do want to see AP get at least 35% of the carries though. The guy deserves it... (Brown should get some as well)

WakeflyingSooner
12/6/2006, 11:07 PM
I heard the same. H also wants to win the Big!!

badger
12/6/2006, 11:16 PM
face it, the injury has hurt his draft status. think about that loser USC wide receiver that wanted to bolt for the draft when slo mo (from ohio st, lest we forget, will it happen again?). He was the top-rated receiver in the country and was destined to be a top pick (I think they had him slated at #2 in the first round).

Alas, he was but a sophomore, and by signing an agent, he couldn't return for his junior year. After sitting out a year, he was out of the spotlight, and his draft stock fell. Not only that, but he was kind of out of shape when he stepped on the field for the NFL.

Scouts remember stuff like that. AD needs to show that there isn't any rust on his wheels, and that he's just as powerful and fast as he was pre-dive-into-the-endzone.

If he doesn't... well, first rounders, wherever they go, still make more money than everyone on this board.

picasso
12/6/2006, 11:48 PM
these people that wonder about team chemistry or our running game being better without AD are absolutely frickin nuts.

our running game getting better just might have something to do with the line playing better. just a thought.

have some of you people forgotten the fact that Adrian is almost Superman?:confused:

washington's fave
12/6/2006, 11:59 PM
I'm just curious if anyone else has any concerns about Adrian playing in the Fiesta Bowl.

2. Adrian's health.
- I'm no doctor - I just play one on the internet. Let's just say that he gets hurt AGAIN - I'd feel horrible! (not to mention how much hell Stoops would catch) I'll assume that his family would take out an insurance policy on him to try to protect his interests, but this worries me. First and foremost for his safety, and future.

- I don't know if it's really possible or not in football, but players in different positions have stepped up when A.D. went down. Patrick/Brown - the O.L., the wide receivers, and P.T. for sure. It almost seemed like they said: "Well, our workhorse is gone, I'm going to have to take it to a new level - we all are - we all gotta step up." It seems that some teams that have a superstar - ala Kobe or A.I. - tend to be in awe of him and kinda step back and watch sometimes. (maybe this is easier to do in basketball with the individuals mentioned above?)

I guess it depends upon how the team reacts to him coming back. I guess it's never a bad thing to have the best athlete in the nation on your side. Am I just looking for excuses to be nervous about this game?:confused:

WTF!! Do you really think if AD played in the Big 12 Championship he would have gained less yards than the other OU backs did? The backs that played are studs and will do well against ALL others but MY GOD AD would have spent himself out running down the field scoring TD'S. When AD is healthy he has the highest YPC of all the current HBacks that get game time on the team. My personal opinion is if AD would have played OU would not have relied on PT as much as they did. They would have still needed plays from Paul but the victory would not have depended on him. When AD runs WILD against BSU for 300+ yards remember to bow down to me!!!! :cool:

tator
12/7/2006, 12:10 AM
I don't think subsituting a great back and a very, very good back (both of which have similar running styles) will distrupt anything. I'd like to think it might even give the Sooners an extra boost; he has been a great team supporter while on the sideline.

tator
12/7/2006, 12:13 AM
If he doesn't... well, first rounders, wherever they go, still make more money than everyone on this board.

Put together, most likely. I think it is an interesting dilemma for him.

I feel like, even being injured, he has an aura of greatness around him going into the draft.

It will be interesting to see how his performance in the game changes or doesn't change that.

bosworthsteroidmafia
12/7/2006, 12:15 AM
AD will be a Raider or a Packer and a rich muthatucka. You heard it here first ;)

Jello Biafra
12/7/2006, 12:17 AM
AD will be a Raider or a Packer and a rich muthatucka. You heard it here first ;)

gawd.....i think i'll have to kill myself if he becomes a packer. isn't it bad enough already that TRRW is a cudboy?

bosworthsteroidmafia
12/7/2006, 12:20 AM
i here you... hes gonna go to one of the terrible teams unless someone trades up for him...

DenverSooner751
12/7/2006, 12:27 AM

Would be nice to see Denver suck ballz all of next year, have AD stay in for a Sr. tour and then get drafted by Shannahan and play behind that dirty blocking mofo offensive line.

With that said, I would say AD will get the carries. Record or no record. That is the kind of guy he is.
However, Don't think for a second one of those 5'0" cornerbacks from BSU stands an M F'ing chance at stopping home boy. He will hit the hole and head out like a baby, as in....running down the field like there is free pu ssy at the endzone.

bob
12/7/2006, 12:27 AM
You're over thinking this. He should play and will play well. Can be spelled by AP when tired, and the coaches will put AP in if they feel they need to.

