PDA

View Full Version : Alabama Coaching Carousel Thread

CShine
12/5/2006, 11:41 PM
West Virginia coach Rich Rodriguez termed his meeting Tuesday with Alabama athletic director Mal Moore in New York as "informal" and tried to lower expectations that anything substantive occurred. However, Alabama will make a decision whether to offer Rodriguez the job within the next 72 hours, a source with knowledge of the discussion told ESPN.com's Ivan Maisel Tuesday night. Moore met with Rodriguez and his wife, Rita, on Tuesday at the Waldorf-Astoria Hotel, where both had come for the National Football Foundation College Football Hall of Fame dinner.

Rodriguez estimated that the meeting lasted "25, 30 minutes. How long did it last, Rita?"

"Ninety minutes," she said.

"Oh," Rodriguez said. "Well, we didn't talk about anything specific. We didn't talk about plans or facilities or anything."

But they talked about enough, the source said, that Moore planned to discuss hiring Rodriguez with university president Dr. Robert Witt, a handful of influential boosters and, yes, the NCAA. Because Alabama remains on probation for NCAA violations on Feb. 1, any potential head coach must receive a clean bill of NCAA health before the university may hire him.

Alabama assistant athletic director Doug Walker said the university stood by the statement that Moore gave Friday, in which he said he would make no comment on any candidates. Moore is expected to leave New York on Wednesday and travel to South Bend, Ind., where the fifth-ranked Crimson Tide men's basketball team will play Notre Dame on Thursday.

Rodriguez has made it clear that he wants to know soon if he must make a decision. West Virginia has a big recruiting weekend planned, the coach said, and he doesn't want his discussion with Alabama to drag well into next week.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2687119

Ash
12/5/2006, 11:45 PM
I think it's a done deal and all this is just posturing.

BTW, rare to see DiFranco quotes around these places...

AlabamaSooner
12/5/2006, 11:51 PM
RR has yet to say that he's not interested like you might here from some candidates. I thought it might be a stretch for him to come to Bama since his roots are in WV, but maybe he's actually going to give it a look though.

OklahomaTuba
12/6/2006, 12:14 AM
That would be a great coach for Bama.

I wonder if they talked to Steve Kragthorpe at all?

AlabamaSooner
12/6/2006, 12:21 AM
That would be a great coach for Bama.

I wonder if they talked to Steve Kragthorpe at all?

I don't believe so, but he was what I considered my "dark horse". I think he'll be a heck of a coach some day at a big time school.

OklahomaTuba
12/6/2006, 12:24 AM
Steve is a guy that won't mind staying at Tulsa for awhile until the right place comes up.

And who ever gets Kraggy better hope he brings Charlie Stubbs with him. That old dude can coach.

Crazy Sooner
12/6/2006, 02:00 AM
Tuba, you coulnt coach yourself outta wet paper sack, but this guy could:
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o259/hobbs70/kitty7.jpg

gonzojunkie
12/6/2006, 05:56 AM
RR is a smokescreen. This search has been about two things: hiring the best coach available; and keeping everything very secretive. So, I ask why would Coach Moore have a conversation with RR & Rita in an open room, if he were serious about hiring RR? Coach Stoops is the best coach in college football today. If he decides to come to Tuscaloosa, UA would be very fortunate. I didn't believe there was a chance at first - but after reading the data on airplane activity (hirecoachstoops.blogspot.com) the past several days, I'm starting to believe that Stoops might actually leave OU for UA. I love OU football, and I hate to see such a storied program betrayed by ignorant boosters and thug players - but Stoops could get a fresh start at UA. We're all keeping our fingers crossed here in Birmingham.

wishbonesooner
12/6/2006, 06:09 AM
Those Tide people just wont give up on Bob.
http://www.tidefans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=51156

AlabamaSooner
12/6/2006, 07:53 AM
RR is a smokescreen. This search has been about two things: hiring the best coach available; and keeping everything very secretive. So, I ask why would Coach Moore have a conversation with RR & Rita in an open room, if he were serious about hiring RR? Coach Stoops is the best coach in college football today. If he decides to come to Tuscaloosa, UA would be very fortunate. I didn't believe there was a chance at first - but after reading the data on airplane activity (hirecoachstoops.blogspot.com) the past several days, I'm starting to believe that Stoops might actually leave OU for UA. I love OU football, and I hate to see such a storied program betrayed by ignorant boosters and thug players - but Stoops could get a fresh start at UA. We're all keeping our fingers crossed here in Birmingham.

