PDA

View Full Version : Need some Parental Guidance

stoops the eternal pimp
12/5/2006, 05:43 PM
My daughter is roughly 2 1/2 and has been going thru some poop training..The problem is that she has no problems with the pee part but absolutely refuses to poop in the potty...SHe just stood in front of the crapped and dumped. She went through 8 pull ups yesterday pooping just a little in each one...Sit her on the potty for 20 minutes and nothing...she gets up and dumps right afterwards.

I have tried rewards and I have tried punishments and she doesnt respond either way..Slickdawg sounds like yours is a little bit older than mine..How is it going for you and what are you trying? Or anybody else...Please....

Okieflyer
12/5/2006, 05:47 PM
Man! I just had terrible flashbacks. :(

Yup, that's normal. All I can say is keep working on it.;)

Plus you might get the timer and have her go every 15 minutes until she does.

Dad of four...out! (Thank goodness only one daughter ;) )

Viking Kitten
12/5/2006, 05:48 PM
I'm going to PM you a suggestion instead of here in public because I don't think anybody gets as grossed out by discussions of poo as I do and hell, I've potty trained two of them. Icky.

crawfish
12/5/2006, 05:49 PM
Take the diaper off, if you haven't.

Mongo
12/5/2006, 05:50 PM
spank her with a rolled up newspaper and rub her nose in it. Wait, that is for dogs.

Good luck, I am not looking forward to training my son

Okieflyer
12/5/2006, 05:53 PM
I'm going to PM you a suggestion instead of here in public because I don't think anybody gets as grossed out by discussions of poo as I do and hell, I've potty trained two of them. Icky.

What are you talking about? :confused: On this board? Heck someone actually posted a picture of Ted Kennedy and no one got grossed out...

...ok they did, but it made them able to tolerate poo talk.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/5/2006, 05:53 PM
The timer idea sounds good...spek to anyone with 4 kids

diaper does not matter..She will hold it all day until you put one on her to go to bed...very hard headed kid

sanantoniosooner
12/5/2006, 05:55 PM
My oldest thought it was cool to move to pullups and held it in check for a little while.

Then he regressed. After my wife floundering and trying to handle it various ways I stepped in and introduced him to the poo poo chair. From that point on he had to sit in that chair when he messed up.

It only happened one time.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/5/2006, 06:02 PM
My oldest thought it was cool to move to pullups and held it in check for a little while.

Then he regressed. After my wife floundering and trying to handle it various ways I stepped in and introduced him to the poo poo chair. From that point on he had to sit in that chair when he messed up.

Did you change the poop before he sat in the chair?...

TexasSooner01
12/5/2006, 06:05 PM
Take a piece of TP and draw a face on it. Place it in the bottom of the potty chair and then tell her to poo on it.

It worked for my son. He thought it was the funniest thing evar!

Good Luck.

sanantoniosooner
12/5/2006, 06:05 PM
Did you change the poop before he sat in the chair?...
yeah, he was cleaned up.

He's just a sensitive kid and the humiliation of being in something designated a "poo poo chair" was enough to make him focus his attention where it needed to be.

To this day, the embarrassment of a spanking is nearly as bad for him as the pain of it.

colleyvillesooner
12/5/2006, 06:06 PM
what a ****ty thread.

Howzit
12/5/2006, 06:07 PM

I HATE that chair.

But I've gotten used to it.

stoops the eternal pimp
12/5/2006, 06:08 PM
what a ****ty thread.

not as much as the trash bag the poor guy is gonna have to pick up in the morning

Mjcpr
12/5/2006, 06:09 PM
Somebody send out the SBiB signal.

sanantoniosooner
Somebody send out the SBiB signal.
She isn't potty trained?

tbl
I have a daughter that will be 3 the end of January, and we're in the midst of it. It's extremely frustrating, when you KNOW they know how to do it. The best way to do it is to sit her on there and don't let her off until she poops. Obviously you need to do it at a time that it's been a while so that she's not on there for a couple of hours. If you have a little portable potty for her, set it in the living room, give her a couple of toys, books, or the TV, and just wait. Once they do it once it becomes a littler easier. You also need to keep your eyes peeled for any alone time in her room. My daughter typically won't go play by herself unless she's working on something down low. She still doesn't go on her own initiative (we have to take her in there every hour or so), but it's working. We regressed a little yesterday, but we'll get back on it. Also, switch to panties and forget the diapers during the day (except for naptime). It makes for some cleanups, but they understand that peeing in your pants has serious consequences (a big mess for Daddy to clean up). I put her on time out when I was cleaning the mess. Now we hardly have any pee accidents, but she'll still try to avoid the poo for whatever reason.