DenverSooner751
12/7/2006, 12:29 AM
You're over thinking this. He should play and will play well. Can be spelled by AP when tired, and the coaches will put AP in if they feel they need to.

How is this overthinking it?
Sounds to me like you got no faith.
Bud just called and said you get no sooner magic in your stocking for Xmas....because by your calculations AD needs all of it that he can get to be able to run against the high school secondary from Taco Bell U.

Chrisrokc
12/7/2006, 01:16 AM
To stack on to the comments about AD staying I think it is a big possibility even though most think the chances are slim. If you have THAT much talent and know you could have the Heisman, Beat Billy Sims record by 2000+yards, and possibly go onto a national championship title, you would have to think.... would you want to stay to have all that glory?

Glory and Legends live forever, money doesn't. :D

BoomerSooner247
12/7/2006, 01:33 AM
exactly how many rushing yards does he need in order to beat Billy? i know its under 200 (or at least i think so) but how many exactly?

Texas Golfer
12/7/2006, 01:39 AM
exactly how many rushing yards does he need in order to beat Billy? i know its under 200 (or at least i think so) but how many exactly?

150 yards to tie him, 151 to beat him.

ashley
12/7/2006, 08:32 AM
For crying out loud, of course he should play. He just had a broken collar bone and that was eight weeks ago.

TripleOption14
12/7/2006, 08:43 AM

I think the Raaaiidddaas need a QB before they need a RB. This leads me to believe that B. Quinn will be a Raider which is funny as hell since Quinn is Tom Brady golden boy times 50!!

I could she AD to the Packers unfortunately. Or the Browns

CtheB
12/7/2006, 09:12 AM
Just a reminder, but I believe that the first snap he took after his injury last year (2005) was a 50 yard TD run at Nebraska. Correct?

Regardless, if he can play, you're silly not to want him out there.

Blues1
12/7/2006, 09:37 AM
To stack on to the comments about AD staying I think it is a big possibility even though most think the chances are slim. If you have THAT much talent and know you could have the Heisman, Beat Billy Sims record by 2000+yards, and possibly go onto a national championship title, you would have to think.... would you want to stay to have all that glory?

Glory and Legends live forever, money doesn't. :D

I've been thinking the same thing .....It would NOT surprise me to hear AD is coming back for his Senior year.....

Reasons...
Love of the College game...
Break tons of records
Get even stronger and faster
Get that degree his Mom wants him to have
Finnally have a Offensive Line that can really Block
Just for the FUN of it....
Playing Miami
One more Chance for National Championship
Trusting the future to his faith he seems to have (from what I've heard he has)
Staying close to his Coach and Friends

Just got a Feeling......(A&M will beat texas)----:)

Keep Rockin' AD ..............:D

#1-Erin-Higgins-Fan
12/7/2006, 09:54 AM
I'll bet anybody here big money that AD will NOT come back!!! Can we stop saying this? Enjoy the Fiesta Bowl because its the last time you'll see AD in a Crimson & Cream jersey.

Blues1
12/7/2006, 09:59 AM
I'll bet anybody here big money that AD will NOT come back!!! Can we stop saying this? Enjoy the Fiesta Bowl because its the last time you'll see AD in a Crimson & Cream jersey.

What Kind of odds can I get ---- 10 to one....???

Got a extra ten bucks here looking to grow to a Hundred --- :)

kruss1971
12/7/2006, 10:16 AM
What makes you believe that team chemistry is going to suffer? AD has set the standard for hard work and going 110% on every play. Your assumption also gives support to the notion of losing your position/status because of injury. This does much more damage to overall team chemistry than bringing one of your team leaders and your best RB back into the lineup. If I was a betting man, I would wager that an anonymous poll of Sooner players and coaches would result in very high numbers supporing AD...if not unanimous.

2. Adrian's health.
Hilarious. "I'd feel horrible!" What if AD would have suffered a career-ending injury on his first carry as a Sooner? Would we have then concluded that it was not wise for him to play at all? Should he never have played? Injuries can happen AT ANY TIME...in several sports. If the doctors responsible for clearing AD to play say he is good to go, is it not reasonable to trust that they are doing their job professionally and with a high level of accountability? It's not like Stoops is basing his decision on AD's willingness to play. If that was the case, AD would have started the Colorado game.

I'm not really sure what this has to do with AD playing or not. But, I'll add my two cents. When an athlete is extremely good at what they do, other athletes - regardless of their own talent level - will always appreciate that ability and may even be "in awe" of it at times. However, you seem to be implying that much of the team was kicking back, drinking a cold one, and hoping AD would carry them on to victory during the first six games of the season. That's much more elitist than believing this team has been playing well and improving all season long. The Sooners are a team. Several of the players were already playing with a "gotta step up" attitude. Unfortunately, you basically see a two game season...one game with AD and one without. One game where we weren't that great...and another where every player took it to a new level. This just isn't the case.

