PDA

View Full Version : Tell me what's missing from this "playoff..."

goingoneight
12/5/2006, 08:07 PM
http://msn.foxsports.com/cfb/story/6241082?FSO1&ATT=HCP&GT1=8901

I'll give you a hint, w w w . s _ o _ e _ f a n s . c o m ...

Hello, media!!! We're just as into the BCS as LSU!!! :mad:

Collier11
12/5/2006, 08:43 PM
I think they are basing it off of the bcs rankings

Octavian
12/5/2006, 08:45 PM
but...but...a playoff would solve everything!!!!!!!111111

:rolleyes:

:D

goingoneight
12/5/2006, 08:49 PM
exactly.

My solution, take away the nonconference games and let each team play all of their league's opponents. That leaves way for OU to play Nebbish every year, and let the conference champion go to whatever "playoff" you have. None of that single elimination crap either, that's how you end up with aggies winning MNC's. And that is NOT :cool:... :mad:

soonerspudman
12/5/2006, 08:49 PM
Great example of how even an 8-team format would cause controversy. "11-2 Sooners who are really 12-1 and Big 12 Champs get hosed".

tbl
12/5/2006, 08:54 PM
It has to be at least 12 teams, preferably 16.

goingoneight
12/5/2006, 08:54 PM
But, But, But New Jersey Aggies and Boise State and Wake Forest and duh-duh Louisville are better than OU becauses they'z got more W's!!!

Collier11
12/5/2006, 09:00 PM
any format would cause controversy because people are selfish...I think the fairest way is a 16 team playoff. Each conferences champion plus the 5 highest ranked teams by the bcs that werent conf. champs!?!?!

badger
12/5/2006, 10:16 PM
playoffs would encourage teams to have wussy schedules--- like Boise State.

Now, maybe the rest of you are fine with playing Duke and FIU every year. I AM NOT. Keep the current system, or you won't have a reason to attend games until October.

OklahomaTuba
12/5/2006, 10:30 PM

Now, maybe the rest of you are fine with playing Duke and FIU every year. I AM NOT. Keep the current system, or you won't have a reason to attend games until October.

I think you have it backwards.

What we have now, which is a one and done system, means that if you lose you probably don't have a shot at the BCS championship game.

With a playoff, you could still lose a game and make the playoff.

I think you would see better early season matchups with a system that allowed for a little more risk in scheduling.

sanantoniosooner
12/5/2006, 10:32 PM
The only format that would satisfy soonerfans.com posters would be any format that included OU at all times.

Otherwise, it's crap.

OklahomaTuba
12/5/2006, 10:39 PM
The only format that would satisfy soonerfans.com posters would be any format that included OU at all times.

Otherwise, it's crap.

Some how works for Notre Dame.

(yet another good reason to scrape this BCS POS.)

tommieharris91
12/5/2006, 11:27 PM
any format would cause controversy because people are selfish...I think the fairest way is a 16 team playoff. Each conferences champion plus the 5 highest ranked teams by the bcs that werent conf. champs!?!?!

In your system, this year the 5 at-larges are: Michigan, LSU, Wisconsin, Auburn, and everybody's favorite, Notre Dame.

I like your idea, but I'd like it a lot more if ND joined a conference.

TopDawg
12/5/2006, 11:28 PM
Great example of how even an 8-team format would cause controversy. "11-2 Sooners who are really 12-1 and Big 12 Champs get hosed".

I don't think anybody is claiming that a playoff will eliminate controversy.

But what if we did have a playoff this year? I think we would have ended up in the Top 8 of the BCS. With no playoff, and us receiving an automatic BCS bowl bid, voters weren't really compelled to give two thoughts to the Oregon game. But if we would've been on the cusp of the playoffs, that Oregon game would've been talked about ad nauseum and, I believe, we would've made it into the playoff over Boise State or Wisconsin.

Pepper
12/5/2006, 11:38 PM
In the example presented, Wisconsin has no business in the playoff. They are 3rd in their conference. I do not see how the 3rd place team in any conference deserves to be in the playoff picture over another BCS conference champion.

IronSooner
12/6/2006, 01:26 AM
Could we not force everyone to join a conference, have a conference championship, and then playoff the conference champs? Doesn't seem that complicated...

