PDA

View Full Version : Computer Stuff Know-er Bout-ers

pb4ou
12/5/2006, 02:46 PM
I want to do a couple of things but I'm not sure how. Any hints or help would be greatly received...

I got a couple of computer questions.

1. How can I take a DVD and record a audio file or mp3, like a movie quote?

2. How can I change an audio file (WMA) Windows Media Audio into a mp3 or a WAV?

pb4ou
12/5/2006, 03:32 PM
anyone???

yermom
12/5/2006, 04:53 PM
i think iTunes will do #2 automatically (WMA to MP3)

there is probably some utility somewhere to easily do #1 but i don't know

pb4ou
12/5/2006, 06:13 PM
Well, I finally found a program to convert wma to mp3, but the actual music files I have are protected.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Getem
12/5/2006, 07:00 PM
Can't you burn them to a CD? Then you could rip them to whatever you wanted

OUTromBoNado
12/5/2006, 07:15 PM
Check out JetAudio. I think it has an option to "Record What You Hear." In other words, what ever sound is processed by your sound card, it will record it to a .wav file. So, play your audio, record it to .wav, then convert it to .mp3.

Then again, I know my sound card (Audigy 2 ZS) has the "What You Hear" as an input option, so it might just be because of my sound card. But check it out anyway. JetAudio is free, so you have nothing to lose.

Sooner_Bob
12/5/2006, 07:38 PM
Well, I finally found a program to convert wma to mp3, but the actual music files I have are protected.

:mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad: :mad:

Google FairUse4WM . . . you'll thank me later.

Soonerpsycho
12/5/2006, 07:55 PM
I like MP3 My MP3. It has a record "what you hear" feature too.

http://www.mp3mymp3.com/mp3_my_mp3_recorder.html

GrapevineSooner
12/5/2006, 11:05 PM
1. How can I take a DVD and record a audio file or mp3, like a movie quote?

Well, first you have to rip the DVD.

Try Videohelp.com for a list of DVD rippers. I think with some of these, you can rip audio only and encode directly to MP3 on the fly.

2. How can I change an audio file (WMA) Windows Media Audio into a mp3 or a WAV?

I use good ol' Goldwave audio player. Just do a Google for it and you'll find a copy.

Oh, and grab an MP3 encoder somewhere down the line. Won't be able to do anything without one.

Norm In Norman
12/5/2006, 11:25 PM
Well, here is how I would probably go about doing #1:

1. Rip the DVD to your hard drive
2. use VirtualDub mpeg2 to pull the audio out into a wav file. I believe this is called "demuxing the audio".
3. Use Audacity to edit your audio file and save it to whatever format you want

pb4ou
12/6/2006, 04:25 AM
Well, here is what I so far discovered...

i think iTunes will do #2 automatically (WMA to MP3)

there is probably some utility somewhere to easily do #1 but i don't know

I tried opening the files into itunes, but it wouldn't convert them because they're protected.

Can't you burn them to a CD? Then you could rip them to whatever you wanted

I can't burn them to a CD because of the same reason. I downloaded the songs from Musicmatch for 99 cents per song. I wish I can find a way around this protection. :mad:

I like MP3 My MP3. It has a record "what you hear" feature too.

http://www.mp3mymp3.com/mp3_my_mp3_recorder.html

I tried this one but it hasn't worked yet. I am going to try it again on Wednesday.

I have two different computers, a laptop and a desktop. I have the musicmatch jukebox on the laptop (came with it when I bought it) but not on the desktop. Musicmatch costs like 30 bucks to get it.

So I downloaded them on the laptop and moved them over to the desktop. The files won't play at all on the desktop. (I guess because they will only work in the Musicmatch jukebox.) I do most of my work from the desktop.

Basically what I'm trying to do is use these certain songs for a project I'm working on in Windows Movie Maker. (SA The Animated Series)

I thought when I was purchasing the songs that they were mp3's. :(

Wednesday I'm going to try and convert them on the laptop and see how my luck goes.

OUTromBoNado
12/6/2006, 04:40 AM
Where did you buy them? If they are protected .wma files the only place you can play them is Windows Media Player.

Sooner_Bob
12/6/2006, 08:21 AM
Well, here is what I so far discovered...

I tried opening the files into itunes, but it wouldn't convert them because they're protected.

I can't burn them to a CD because of the same reason. I downloaded the songs from Musicmatch for 99 cents per song. I wish I can find a way around this protection. :mad:

I tried this one but it hasn't worked yet. I am going to try it again on Wednesday.

I have two different computers, a laptop and a desktop. I have the musicmatch jukebox on the laptop (came with it when I bought it) but not on the desktop. Musicmatch costs like 30 bucks to get it.

So I downloaded them on the laptop and moved them over to the desktop. The files won't play at all on the desktop. (I guess because they will only work in the Musicmatch jukebox.) I do most of my work from the desktop.

Basically what I'm trying to do is use these certain songs for a project I'm working on in Windows Movie Maker. (SA The Animated Series)

I thought when I was purchasing the songs that they were mp3's. :(

Wednesday I'm going to try and convert them on the laptop and see how my luck goes.

Ummmmm I gave you the solution to convert the protected WMA files.

FairUse4WM works like a charm to remove the DRM.

yermom
12/6/2006, 09:16 AM
just find the songs on Limewire, YWIA :D (gawd, i hate DRM)