I guess it's never a bad thing to have the best athlete in the nation on your side.
You are correct...and seem to be coming around at this point in the post. :)

Am I just looking for excuses to be nervous about this game?:confused:
Yes. Relax. We are the Sooners...and we're here to win.

Boomer!

dolemitesooner
12/7/2006, 10:34 AM
What Kind of odds can I get ---- 10 to one....???

Got a extra ten bucks here looking to grow to a Hundred --- :)
I will take those odds....Peem me to make sure this is on.

10-1 your paying 10 to win 100. If ad stays it would be the best 100 I ever paid ..I cant lose.

Rock Hard Corn Frog
12/7/2006, 10:36 AM
Do you think the Potato Aggie coaching staff is excited to see AD suit up?

He has nearly a month until the game. If he is cleared medically and is ready to go, turn him loose. Who knows whether he gets 10 carries or 25 but even if he doesn't get a heavy workload do you think Boise if going to give safety help against Kelly or the other WRs when AD is in the backfield.

I could see Patrick starting the game and AD coming in on the second series.

I'm more concerned in general on the health of our o-line at this point than I am of AD. I think he will be ready.

Fraggle145
12/7/2006, 10:53 AM
I am so tired of this type of thinking!! he wants to play, he deserves to play, and he is healthy. I see 30+ carries and breaking Billy's record in the future. I don't think he should split carries. He has EARNED them being here fro three years more than AP et al. have earned them for one season. But I dont think that this truly matters, because they are a TEAM and TEAMS from OU win championships.

sooneron
12/7/2006, 11:06 AM
Bad one on badger saying that he dove into the endzone. He was stretching the ball out - off balance a little and was tripped up.

arlington
12/7/2006, 11:09 AM
I am nervous about AD playing, but not because of what his playing does to the RB by committee deal..I will be nervous simply because of what getting hurt would do to AD and pro ball..Not only is he an amazing talent, but how many times do you get a player as great as AD who cares so much for his teammates and works so hard to get back on the field..After getting hurt this year, he very easily could have just been the sideline leader and waited for the combine..Look what Darrient Williams did to Okie State 3 years ago.

starrca23
12/7/2006, 11:12 AM
1. No he is not coming back.
2. Bob Stoops will first and formost play to win. All that other stuff about how many carries and when will only be an after thought.
3. Nobody "reveres Kobe." They just know he won't pass. But I see the point and any of that is long gone since they have done just as well if not better with out him.
All that being said, I would love to see OU win and AD break the record.

Bloomer_Sooner
12/7/2006, 11:13 AM
AD would be insane to risk his NFL $

#1-Erin-Higgins-Fan
12/7/2006, 11:14 AM
Do we really "need" AD back next year?

Chrisrokc
12/7/2006, 01:48 PM
AD would be insane to risk his NFL $

Playing ball isn't all about the money. There are hundreds of college and nfl players we have never heard of but play every weekend. AD is one of those few that has talent to be noticed. The game isn't all about money and he seems like one of those that isn't all about the money. He is in it for the game, not the cash.

Texas Golfer
12/7/2006, 01:48 PM
I wouldn't be surprised to hear that AD is coming back next year. The NFL hasn't seen anything but abbreviated seasons from AD this past two years. Although none of his injuries have been serious, I'm sure his stock would rise if he could get a complete season in before the draft.

OK2LA
12/7/2006, 01:55 PM
Well, it seems that I am the ONLY one who feels TENTATIVE. (I can live with that - I've been called crazy before :D )

Just so some of you know - Tentative is not an interchangable word or phrase for "should not" or "shouldn't". I never said that I didn't think that he shouldn't play.

For those of you that haven't even considered that there might be a downside of A.D. playing, I feel that you're not looking at the situation objectively. *

*that being said - the "downside" IS minimal - but it is there, whether you want to recognize it or not.

I look forward to seeing A.D. playing one last time as well, but I haven't heard ANYTHING about his status. Is he practicing? Is he practicing in full pads/contact?