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/5/2006, 06:12 PM
I hear 1TC is incredibly gifted at controlling himself when it comes to the bathroom business!

Okieflyer
12/5/2006, 06:15 PM
what a poopty thread.

fixed! :D

Widescreen
12/5/2006, 06:20 PM
Take a piece of TP and put a picture of Gordon Riese on it. Place it in the bottom of the potty chair and then tell her to poo on it.
Fixed.

Gandalf_The_Grey
12/5/2006, 06:22 PM
I hope you know Gordon Riese is having trouble sleeping because of that post!!!

85Sooner
12/5/2006, 06:49 PM
WE had the same problem. We finally instituted chocolate kisses ( called poop chocolate) hold the comments:). Thus we made it his decision. If He went he got chocolate and if he didn't then he didn't get any. Then we laid off the pressure and it took care of itself. Good Luck

sanantoniosooner
12/5/2006, 06:58 PM
WE had the same problem. We finally instituted chocolate kisses ( called poop chocolate) hold the comments:). Thus we made it his decision. If He went he got chocolate and if he didn't then he didn't get any. Then we laid off the pressure and it took care of itself. Good Luck
wouldn't a Baby Ruth have been more appropriate?

Mjcpr
12/5/2006, 07:26 PM
She isn't potty trained?

She knows about all things poop.

blueyedsooner
12/5/2006, 07:33 PM
Ok VK...send the suggestions to me too. We have custody of my two step sons. One will be 4 in a month(Yeah hold the bad stepmom jokes) and was doing pretty good with the pee....but not so much interested in the poo.... Althought he does find it quite amusing to poo in the bathtub!!! UGGGGGGGHHHH!!!!

It's gettting pretty frustrating now....I've tried dawn soap in the toilet water and letting him make bubbles, tried fruit loops for him to aim at, tried the timer, stickers, pennies.....etc!!!!!!!

olevetonahill
12/5/2006, 07:52 PM
I aint Dean
But Just beat that *** and tell the little angles to get their **** together
Both My boys were trained by the time they were 2

tbl
12/5/2006, 08:37 PM
Ok VK...send the suggestions to me too. We have custody of my two step sons. One will be 4 in a month(Yeah hold the bad stepmom jokes) and was doing pretty good with the pee....but not so much interested in the poo.... Althought he does find it quite amusing to poo in the bathtub!!! UGGGGGGGHHHH!!!!

It's gettting pretty frustrating now....I've tried dawn soap in the toilet water and letting him make bubbles, tried fruit loops for him to aim at, tried the timer, stickers, pennies.....etc!!!!!!!
Almost 4? IMO you're pretty much past the point to start punishing when he doesn't instead of rewarding when he does.

tbl
12/5/2006, 08:38 PM
A nice balance of discipline and reward works pretty good. We've decided once we get back to GA and we're in our own house that the discipline will become more the norm.

Rogue
12/5/2006, 08:45 PM
A psychologist friend of mine insists that it should happen naturally and impatient parents can seriously ****-up a kid by strict toilet training. Yup, he was trained in a Freudian school in the '60s and swears by just letting it happen on its own.

Mongo
12/5/2006, 08:55 PM
A psychologist friend of mine insists that it should happen naturally and impatient parents can seriously ****-up a kid by strict toilet training. Yup, he was trained in a Freudian school in the '60s and swears by just letting it happen on its own.

I bet he still ****s his pants

sanantoniosooner
12/5/2006, 08:56 PM
yeah.......well he probably dreams about cigars a lot.

blueyedsooner
12/5/2006, 09:01 PM

That's what the doctor told my niece, her son wasn't trained until a week before his 4th bday.

My son sees his biological mother every other weekend (rarely happens), and she likes to mess with what we are trying to do in our home with potty training..... Whoo knows. I'm new at this and have not a clue. I've read book after book and try to be a good "step"mom...(sigh) :)

The timer has gone off....time for a potty sit! ;)

Soonrboy
12/5/2006, 10:58 PM
It sounds like the kid is getting ready to make the big step...bet you'll see your crapping in the pot in less than a week. Learning to poop on command is pretty harsh physically...quit stressing. As soon as you quit stressing about it, fine.

