PDA

View Full Version : Our Office is Going Paperless

Mjcpr
12/6/2006, 10:08 AM
So everyday, we have these email exchanges that contain some information about financial data that we transfer to our bank. It just says how many and how much, basically. In case they're ever needed again, I made a folder for them in my email program and I just move them over there every day.

My co-worker prints them. Both of them, every day. While that in itself is a complete waste of paper, the funny thing is that when he gets, say, a month's worth....he scans them and throws away the paper copies. So essentially, what he's doing is taking an electronic version of this document, printing it out, and then later scanning it back into an electronic version of the same document and throwing away the paper.

Maybe it's just me, but that seems like the most retarded thing evar.

OU4LIFE
12/6/2006, 10:11 AM
paperless....heh.

never gonna happen....at least not in our lifetime.

as soon as our area went "paperless", paper consumption went up.

dolemitesooner
12/6/2006, 10:17 AM
paperless....heh.

never gonna happen....at least not in our lifetime.

as soon as our area went "paperless", paper consumption went up.
Thats funny ****:D

C&CDean
12/6/2006, 10:18 AM
So they're installing bidets in every bathroom huh? Cool.

Mjcpr
12/6/2006, 10:19 AM
I was kidding about the going paperless part see, because he's printing stuff out in order to make it electronic.

See the irony?

OklaPony
12/6/2006, 10:22 AM
...My co-worker prints them. Both of them, every day. While that in itself is a complete waste of paper, the funny thing is that when he gets, say, a month's worth....he scans them and throws away the paper copies. So essentially, what he's doing is taking an electronic version of this document, printing it out, and then later scanning it back into an electronic version of the same document and throwing away the paper...

Hmmm... Sounds like the Department Of Redundancy Department. Does this co-worker appear to have serious issues with insecurity?

BlondeSoonerGirl
12/6/2006, 10:28 AM
We used to have a VP that made his assistant print off all of his emails so he could read them.

We suspected that he didn't know whow to read gud or something because she always ended-up going over them for him.

Several months later he was fired and we found out he was practically illiterate. Must be very hard to fake that kind of stuff and be as successful as he was. I can't imagine.

Oh, and the dude in Pat's story is a total dumas.

Mjcpr
12/6/2006, 10:31 AM
Hmmm... Sounds like the Department Of Redundancy Department. Does this co-worker appear to have serious issues with insecurity?

That ****er has all manner of issues.

OklaPony
12/6/2006, 10:41 AM
That ****er has all manner of issues.
I'll take that as a yes.

Mjcpr
3/12/2007, 04:14 PM
I just spotted a "quick pray".

StoopTroup
3/12/2007, 04:21 PM
Dean...

Have you ever used a bidet?

Viking Kitten
3/12/2007, 04:22 PM
:pop:

Mjcpr
3/12/2007, 04:24 PM
I just spotted a "quick pray".

Sometimes it's hard to tell because he talks to himself a lot; the clasped hands and bowed head are the keys.

TheHumanAlphabet
3/12/2007, 04:24 PM
Be afraid, be very afraid...

Octavian
3/12/2007, 04:26 PM
Dean...

Have you ever used a bidet?

those are for your feet, right?

StoopTroup
Bidet of Beer

http://www.westernsnowconference.org/2003/Images/1BidetOfBeer.JPG

TheHumanAlphabet
I was kidding about the going paperless part see, because he's printing stuff out in order to make it electronic.

See the irony?

All kidding aside, that is jacked up. Has anyone pointed out to the person, why doesn't he just archive the original email. Does he mark up the paper copies to make it different or original?

jk the sooner fan
3/12/2007, 04:29 PM
we're "paperless", all our claims documents get scanned into a "laserfiche" program, which i call "loserfiche" because it sucks

but my adjusters will print some of the documents out and work on the printed material because they can write notes , etc

paperless my ***......

Mjcpr
3/12/2007, 04:30 PM
All kidding aside, that is jacked up. Has anyone pointed out to the person, why doesn't he just archive the original email. Does he mark up the paper copies to make it different or original?

Nope, no edits.....just prints out the emails then scans them in later.

:rolleyes:

NormanPride
3/12/2007, 05:08 PM
Care to elaborate on some of this guy's issues?

BajaOklahoma
3/12/2007, 05:40 PM
Our emails at work are deleted after 180 days. Even some of the archived ones.
I just copy and paste them into Word now.