Not happening and not sure why these few select fans seem to think it will. I'm a part of both fanbases and I can tell you that the chances of that happening are even less than zero.

mrowl
12/6/2006, 09:02 AM
everytime I go to tidefans, respect for bama quickly goes away. dumasses.

ruf/nekdad
12/6/2006, 09:07 AM
Isn't the tide still on probation? When does that end? Just curious, went to the OU game in Tuscaloosa and have been a Bama fan ever since. Fans, facilities, etc, all vey nice. Class act.

OklahomaTuba
12/6/2006, 09:31 AM
Tuba, you coulnt coach yourself outta wet paper sack, but this guy could:
http://i122.photobucket.com/albums/o259/hobbs70/kitty7.jpg

Shut up, fag.

MamaMia
12/6/2006, 09:53 AM
I think Tuba would make a good coach. :)

AlabamaSooner
12/6/2006, 09:56 AM

That's the thing...most people here are basing their opinions on what Bama fans think and say from a few stupid people on a message board. Don't let a few idiots make you think that the whole fan base is like that...that is hardly the case.

Big Red Ron
12/6/2006, 09:59 AM
RR is a smokescreen. This search has been about two things: hiring the best coach available; and keeping everything very secretive. So, I ask why would Coach Moore have a conversation with RR & Rita in an open room, if he were serious about hiring RR? Coach Stoops is the best coach in college football today. If he decides to come to Tuscaloosa, UA would be very fortunate. I didn't believe there was a chance at first - but after reading the data on airplane activity (hirecoachstoops.blogspot.com) the past several days, I'm starting to believe that Stoops might actually leave OU for UA. I love OU football, and I hate to see such a storied program betrayed by ignorant boosters and thug players - but Stoops could get a fresh start at UA. We're all keeping our fingers crossed here in Birmingham.Get a life!

Stoops will be in Norman for many moons.

mrowl
12/6/2006, 10:01 AM
That's the thing...most people here are basing their opinions on what Bama fans think and say from a few stupid people on a message board. Don't let a few idiots make you think that the whole fan base is like that...that is hardly the case.

so the mods over there are idiots?

Blues1
12/7/2006, 08:57 AM
I just can't see this guy leaving for the Bama Job....Or IF he did -- JMHO it would be a Big Mistake....

http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/16082295/

What you think...??

R'

Easy180
12/7/2006, 11:47 AM
Bama has been down in recent years, but it's still a more prestigious job than WVU...If he is looking to be in the spotlight and wants more prestige being in the SEC he should take the job...Oh and the extra $2 Million (Guess) a year doesn't hurt either

He may also want to see how his spread offense would work in the SEC

#1-Erin-Higgins-Fan
12/7/2006, 11:56 AM
I think he'll go to Bama. I CAN FEEL IT!!!

RacerX
12/7/2006, 12:46 PM
I keep hearing "Tradition" from Fiddler on the Roof. -

Paul "Bear" Bryant

props
12/7/2006, 06:10 PM
things appear as though he did accept the bama job.

Ash
12/7/2006, 06:10 PM
ESPN reports an offer is on the table, but no official word of RR taking the job.

DrZaius
12/7/2006, 06:14 PM
Gator Bowl officials have said that Rich Rod is not going to coach WVU in the Gator Bowl.......

Bamamag is reporting.

Miko
12/7/2006, 06:21 PM
Will they keep their coach???

I think after much consternation, they will hold out until Monty Hall increases the offer to $200 AND what's in the box. They'll take the box.

It will turn out to be a years supply of Turtle Wax.

mrowl
12/7/2006, 07:14 PM
Gator Bowl officials have said that Rich Rod is not going to coach WVU in the Gator Bowl.......