This might sound gross, but does anyone model the behavior?

blueyedsooner
12/5/2006, 11:40 PM
nm

LoyalFan
12/6/2006, 07:10 AM
When my son was "in training" we used to yell "Yayyyyyy!" when he was "on target".
Not long after he and my wonderful DIL tied the knot, she approached me in private and said "Dad, I'm kinda embarassed to ask this, but would you happen to know why John yells "Yayyyyy" every time I, uh...you know.?"
"Not to worry, my dear." came my response, "It's a sign of great respect."

If you make a great show of approval when the tot manages to put it where it belongs, and I DON'T mean with material rewards or candy, he/she/it will soon join the mainstream poopists.

LF

soonerboomer93
12/6/2006, 07:37 AM
purchase 1 cork

insert

remove a couple times per day

yw

crawfish
12/6/2006, 08:34 AM
We had our middle son pt, with infrequent accidents, by age two. My youngest was born when he was 2 years, 1 month old...and he then regressed EVERYTHING. He was over 3 before he was consistent again.

I'm glad I don't have to go through that again.

BlondeSoonerGirl
12/6/2006, 10:05 AM
I'm gonna sit right here and wait for Dean to find this thread...

:mack:

C&CDean
12/6/2006, 10:16 AM
Judas H. Priest pinching off a steamy loaf, you don't potty-train your kids, you potty train dogs.

When they're ready to grunt, you sit them on the toilet. If they don't complete the deed, you remove them from the toilet. If they crap their chaps, you snatch them up, put them nose-to-nose with you, and say "poop goes in the toilet" and sit them on the toilet. By 2 1/2 or so they know when they've gotta take a growler. If they're still ****ting the floor at 3-4, that's very much a discipline issue.

If my 3 year old got off the toilet and shat all over the floor he'd have one of those significant emotional experiences that changes everything in his little world. If you have done a consistent job of demonstrating right from wrong, kids will figure out the turlet thing on their own with very little help from you.

Viking Kitten
12/6/2006, 10:41 AM
Frankly, I am disappointed in you Dean. Seriously. I was "looking for toilet training is a component of child rearing and, ergo, women's work." :D

Although my advice is virtually the same. 'Cept I don't think of it as discipline so much in the "you're in trouble" sense of the word, I think of it as discipline in the "learning process" sense of the word.

My basic method is to go buy a bunch of Hanes underwear and announce to the kid that they are a big kid now, and as such, they now wear big kid underwear. That's about it. That yucky feeling of walking around with dirty underpants will guide them toward figuring out the pee thing in about two - three days and the poo thing in 1-2 weeks. Pullups are a waste of money and only hinder the process in my opinion. They are basically just a diaper with a different application method.

Two 1/2 - three is about the right age for this, and I purposely waited until summertime to do it so that I could take them outside and hose them off during the "accident/figuring out that pee in the toilet is much preferable to pee in your drawers" phase. Be prepared for accidents. They are going to happen. It's part of the process.

The most important thing to remember is that no matter which method you employ, the kid is eventually going to be potty trained no matter what you do. Why? Because children are hard-wired to want to grow up and be independent. You can't stop them. That's why we didn't use any rewards other than liberal praise and high-fives when they got it right. Independence is its own reward.

So really, use any method that works for you, but the way we did it was fast, stress-free, effective and left no lingering "toilet issues." I just don't believe in complicating things.

I_SMELL_FEAR
12/6/2006, 10:43 AM
We had our middle son pt, with infrequent accidents, by age two. My youngest was born when he was 2 years, 1 month old...and he then regressed EVERYTHING. He was over 3 before he was consistent again.

I'm glad I don't have to go through that again.

Holy carp!. I bet he was a load to get out.."Congratulations, you are the parents of a bouncing 29 pound boy."

colleyvillesooner
12/6/2006, 10:48 AM
Frankly, I am disappointed in you Dean. Seriously. I was "looking for toilet training is a component of child rearing and, ergo, women's work." :D

Although my advice is virtually the same. 'Cept I don't think of it as discipline so much in the "you're in trouble" sense of the word, I think of it as discipline in the "learning process" sense of the word.

My basic method is to go buy a bunch of Hanes underwear and announce to the kid that they are a big kid now, and as such, they now wear big kid underwear. That's about it. That yucky feeling of walking around with dirty underpants will guide them toward figuring out the pee thing in about two - three days and the poo thing in 1-2 weeks. Pullups are a waste of money and only hinder the process in my opinion. They are basically just a diaper with a different application method.

Two 1/2 - three is about the right age for this, and I purposely waited until summertime to do it so that I could take them outside and hose them off during the "accident/figuring out that pee in the toilet is much preferable to pee in your drawers" phase. Be prepared for accidents. They are going to happen. It's part of the process.