This injury happened in the Iowa State game - they stated that it would be a 6-8 week recovery period - correct? I seem to remember A.D. saying that he was a "fast healer". & that many people were saying that he'd come back for the osu game - that was scratched. I also remember Stoops stating that he WOULDN'T play against nebraska in the Big XII Title game - RIGHT AFTER the osu game. Then someone followed that up with - well, he hasn't been examined by the doctors yet, and Stoops agreed. This tells me that maybe he hasn't healed as quickly as he/we thought he would. The Big XII Title game was 7 weeks from the injury. The Fiesta Bowl will be 11 weeks removed from the injury, which SHOULD be ample time (I guess - again, I'm no doctor)

Again - I guess I'm just kkkrraaazzzyy for even thinking such blasphemous things. :D

OK2LA
12/7/2006, 02:43 PM
By the way - after reading the MANY different opinions on this board has put my mind at ease in regards to a couple of things -

- Adrian getting hurt - several of you made good points (kruss1971) about that - it CAN happen at any time, and I know that Stoops and Peterson will make the right decision in regards to this. He will not play UNLESS he wants to play.

In regards to players kicking back and having a cold one, and just watching superstars play - I don't think that was the case so much with our team, but you have to realize that after A.D. went down, EVERYONE became more involved in the offense at that point. Now that he comes back - some of those players will not be involved as much, or will be on the bench again. In a perfect world, everyone wants to believe that if you're winning games, nothing else matters - I think that some of those players *might not* feel that way. I dunno.

At any rate - as long as the TEAM is doing well, and we win the game - I'm good with whoever is toting the rock. :pop:

tator
12/7/2006, 02:46 PM
Playing ball isn't all about the money. There are hundreds of college and nfl players we have never heard of but play every weekend. AD is one of those few that has talent to be noticed. The game isn't all about money and he seems like one of those that isn't all about the money. He is in it for the game, not the cash.

No seriously....he'll be in the draft. If I'm wrong, even better.

That not about the money talk almost made me emotional, though, for reals.

Easy180
12/7/2006, 02:48 PM

With that being said...He will hesitate possibly up to two seconds before signing the $4 million contract in April :cool:

OK2LA
12/7/2006, 02:53 PM
With that being said...He will hesitate possibly up to two seconds before signing the $4 million contract in April :cool:

I remember a guy who won the heisman, guided a team to a MNC and was virtually guaranteed being THE #1 OVERALL pick in the draft - to come back to college, and play his senior year, with virtually NOTHING to prove - (Leinart) There's also that guy Peyton Manning as well . . .

It is definitely the exception rather than the rule, but sometimes it happens.

I really don't have a good feeling either way about it - so I'll kick back and watch :pop:

Texas Golfer
12/7/2006, 03:05 PM
I remember a guy who won the heisman, guided a team to a MNC and was virtually guaranteed being THE #1 OVERALL pick in the draft - to come back to college, and play his senior year, with virtually NOTHING to prove - (Leinart) There's also that guy Peyton Manning as well . . .

It is definitely the exception rather than the rule, but sometimes it happens.

I really don't have a good feeling either way about it - so I'll kick back and watch :pop:

Leinart was a fool for coming back to USC and I said so at the time. I was proven right in that his stock dropped after his final year. But it had to drop. It had no other place to go. He'd just won the Heisman and the National Championship. What else was there left for him to accomplish knowing the likelihood of repeating both of those were nil.

As for AD, he's won neither of these and both could be in his grasp should he come back to OU next year. Whereas Leinart's stock could get no higher after his junior year, AD's most certainly can.

proudsoonergal
12/7/2006, 03:21 PM
Leinart was a fool for coming back to USC and I said so at the time. I was proven right in that his stock dropped after his final year. But it had to drop. It had no other place to go. He'd just won the Heisman and the National Championship. What else was there left for him to accomplish knowing the likelihood of repeating both of those were nil.

As for AD, he's won neither of these and both could be in his grasp should he come back to OU next year. Whereas Leinart's stock could get no higher after his junior year, AD's most certainly can.

If you evaluate Leinart's decision solely on the money aspect of it, yes, it was foolish. You're right - he had nowhere to go but down. On the other hand, as someone else on this thread has pointed out, glory and legend lives forever. Maybe, Matt was more interested in playing with his teammates, trying to win another MNC, and just having fun as a college kid. He lost money over the deal, but whether it was a bad decision is really only up to him, since you can't put a price on intangibles. (Plus, he probably took out an insurance policy to safeguard against a 'worse case scenario.') In the end result, he lost a million or two because he was picked 10th instead of 1 or 2. So what? How much more does he need? I bet he had more fun at USC last year than getting his brains bounced in with the 49ers.

So, in summary, AD should stay. College is more fun than the real world. :)

OK2LA
12/7/2006, 03:22 PM
Leinart was a fool for coming back to USC and I said so at the time. I was proven right . . .

I see that your myopia is almost as big as your type set size.