Bamamag is reporting.

somehow I doubt that bowl officials know anything...

mrowl
12/7/2006, 09:44 PM
How does it feel to get your 3rd choice bama fans?

http://www.al.com/birminghamnews/breaking/index.ssf?/mtlogs/bama_bhamnews_extra/archives/2006_12.html#213303

PAW
12/7/2006, 09:48 PM
somehow I doubt that bowl officials know anything...

I think they know more than you think. It's coming out elsewhere (http://southernsportstonight.com/article.asp?IDNum=493#) too.

Rich Rodriguez will be named the new head football coach at the University of Alabama in a Friday press conference. The West Virginia coach will take over the Crimson Tide program vacated by Mike Shula, who was fired two weeks ago.

Rodriguez and his wife, Rita, met with Alabama athletic director Mal Moore in New York City earlier in the week, and according to sources at both West Virginia and Alabama, Moore called Rodriguez Wednesday night with an official offer.

Rodriguez is in Jacksonville on Thursday and is scheduled to fly via private plane to Tuscaloosa early Friday morning for a press conference later in the day.

The terms of Rodriguez's contract with Alabama is not known at this time, other than Alabama has agreed to pay the $2 million buyout in his West Virginia contract.

According to one West Virginia assistant coach, Rodriguez will like to coach the Mountaineers in their upcoming Gator Bowl game before taking over in Tuscaloosa, but no official agreement has been reached yet.

More information will be posted later in the day.

Stitch Face
12/7/2006, 09:55 PM
I love OU football, and I hate to see such a storied program betrayed by ignorant boosters and thug players - but Stoops could get a fresh start at UA.

A fresh start, indeed. Because things have gone so wrong for Stoops here...

:rolleyes:

FlatheadSooner
12/7/2006, 09:58 PM
Why the hell wouldn't he coach WVU in their bowl? The snatching of coaches before bowl games, in the words of Rolling Rock commercial "kind of spins my anger wheel".

mrowl
12/7/2006, 10:11 PM
or is it the 4th choice if you include Stoops? :D

OUinFLA
12/7/2006, 10:16 PM
Man, they sure wasted a lot of jet fuel flying around Norman.

mrowl
12/7/2006, 11:52 PM
or not?

http://www.wvgazette.com/section/Breaking/000000225

Blues1
12/8/2006, 08:46 AM
IF I was a West Virigina Fan I would Feel like this Rodriguez guy is a TRAITOR

He's a West Virgina Alum...Played his Football there...
Has Said he will Stay at West Virgina as Long as they want Him..
Has a Big Bowl game coming up...
West Virigina had tons of pubilicty this year maybe than in their entire history..
They been up dating all their facilities - spending millions

IF he leaves WV - for Bama --- I hope he falls flat on his face --- JMHO

Scott D
12/8/2006, 08:49 AM

West Virigina had tons of pubilicty this year maybe than in their entire history..

Boy I sure hope Iowa fans aren't sore at us for having Bob Stoops over Kirk Ferentz.

Blues1
12/8/2006, 08:56 AM
Boy I sure hope Iowa fans aren't sore at us for having Bob Stoops over Kirk Ferentz.

I don't think Bob Stoops ever said --
I'll stay a Iowa as long as they want me...... :eek:
Plus If Iowa didn't see Bob's potenial It's not our fault...!!!

Still R'

Scott D
12/8/2006, 08:59 AM
I don't think Bob Stoops ever said --
I'll stay a Iowa as long as they want me...... :eek:
Plus If Iowa didn't see Bob's potenial It's not our fault...!!!

Still R'

I think Rodriguez is getting out at the right time with West Virginia. That team has pretty much maximized right now, and even though Slaton and White are only Sophomores, the potential isn't really there for them to get a whole lot better at West Virginia (as a team). He may view getting Alabama back to 9-3, 10-2 seasons regularly a good challenge, plus it's definitely going to pay better than WVa.

Blues1
12/8/2006, 09:09 AM
I think Rodriguez is getting out at the right time with West Virginia. That team has pretty much maximized right now, and even though Slaton and White are only Sophomores, the potential isn't really there for them to get a whole lot better at West Virginia (as a team). He may view getting Alabama back to 9-3, 10-2 seasons regularly a good challenge, plus it's definitely going to pay better than WVa.