Fraggle145
3/12/2007, 10:01 PM
With all of my science literature .pdf files I end up printing them all out to read them :(. I wish I didnt have to, but staring at the screen reading makes my damn eyes hurt when you do it for 4-5hrs a day. At least I keep them all.

Mjcpr
3/13/2007, 08:33 AM
Care to elaborate on some of this guy's issues?

I've mentioned a couple already.

Right now he's banging out another mini-novel on his blog. I've looked at it before (no, I'm not posting it here) and I have never seen anything get a single response. But he dutifully posts on them from time to time. It's kind of sad....he's not bad guy, just a doofus. :D

OU4LIFE
3/13/2007, 08:41 AM
heh, Pat called someone else a doofus.

jk the sooner fan
3/13/2007, 08:44 AM
With all of my science literature .pdf files I end up printing them all out to read them :(. I wish I didnt have to, but staring at the screen reading makes my damn eyes hurt when you do it for 4-5hrs a day. At least I keep them all.

pdf files can be really tough to navigate on the screen.....its a more user friendly document reader than it was in the past, but still not the greatest imo

tbl
3/13/2007, 10:28 AM
So they're installing bidets in every bathroom huh? Cool.
So with the bidet, does one not need to wipe the anus? I've never used one, but I would assume there would still need to be some paper used, if nothing else to wipe the turd laden water off.

OU4LIFE
3/13/2007, 10:32 AM
http://img1.putfile.com/thumb/3/7109361973.jpg (http://www.putfile.com/pic.php?img=4972252)

toast
3/13/2007, 11:17 AM
"What you do at Initech is, you take the specifications from the customers and you bring them down to the software engineers."

Smykowski: "Yes. Y--Yes. That's-- That's right."

Bob Porter: "Well, then I just have to ask, why couldn't the customers just take them directly to the-- to the software people, huh?"

Smykowski: "Well, I'll tell you why. Uh, because... engineers are not good at dealing with customers."

Bob Slydel: "Uh-huh. So, you physically take the specs from the customer?"

Smykowski: "Well... no. M-My secretary does that, or they're faxed."

Bob Slydel: "Uh-huh."

Bob Porter: "So then you must physically bring them to the software people."

Smykowski: "Well... no. I mean, sometimes."

Bob Slydel: "What-- What would you say you do here?"

Smykowski: "Well, look, I already told you. I deal with the bleepdamn customers so the engineers don't have to. I have people skills! I am good at dealing with people! Can't you understand that? What the hell is wrong with you people?!"

Mjcpr
4/27/2007, 01:21 PM
In another ironic twist, at least a couple of times a week he will inadvertently enter some huge number for number of copies when printing a single page document. Or, he'll have some HUGE document open, hit print and it will start printing page after page of something he didn't even want.

Like just now. He was printing off a schedule and time sheet for people. He managed to enter 8 for number of copies so the printer is whirring away and he finally realizes he ****ed up, again, and shuts off the printer in mid-print cycle. It jams when he turns it back on naturally. Nevermind that there is a giant orange button on the printer that says "CANCEL JOB", an abrupt power off shutdown is the way to go.

This type of thing is the opposite of "paperless".

KC//CRIMSON
4/27/2007, 01:24 PM
Heh, if they ever go *computerless* you're f*****!:D

Mjcpr
4/27/2007, 01:28 PM
Uh, exactly.

jeremy885
4/27/2007, 03:55 PM
We used to have a VP that made his assistant print off all of his emails so he could read them.

We suspected that he didn't know whow to read gud or something because she always ended-up going over them for him.

Several months later he was fired and we found out he was practically illiterate. Must be very hard to fake that kind of stuff and be as successful as he was. I can't imagine.

Oh, and the dude in Pat's story is a total dumas.

From what I hear, the CEO of my company has his secretary print out his e-mails and attachments so he can read them. Sad thing is she's in MA and he's in VA, so she has to send him a FEDEX package everyday with the printouts.

OzarkSooner
4/27/2007, 04:33 PM
Folks, these kinds of stories are just crazy. Part of my job is document storage and retrieval and I can tell you that people who store AND insist on printing stuff out make us happy because they're paying twice essentially. We sure wouldn't tell THEM it makes us happy, but, it's nice to get paid double for the same thing. ;)

Paperless is vastly improved over what it used to be back inna' day and I wish more people would go that way.