PDA

View Full Version : OSU Wimmen's team article

TopDaugIn2000
12/5/2006, 02:31 PM
from ESPN.com

Oklahoma State, which was 6-22 last season, is now 8-0 after Monday's victory over Prairie View A&M. Have the Cowgirls left the state of Oklahoma yet to play? No. Seven games have been in Stillwater, the other in Tulsa. Do we know for sure how much progress they've actually made? It wouldn't be the first time a team wracked up nonconference wins and then took a plunge when the league battles began. (See Kansas last season, for example.)

But …

For Oklahoma State fans -- yeah, some incredibly loyal folks really have stuck it out through many miserable years with the Cowgirls -- 8-0 is worth hollerin' about.

Oklahoma State is the only one of the Big 12's schools that has not made an NCAA Tournament appearance since the league formed for the 1996-97 season. The Cowgirls' last appearance was that previous season.

In fact, while women's basketball has been a big success for the league, Oklahoma State has been the program that has suffered the most from the expansion of the Big 8 to the Big 12. In the last eight years of that league, Oklahoma State made the NCAA Tournament seven times. But other than two WNIT appearances, it has been a postseason desert since.

It's fair to say three big things have hurt Oklahoma State:

• Sherri Coale was hired at Oklahoma in 1996 and turned her program into a national championship contender. This is not to say the Sooners and Cowgirls can't both be good at the same time. It has just made it harder on Oklahoma State.

• The schedule matrix in the Big 12 means the South teams play each other twice and the North teams just once. And vice versa. The South teams in recent years have been better overall. The three Big 12 teams that have made the Final Four since the league started (Oklahoma in 2002, Texas in 2003 and Baylor, which won it all, in 2005) are from the South. So climbing up from the bottom is even harder when you're in the South.

• Oklahoma State made a mistake with the hiring of Division III coach Julie Goodenough to replace the chased-out Dick Halterman in 2002. She just wasn't the right choice for such a formidable challenge.

Coach Kurt Budke, with a long track record of success, took over last season and endured a 0-16 mark in league play. By mid-February, though, the Cowgirls were starting to get "scary" for visitors; they lost to Missouri by just four and to Texas by five at Gallagher-Iba Arena.

This season, Budke brought in 10 newcomers and is at least closer to the kind of speed he needs to coach the way he wants. At Big 12 media day in October, he said of rookie guard Andrea Riley, "She is as quick as any player I have ever had in my 20-plus years. She is going to bring a whole lot of excitement to the gym."

Monday afternoon, Riley won the Big 12 Rookie of the Week award for getting 11 points and 11 assists over UMKC and 20 points and 10 assists vs. Oral Roberts. Then Monday evening, she hit two attempts from the line to set a school mark for consecutive free throws made with 31. She passed Jennifer Crow's mark of 30, set in 1999.

Having the majority of nonconference games at home was by design, of course, as Budke hoped to build confidence. So far, so good. The Cowgirls have their first "true" road game Saturday at Arkansas State. -- ESPN.com's Mechelle Voepel

:pop:

OSUAggie
12/5/2006, 02:34 PM
You guys can have women's hoops.

Sooner_Bob
12/5/2006, 02:43 PM
Heh . . .

TopDaugIn2000
12/5/2006, 02:45 PM
You guys can have women's hoops.

oh yeah, I almost forgot, you have WRASSLIN.

OSUAggie
12/5/2006, 04:12 PM
oh yeah, I almost forgot, you have WRASSLIN.

Yeah... and a men's program.

orangekaje
12/5/2006, 11:31 PM
and football! oh wait....

TopDawg
12/5/2006, 11:37 PM

...that's won 1 out of the last 4 against us.

badger
12/6/2006, 12:03 AM
Oklahoma State made a mistake with the hiring of Division III coach Julie Goodenough to replace the chased-out Dick Halterman in 2002. She just wasn't the right choice for such a formidable challenge.
Would you say that she wasn't the right choice... or that she wasn't good enough:D

Oh, that joke got old after the first 20 wins against them :)

OSU doesn't need a wimmen's program... although if they had one like we did, they'd probably miss it if it was gone.

but, yknow, if you'd rather watch this...
http://www.steveconnerphotography.com/BSU%20Wrestling/2006/Oregon%20State/images/Boise%20State%20vs.%20Oregon%20State%20009.jpg

poke4christ
12/6/2006, 09:01 AM
Our women have been bad for a long time and it's nice to finally be starting to shake that. In all likelyhood we will go undefeated through non-con, but that's when the real games start. We'll see how good OSU is, but I think most people will be surprised. This is a top 25 team.

Zach

AllAboutThe'O'
12/6/2006, 04:30 PM
Our women have been bad for a long time and it's nice to finally be starting to shake that. In all likelyhood we will go undefeated through non-con, but that's when the real games start. We'll see how good OSU is, but I think most people will be surprised. This is a top 25 team.

Zach
I would like to see OSU do well myself; I want to see ****** really mean something in women's basketball. 'Course, I want the Sooners to hang a hundred when we play you but I want to see OSU make it back in women's hoops.

poke4christ
12/7/2006, 08:21 AM
I would like to see OSU do well myself; I want to see ****** really mean something in women's basketball. 'Course, I want the Sooners to hang a hundred when we play you but I want to see OSU make it back in women's hoops.

Agreed. It's kind of gotten old to have OSU suck in the big 12 and OU just blows them out. The crazy thing is that back in the big 8 days the women were pretty good. Like NCAA tourney every year good.

AllAboutThe'O'
12/8/2006, 04:28 AM
Agreed. It's kind of gotten old to have OSU suck in the big 12 and OU just blows them out. The crazy thing is that back in the big 8 days the women were pretty good. Like NCAA tourney every year good.
I used to live in Kilgore, Texas, when their women's junior college hoop teams had trouble beating Budke's Trinity Valley squads. When I heard that OSU landed Budke, I thought to myself, "better get your licks in now because in a few years he's going to have a powerhouse team."
Kinda interesting that Budke's OSU career is starting to parallel that of Sherri her first year or two. Is Sadiq (sp?) to the Cowgirls what Stacey Dales was to the Sooners?

SoonerDood
12/10/2006, 06:10 PM
that's finished behind us 9 out of 10 years in conference play.

BoomerGirl34
12/14/2006, 09:31 PM
Budke is a good recruiter, but I think Coale has all the momentum and the foundation right now- -

GoState
12/19/2006, 12:15 PM
"Is Sadiq (sp?) to the Cowgirls what Stacey Dales was to the Sooners?"

While she is very talented and is having a solid year, she's only here for one season. You guys had Stacey for four; she was so good and got better every year. I hope we can get players like her. I was glad to see her get back to the WNBA. Sideline reporting is all well and good, but she still has game...

picasso
12/29/2006, 03:29 PM
and football! oh wait....
where? didn't you tie Baylor this year in the south?