I understand all of that and yes another million a year would be hard to turn down...But you would think WV could up the pay !/2 million at least - Plus I'd like to think When a coach say's I'll be here as long as they want me - that it really means something...Once again IF I was WV fan or Alum right now I feel like I just got stabbed in the Back.....JMHO...

Plus an extra 1/2 million in WV probably goes a far as a Million in Alabama....:)

Keep Rockin'

mrowl
12/8/2006, 09:14 AM
seems like its more than just money for himself, he wants pay raises for his staff also.

Scott D
12/8/2006, 10:57 AM
seems like its more than just money for himself, he wants pay raises for his staff also.

yeah a lot of coaches tend to want that more than raises for themselves. Some of them have to fight the boosters in order to get that.

Partial Qualifier
12/8/2006, 11:53 AM
Blues:

A big mistake if he left W.V. for Alabama?? He'd be crazy, absolutely freaking nuts if he didn't take the Bama job. I don't see your reasoning.

JohnnyMack
12/8/2006, 12:01 PM

RR is making the decision he feels is best for him. I don't like it when people call others a traitor or a sellout for improving their lot in life. Alabama is one of the best jobs in college football and I think he'd be a fool to pass it up. Your attitude is borderline aggie lite here Blues.

bamabryan
12/8/2006, 12:07 PM

Hey Redneck...the only dumbasses I see are you!!! At least some of the ou fans on this forum have enough class to speak about bama football, as well as ou football with some kind of class. Why dont you get your teeth out of the dixie cup in your outhouse, and go study for your GED!

CShine
12/8/2006, 12:25 PM
West Virginia University is working to keep football coach Rich Rodriguez and the two parties have been actively negotiating today, said sources close to the situation. Sources have also said that Alabama, who has been courting Rodriguez for most of the last week, have set a 3 p.m. deadline for a decision from the Grant Town native.

Rodriguez and his wife, Rita, met with Alabama athletic director Mal Moore Tuesday night in New York City before the College Football Hall of Fame induction banquet, according to published reports. The meeting lasted about 90 minutes.

ESPN, citing several Alabama newspapers, has reported that Alabama offered Rodriguez a six-year contract worth $12 million.

http://www.wtrf.com/story.cfm?func=viewstory&storyid=17214#

LSUdeek
12/8/2006, 12:30 PM
White and Slaton are 3 star athletes. Big-time schools simply weren't interested at White at QB (Saban wanted him as a WR). Slaton was viewed as too small to start at RB.

These two were clearly diamonds in the rough. Beyond that, it's real tough to recruit studs on the O or D Lines at a school like WV. He's definitely reached his potential.

Let's just say I'm glad it's not Saban.

Beano's Fourth Chin
12/8/2006, 12:35 PM
The guy Alabama hires today doesn't really concern me. I'm more interested in who they'll hire in 2008. My guess is they'll go after Venables or Mike Stoops.

OSUAggie
12/8/2006, 12:39 PM
You think they'll stick with a coach until '08?

1stTimeCaller
12/8/2006, 12:40 PM
I keep hearing that the Alabama job is one of the best in the country.

Is it really? Why?

OSUAggie
12/8/2006, 12:41 PM

Is it really? Why?

HUGE buyout clauses that will likely be realized within 12 months of being hired.

Beano's Fourth Chin
12/8/2006, 12:46 PM
HUGE buyout clauses that will likely be realized within 12 months of being hired.

Stepping stone to 77-0?
Stepping stone to UTEP?
You're guaranteed at least a share of a national championship each year too. That looks good on a resume.

Ash
12/8/2006, 01:05 PM
Hey Redneck...the only dumbasses I see are you!!! At least some of the ou fans on this forum have enough class to speak about bama football, as well as ou football with some kind of class. Why dont you get your teeth out of the dixie cup in your outhouse, and go study for your GED!

