View Full Version : Anybody else realize that the Domers

boomersooner28
12/6/2006, 12:48 AM
are on a 8-game Bowl losing streak!

Here's to 9 in a row! :D

Now thats funny! :D :D

Sooner_Havok
12/6/2006, 12:51 AM
Here's hoping that the Domers get the same kind of welcome and treatment from the LSU fans down in NOLA that we did back in 03

RUSH LIMBAUGH is my clone!
12/6/2006, 12:54 AM
I would have preferred they get the Michigan rematch they so richly deserve.

OUMallen
12/6/2006, 12:56 AM
That number alone is compelling evidence that they are constantly overrated.

Sooner_Havok
12/6/2006, 01:00 AM
I hate this GD Notre Dame rule in the BCS! The should be held to the same strict rules as the Mid Majors!

Winston Churchill
12/6/2006, 01:35 AM
http://www.drinkalot.com/_pictures/insane_kitty.jpg

Easy180
12/6/2006, 11:36 AM
Only wish the Sooners were the ones to hand them their 9th...Would be much more fun to take out the NBC'ers than the Local Channeler's

OSUAggie
12/6/2006, 11:57 AM
Why do OU fans hate ND so much (I realize most of the country hates ND and the other part likes them, but I'm speaking of Sooner fans, in general)? Is it because they ended the streak or because of their association with Catholicism? Or b/c their program is arguably better and they're 8-1 against OU? just wondering...

achiro
12/6/2006, 12:09 PM
Why do OU fans hate ND so much (I realize most of the country hates ND and the other part likes them, but I'm speaking of Sooner fans, in general)? Is it because they ended the streak or because of their association with Catholicism? Or b/c their program is arguably better and they're 8-1 against OU? just wondering...
Personally, it's the Catholic thing. Damn cult I tell ya!
http://holytrinitybandon.com/admin/upload/staff/staff1076895605.jpg

fadada1
12/6/2006, 12:15 PM
Personally, it's the Catholic thing. Damn cult I tell ya!
http://holytrinitybandon.com/admin/upload/staff/staff1076895605.jpg
what, in the wide, wide world of sports, is that picture????

Widescreen
12/6/2006, 12:24 PM
Definitely the Catholicism. Sooners hate Catholics - Except for Stoops. Everyone knows that.

Maybe it's because they lose nearly every game against a quality opponent yet still make it to a BCS game every year where they get it handed to them. The hype is always WAY out of proportion to the product on the field. They receive special consideration from the BCS and they have their own network package. Essentially, people who are treated differently and given advantages that others don't get are not generally liked.

OUmillenium
12/6/2006, 12:31 PM
LSU will certainly make it 9 in a row. Irish are way overrated(Japs bomb Pearl!).

DrZaius
12/6/2006, 12:37 PM
I hate this GD Notre Dame rule in the BCS! The should be held to the same strict rules as the Mid Majors!

I totally agree and if there is some kind of playoff structure down the road it should be kept to conference members and not independants.

soonerinabilene
12/6/2006, 12:41 PM
you know, i hate the domers, but i dont want to see lester win a bcs game.

OSUAggie
12/6/2006, 12:43 PM
So... it's jealousy regarding the attention they receive.... And hating Catholics. ;)

Widescreen
12/6/2006, 12:44 PM
So... it's jealousy regarding the attention they receive....
Yeah. As an OSU fan, I'm sure you can relate.

I_SMELL_FEAR
12/6/2006, 12:48 PM
They get advantages other teams dont and the media bends over backwards to push ND....it seems that way to me anyway.

Vaevictis
12/6/2006, 01:23 PM
Wasn't ND ranked #2 coming into this season, based on last season?

You know, the season in which they beat, was it NOBODY?, that was ranked at the end of the year? The season in which they beat more teams with losing records than winning records?

I dislike ND for the same reason I was getting tired of hearing about USC last year -- I get tired of having every media guy engage in act of fellatio when talking about a team.

(Yes, even when it's my own; that "best team ever" **** is almost always the kiss of death and almost always tells you you're overrated beyond belief)

Frozen Sooner
12/6/2006, 01:31 PM
Hypothetically, what do you think the general reaction of this board would be if a 10-2 OU team ranked in the top 12 of the BCS was left out of the BCS bowls?

Big Red Ron
12/6/2006, 01:32 PM
Isn't Bob Stoops Catholic? Cardinal Mooney???

Big Red Ron
12/6/2006, 01:34 PM
Hypothetically, what do you think the general reaction of this board would be if a 10-2 OU team ranked in the top 12 of the BCS was left out of the BCS bowls?We would have been if ut wins it's last two games.

Frozen Sooner
12/6/2006, 01:35 PM
We would have been if ut wins it's last two games.

I don't think we would have, actually. Had UT won their last two games, we'd have probably been invited to the Rose.

Mjcpr
12/6/2006, 01:36 PM
Hypothetically, what do you think the general reaction of this board would be if a 10-2 OU team ranked in the top 12 of the BCS was left out of the BCS bowls?

Hypothetically, did it win the Big XII Conference Championship?

Big Red Ron
12/6/2006, 01:37 PM
I don't think we would have, actually. Had UT won their last two games, we'd have probably been invited to the Rose.I wouldn't have held my breath that we would have been picked to mess up the Mich/USC love fest.

