PDA

View Full Version : Greg Maddux to the Padres

CShine
12/6/2006, 11:31 AM
Pitcher Jake Peavy says the Padres became a better, smarter team yesterday when his friend Greg Maddux and the club reached a preliminary agreement on a one-year, $10 million contract. Peavy, who at age 23 won the majors' ERA title in 2004, is eager to team up with the 333-game winner who has four Cy Young awards and 16 Gold Gloves.

“Man, I'm excited about it, I really am,” Peavy said. “I can't wait to sit on the bench and talk baseball with him. I'll be talking pitching with him as much as I can.”

As part of a deal the Padres are to announce today, Maddux also will receive a player option for 2008 that would be worth $6 million to $10 million, depending on how he performs in 2007. Signing Maddux, who will turn 41 in April, will not cost the Padres any draft picks because the Dodgers opted not to offer him arbitration. The deal apparently will be significantly less than the guarantee of $22 million to $25 million reportedly sought by Maddux's agent, Scott Boras.

Maddux went 6-3 with a 3.30 ERA in 12 starts for the Dodgers, who acquired him last summer after the right-hander had gone 9-11 with a 4.69 ERA for the Cubs. Peavy said the Padres, who led the National League in ERA last year, have a formidable rotation that would include holdovers Chris Young and Clay Hensley and swingman Mike Thompson.

“Obviously, we're adding a guy who has been one of the best of all time and is still awfully good,” said Peavy, who plans to play golf today with Maddux and former pitcher Rick Sutcliffe near Maddux's home in Las Vegas. “I like our chances, no doubt.”

http://www.signonsandiego.com/sports/padres/20061206-9999-1s6padres.html

OSUAggie
12/6/2006, 12:44 PM
It's good to be a 40+ pitcher these days.