Bama fans busting out the redneck smack on OU fans (or anyone, for that matter) is deliciously ironic.

mrowl
12/8/2006, 01:40 PM

sorry inbred.... we are F'ing hillbillies. Get it right.

And if you had a GED, you would find out that you just lost your 4th choice for head coach.

Just dig up bear and get it over with.

mrowl
12/8/2006, 01:42 PM

Is it really? Why?

not so much...

coaches that have turned down offers...

1. Spurrier
2. Saban
3. Stoops :D
4. R. Rodriguez (in the works)

Luthor
12/8/2006, 01:48 PM
Just got the word from the local sports talk radio show. RR inked a 6 years deal for $12mil. On top of that Bama had to dish out a $2mil buy out to WVU. Reportedly he is doubling his salary by going to Bama. That ain't shabby for a guy who's never coached outside the Big Least.

mrowl
12/8/2006, 01:50 PM
Just got the word from the local sports talk radio show. RR inked a 6 years deal for $12mil. On top of that Bama had to dish out a $2mil buy out to WVU. Reportedly he is doubling his salary by going to Bama. That ain't shabby for a guy who's never coached outside the Big Least.

check again. seems that hasn't been "inked" yet.

And it is funny watching the bama folks squirm.

bamabryan
12/8/2006, 01:52 PM
not so much...

coaches that have turned down offers...

1. Spurrier
2. Saban
3. Stoops :D
4. R. Rodriguez (in the works)

Hey...redneck, Bama made only an offer to RR! That is THE ONLY offer we made. It will be great, as we are leaving probation, and ou is about to be on probation! Enjoy!

Scott D
12/8/2006, 01:59 PM

Actually from 1997 through 2000 he was the assistant head coach/offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach under Tommy Bowden at both Tulane and Clemson before he became the head coach at West Virginia.

1stTimeCaller
12/8/2006, 02:00 PM
why would you publically offer a guy a job that has been on TV saying that there's no way in Hell that they would take that crappy job?

Beano's Fourth Chin
12/8/2006, 02:02 PM
Hey...redneck, Bama made only an offer to RR! That is THE ONLY offer we made. It will be great, as we are leaving probation, and ou is about to be on probation! Enjoy!

Here's you:

We're still relevant to college football dammit! We are!!!!
WE ARE!
SOMEBODY CONFIRM ME PLEASE!!!
(sniff)

mrowl
12/8/2006, 02:03 PM

do you think you can get Mike Shula back if you beg enough?

Boo Blake will take the job for free food at Mcd's...

JohnnyMack
12/8/2006, 02:06 PM

Bama fan calling us redneck and using probation smack. Good times.

Rhino
12/8/2006, 02:26 PM
http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/1511/noiwillnotrs9.jpg

Ash
12/8/2006, 03:09 PM
http://img126.imageshack.us/img126/1511/noiwillnotrs9.jpg

Greatness!!:D

Beano's Fourth Chin
12/8/2006, 03:17 PM
Official. He's staying.

Who's up next? Leach is looking.

mrowl
12/8/2006, 03:28 PM
lmao.....

This just shows that they are not the elite program they thought they are.

Beano's Fourth Chin
12/8/2006, 03:35 PM
The bar is closing, they've been turned down and slapped a handfull of times and they're wasted.

Something tells me that they go home with a Mike Gundy or Greg Davis after this is all over.

Luthor
12/8/2006, 03:44 PM
Actually from 1997 through 2000 he was the assistant head coach/offensive coordinator/quarterbacks coach under Tommy Bowden at both Tulane and Clemson before he became the head coach at West Virginia.

Pardon me. I meant that he had never had a HC job outside the Big Easy.

Luthor
12/8/2006, 03:47 PM
why would you publically offer a guy a job that has been on TV saying that there's no way in Hell that they would take that crappy job?

Beats me. Maybe it's the offer of guhjillions of dollars. You guys would be the 1st to acknowledge that enough cash can cover a multitude of sins.

props
12/8/2006, 03:49 PM
the blundering of this situation at bama is bad.

oklahoma should be thanking their lucky stars they have an AD like castiglione and not mal moore.

OklahomaTuba
12/8/2006, 03:50 PM

RE JECTED.