Big Red Ron
12/6/2006, 01:38 PM
nm

Vaevictis
12/6/2006, 01:40 PM

Didn't this hypothetical actually happen in 2001?

Frozen Sooner
12/6/2006, 01:43 PM
I wouldn't have held my breath that we would have been picked to mess up the Mich/USC love fest.

Oh, yeah, my bad. I was thinking back a couple of weeks ago before it looked like we were going to the CCG and USC still had the inside track to the national championship game.

Yep, you're right. We probably would have been left out of the BCS. I have a feeling this place would have melted the f down at that point.

Notre Dame gets no protection from the BCS that is really meaningful. All they get is a guaranteed invite with nine wins AND a top 8 ranking. There's some additional mumbo-jumbo about finishing higher than a BCS conference champion and being in the top 12.

Frankly, any championship system that doesn't include Notre Dame wasn't going to be viewed as legitimate by the general public anyhow, and I think those were pretty minor considerations to get them to sign off.

Frozen Sooner
12/6/2006, 01:47 PM
Didn't this hypothetical actually happen in 2001?

Yep. We were 10-2 and ranked #11.

There were also only four BCS bowls at the time. Of course, we weren't eligible anyhow as the Big 12 already had two BCS representatives that year.

Vaevictis
12/6/2006, 01:48 PM
Well then, did OU fans melt down? :)

OSUAggie
12/6/2006, 01:49 PM
Well then, did OU fans melt down? :)

I don't think OU fans felt like they deserved to go to a BCS Bowl at the end of the 2001 season.

Frozen Sooner
12/6/2006, 01:49 PM
As I recall, people were pretty PO'd to be playing in the Cotton Bowl. Fair enough, though. I have a feeling that had we been left out of the BCS this year you'd have to swim through a river of tears to log on to any OU site.

Frozen Sooner
12/6/2006, 01:50 PM
I don't think OU fans felt like they deserved to go to a BCS Bowl at the end of the 2001 season.

No team should ever be selected as an at-large qualifier after losing to OSU.

Mjcpr
12/6/2006, 01:51 PM
As I recall, people were pretty PO'd to be playing in the Cotton Bowl. Fair enough, though. I have a feeling that had we been left out of the BCS this year you'd have to swim through a river of tears to log on to any OU site.

You don't believe that would be the case given the same scenario with pretty much any top team?

Big Red Ron
12/6/2006, 01:52 PM
I don't think OU fans felt like they deserved to go to a BCS Bowl at the end of the 2001 season.How would you know what it would feel like to deserve on not to deserve to go to a BCS bowl?

Sooner_Bob
12/6/2006, 01:52 PM
DOH!

OSUAggie
12/6/2006, 01:54 PM
How would you know what it would feel like to deserve on not to deserve to go to a BCS bowl?

I'm pretty sure I know how it feels to not deserve to go to a BCS bowl....

Vaevictis
12/6/2006, 01:57 PM
All I really remember about 2001 is the Nebraska game.

I'm sitting in a little coffee shop, watching the game. They pull that trick play where Hybl handed off the ball, and they tried to pass it back to him and he tripped.

... and then Nebraska turned around and pulled the same play. I was yelling at the TV as soon as the QB handed off the ball that they were doing the same play. IIRC, only Calmus actually realized what was going on and tried to get to the QB to cover him.

Vaevictis
12/6/2006, 01:58 PM
How would you know what it would feel like to deserve on not to deserve to go to a BCS bowl?

Oh, he knows ALL ABOUT the not deserving part. It's the deserving part he has no clue about ;)

Frozen Sooner
12/6/2006, 02:02 PM
You don't believe that would be the case given the same scenario with pretty much any top team?

I do. That's why I don't think that Notre Dame's BCS concessions are that unreasonable or unfair. Heck, based on the way the rules are set up they'd almost HAVE to be invited this year even without any exceptions. Based on the latest BCS rankings, the following teams were BCS eligible:

Ohio State
Florida
Michigan
LSU
Southern Cal
Louisville
Boise State
Oklahoma
Notre Dame
Wake Forest

Wisconsin was not BCS eligible based on two teams already in from the Big 10. Arkansas and Auburn are not eligible based on two teams already in from the SEC.

You've got ten teams going for ten slots. Looks pretty straightforward-I don't think there's anyone else the Sugar Bowl COULD have invited.

Mjcpr
12/6/2006, 02:04 PM
Thank you. :)

I just tire of people complaining about Sooner fans because they bitch about _______________. When that probably is the case with any fanbase of a top team.

As long as were simply as whiny as everyone else, I'm good with that. :D

Desert Sapper
12/6/2006, 02:55 PM
I don't like the ND media hype.
I don't like the ND NBC contract.
I don't like the ND coach whining about dropping in the polls.

I like the ND fan base.
I respect the ND tradition.

I don't hate them, but I think they are wayyyy overrated. Pretty much all the time.

opksooner
12/6/2006, 03:00 PM
ND bumper sticker from the '60s:

GOD MADE NOTRE DAME #1

What else ya need ta know?

Vaevictis
12/6/2006, 03:54 PM
I don't hate them, but I think they are wayyyy overrated. Pretty much all the time.

The last time Notre Dame won a bowl game, players recruited under Barry were still playing.