Leinart was a fool? Look, I don't want to get this thread off track, this has been beaten into the ground many times before. A.D. has nothing to prove. Leinart had nothing to prove. That doesn't make either one of them a fool for choosing either direction. (can they hurt or help their draft status by playing another season? Yes. OR They also are taking a chance by letting their work speak for itself . . . Mike Williams, Maurice Clarrett)

Money doesn't equal happiness - getting drafted HIGH in the NFL doesn't equal happiness or success (see: Todd Marinovich, Ryan Leaf, Tony Mandorich) I respect Leinart for making the choice he made, and the reasons he made them. His stock "fell" - he still did pretty well for himself, and YOU, nor I can say what is best for him.

I also remember a guy by the name of Reggie Bush being a sure #1 pick as well - that didn't exactly turn out either. Who knows what would've happened if Leinart DIDN'T come back for his senior season, and jumped to the nfl.

I know that you don't.

Desert Sapper
12/7/2006, 03:26 PM
I want to see AD back next year for perfectly selfish reasons. I want to see him win a Heisman trophy. I think he deserves it. I think he would be the front runner. I think OU needs to have another RB win the Heisman, and I want to see a statue of AD up the next time I visit Norman. I also think he could rush for over 2000 yards in a season. I want to see that. I want to see him break Billy's record and Steve's record. I want to see him remembered forever as the best back in OU history (which some may still remember him as). I want to see him blast 'the U' for 200+ yards. I want #8, but I don't think AD coming back or going to the NFL will effect that. We are loaded for next year, and the RB position is certainly no exception.

Of course, I think all of this is very unlikely. Things seldom work out the way I plan them, particularly when I have no hand in their outcome. The GOWWDNS is proof of that.

ashley
12/7/2006, 03:41 PM
Bob will tell him to go, as he should.

DenverSooner751
12/7/2006, 04:13 PM
I bet he had more fun at USC last year than getting his brains bounced in with the 49ers.

It's the Arizona 49ers now? Dang where have I been.

He'll go. If he stays, hoo rah. If not, best of luck AD, thanks for the smiles!

DenverSooner751
12/7/2006, 04:16 PM
It would be great to see AD running all over "Thug U".
Plus, I would enjoy seeing another thumping of the whorns to the tune of a 200 yrd day by a guy who was recruited right out of their backyard.

OK2LA
12/7/2006, 04:20 PM
It's the Arizona 49ers now? Dang where have I been.

He was SUPPOSED to be drafted FIRST overall by San Francisco . . . THE YEAR BEFORE - you know - as a junior.

It is still the San Francisco 49ers.

And in regards to your other post - I'd love to see him do the same thing, but I seem to remember a different outcome this year - when he had his chance - against the whorns.

DenverSooner751
12/7/2006, 04:29 PM
He was SUPPOSED to be drafted FIRST overall by San Francisco . . . THE YEAR BEFORE - you know - as a junior.

It is still the San Francisco 49ers.

And in regards to your other post - I'd love to see him do the same thing, but I seem to remember a different outcome this year - when he had his chance - against the whorns.

Oh yeah. LOL. I forgot we were speaking in context of the previous year. My apologies for sarcastically calling you out. Not intended! Now I feel like an @$$.

You are very correct, he did have the chance this year. I also seem to remember there being some major ball security issues for our boys in that game. I think they have developed beyond quite a bit of that now. Let's not sell ourselves short. Had we been able to hold on to the ball better we had a ton of reasons to believe we had the W coming.

Chrisrokc
12/7/2006, 04:29 PM
If AD plans to tell the country and all of his fans that he is staying this is how he should do it.

Final touchdown of the game he pounds in, or final yard he runs over to beat Billy Sims' record, he should have that back flap tapped up and he should undo it. When it comes down it will says, I'M STAYING :D

stoopified
12/7/2006, 04:32 PM
No.

DenverSooner751
12/7/2006, 04:33 PM
If AD plans to tell the country and all of his fans that he is staying this is how he should do it.

Final touchdown of the game he pounds in, or final yard he runs over to beat Billy Sims' record, he should have that back flap tapped up and he should undo it. When it comes down it will says, I'M STAYING :D

Or he could go all Arnold style and have it say "I'll be back" because let's face it, he is pretty damn close to being the Terminator.

OK2LA
12/7/2006, 04:36 PM
Oh yeah. LOL. I forgot we were speaking in context of the previous year. My apologies for sarcastically calling you out. Not intended! Now I feel like an @$$.

Actually you called out proudsoonergal - I just had her back - :D

No worries . . . just don't EVER do it again! :D

SleestakSooner
12/7/2006, 04:45 PM
I'd give Mack's left nut* if AD was to stay another year, IF he wants to stay. But above all, I want that young man to do what's best for his future, and that means stay healthy, happy and safe.