Oh, SNAP! :D

mrowl
12/8/2006, 03:51 PM
http://users.westco.net/justin/rodriguez.jpg

PWNEED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Scott D

this is either a troll, or an auburn slappy.

OklahomaTuba
the blundering of this situation at bama is bad.

oklahoma should be thanking their lucky stars they have an AD like castiglione and not mal moore.

Someone that worse than Nebraska's AD. Who woulda thunk it.

mrowl
12/8/2006, 03:52 PM
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v425/defnoize/lmao.png

OklahomaTuba
12/8/2006, 03:54 PM
http://users.westco.net/justin/rodriguez.jpg

PWNEED!!!!!!!!!!!!

Well, he dresses a hell of a lot better than Shula did. I never thought HC's should wear their PJs on the sideline.

Stitch Face
12/8/2006, 03:58 PM

First day on the internet?

FaninAma
12/8/2006, 04:00 PM
I bet they could get Boo Blake if they upped their offer to about 3 million a year! :D

OklahomaTuba
12/8/2006, 04:01 PM
Seriously, why don't they do what OU has done and find some really good assistant???

mrowl
12/8/2006, 04:04 PM
Seriously, why don't they do what OU has done and find some really good assistant???

because they think they "deserve" at top 5 coach after what Fran did to them. They think they deserve a coup.

Krapthorpe should be at the top of their list right now.

But I think they end up with some washed up assistent.

FaninAma
12/8/2006, 04:06 PM
I think they should go after Switzer, seriously. I'd love to see Barry back on the sidelines. Heck, he's still like 50 years younger than Bowden and Paterno.

Partial Qualifier

That's a pretty big risk (ours was too) and they're probably thinking "we're bigger than that". :rolleyes:

I'm not surprised RR used Bama to get more $$ at WV but I am surprised a guy like him didn't jump at the chance to take a step up in status.

Of course it could've backfired and then he's jobless.

Alabama's handling of this whole thing has been horrible from the get-go, including Shula's ouster before having a successor kindof lined up.

Wait - isn't Mike Shula available?? ;)

...Leach to Bama??

OklahomaTuba
because they think they "deserve" at top 5 coach after what Fran did to them. They think they deserve a coup.

Krapthorpe should be at the top of their list right now.

But I think they end up with some washed up assistent.

No doubt. Kraggie would be really good there.

They should have fired that AD long before ever firing Shula. Even if Shula wasn't the answer, you can't fire the guy after he won 10 games a season ago. ADs that do that should be shot.

mrowl
12/8/2006, 04:09 PM
http://img231.imageshack.us/img231/5886/bildehk8.jpg

TheHumanAlphabet
12/8/2006, 04:14 PM
I wonder if Watson would move from UAB???

Then Blake could be hired and he would give everybody hugs...and ginning up a new twister mat!!!

SoonerinLex
12/8/2006, 04:17 PM
It was all a big smokescreen I tell ya. Planes will be in the air shortly. ;)

http://hirebobstoops.blogspot.com/

FaninAma
12/8/2006, 04:19 PM
I just bought "Football Coaching For Dummies" and I think I've got a really good shot at landing the job. Anybody know what Tuscaloosa is like? Are the schools pretty good? Do they have good restaurants? Is it far from the Gulf?

RacerX
12/8/2006, 04:26 PM
Dear any other school's fans,

Rich isn't going to take a step down to your school.

Sincerely,

All Mountaineer Fans

SoonerinLex
12/8/2006, 04:40 PM
New blog site: http://firemalmoore.blogspot.com/

1stTimeCaller
12/8/2006, 04:42 PM
I just bought "Football Coaching For Dummies" and I think I've got a really good shot at landing the job. Anybody know what Tuscaloosa is like? Are the schools pretty good? Do they have good restaurants? Is it far from the Gulf?
Can I apply to be either your D coordinator or O coordinator? I was the QB and safeties coach at Noble High School for two seasons. I think we won 2 or three games total when I was there.

sjt
12/8/2006, 04:59 PM
[QUOTE=Partial Qualifier]That's a pretty big risk (ours was too) and they're probably thinking "we're bigger than that". :rolleyes:

I recall a lot of that attitude in Norman about 10 years ago.

