PDA

View Full Version : Houston Chronicle: Tosu/OU in title game . . .

OK2LA
12/5/2006, 04:00 PM
Couldn't find this article posted on the 4th - good read for shiots & giggles -

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/sports/justice/4375436.html

Best opponent for Ohio State? Oklahoma
By RICHARD JUSTICE

KANSAS CITY, MO. — Some of you think this BCS stuff is complicated. Not
me, brother.

In fact, I've come up with a formula that will help all of you
understand how college football picks a champion. Hear me out.

Take Florida's strength of schedule, divide it by Michigan's average
margin of victory and subtract LSU's record against quality opponents
coached by guys who will publicly admit they wouldn't take the Alabama
job on a dare but would love to use it to squeeze a few bucks from
their athletic director.

When you finish, put your pencil down and wait for the other children.

Got it?

Yes, it's Oklahoma.

The Sooners are the second-best team in the nation, and if the system
worked, they'd play Ohio State in the BCS Championship Game.

Instead, it'll be Michigan or Florida. That's because the computers
aren't being programmed to consider a mistake. They could be, but
that's another story.

Only one loss legit

Voters won't cut the Sooners any slack, either. Some of them may not
remember that OU should be a one-loss team.

The Sooners do have one legitimate defeat, that to Texas. OU has won
eight in a row since, including Saturday's 21-7 walk over Nebraska in
the Big 12 Championship Game.

No team has overcome more than the Sooners. No team has shown more
resolve. No team is more deserving of a shot at Ohio State.

If coach Bob Stoops had anything left to prove, he proved it this
season by retooling the Sooners on the fly. On Saturday, he won the Big
12 crown for the fourth time in eight years on the job.

Meet the new boss — same as the old boss. Just when it seems the
A&M-Texas series could get interesting, Oklahoma's re-emergence means
the Longhorns and Aggies again will be playing for second place.

OU has just 11 seniors, the lowest number in the Stoops era. Thirteen
of OU's 22 starters have at least two years of eligibility remaining.

Perhaps the smartest thing Stoops did was move wide receiver Paul
Thompson, a former quarterback, back to his original position after
Rhett Bomar was kicked off the team.

Thompson became more than the OU quarterback. He became the OU leader.

''He's the best," Stoops said. ''If you could recruit guys like that
every single day, you would. He's in the huddle with a bunch of young
guys, and they all look to him."

Stoops should be in the BCS Championship Game for the fourth time in
seven years. He won't because the Sooners are being penalized for a
game they shouldn't have lost.

The refs have admitted they blew some critical calls in the OU-Oregon
game. That's OU's other loss. That's the one sending the Sooners to the
Fiesta Bowl to play Boise State.

Stoops refused to alibi, saying: ''We can't do anything about it. For
us to sit here and make an issue of it won't come off the right way."

But he knows what his team has accomplished. He knows how good the
Sooners are. This isn't his most talented team. But his OU team that
won the national title in 2000 wasn't his most talented, either.

''I just feel fortunate and blessed to work with a special group of
players," Stoops said. ''They pulled together the entire year. They
never made excuses. This group is super competitive, resilient. It has
a great will and determination."

Sooners can pass, too

On Saturday, Nebraska stacked defenders at the line of scrimmage,
gambling that if OU couldn't run, OU couldn't win. That strategy forced
Thompson to make plays in the passing game. He made them, throwing two
touchdown passes to Malcom Kelly.

Meanwhile, OU's defense forced five turnovers, including three
interceptions against Nebraska QB Zac Taylor.

Arrowhead Stadium had the look and feel of a Nebraska home game, but
the Sooners forced a turnover on Nebraska's first play and had their
first touchdown after 48 seconds.

They were on their way to another trophy. It's a nice trophy and should
have gotten them an even bigger one. The Sooners say they can live with
the way things worked out.

''Within this organization, we never doubted ourselves," Thompson said.
''We never felt we were one step behind. It's been a crazy year. This
dedication is something I've never seen before."