It positively burns my saddle that announcers keep calling him a "cheerleader" for the team. I don't hear them refer to any other injured player supporting from the sidelines such a stupid thing.

*Assuming he didn't give the tiny thing already to Satan for a year with VY...

LOL hell I'd give Mack's left and right juevos just to feed the pigeons.

It would be a dream come true for AD to return next year.

Regardless of his plans for next year, he will be the starting RB for OU in the upcoming bowl game.

Unless he becomes injured or is ineffective he will get 20-30 carries and either put on a real show for the upcoming pro draft scouts or get himself warmed up for another stellar year in college!

BOOMER!

StoopTroup
12/7/2006, 04:49 PM
If AD plays...

He'll play as long as he wants too.

If I was Bob...I'd run him until he got 500 yards rushing and 10 ten TDs. :D

If AD decides to stay a year...it's his decision.

If AD doesn't stay...it WAS FOR THE MONEY ! ! !

I still wonder why AP wasn't doing better before AD broke the collarbone.

I think the whole Team, on both sides of the ball, put it in another gear.

JMO...

Boffingham
12/7/2006, 05:14 PM
Once a player leaves OU, I don't care about his future. I just want the Sooners to Win. Come on back next year AD. I love ya...mean it.

SleestakSooner
12/7/2006, 05:23 PM
Well, it seems that I am the ONLY one who feels TENTATIVE. (I can live with that - I've been called crazy before :D )

Just so some of you know - Tentative is not an interchangable word or phrase for "should not" or "shouldn't". I never said that I didn't think that he shouldn't play. http://static.flickr.com/1/126779640_cb49d3d7f1_m.jpg ???

For those of you that haven't even considered that there might be a downside of A.D. playing, I feel that you're not looking at the situation objectively. *

*that being said - the "downside" IS minimal - but it is there, whether you want to recognize it or not.

Is the glass 10% full or 90% empty?

I look forward to seeing A.D. playing one last time as well, but I haven't heard ANYTHING about his status. Is he practicing? Is he practicing in full pads/contact?

This injury happened in the Iowa State game - they stated that it would be a 6-8 week recovery period - correct? I seem to remember A.D. saying that he was a "fast healer". & that many people were saying that he'd come back for the osu game - that was scratched. I also remember Stoops stating that he WOULDN'T play against nebraska in the Big XII Title game - RIGHT AFTER the osu game. Then someone followed that up with - well, he hasn't been examined by the doctors yet, and Stoops agreed. This tells me that maybe he hasn't healed as quickly as he/we thought he would. The Big XII Title game was 7 weeks from the injury. The Fiesta Bowl will be 11 weeks removed from the injury, which SHOULD be ample time (I guess - again, I'm no doctor)

Again - I guess I'm just kkkrraaazzzyy for even thinking such blasphemous things. :D

Maybe thinking outloud is not your forte`? ;)

OK2LA
12/7/2006, 05:32 PM
http://static.flickr.com/1/126779640_cb49d3d7f1_m.jpg ???

I do not know what this duck means. It is a fine looking duck though. Do ducks say that A.D. shouldn't play? Are most ducks tentative?

Is the glass 10% full or 90% empty?

I was just happy with the glass.

Maybe thinking outloud is not your forte`? ;)

The voices in my head tell me otherwise . . .

proudsoonergal
12/7/2006, 05:36 PM
Actually you called out proudsoonergal - I just had her back - :D

No worries . . . just don't EVER do it again! :D

Thanks man!!! :)

"You must spread some Reputation around before giving it to OK2LA again."

proudsoonergal
12/7/2006, 05:38 PM
Oh, and regarding the duck......AFLAC!!!!!

kruss1971
12/7/2006, 05:52 PM
Leinart was a fool? Look, I don't want to get this thread off track, this has been beaten into the ground many times before. A.D. has nothing to prove. Leinart had nothing to prove. That doesn't make either one of them a fool for choosing either direction. (can they hurt or help their draft status by playing another season? Yes. OR They also are taking a chance by letting their work speak for itself . . . Mike Williams, Maurice Clarrett)

Money doesn't equal happiness - getting drafted HIGH in the NFL doesn't equal happiness or success (see: Todd Marinovich, Ryan Leaf, Tony Mandorich) I respect Leinart for making the choice he made, and the reasons he made them. His stock "fell" - he still did pretty well for himself, and YOU, nor I can say what is best for him.

I also remember a guy by the name of Reggie Bush being a sure #1 pick as well - that didn't exactly turn out either. Who knows what would've happened if Leinart DIDN'T come back for his senior season, and jumped to the nfl.