The most important thing to remember is that no matter which method you employ, the kid is eventually going to be potty trained no matter what you do. Why? Because children are hard-wired to want to grow up and be independent. You can't stop them. That's why we didn't use any rewards other than liberal praise and high-fives when they got it right. Independence is its own reward.

So really, use any method that works for you, but the way we did it was fast, stress-free, effective and left no lingering "toilet issues." I just don't believe in complicating things.

So Czar finally figured it out, huh? Good on him. :D

C&CDean
12/6/2006, 10:50 AM
Timeout.

Cooking, warshing, cleaning, ironing, vacuuming, dusting, decorating, suckling an infant, and sexing are all woman's work.

Teaching a child the fundamentals he/she needs to be successful at life is pretty much man's work. You teach them to respect females (since I don't have any chick children, it's all I know). You teach them to respect AND question authority. You teach them right from wrong. You provide a consistency every child needs. You try and make every situation a learning situation.

Females are for nurturing the child. Males are for teaching the child. Together, you end up with a well-reared child. If a child only has one or the other, you end up with an out-of-balance child. When I was a single parent, I was a damn fine dad, but a very ****ty mom. My kids suffered because of it.

OU4LIFE
12/6/2006, 10:50 AM
I just don't believe in complicating things.

so, you're not really a woman?

You had me right up til that last statement.....then you lost me.

;)

MamaMia
12/6/2006, 10:52 AM
My daughter used one of those potty teaching dolls called Gotz Aquini Potty Training Dolls, coupled with Dr. Phils method of having the child pretend to teach the doll. We had the doll a party and all. It was fun. My 2 year old granddaughter was trained in less than a week. We figured it was worth the $40.00 to give it a try.

colleyvillesooner
12/6/2006, 10:55 AM
Timeout.

Cooking, warshing, cleaning, ironing, vacuuming, dusting, decorating, suckling an infant, and sexing are all woman's work.

Teaching a child the fundamentals he/she needs to be successful at life is pretty much man's work. You teach them to respect females (since I don't have any chick children, it's all I know). You teach them to respect AND question authority. You teach them right from wrong. You provide a consistency every child needs. You try and make every situation a learning situation.

Females are for nurturing the child. Males are for teaching the child. Together, you end up with a well-reared child. If a child only has one or the other, you end up with an out-of-balance child. When I was a single parent, I was a damn fine dad, but a very ****ty mom. My kids suffered because of it.

heh, you said ****ty.

sanantoniosooner
12/6/2006, 10:58 AM
Of course Dean sucked as a mom.

His kids couldn't get anything out of that teet.

Viking Kitten
12/6/2006, 11:00 AM
Holy carp!. I bet he was a load to get out.."Congratulations, you are the parents of a bouncing 29 pound boy."

Interesting side note here... On our recent visit to the Smithsonian Natural History Museum Mammal Exhibit... the question was addressed as to why humans don't give birth to babies who are already somewhat self sufficient... like how foals can walk just a few hours after being born.

The answer is that basically humans trade a longer gestation period for the ability to walk upright. Because the human pelvis has to be small, bony and fixed vertically in place to allow bipedalism, human babies sort of get forced out of the womb by gravity. For this reason, the first year of life is just a continuation of gestation outside the womb.

C&CDean
12/6/2006, 11:03 AM
Look at VK. All smart and ****. No wonder The Czar is in love.

colleyvillesooner
12/6/2006, 11:03 AM
Interesting side note here... On our recent visit to the Smithsonian Natural History Museum Mammal Exhibit... the question was addressed as to why humans don't give birth to babies who are already somewhat self sufficient... like how foals can walk just a few hours after being born.

The answer is that basically humans trade a longer gestation period for the ability to walk upright. Because the human pelvis has to be small, bony and fixed vertically in place to allow bipedalism, human babies sort of get forced out of the womb by gravity. For this reason, the first year of life is just a continuation of gestation outside the womb.

http://robert.ettinger.com/uploaded_images/The_More_You_Know-775718.jpg

Viking Kitten
12/6/2006, 11:06 AM
http://robert.ettinger.com/uploaded_images/The_More_You_Know-775718.jpg

Just providing further proof that those people who try to force a one-year-old to potty train are morons.

Viking Kitten
12/6/2006, 11:07 AM

THERE'S the Dean I know and love. :D

sanantoniosooner
12/6/2006, 11:08 AM
Do kids crap in the womb?