[email protected]

TUSooner
12/5/2006, 04:06 PM
Nice. Excellent point about the computers not knowing about the Big Theft. Sadly, the polls should have been able to compensate for that, but it seems the pollsters are as bad as the computers.

Blues1
12/5/2006, 04:12 PM
Good ole Gordo --- I've tried to put that game out of my memory -but when I read a artcle Like this I keep seeing a score Like Oklahoma 22 Ohio State 21 and visions on PT on the shoulders of his teamates (remember JosH) - IF could have happened - But Gordo and the refs plain A$$ wanted Oregon to Win - Plain $ simple we got Hosed....

MF*&^%$

SOONERKAT
12/5/2006, 04:14 PM
How very Ironic that Justice wrote this. Not only is he a whorn, but right after we lost to texas, he was on local radio here in Houston ripping Stoops and Co., and stated that PT is a "terrible QB, just not good at all". Amazing what eight straight can do ...

Harry Beanbag
12/5/2006, 05:11 PM
Even if the Oregon ****-job never happened, I think we'd still be playing Boise in the Fiesta Bowl.

Blues1
12/5/2006, 05:18 PM
Even if the Oregon ****-job never happened, I think we'd still be playing Boise in the Fiesta Bowl.

Probably -- but IF we got the Win in Oregon we'd also be #4 or #5 in the polls - Maybe even Tied with Michigan at #3 ...???

Problem is we will Never know..... :mad:

gotta Just keep R'

soonermeteor
12/5/2006, 05:19 PM
Even if Florida had lost and we were 12-1, we would have never hopped Michigan.

Blues1
12/5/2006, 05:26 PM
I think I've already seen and heard at least 6 to 7 talking heads and/or articles saying IF OU didn't screwed in Oregon that we would have good "claim" to be in the Champ game --- Lets just say the screams would be a lot Louder for OU to be there ---- :)

VolinArizona
12/5/2006, 05:29 PM
It would have been nice to see an Ohio state, Florida, Oklahoma, Michigan 4 team playoff. Oh well.

UberSooner
12/5/2006, 05:39 PM
Not after we left Auburn outside looking in against USC. Those east-southeast sports writers have long memories and it takes a year like this one to purge it. As much BS as it is, you have to get hosed and/or be disrespected to get in the media's good graces. Either that or be USC/Notre Dame. It makes me want to vomit but that's the ESPN age we live in. Rutgers v. Wake Forrest in a BCS matchup that nobody even snickers at, somebody wake me up.

OK2LA
12/5/2006, 05:49 PM
Not after we left Auburn outside looking in against USC. Those east-southeast sports writers have long memories and it takes a year like this one to purge it.

Just to set things straight - WE didn't do anything. It was the voters that made the mess.

IF we Blow out usc -

Allburn still bitches that THEY should've played US - Eventhough their win over VaTech wasn't a "blow-out".

If Allburn gets in against us, and THEY blow us out - usc wins against VaTech, or anyone else - they lay claim to the nat'l championship again.

It didn't matter what happened that year - someone was gonna get hosed - & us getting donkey stomped on national television didn't help the situation.

Soonerus
12/5/2006, 07:24 PM
I agree totally with article...

franklinjake
12/5/2006, 08:33 PM
Good ole Gordo --- I've tried to put that game out of my memory -but when I read a artcle Like this I keep seeing a score Like Oklahoma 22 Ohio State 21 and visions on PT on the shoulders of his teamates (remember JosH) - IF could have happened - But Gordo and the refs plain A$$ wanted Oregon to Win - Plain $ simple we got Hosed....

MF*&^%$
I HATE GORDON REISE - he flat out threw the game for his conference - I don't buy that it was a "mistake".

soonerspudman
12/5/2006, 08:43 PM
Not after we left Auburn outside looking in against USC. Those east-southeast sports writers have long memories and it takes a year like this one to purge it. As much BS as it is, you have to get hosed and/or be disrespected to get in the media's good graces. Either that or be USC/Notre Dame. It makes me want to vomit but that's the ESPN age we live in. Rutgers v. Wake Forrest in a BCS matchup that nobody even snickers at, somebody wake me up.