I know that you don't.
Exactly. Some living for money doesn't mean that those who don't are fools. That's not to say Leinart isn't money hungry - he very well may be - but more to say that we are incorrectly labeling as fools those athletes who don't appear to make every decision based on how much they can earn in the draft.

SleestakSooner
12/7/2006, 05:55 PM
I never said that I didn't think that he shouldn't play.

I guess it was the triple negative that threw me...

SleestakSooner
12/7/2006, 06:00 PM
Exactly. Some living for money doesn't mean that those who don't are fools. That's not to say Leinart isn't money hungry - he very well may be - but more to say that we are incorrectly labeling as fools those athletes who don't appear to make every decision based on how much they can earn in the draft.

The main and biggest difference I see with trying to compare Peterson to Leinart is that their family background and money situations are completely different.

Leinart had the luxury of knowing even if he was injured and couldn't work another day in his life, his family has enough money to take good care of him for life. AD will most likely feel a lot of pressure to bring home some real money to his family IMO.

If AD does return for his final year it will be all that much more impressive.

OK2LA
12/7/2006, 06:11 PM
I guess it was the triple negative that threw me...

That sentence is not a triple negative - nor is it a double.

"I am not never going to do nothing"

- This is an example of a triple negative.

Two negatives don't always make a double negative.

- "I don't disagree" - this sentence is an example of two negatives NOT making a double negative.

- & it is the same in the sentence that I wrote.

" I never said that I didn't think that he shouldn't play."

- it is grammatically correct.

Now - back to our regularly scheduled A.D. thread.:pop:

kruss1971
12/7/2006, 06:47 PM
The main and biggest difference I see with trying to compare Peterson to Leinart is that their family background and money situations are completely different.

Leinart had the luxury of knowing even if he was injured and couldn't work another day in his life, his family has enough money to take good care of him for life. AD will most likely feel a lot of pressure to bring home some real money to his family IMO.

If AD does return for his final year it will be all that much more impressive.
That is a very valid difference and I'm sure it will factor into his decision. Heck, that would factor into my decision. However, it would be a gross error for anyone to believe he is a fool should he decide to stay. The fact is that he is afforded the luxury of that decision regardless of his justification.

He is impressive whether he returns or not...in character and ability. I do agree with you.

franklinjake
12/7/2006, 08:36 PM
Adrian is gonna be so pumped to play after sitting on the sidelines wishing he was out on the field administering punishment, that I can't wait to see him lower his helmit and blast this small Boise State defensive unit! I think between AD's and AP's violent running style we will have the biggest ground game of the year. 350 + on the ground! Put AD in, he will be the OU rushing leader by the end of the game easily...

goingoneight
12/7/2006, 09:29 PM
I know about the risk, but AD wants to do it. I'm a firm believer that if someone is talented enough and works hard, they deserve their time in. I do, however think, that after his record (should all go as planned) is set, Stoops pulls him for AP at CB. Those guys deserve it, too...

OUmillenium
12/8/2006, 10:01 AM

2. Adrian's health.

Valid points about the team being in a groove/gelling and not wanting to mess it up by playing AD. Coaches will consider this but then realize it is Boise St and AD will probably run through them like a hot knife through the proverbial butter. This plays right into Bob's recent gameplan of not throwing the ball unless absolutely necessary.

Will be very fun to reevaluate this after the first couple OU possessions. If Boise St is stacking the line(and they will)...will AD be slowed/stopped? Does OU begin rotating backs a lot? How much Malcolm Kelley will we see?

The good news is we have options.

tator
12/8/2006, 10:21 AM
Adrian is gonna be so pumped to play after sitting on the sidelines wishing he was out on the field administering punishment, that I can't wait to see him lower his helmit and blast this small Boise State defensive unit! I think between AD's and AP's violent running style we will have the biggest ground game of the year. 350 + on the ground! Put AD in, he will be the OU rushing leader by the end of the game easily...

I'm pretty excited about the game. He's gonna be hard to bring down, that's for sure.

bosworthsteroidmafia
12/8/2006, 01:53 PM
BOOMER!

Desert Sapper
12/11/2006, 03:24 PM
I hope we use AD, AP, and CB in the backfield. AD can run the whole game (and then some), but there's just something about a two (or three) back system that seems so much better. I think Ronnie Brown and Cadillac Williams (and a host of NFL teams) have proven that you can rotate superstar RBs. I think a split-back set is good, too, but we never run it. We should.