Winston Churchill
12/6/2006, 01:31 AM
http://www.photopost.com/photopost/data/500/1116cat.jpg

Dead Horse
12/6/2006, 01:37 AM
http://blog.lauralemay.com/files/2004/8/27/elsa.27733.jpg

AlbqSooner
12/6/2006, 07:42 AM
We need a 116 game schedule with Oregon having only home games. That way every team would get to play Oregon at Autzen.

Merton Hanks
12/6/2006, 08:52 AM
http://www.3d-screensaver-downloads.com/images/free-cat-screensaver/big2.jpg
How cute is this?

BermudaSooner
12/6/2006, 09:34 AM

You are correct, sir. If the meaning of the Texas game is that the loser will get a 10-16 seed rather than a 1-5 seed, it loses all of its luster.

colleyvillesooner
12/6/2006, 09:42 AM
Some people will look for the "bias" anywhere.

Spray
12/6/2006, 11:17 AM
It has to be at least 12 teams, preferably 16.

This would be the biggest mistake of them all. There is no way in Hades that any team ranked 10th or lower in polls, computers, whatever, deserves a shot at a national title.

The maximum in any playoff system should be 8, with 4 being my personal preference.

And I would have a committee of ADs and media members pick the 4 (about 20-25 to try and neutralize regional biases). Forget polls and computers- the NCAA basketball committee doesn't need them (RPI is merely a guide).

dougsooner
12/6/2006, 12:30 PM
the crap that happened at Oregon this year highlights why you can't use the BCS rankings to slot your play-off teams. The computers don't recognize zebra screw ups. As evidence a few of the computer rankings have us ranked something like 17th or 18th (maybe Schn****** is actually a computer genius.....). Take the conf. winners of the Big12, SEC, Big11, Pac10, ACC, Conf. USA, WAC and 1 at large team. Lower seeds play at the home site of the higher seeds. This way travel is overcome as most fans can't / won't travel for any away game (time, $ & tickets available to visitors). Then play the final 4 on neutral sites, maybe bowl games, maybe not. Bottom line: win your conf. or go to a minor bowl.

OUmillenium
12/6/2006, 12:33 PM
Playoff, shmayoff. I love the fact that 1 loss can remove you from MNC contention. I don't dare miss a big game or else! NCAA basketball tourney is awesome, but playoffs mean you always have a chance at the end of the season(a loss/few losses do not ruin your year).

Desert Sapper
12/6/2006, 01:11 PM
Easy stuff:

Take the Conf Champs from the BCS Conferences: Pac 10, Big XII, Big 10, SEC, ACC

Take the 3 remaining teams from the BCS rankings (seed according to the rankings)

Playoff over the two weeks between the end of the season and the bowls with the games being at the home of the higher seed.

The results determine the matchups in the BCS bowls.

This year it would look like:

1 Ohio State v. 14 Wake Forest in the Shoe
2 Florida v. 10 Oklahoma in Gainesville
3 Michigan v. 6 Louisville in the Big House
4 LSU v. 5 USC in Baton Rouge

two 1st round losers in Rose
two 1st round losers in Orange

tOSU/Wake winner plays LSU/USC winner
UF/OU winner plays UM/UL winner

second round losers match in Sugar

bracket winners in Fiesta Bowl for national championship
This would give everyone a national champion, it wouldn't leave major conference champs out, and it would maintain the integrity of the bowls.

This will never happen because now there is a 5th bowl with its associated money, and you can't make a 10 team playoff work (I don't think). It would also leave ND out, would leave any mid-majors out that don't jump into the top 3 of non-conference champions, and it would leave Wisconsin out (which is apparently a big deal, despite their weaksauce schedule).

I would be happy, because it would make for some good football in the down period, would leave little room for argument, and would still provide quality bowl matchups.

My happiness is of paramount importance.

starrca23
12/6/2006, 01:18 PM
We just need a true plus one system. Play all of the bowls and then let the two best duke it out the following week.

OSUAggie
12/6/2006, 02:14 PM
Take the Conf Champs from the BCS Conferences: Pac 10, Big XII, Big 10, SEC, ACC

When did the Big East get removed?