I would think that the OU fanbase would sympathize with Bama right now.
The disarray in Norman in the mid to late 90's is very comparable to what is going on in Tuscaloosa but without as much internet speculation and insanity.

The main difference right now is that Castiglione is a much better AD than Mal Moore. I wonder what kind of fight JC had with power brokers when he brought Stoops to the table.

RacerX
12/8/2006, 05:09 PM

JIM DONNAN!!!!!!

sjt
12/8/2006, 05:16 PM
LMAO...his name is showing up on the Bama boards.

What did that guy ever do to get such name recognition????
His Georgia teams were pretty mediocre.

Fraggle145
12/8/2006, 05:16 PM

wow. just wow. :confused:

Fraggle145
12/8/2006, 05:18 PM
LMAO...his name is showing up on the Bama boards.

What did that guy ever do to get such name recognition????
His Georgia teams were pretty mediocre.

He failed at UGA, thats what he did. Could never beat Florida. If they hire him it would be a sad day for Bama.

sjt
12/8/2006, 05:24 PM
I told my wife, the OU alum, about the Bama/Stoops rumor at dinner last night. She was still laughing hours later when we went to bed.

As a delusional Bama fan, I said a short prayer to please deliver Bob Stoops to the Crimson Tide to free them from eternal mediocrity. To not overwhelm the Almighty with the unrealistic, I also added a mention about letting me win the Powerball jackpot.

FaninAma
12/8/2006, 05:28 PM
Can I apply to be either your D coordinator or O coordinator? I was the QB and safeties coach at Noble High School for two seasons. I think we won 2 or three games total when I was there.

You'll need to fax your resume and salary requirements to 1-888-LowTide, but I think you are more than qualified to be the next D-Coordinator at the University of Alabama. Congratulations.

BTW, you still got any connections to the players at Noble? I think we'll be neededing a QB next year.

CShine
12/8/2006, 05:31 PM
http://img236.imageshack.us/img236/3137/responsiblejournalismcr2.jpg

OUstudent4life
12/8/2006, 05:31 PM

That guy will be getting screened at every flight he takes from now till eternity, with all the posting he's doing.

Now...if there was a way to actually tell the poor guy:

...uh, dood, Tulsa's like far away from Norman, and stuff.

And Tulsa has a pretty good football coach, too.

Scott D
12/8/2006, 05:59 PM
I wonder if Watson would move from UAB???

Then Blake could be hired and he would give everybody hugs...and ginning up a new twister mat!!!

Watson's enjoying the fact that he went from having 2 jobs at UAB to just being the AD there now.

sjt
12/8/2006, 06:06 PM
I think Stoops should talk to Bama. Seems like everyone whose name comes up in this thing gets a pretty good raise. Not that Bob needs it but he could probably wrangle a little extra for the staff.

AlabamaSooner
12/8/2006, 06:33 PM
[QUOTE=Partial Qualifier]That's a pretty big risk (ours was too) and they're probably thinking "we're bigger than that". :rolleyes:

I would think that the OU fanbase would sympathize with Bama right now.
The disarray in Norman in the mid to late 90's is very comparable to what is going on in Tuscaloosa but without as much internet speculation and insanity.

The main difference right now is that Castiglione is a much better AD than Mal Moore. I wonder what kind of fight JC had with power brokers when he brought Stoops to the table.

That's what having Bob Stoops will do to you. It's easy to forget the bad times in the 90's and that was MUCH like the Bama situation. Many act like all Bama fans are crazy right now, but it wasn't that long ago that we were in the same position. And that "we're bigger than that" attitude when it comes to hiring certain coaches SHOULD be held by a traditional powerhouse honestly. That's the only way to build back a broken program. Doing anything less would be the wrong thing.

SunDevilSooner
12/8/2006, 06:38 PM
Rodriguez just turned Bama down

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2691319

tommieharris91
12/8/2006, 06:45 PM
Rodriguez just turned Bama down

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/news/story?id=2691319

Where can I get Boomer Sooner ringtones?