TheGodfather889
12/11/2006, 06:32 PM
I don't buy it when people say we don't gell as well with Adrian. The whole team stepped up to a whole 'nother level after Adrian Peterson got hurt. They've still got the fire and winning attitude along with more confidence. You think OU's run the ball well with Allen Patrick and Chris Brown. Wait till Adrian Peterson carries the ball again. 20 yard runs for Patrick or Brown will be touchdowns for Adrian Peterson.

franklinjake
12/11/2006, 09:03 PM
I'm pretty excited about the game. He's gonna be hard to bring down, that's for sure.

I sorta feel sorry for the Boise State defense (no not really), because we will be rotating AD, AP, and CB in the game. An undersized (especially in the secondary), tired WAC defense getting worn down while we have 3 fresh stud running backs all game? I can see it now, this small Boise State defense is going to try and take AD and AP head on, and I can't wait to see the defense actually try to tackle real running backs and a real offense like ours that will litteraly lower their helmit and pads and run them over and leave cleat marks on their jerseys...... Can't we just play the game this Saturday???? Gawd I can't wait for the *** whipping we will put on Boise State until Jan 1st !!! I am so not buying into the hype that Boise State is some great team.....

Desert Sapper
12/13/2006, 12:39 PM
Boise State will come into AZ like the fired-up, underappreciated powerhouse from a little conference they are. That will keep them in the game for the first half, unless we manage to destroy them by causing turnovers. We proved in the GOWWDNS that even a great team can get thwocked by another great team when lots of turnovers are involved. We should still pull away in the second half.

Good Guys 35
Little Guys 9

Sportscrazy
12/13/2006, 04:24 PM
OU is should kick Boise State all over the field. They don't have the defensive talent to win at this level. All I know is I will be there to watch. Go Sooners!!!!!!!

OU 38
BSU 10

franklinjake
12/13/2006, 08:40 PM
OU - 1,912
Boise State - 3

Texas Golfer
12/13/2006, 11:37 PM
OU - 1,912
Boise State - 3

I like these real close games where the outcome is in jeopardy until the very end, too.

spatton713
12/14/2006, 12:12 AM
AD's been on the sidelines itching to get back in the game. Hes been cheering the team on and coachin up the players, hes been there all year. Not only does he want to return but so does the team and patrick and brown. They know what he means to the sooners he laid the foundation. None of the players are selfish they have all been waiting for this moment just like we have.Unlike last year when they rushed him in and just prolonged the injury, this year they did the right thing and let him heal. He presence will be felt at practice the moment he steps on the field. His team will respond knowing he deserves it and will rally behind him. Hell be a man among boyz that night, breaking marcus duprees fiesta bowl rushing record and becoming the all time leading rusher at OU. then we can only hope he returns next year to show the country hes the best player in the country (and been for 3 years) and bring that heisman back to norman.....and clown on the U while hes at it.

Collier11
12/19/2006, 05:51 PM
I realize that its a long shot but this recent quote on soonersports.com fro AD atleast gives us some hope....right?
Q:How often are you asked about your plans for next year?

A:"I get hit with it all the time now. People think definitely, 'He's going to the league,' but there are a lot of things I want to accomplish. And just being around the guys, they're like my family. It's going to be a hard decision."

MojoRisen
12/19/2006, 07:53 PM
I realize that its a long shot but this recent quote on soonersports.com fro AD atleast gives us some hope....right?
Q:How often are you asked about your plans for next year?

A:"I get hit with it all the time now. People think definitely, 'He's going to the league,' but there are a lot of things I want to accomplish. And just being around the guys, they're like my family. It's going to be a hard decision."

Noticed this, however in the next question he is asked about the record and he admits to thinking about it some... He had not worried about it until he got hurt as he thought he would easily eclipse it. Freud slip on that one if you ask me...

I am all for him going for the MNC AND HEISMAN!

Collier11
12/19/2006, 08:49 PM
what the hell would we do next year with AD, madu, brown, patrick, and murray. A good problem to have but still a problem???

guzziguy
12/19/2006, 08:55 PM
what the hell would we do next year with AD, madu, brown, patrick, and murray.

Win it all?:D

OK2LA
12/19/2006, 09:29 PM
what the hell would we do next year with AD, madu, brown, patrick, and murray. A good problem to have but still a problem???

We'd have one sick punt/return game.

blackbeauty02
12/19/2006, 11:14 PM

nailed it with that one bro. couldn't have said it better myself. he's healthy he's gonna play. every time he's gotten hurt it's been freak accidents and that happens. He's gotta go out with a bang. This wouldn't even be a question if he wasn't hurt in the ISU game. So if he never got hurt and was completely healthy all season should we say AD shouldn't play b/c we don't want him getting hurt before the pros? He could sprain his ankle while doing conditioning or tear a rotator cuff working out.