Agree. We live in a made-for-big-markets college football world where the Disney machine invents teams and drama that don't grow organically from a true fan base. Seriously, have you ever watched Herbie, Corso, and May and imagined them hyping a WWF event for PPV? The line has become uncomfortably thin...

tbl
12/5/2006, 08:49 PM
Good article... It makes me mad. ;)

Grimey
12/5/2006, 10:23 PM
Am I the only one that thinks we would get blown out by Ohio State? Maybe I'm just a little leery after the 2004 debacle.

I think OSU would clobber whoever they played this year.

SoonerJason
12/5/2006, 11:04 PM
dont forget.. we gave up 28 turnovers or something in the texass game.. chew on that for a while

Blues1
12/5/2006, 11:07 PM
Am I the only one that thinks we would get blown out by Ohio State? Maybe I'm just a little leery after the 2004 debacle.

Any College team can go down on any Saturday -- Just ask usc.... :)

STILL R'

Grimey
12/5/2006, 11:42 PM
Any College team can go down on any Saturday -- Just ask usc.... :)

STILL R'

I know. I'm thinking this years team is more like 2000, you know shock the world and all that against the mighty FSU. But that drubbing by USC is still in the back of my mind.

jwlynn64
12/6/2006, 12:24 AM

I seem to remember that we were going to get blown out by Florida State as well. Until the two teams meet on the field, you really don't know how things are going to turn out.

Remember, OSU played Texas when the TU quarterback had one game of experience under his belt. Even with the much hyped future Heisman winning QB and experienced receivers going against what is a truly poor secondary, OSU didn't really light the shorthorns up.

I like our chances againt any team in the nation right now. I'm not confident we win, but I don't think we get blown out.

Also, remember who will be back on the field come the first of January with a much improved offensive line.

Winston Churchill
12/6/2006, 02:05 AM
http://x4c.xanga.com/0c8a4be16823462858597/s42143790.jpg

rainiersooner
12/6/2006, 02:53 AM
Probably -- but IF we got the Win in Oregon we'd also be #4 or #5 in the polls - Maybe even Tied with Michigan at #3 ...???

Problem is we will Never know..... :mad:

gotta Just keep R'

That's an interesting point and absolutely true...the human polls are all about momentum. We ended up 8th in the polls after we dropped to the 20s...a W at Oregon probably would have given us the momentum to be in the conversation.

OUmillenium
12/6/2006, 01:15 PM
That's an interesting point and absolutely true...the human polls are all about momentum. We ended up 8th in the polls after we dropped to the 20s...a W at Oregon probably would have given us the momentum to be in the conversation.

And a higher ranking than 15th in the early season would have helped also.

RRWSooner
12/6/2006, 02:36 PM
That article is 100% correct

Best defense vs best offense, that makes more sense

And we have a darn good offense as well

TXBOOMER
12/6/2006, 10:39 PM
I'd like to see this OU team in a 8 team playoff. Bring em on.

Sco
12/7/2006, 01:05 AM
So which team does he consider Stoops' most talented?

MissouriSooner
12/7/2006, 01:34 AM
This year's Sooner team is better - on both sides of the ball - at this point in the season than the Sooner team was - at that same point in the season - that got nailed by USC. This year's team doesn't get schooled by anybody, including tOSU. We might lose the game, but it wouldn't be a blowout.

RRWSooner
12/7/2006, 09:25 AM
This year's Sooner team is better - on both sides of the ball - at this point in the season than the Sooner team was - at that same point in the season - that got nailed by USC. This year's team doesn't get schooled by anybody, including tOSU. We might lose the game, but it wouldn't be a blowout.

I hear what your saying. 2003 may have been more productive on offense, but this particular team does not get rattled easily. There is the difference right there. Gotta remember too that this team is much younger than the 2003 team.