PDA

View Full Version : J.D. Drew and Julio Lugo to the BoSox

CShine
12/6/2006, 12:51 PM
While conceding that Manny Ramírez may be coming back after all -- and where have you heard that one before? -- the Red Sox completed two moves that should significantly upgrade their offense, especially if the slugging left fielder is going nowhere, as manager Terry Francona suggested yesterday.

Agent Scott Boras confirmed yesterday that the Sox had completed a five-year, $70 million deal for outfielder J.D. Drew, who almost certainly will bat fifth and play right field. Then, late last night, the Sox struck a four-year, $36 million deal for their No. 1 target at shortstop, Julio Lugo, the onetime Tampa Bay Devil Ray whose glove is vastly inferior to that of departing shortstop Alex Gonzalez but who gives Francona a dynamic, speedy offensive player who projects to bat leadoff or second.

The Sox held off on an official announcement of both deals pending the passing of physicals, which should be routine. Drew's physical should come in the next four or five days.

"I think Drew is a great fit to complement our existing personnel," said Red Sox general manager Theo Epstein. "If you look, last year and the last couple of years -- especially last year -- a couple of our weaknesses were a No. 5 hitter and outfield defense, generally, especially with a fly-ball staff, which we have. Drew, if we end up signing him officially, he addresses both of those areas of concern."

http://www.boston.com/sports/baseball/redsox/articles/2006/12/06/exciting_signs/

OSUHeifer
12/6/2006, 02:00 PM
The Yankees and Blue Jays will pwn them anyway.

GrapevineSooner
12/6/2006, 03:39 PM
In Theo We Trust
In Theo We Trust
In Theo We Trust

I'll just keep telling myself that until Opening Day.

mrowl
12/6/2006, 03:58 PM
$70M for JD Drew is insane.

trwxxa
12/6/2006, 10:54 PM
Ranks right up there with 4 years $40 mil for Ted Lilly (Cubs)

It's sick the jack being thrown around this year for a weak free agent crop.

Salt City Sooner
12/8/2006, 04:17 PM
Yanks are bringing back Pettitte. 1 year deal plus an option.

BoomerGirl34
12/8/2006, 11:22 PM
Drew will be on the DL for more games than he plays....arrgh. What were they thinking?

Lugo is a nice fit, though.